TV Series: Lost

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Even the Simpsons took part in the LOST final.

simpsonse.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Didn't the producers refute somewhere along the line that
they weren't actually dead or in purgatory or whatever? Way to have literally NO idea what you're doing... seriously..

Well it was clear long ago that they weren't following any kind of grand plan so there's no reason to act surprised now. Besides, being on the island itself wasn't being in purgatory, but the alternate universe in the last season was a fabrication they used to "wait for each other" or some such bullshit before going to heaven or being reincarnated or whatever.
Anyway, I could nitpick on details and point out contradictions and all, but at this point I just don't see... the point. The finale was like I expected it to be, and I guess someone deserves a pat on the back for some of the more inspired symbolism and references. The acting was convincing enough and the music used appropriately. I would say in that regard it was better than I thought it'd be. Overall, not a bad episode of Lost.

But in the end, this isn't a show I would recommend anyone to watch. No finale could have redeemed it.

Deci said:
The point was, and I assume most people would understand, is it shouldn't be help up against shows that come on premium channels. It's on the same level of other cable television shows such as... oh I dunno... CSI or something. :puck:

Hahaha, are you joking or something? In addition to what Griff pointed out, I hope you're aware that both Lost and CSI are among the most successful TV series in the world AND have some of the highest budgets too. You're just spouting nonsense right now.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Even the Simpsons took part in the LOST final.

Not bad actually.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Anyway, I could nitpick on details and point out contradictions and all, but at this point I just don't see... the point. The finale was like I expected it to be, and I guess someone deserves a pat on the back for some of the more inspired symbolism and references. The acting was convincing enough and the music used appropriately. I would say in that regard it was better than I thought it'd be.

Yeah, it was satisfying in that way at least, like an organic retrospective. As for the plot, scenario, and all the practical storytelling considerations, it feels like they were arrested by expectations and so they reigned it all in and tried the less is more approach while playing up the above themes. Disappointing that they couldn't just come up with something in that regard to give us a real climax.

Aazealh said:
I hope you're aware that both Lost and CSI are among the most successful TV series in the world AND have some of the highest budgets too.

From the beginning Lost has certainly been impressive for its budget and cinematic quality, even for the deep pockets of network television. I think it might still be the most expensive pilot ever?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Disappointing that they couldn't just come up with something in that regard to give us a real climax.

Yeah, but honestly I had long given up on the plot making any kind of sense anyway. It was way too late for that. They discarded all the useless plot points
(Smokey or Desmond's power among other things)
and they were right to, because in the end it was literally all just smoke and mirrors. All they had was the viewers' emotional attachment to the characters, and I think they were wise to play it up
(as opposed to a super showdown between good and evil)
. But again, it does not redeem the show. Nothing could have at that point.

グリフィス said:
From the beginning Lost has certainly been impressive for its budget and cinematic quality, even for the deep pockets of network television. I think it might still be the most expensive pilot ever?

Possible. I'm not going to check. :guts:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah, but honestly I had long given up on the plot making any kind of sense anyway. It was way too late for that. They discarded all the useless plot points
(Smokey or Desmond's power among other things)
and they were right to, because in the end it was literally all just smoke and mirrors. All they had was the viewers' emotional attachment to the characters, and I think they were wise to play it up
(as opposed to a super showdown between good and evil)
. But again, it does not redeem the show. Nothing could have at that point.

Yeah, it's a vicious cycle, that attachment for the characters just makes it all the more disappointing they didn't really do something with it all over again. I wasn't even asking that much, like it all making sense or that it be larger than life or anything, just that it be naturally compelling action, even if there was no substance behind it, like any confrontation can be. I feel like they really dropped the ball there
(Flocke went out so lamely after 1000 years or whatever, I just felt bad for him =)
; because, they didn't spend more time establishing why it was important, like with Jack's character after his awakening to his purpose on the island, it all rang kind of hollow compared to seasons past when the characters' motivations were naturally human, intuitive, and universally understandable. I guess it was more important to watch Locke's and Widmore's people aimlessly run around in the jungle to no purpose this season. =)

Aazealh said:
Possible. I'm not going to check. :guts:

Me neither.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
(Flocke went out so lamely after 1000 years or whatever, I just felt bad for him =)

There was a certain honesty in it though, since a cheap, random and trivialized mystery hastily turned into a last-second plot twist is all he really ever was. Had no higher purpose aside from the weekly routine, which had no purpose either, and hadn't had any for whole seasons.

