The VR thread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've been told someone recently bought a VR headset and wants to talk about it, but no dedicated thread exists! So here's one. Let's talk about virtual reality!
The current news is the release of the Oculus Quest 2, an all-in-one device from Facebook that offers great value for $299.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been told someone recently bought a VR headset and wants to talk about it, but no dedicated thread exists!
That'd be me! I think $299 is a sweet spot for VR. Particularly because the Quest can run most games all on its own, untethered to any other device. That freedom of movement makes it far more appealing to me than any other headset, because it's not just me that's excited about VR. My son can't wait, either. He doesn't know I'm getting this. The last time he tried VR was the GearVR with my Nexus 6 phone (which I pretty much got just for the Blade Runner reference), and only for minutes at a time. This is going to be a huge upgrade.

The price point pushed me over the edge, but naturally so did Half-Life: Alyx, for which the Quest alone isn't enough. It needs a decent PC with a modern graphics card tethered to the Quest to get a good experience. I've been in the process of PREPARING for this moment since last year, around the time that Alyx was announced as a VR exclusive. I upgraded my PC part-by-part over about 6 months, and now I've got a machine that's more than capable of running anything I throw at it at a decent framerate. All that was missing was, of course, the VR headset. And right around the time Alyx landed, so did COVID-19, and I lost my job. Dropping $400 on a Quest seemed imprudent—reckless even. So I waited.

Since then, I've landed a great job, and the Quest 2 was announced and priced yesterday at $100 less than the Quest. That's bonkers, but still I'm glad I ended up waiting. I immediately pre-ordered. Now, just don't tell my wife.

I'm thinking of getting psvr on ebay today. I'll need a new graphics card for my pc and can get a bundle for ps4 with a game for less than 200 bucks. If it resonates I'll likely start upgrading my computer for something a little more legit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of getting psvr on ebay today. I'll need a new graphics card for my pc and can get a bundle for ps4 with a game for less than 200 bucks. If it resonates I'll likely start upgrading my computer for something a little more legit.
Honestly I wouldn't recommend getting a PSVR today, especially if you don't already have a PS4 (or do you mean you'd get a PSVR bundle for $200?). PSVR's all but retired at this point and it's just old and shitty compared to the state of the art. It also requires accessories to function that you might not get with the headset if you buy it used. Lastly, Sony's working on a PSVR2 for PS5 which they will probably release next year, so really... not recommended.

Currently the best VR HMD you can get is the Oculus Quest 2, and it also happens to be among the cheapest (which is pretty insane). It works by itself without a computer or console too. I think you should probably rather get that.

I just can't support facebook which I believe is required. If I'm way off the mark and its not required then I apologize. Yes, the bundle for 200 or less. Comes with everything you need or should have as well. More for a run to see if this is an avenue I want to approach more. Many hobbies I start cheap and then go extreme if I like it.

At the very least my kids may get a kick out of it and then I can work on something substantial down the road.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I just can't support facebook which I believe is required. If I'm way off the mark and its not required then I apologize.
Ah well they manufacture the headset, so buying it gives them money for sure.

Yes, the bundle for 200 or less. Comes with everything you need or should have as well. More for a run and see if this is an avenue I want to approach more.
Yeah I'm familiar with these bundles, they retailed for that price last year with like 5 games included. It's your choice of course but it's a bad deal to me. Since you don't have a compatible PC I'd recommend either waiting for PSVR2 or until you get a better graphics card.

Griffith

My posts are better.
Since then, I've landed a great job, and the Quest 2 was announced and priced yesterday at $100 less than the Quest. That's bonkers, but still I'm glad I ended up waiting. I immediately pre-ordered. Now, just don't tell my wife.
Congrats man! I can't wait to hear what you think of Alyx as a real Half-Life fan (I probably wouldn't have played it if not for the VR angle =). Quest 2 looks awesome, but yeah... don't tell the wife. It's like coming home with magic beans during the plague and it's not something that blends in the background like your other games; one reason I can't easily get a PS5 is because that stupid white design stands out too much (stick with interchangeable black boxes, Sony =). Hey, at least this is a solution for our own dreadful reality!

Yes, the bundle for 200 or less. Comes with everything you need or should have as well. More for a run to see if this is an avenue I want to approach more. Many hobbies I start cheap and then go extreme if I like it.

At the very least my kids may get a kick out of it and then I can work on something substantial down the road.
Well, Aaz won't recommend this either, but if you aren't already set on PSVR for your kids you might do what I did and split the difference with a cheap Windows Mixed Reality headset off eBay (you can get them for $100-200). I've tried PSVR as well and Aaz is right that it's lacking, and while WMR is certainly no Quest, if you're looking for a cheap entry point to try it I think you'd get more value out of a PC setup unless your card truly can't run anything; except for Alyx and some others it's not impossibly demanding to run average VR games, but it'll be a lot better than PSVR. Anyway, if Quest 2, maybe the best deal in gaming, isn't an option and the comfort and accessibility of the PS4 is paramount though I get it.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Aaz won't recommend this either, but if you aren't already set on PSVR for your kids you might do what I did and split the difference with a cheap Windows Mixed Reality headset off eBay (you can get them for $100-200).
I would have actually but he said his PC wasn't up to snuff! Although to be frank you scored a pretty nice deal all things considered, I'd say you lucked out... Most of those early WMR headsets were... not great.

A used quest isn't that bad.
Get it for cheap though! $150 might be a good deal if you can find one for that price.

Griffith

My posts are better.
Ok ok. You guys have convinced me to wait. A used quest isn't that bad.
Yeah, and like Aaz indicated, the asking price ought to be coming down.

I would have actually but he said his PC wasn't up to snuff! Although to be frank you scored a pretty nice deal all things considered, I'd say you lucked out... Most of those early WMR headsets were... not great.
I got luckier than I even knew at the time since I didn't fully understand the value of specs like FOV that can really compromise the experience and I just happened to get one comparable to Oculus in that regard. I probably wouldn't be too happy if I was only seeing 90 degrees around me. Anyway, it was a nice way to jump in without breaking the bank, now Quest 2 let's one go top of the line for starter money. Win/win whether you've already got a VR setup or not.

Top Bottom