Twin Peaks Returns

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Eluvei said:
The most surreal thing so far is that no one killed and disposed of Heidi's body in all these years. What an impossibly irritating laugh. :azan:
Heidi is a national treasure. A German national treasure rightfully claimed by America.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Wondering what folks have made of the Arthurian connection yet. The Black Lodge is connected to Glastonbury Grove - Dougie lives on Lancelot Court, and Janey E. arranges to meet those men in a park with a cross-street called Guinevere. There's a chin-rubber!

ENsIGDZ.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty insane episode. Parts were reminiscent of Lynch's early works, including Eraserhead. Though unconventional, it wasn't TOO hard to follow if you just make your mind squint a bit. It seems to be about the origin of Bob.

The nuclear blast in 1945 did some kind of damage to the realm where the beings of the black lodge and white lodge reside, which not only caused the woodsmen to manifest, but it also seems to be why/how Bob was unleashed by some flying evil thing's vomit. His egg took 11 years to hatch in the desert, and with the help of the woodsman, it embedded itself into a host, and presumably will be born into someone who will become the first host of Bob. Meanwhile, the white lodge people see all of this happening and send their own vessel into the world.

PS: THE Nine Inch Nails! :slan:

Walter said:
Pretty insane episode. Parts were reminiscent of Lynch's early works, including Eraserhead. Though unconventional, it wasn't TOO hard to follow if you just make your mind squint a bit. It seems to be about the origin of Bob.

The nuclear blast in 1945 did some kind of damage to the realm where the beings of the black lodge and white lodge reside, which not only caused the woodsmen to manifest, but it also seems to be why/how Bob was unleashed by some flying evil thing's vomit. His egg took 11 years to hatch in the desert, and with the help of the woodsman, it embedded itself into a host, and presumably will be born into someone who will become the first host of Bob. Meanwhile, the white lodge people see all of this happening and send their own vessel into the world.

PS: THE Nine Inch Nails! :slan:

Walter I can't thank you enough for expaining perfectly what i thought was incoherent mess, how the fuck did you pick up on this, maybe I'm just this dumb, still was a thrill to watch just for the weirdness and visual epicness

The nuke sequence was really impressive, in fact all the effects in this episode looked fantastic. Can't believe Club Silencio was in the White Lodge this whole time.

I haven't been this impressed by a piece of media in a long time, can't stop thinking about how amazing it was. There won't be an episode next week, so we can watch this episode every day for two weeks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
Can't believe Club Silencio was in the White Lodge this whole time.

Not just Silencio, but also perhaps this scene from Eraserhead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmyzYBeGrE8

Orrrrrr it's just David Lynch's signature style bleeding through to his various works. :void:

Nothingwillbewong said:
Walter I can't thank you enough for expaining perfectly what i thought was incoherent mess, how the fuck did you pick up on this, maybe I'm just this dumb, still was a thrill to watch just for the weirdness and visual epicness

Happy to help! As for how? I dunno, I could be wrong after all, but some of the things in the show just seem to make sense to me. Still, I can't explain everything that happened in that episode :ganishka:

Aside from the Bob origin story, the big revelation in this episode for me was that Philip Jefferies is indeed behind most of the backstabbing plots happening around Evil Coop. Perhaps he was trying to get Bob out of Evil Coop? If so, mission accomplished, but now what? How his character will manifest moving forward (without David Bowie...) is a mystery.

The new scenes with the woodsmen shed a little light on what happened with Bill Hastings (Matthew Lillard's character). The woodsman's presence in the jail is like a paper trail for manipulation by whatever Black Lodge forces are at work, as if that wasn't already obvious. I also think it's clear that after Evil Coop was shot, they were safeguarding Bob (taking him where...?) -- but then Evil Coop woke up, so I can't really explain why those two had to be separated. In any case, it's also not clear why it was "good" that Bob was with Evil Coop (that he could share some of his power?), or if it's "bad" for Coop now that Bob isn't inhabiting his body.

Another crazy thing that occurred to me while watching this episode -- if the body in the morgue is indeed Major Briggs, and the ring will point investigators to Dougie Jones' family, instead of that resulting in him being mired in some murder investigation, I wonder if that whole scenario was concocted by Briggs or someone from the White Lodge in order to rescue Coop from obscurity, and rejoin him with his colleagues. Counteracting all of that is the woodsman's presence in the morgue, which generally would mean it's a scenario being manipulated by the Black Lodge. I don't really have a good explanation otherwise for those two things (Briggs' corpse and the wedding ring).