グリフィス said:
they didn't spend more time establishing why it was important, like with Jack's character after his awakening to his purpose on the island, it all rang kind of hollow compared to seasons past when the characters' motivations were naturally human, intuitive, and universally understandable.

Haha yeah, it rang hollow because it was. :void:

グリフィス said:
I guess it was more important to watch Locke's and Widmore's people aimlessly run around in the jungle to no purpose this season. =)

My point exactly, only I'd go further and list all the shit going back to season 3. That's when they should have ended it. It would have been a lot more powerful, relevant, everything. But at the end of season 6, really, I'm just happy Jack didn't turn into white smoke to fight the token, tacked on "evil dude" (only non-name he deserves). :iva:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
There was a certain honesty in it though, since a cheap, random and trivialized mystery hastily turned into a last-second plot twist is all he really ever was. Had no higher purpose aside from the weekly routine, which had no purpose either, and hadn't had any for whole seasons.

Yeah, so I'd rather they just made it John Locke. :ganishka:

(Interesting to note that Terry O'Quinn himself didn't know he was the smoke monster until season 6, so he at least thought he playing Locke throughout season 5)

Aazealh said:
My point exactly, only I'd go further and list all the shit going back to season 3. That's when they should have ended it. It would have been a lot more powerful, relevant, everything. But at the end of season 6, really, I'm just happy Jack didn't turn into white smoke to fight the token, tacked on "evil dude" (only non-name he deserves). :iva:

Agreed, I'll always think of the season 3 finale as the apex and spiritual end point of the series. Though even the crap in season 3-5 looks good compared to this season. That's what's amazing, not that it was a letdown, we all expected that, but how incredible the fall was. This season would be the worst by any standard, it's like they choked under the pressure of it and ended up trying to do everything and nothing, resulting in an underwhelming clusterfuck.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Yeah, so I'd rather they just made it John Locke. :ganishka:

Definitely. What was the point of having the monster "stuck" in Locke's body if not to keep him on screen despite his (arbitrary and unnecessary) death anyway? What it comes down to is John Locke suddenly becoming the antagonist for absolutely no good reason other than because the show's writers couldn't think of something else.

グリフィス said:
Agreed, I'll always think of the season 3 finale as the apex and spiritual end point of the series. Though even the crap in season 3-5 looks good compared to this season. That's what's amazing, not that it was a letdown, we all expected that, but how incredible the fall was. This season would be the worst by any standard, it's like they choked under the pressure of it and ended up trying to do everything and nothing, resulting in an underwhelming clusterfuck.

To be honest I think they only had enough material for one season of 24 episodes and unwisely decided to split it between seasons 5 and 6. The result was filler, bad in season 5 but downright awful in season 6.

The real shame is that I wasn't watching the show to find out what happens in the
afterlife
, I was watching it to find out what was happening
on the island
. They devoted half of the screen time of the season to something that most people couldn't care less about. It seemed completely unnecessary. By that point in the show, flash backs and forwards had already established the characters. I feel that they did not need to flesh them out any more than they already had and failed to if that was their intent. I truly did enjoy the first four seasons where the flashes tied into the general themes of each episode; another failure of the last season. *sigh*

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Looking back on it, I think I would have just really, really liked the whole thing a lot more if they could have left Smokey's character more ambiguous/sympathetic like he was in the backstory flashback ep. At least they could have made it clear that there really was some reason (or that he thought there was) why he had to be killing people all willy-nilly in order to be free, or that there really was some reason Smokey could not be allowed to leave.

I would have loved it if Smokey was just fucken allowed to escape the island while he was mortal instead of having a 300 showdown with Jack. I never saw anything that made it look like Jack couldn't have just let Smokey go and gone straight back down the cave and plugged the rock back in. They didn't NEED Jack to be wounded, since the EM pluggy thingy was supposed to kill everybody but Desmond anyway. And they didn't need the 300 fight to kill Smokey if they wanted him dead either, it would have been just as cool for him to be in the middle of swimming to the boat when the pluggy thingy makes him back into Smoke That Cant Cross Water and he like explodydrowns.

