True Detective

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Last night's episode was probably my least favorite, although it did have some great moments in it. Seeing Cohle and Marty reconnect was really great, and the scene in the storage locker was eerie as hell.

However, I think whether or not I enjoy this episode more the next time around will be based on how this week's episode plays out. The ending to this episode wasn't my favorite, mainly because
I hate that the man with the scars is someone we've already seen. I was really hoping for someone that hadn't been introduced yet, but I may change my mind, depending on what else we see of him

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Agree on all points, Rhom. However, if any show has bought itself some leeway for a lame episode, it's this one. It was pretty much just all exposition, which is necessary, but not what most people come to the show for. I'm here for the characters.

And yeah, that final scene with the reveal was super lame. He finishes that line all by himself...? Whatever...

BTW, if anyone has subtitles for the scene with the old woman, I'd love to know what she said about Carcosa. I couldn't totally understand her... The hymn that eats time...?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
However, if any show has bought itself some leeway for a lame episode, it's this one.

I agree 100%. It certainly won't keep me from watching the final episode. :guts:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Agree on all points, Rhom. However, if any show has bought itself some leeway for a lame episode, it's this one. It was pretty much just all exposition, which is necessary, but not what most people come to the show for. I'm here for the characters.

And yeah, that final scene with the reveal was super lame. He finishes that line all by himself...? Whatever...

BTW, if anyone has subtitles for the scene with the old woman, I'd love to know what she said about Carcosa. I couldn't totally understand her... The hymn that eats time...?

I enjoyed the episode overall, but
that part with the finishing the line alone was pretty lame and the way the two black detectives sort of blew him off and drove off seemed a bit wonky to me. I did suspect that the lawnmower man was the scarred man because of how his beard covered up his chin at that point and I'd seen some speculation elsewhere about it.

I didn't quite catch that part of what she was saying, but if you missed it, she talked about how the patriarch Tuttle didn't like women after they stopped being virgins or had children. I think she might have been saying "him that eats time"

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I enjoyed the episode, just not my fave.

Here's the best I could find on what Delores said:

Cohle shows Miss D a drawing/pic of the devil nets.
*Miss D: You know Carcosa?
Cohle: What is it?
Miss D: Him who eats time.
Him robes. . . It’s a wind of invisible voices.
Rejoice. Death is not the end.
Rejoice. Death is not the end.
You know Carcosa?
You rejoice.
Carcosa?*

Deci

I think losing the interview narrative is what brought this episode down for some people. Which I understand, but
seeing Hart and Cohle reunite and work together again was bad ass, if predictable. Funny about Errol (lawnmower guy), I speculated that on the bottom of the previous page because of the green ears (which I felt was a stretch) but tossed it out because I didn't see any scars.

"He's the sheriff, he won't talk to you."
"I've got a car battery and two jumper cables say otherwise."
Fuckin' Rust! Love it. Then with the ambush on the boat. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the same guy that Cohle slapped in one of first episodes, I think?

Even though they weren't listed as such, with the narrative change I feel like these are two parts of the same chapter. The finale will probably make this episode seem better in hindsight I'm betting.

Can't wait. :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Finale is tomorrow, you guys... :daiba:

judo-cry7.gif

Deci

"Anything I left behind I don't need."

Actually his whole last conversation with Hart was quotable.
I think Matthew McConaughey should win an Emmy. :daiba:

EDIT: This finale didn't do some things as well as I would've liked and other things much better than I was hoping.
I was sure that Maggie's dad was in on it somehow and that Audrey had been sexually abused somehow, but I guess all that stuff was just a part of Hart's character development. I was looking too deeply into narrative metaphors and seeing literal clues, I guess. I am very happy with Cohle's emotional destination by the end of it, with him crying and seeing a positive truth to the universe for himself and acquiring a great friend along the way. Also with Hart's concluding development with his family and stuff. Just great.

Fantastic writing, all the way around. Saw this on reddit,
GVTJV5W.jpg

:ubik:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Wow. Excellent finale.

The only thing I'm still wondering is is
who is/was the Yellow King? I've seen a lot of poised theories on it, but I didn't expect to not get an answer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely loved it.

That final sequence was really a lot more than I was expecting. What a solid, compelling way to end the show that calls back to what made it strong in the first place. These characters fundamentally changed over the course of the show. That's good TV.

Johnstantine said:
The only thing I'm still wondering is is
who is/was the Yellow King? I've seen a lot of poised theories on it, but I didn't expect to not get an answer.

I'd guess this: http://i.imgur.com/TjEDI7Jh.jpg Or at least, this was a man-made representation of it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The more I sit with it, the more I enjoy the ending. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us next year (and I can't wait for the Blu-ray set of season 1 so I can watch some of the episodes with the subtitle track on; some of those accents are hard to understand).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Absolutely loved it.

That final sequence was really a lot more than I was expecting. What a solid, compelling way to end the show that calls back to what made it strong in the first place. These characters fundamentally changed over the course of the show. That's good TV.

I'd guess this: http://i.imgur.com/TjEDI7Jh.jpg Or at least, this was a man-made representation of it.