This show is so much weirder than the original series...

Walter said:
This show is so much weirder than the original series...

Give David Lynch full control and you may get the best or the worst :troll:, but you'll get full Lynchian stuff that's for sure ahah. I'm glad they arent holding him back tho, cause atleast this season no matter what happens will always have alot of artistic value and weird genius worth revisiting not found anywhere else in mainstream tv.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
This was definitely one of those episodes that will help you to improve your Lynchian vocabulary. :ganishka: It has a lot in common with Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, and Lost Highway, but to me, still had a very distinct Twin Peaks feel, probably (to my surprise) I was able to unpack so much of it while it was happening. If anyone hasn't yet started on the History of Twin Peaks, this two week break might be a good time to get into it (I'm still working on it myself, but am already seeing some connections).

Gob and I were discussing the significance of
the "birthing" of Laura Palmer's soul (or so it's heavily suggested in this episode). I'm still not sure how I feel about the idea of Laura being produced as an anti-Bob measure. I always liked the idea of Laura just being an ordinary girl faced with unspeakable evil. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Walter said:
Not just Silencio, but also perhaps this scene from Eraserhead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmyzYBeGrE8

It's definitely similar, but I meant he actually shot that in the same location he used for Club Silencio (http://i.imgur.com/wE4bL2D.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/2U3I8Pt.jpg). The radiator set from Eraserhead was built inside the Doheny Mansion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
It's definitely similar, but I meant he actually shot that in the same location he used for Club Silencio (http://i.imgur.com/wE4bL2D.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/2U3I8Pt.jpg). The radiator set from Eraserhead was built inside the Doheny Mansion.

Oh! Well then! :isidro:

Grail said:
If anyone hasn't yet started on the History of Twin Peaks, this two week break might be a good time to get into it (I'm still working on it myself, but am already seeing some connections).

I've got it on audiobook, but I had to stop listening around the time that I realized an hour of my life had disappeared while listening to the love and laments of Big Ed Hurley. :schierke: I need to soldier on and finish it, but I can't say that it's been a fun endeavor so far. Lots of background on bit characters that I honestly don't care about, and even though it's written by Mark Frost, often the character portrayals feel off to me.
The mere idea of Cooper using a typewriter to write about the background of his friends, and keeping it hidden for the Bookhouse Boys to find later was just.... what the actual fuck? Hawk writing a "ballad" about Ed and Nadine? Is this shit for real?

Gob and I were discussing the significance of
the "birthing" of Laura Palmer's soul (or so it's heavily suggested in this episode). I'm still not sure how I feel about the idea of Laura being produced as an anti-Bob measure. I always liked the idea of Laura just being an ordinary girl faced with unspeakable evil. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Please tell me it gets better, because I'm drowning.
I feel like Laura was an ordinary girl who didn't become who she was meant to be until after her death. She seems pretty significant in the Lodge, now.

Another thing, which I think might be too obvious to point out, but do you think the fact that the frog creature is a mix of a frog and a locust like in the plagues in exodus has any relevance?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nothingwillbewong said:
Another thing, which I think might be too obvious to point out, but do you think the fact that the frog creature is a mix of a frog and a locust like in the plagues in exodus has any relevance?

I think a Biblical reference would be weird for Lynch, personally. I think he might just like the unsettling nature of the creature in general. For me it reminded me of the "baby" in Eraserhead.

Grail said:
This was definitely one of those episodes that will help you to improve your Lynchian vocabulary. :ganishka: It has a lot in common with Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, and Lost Highway

I don't know if you guys have seen it, but this is really interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uDsVi2EU_E

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While we're making callbacks:

The fancy table where Mike places the ring in Ep 3 is the same table in Fire Walk With Me, where Cooper has his talk with the Man from Another Place, who asks him "is this future or is this past?"

Also in Fire Walk With Me, we see the woodsmen
in the "room above the convenience store," (which also features flashes of light) all of which featured prominently in the latest episode. In the same scene linked above, we see the same telephone pole (same numbers on it), at the scene where the boy was killed.

In another Fire Walk with Me scene,
Philip Jeffries points at the real Cooper, asking the group "Who do you think this is, there?" Which is likely an allusion to the scenario we're in now, with evil Coop inhabiting his body, and Jeffries is lost in time.