Why did it have to be so allfired important that Smokey can't just go live his life somewhere, anyway?

I find it strange that Jacob let the candidates leave at the end of season 4 rather than having the chat with them that he had recently face to face. Also, he was the leader of the others, so why would he allow them to put the Oceanic survivors through such hell? I have only two answers for that; he needed the survivors to have those experiences to form a bond with the island or he is a total prick.
No sense in over thinking it I suppose since no real answers are coming.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
at the end of season 5 jacob said they all had to make their own choices and he didnt really want to have his hand in it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
No sense in over thinking it I suppose since no real answers are coming.

Yeah, don't waste your time with this. I think you know I don't mind scrutinizing details and theorizing things in general, but this show really isn't worth the trouble. No effort went into its plot, so there's no sense in making efforts to rationalize its gaping holes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, I think this show bullshitted us enough over six years that we deserve to call them on it. I'd actually like to compile of a list of unanswered questions and fudged details now that the show is over. The two that immediately come to my mind are Ben and Widmore's "rules" and of course, Walt.

Ben and Widmore have a dramatic talk in Season 4. Widmore asks if Ben has come to kill him. Ben replies, "We both know I can't do that." Then Ben says Widmore changed the rules, and would kill Penny. Right... What rules again? And why?

So many things with Walt make zero sense. The others kidnapped him and performed experiments to draw out his psychic abilities. Why? Is Jacob in the business of kidnapping small children and running harmful experiments on them?

Oh yeah, and while we're at it, how about Claire's special little baby Aaron? What the fuck was the point of all the build up around him? I always thought maybe he'd become a vessel for Jacob. But ... nope. Just a kid afterall, right?

PS: Still haven't bothered to watch the final 2 episodes, so if any of these questions are answered, please feel free to put me in my place.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I give the finale one giant: Meh. As for the show itself, what a god awful mess. So many things left unexplained. Bad writing at its finest.

Walter said:
PS: Still haven't bothered to watch the final 2 episodes, so if any of these questions are answered, please feel free to put me in my place.

They're not. You're good. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I dunno, I think this show bullshitted us enough over six years that we deserve to call them on it. I'd actually like to compile of a list of unanswered questions and fudged details now that the show is over.

I can understand that, and by all means go ahead. But I don't think I'll take part in it. I'm... I'm moving on. :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
I'm... I'm moving on. :troll:

Oh, and that line irked me more than anything. It's as if the writers are telling us to move on and not hold them accountable for the six seasons we just wasted our time on. Jack asses.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Oh, and that line irked me more than anything. It's as if the writers are telling us to move on and not hold them accountable for the six seasons we just wasted our time on. Jack asses.

SO DEEP MAN. SO META.

:void:

X

Xem

LOST Season 6 DVD/Blu-ray to address unanswered questions

Can you believe the nerve? Seriously, I've never seen a better reason to pirate something. Fuck you LOST and fuck you "unanswered questions". :iva:

EDIT: I'm not trying to condone pirating, just that you shouldn't spend the money to buy Season 6 just to have 20 more minutes of disappointment. Unless the creator(s) endorse pirating, you should always buy their material!

Griffith

Deci said:
EDIT: I'm not trying to condone pirating, just that you shouldn't spend the money to buy Season 6 just to have 20 more minutes of disappointment. Unless the creator(s) endorse pirating, you should always buy their material!

No good enough! Now, walk the plank! :ganishka:

P.S. But yeah, that's horseshit about the DVD's unanswered questions. Just go away now, Lost.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
P.S. But yeah, that's horseshit about the DVD's unanswered questions. Just go away now, Lost.
Just wait for the final truth that will be revealed in the 3D re-release of LOST, coming in 2012. THE TRUTH WILL FINALLY BE REVEALED. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV-tUtEjoGY

Man, this show was .... man ... I'd forgotten how retarded some of this shit was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruKx4LsYBDc

Walter said:
I'd actually like to compile of a list of unanswered questions and fudged details now that the show is over.
Here's one.

Ben and Widmore have a dramatic talk in Season 4. Widmore asks if Ben has come to kill him. Ben replies, "We both know I can't do that."
And then, he did anyway.

Top Bottom