That makes a lot of sense. My screen was too dark for me to actually see that. I wonder if they're going to elaborate on it further down the line in other seasons by using it as a central plot point? I hope so because I've become really intrigued by it.

Dar_Klink

I'm really sad we have to leave these characters behind, Harrelson and McConaughey were great and I hope that the direction, script, and everything else can be equaled or topped for the next season, even if it'll be really hard to get leads of that caliber again.
Johnstantine said:
That makes a lot of sense. My screen was too dark for me to actually see that. I wonder if they're going to elaborate on it further down the line in other seasons by using it as a central plot point? I hope so because I've become really intrigued by it.
I don't think they'll be doing that. From what I know it's going to be completely different stories and characters, although that might have changed over time. The way I see it, the whole cult and serial murders stuff, as interesting as it was, was only a backdrop for showcasing Marty and Rust as characters. I'm sure there will at least be references to it in future seasons though.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm surprised at how split the internet community is on the ending (or perhaps not :schierke:) People either loved it or hated it.

I also loved it.
It was emotionally satisfying, striking a perfect balance between a happy yet bittersweet and somewhat open-ended ending. I don't mean open ended in terms of character development. That was, like Walter said, a solid note for the characters to exit on. They went on a journey and it changed them. Few shows are able to pull this off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I'm surprised at how split the internet community is on the ending (or perhaps not :schierke:) People either loved it or hated it.

I've read several negative impressions on it from people who were expecting unrealistic things from this,
like a BIG, CRAZY REVEAL that Marty's Father-in-Law was part of the cult and had secretly raped his daughter :magni:
(I feel stupid for spoiler tagging that, but just making sure...).

The people that seemed to be keyed in on the actual show, not holding out for some Shyamalan-esque ending, seemed to have been satisfied by how straightforward the ending was.

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
I've read several negative impressions on it from people who were expecting unrealistic things from this, like a BIG, CRAZY REVEAL that Marty's Father-in-Law was part of the cult and had secretly raped his daughter :magni: The people that seemed to be keyed in on the actual show, and not some convoluted meta-show within the show that they'd created, seemed to have been satisfied by it.
Don't forget that the Cthulhu Mythos were going to come into play and there would be supernatural elements! We learned nothing about the cult! What a shit show. :troll:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Dar Klink said:
Don't forget that the Cthulhu Mythos were going to come into play and there would be supernatural elements! We learned nothing about the cult! What a shit show. :troll:

See, that's what inherently blew me away while watching it. It wasn't about that at all. It was about the progression of the characters. Was I interested in the cult? Yeah, definitely. But I was WAY more interested in the characters.

And just to throw it out there,
the scene when Cohle sees the galaxy absolutely blew my mind. Out of the entire season, that one particular moment resonated with me so much. It's hard to describe, but to me it was such a perfect moment. And then, after the hospital scene...it was just wow. Cohle had completely changed from what he was: a pessimist. It was so beautifully crafted and such a natural progression.

Time to watch it all again!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For those who have seen the finale and are curious about some of the details behind it, here's an interview with Pizzolato about the finale and his take on fan reaction to the whole season: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-looks-back-on-season-1

Some neat stuff in there that answers things I was still curious about, like Errol's voice changes.

Also, a bit about his headspace for Season 2:

I don't know where you are in working on season 2, but has any of the reaction to this season informed what you're doing with the next?

Nic Pizzolatto:
It's informed exactly one thing. It's that I realize I need to keep being strange. Don't play the next one straight.

Can you tell me anything at all about season 2?

Nic Pizzolatto:
Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.

Great ending to a great show. Those 8 episodes flew by too quick :judo:

But I´ve been trying for the life of me to figure out what Cohle's last words are, I only hear "once theres only dark.... something light? something" :???:

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWLpJRlBYA Hart's mouth! :ganishka:

Also, watched that Oscars parody clip...
The evolution of MM's acting career :iva:

The_Wedding_Planner_Poster.jpg
51nbsaOibNL.jpg

Blu_ray_720p_template_large.jpg
movie_music_10_comedy_romantic-fp-e47ec2aa76cfe093ba57191b03c82e23.jpg

mcconaughey-true-detective.jpg

I think I might´ve seen that clip or something very similar anyway just before the show started, needless to say it instantly got me hooked. And I´ve been listening through the whole OST and as you all know its got some great songs, didnt notice them all when actually watching the show, except for the awesome credits songs of course.

I have stayed away from here since the finale just to let it all sink in. I will start with I thoroughly enjoyed the series and the finale. What bothers me has nothing to do with the show just the peoples view on the show that I have talked to about it ( about 15 ) This is with most things but what the fuck were they watching? I hear some crazy shit about how it had to be Rust! or how they only introduced the killer at the end and he wasn't connected to the story... SMH, well anyway I loved how grounded this show was, no mystical force the story is told so well and there is a reason for everyones motivations and they are fleshed out nicely. As I spoke about it I really realized how everything came full circle and when I look back nothing was out of place for me. Great show, great acting and I love the one liners it produced that I will be saying for years to come.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Guys I know this is a bit late, but (I haven't read this thread nor finished the show - at episode 7) this is a theory I'm pretty much sold on. How close is it on identifying the
yellow king
?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24

Top Bottom