Which is all to say that despite the seeming incoherentness, this is a pretty well planned series.

I'm loving the hell out of the new Twin Peaks. Though I'm no expert in the lore of it (I just finished watching the originals and movies recently), I'm stoked to start dismantling it when this series is finished with. It's just such a cool ride and this new season is bringing forth a lot of new atmospheres to the already dense and rich atmosphere of the original. Fuck ya.

That last episode was madness though. I loved it. Not to mention "The" Nine Inch Nails full performance of She's Gone. Holy shit.

Can't help but feel Lynch is fully capable of far more weirder shit for us in the future of this season too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Interview with the standout performance of the last episode:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-meet-man-behind-david-lynchs-new-nightmare-1018088

Walter said:
In another Fire Walk with Me scene,
Philip Jeffries points at the real Cooper, asking the group "Who do you think this is, there?" Which is likely an allusion to the scenario we're in now, with evil Coop inhabiting his body, and Jeffries is lost in time.

Which is all to say that despite the seeming incoherentness, this is a pretty well planned series.

Rewatching that scene, I remember it but
I forgot about Jeffries pointing at Cooper and saying: "Who do you think this is, there?"
You're right about that... it all make sense now !

I'll take some time to rewatch the 8 parts and continue reading TSHOTP during next week... in the waiting of part 9.

The scenes that creeped me out the most in part 8 were the woodsmen "assaulting" the car ("Lincoln" scene in the radio station too) and the bug/frog creature crawling inside the girl's mouth...
The question is: who did she became the host of ? The egg that hatched looked like any other that we could see inside "Mother"s vomit, while BOB's one showed his face clearly and was way bigger.
Seeing NIN performing "She's Gone Away" was pretty cool. The lyrics had some sense here.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
Rewatching that scene, I remember it but
I forgot about Jeffries pointing at Cooper and saying: "Who do you think this is, there?"
You're right about that... it all make sense now !

It made sense by the time of Fire Walk with Me too, since we already knew by the time of the S2 finale that Evil Coop had possessed Good Coop's body. It just makes EXTRA sense now.

The question is: who did she became the host of ? The egg that hatched looked like any other that we could see inside "Mother"s vomit, while BOB's one showed his face clearly and was way bigger.

I saw this confusing some others too, but to me I mean -- who else would it be? Bob's was the only face we saw in that cluster of eggs, even though his "essence" looked a little different.

Walter said:
It made sense by the time of Fire Walk with Me too, since we already knew by the time of the S2 finale that Evil Coop had possessed Good Coop's body. It just makes EXTRA sense now.

Yes, I also thought about about S2 finale while typing my reply to your quote, but yeah, you got what I meant. ;)

Walter said:
I saw this confusing some others too, but to me I mean -- who else would it be? Bob's was the only face we saw in that cluster of eggs, even though his "essence" looked a little different.

I know that this episode is focusing a lot on BOB but what if they are misleading us and the creature is MIKE ? The size of the egg, etc... it's too different to be BOB's one in my opinion. Also... look at the "egg" with BOB's face coming out of Evil Cooper, it looks the same as in the vomit. I mean, the woodsmen didn't removed a creature from his body, they removed the same object.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I also thought about about S2 finale while typing my reply to your quote, but yeah, you got what I meant. ;)

I know that this episode is focusing a lot on BOB but what if they are misleading us and the creature is MIKE ? The size of the egg, etc... it's too different to be BOB's one in my opinion. Also... look at the "egg" with BOB's face coming out of Evil Cooper, it looks the same as in the vomit. I mean, the woodsmen didn't removed a creature from his body, they removed the same object.

Could be, I guess. It just seems like an awful lot of time to focus on the birth of NOT the main villain.

Walter said:
Could be, I guess. It just seems like an awful lot of time to focus on the birth of NOT the main villain.

Yes, I agree with that too. We will see soon enough anyway (I hope lol). But the "process" of the egg/creature/first host is really fucked up (for Twin Peaks I mean), I wasn't expecting something like that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I agree with that too. We will soon enough anyway (I hope lol). But the "process" of the egg/creature/first host is really fucked up (for Twin Peaks I mean), I wasn't expecting something like that.

It does seem incredibly involved for an origin story, instead of what could have been: "they're powerful and evil so they can just manifest." Lynch doesn't seem like the kind of guy to create rules for things, but here we are!

Top Bottom