1.typical :
"shit~ I've seen this kinda charaters thousands of times in other mangas."

Caska, Puck, Isidor, Jill, Charlotte,Pippin, Judeau, Ubik, Conrad,
Azan,Jerome,Zodd ...

2.non-typical:
"I've never met these unique charcaters before berserk."

Guts, Griffith, Wild, the king of midland, Farneese, Luca,
Slann, Void, Skull knight, Corkus, Roshinu..... breathlessly

notice this is inevitably based on very subjective view.
and I think that Miura created the best by putting together two types exquisitely.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
you're right. plenty of berserk characters are unique. for me this is the main reason for berserk being so unique as a story: the characters

but whered you see the caska-type of character before? or judeau?

puella

Berserk forever
but whered you see the caska-type of character before? or judeau?
I can't pick up only one manga but Caska is a very familiar female charcater to Oriental like me.
She's loyal, lovely and self-sacrificing. it is very very common especially in Japanese manga. She may seem to be very strong and hard just because she's a brave amazon.
but that can't explain her entirely. if you look through her inner nature, come to find it out she's always controlled by "love" as a girl. Love for Griffith makes her so strong.
methinks, Judeau is familiar to Ocidental than Oriental.
His type can be said almost "perfect" and likely to be supporting char than the main in manga or others.

Please do notice I said it is very subjective.
and "typical" doesn't mean "boring" or "cheesy" to me.
An excellent artwork always has that two types together.
What is important is "coordination" ,not just "unique" IMHO. :)

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
I think there are two types of characters in the manga

1.typical :
"shit~ I've seen this kinda charaters thousands of times in other mangas."

Caska, Puck, Isidor, Jill, Charlotte,Pippin, Judeau, Ubik, Conrad,
Azan,Jerome,Zodd ...

2.non-typical:
"I've never met these unique charcaters before berserk."

Guts, Griffith, Wild, the king of midland, Farneese, Luca,
Slann, Void, Skull knight, Corkus, Roshinu..... breathlessly

notice this is inevitably based on very subjective view.
and I think that Miura created the best by putting together two types exquisitely.
well i can say that i also meet some or many of these characters in common films.
so i would compare the character of´gatsu(after eclipse) for example with brandon  lee in "the crow".(i don t say they are equal but there are some similarities.)
Caska I would say is a character like the main character of "love and basketball"

puella

Berserk forever
emmm, i think it's much easier to talk about "typical characters" than non-typical.
tell us similar character whoever you've met in other stuff.
as for me, well that's a long story.
one of my favorite movies is very similar to Guts and Griffith's friednship.

"once upon a time in America" 1983, by Sergio Leone
Starring :Robert Deniro, James woods

Noodles and Max have been real true friends-gang from their youth. they go through almost everything together. they would be willing to die for the other. but Max's ambition's always problem.
After all, Max betrays and kills all the members except Noodles.
Actually Max tries to kill Noodles several times but failes.and Max got the power and even Deborah-Noodles' life time love.
Noodles has lead a miserable life for 35 years because he thinks he was caused to kill Max--it was Max's mean plan.
Noodles is an ordinary guy who takes killing and other bad things as a way of living but Max is different.
but at the last part of moivie old Max calls Noodles and ask to kill himself....blahblahblah I'm not sure the ending scene will be similar to beserk's.
but I'd say the movie about "true friendship" can be a good mirror image of Guts and Griffith's.

maximus

"once upon a time in America" 1983, by Sergio Leone
Starring :Robert Deniro, James woods

Noodles and Max have been  real true friends-gang from their youth. they go through almost everything together. they would be willing to die for the other. but Max's ambition's always problem.
After all, Max betrays and kills all the members except Noodles.
Actually Max tries to kill Noodles several times but failes.and Max got the power and even Deborah-Noodles' life time love.
Noodles has lead a miserable life for 35 years because he thinks he was caused to kill Max--it was Max's mean plan.
Noodles is an ordinary guy who takes killing and other bad things as a way of living but Max is different.
but at the last part of moivie old Max calls Noodles and ask to kill himself....blahblahblah I'm not sure the ending scene will be similar to beserk's.
but I'd say the movie about "true friendship" can be a good mirror image of Guts and Griffith's.
sounds great!gotta see that one!

however when i read ur topic first i layed back and tried to think about characters that i have already met somewhere...
Well its not easy to find someone who really fits a hundred percent but there are often similarities as a result of the fact that these charcters always represent certain things,attitudes or people...(know what i mean?)

However i didn t find yet a charcter that fits into griffith,so i hope to see "once upon a time in america" soon!

puella

Berserk forever
Well, it is a positive masterpiece and the last film by Sergio Leone and really an epic and opera of 1920s -1960s. and its music by Ennio Moricone always kills me.
Since I'm free now, I'd tell you the stoy in detail.
yeah, I've watched that movie about more than 30 times like Martin Scorsses(get away god damn spelling~)
running time nealrly 5hrs.(unless Leone edited, more than 6hrs.)
Two guys are Jewish punks on the backstreet of NewYork in the middle of Great Depression. they do all dirty stuff - killing, stealing,drug,etc. and the Gang was made up of 4guys including Cock-eye, Patsy.Max always has a "dream" which makes him betray his friends.that two guys was blatantly killed burnig dry by Max's conspiracy.
Anyway, Max comes true his dream; he becomes a secretary
while Noodles's retired from the world for 35years. and Deborah, Noodles' lover, is an ambitious woman so she left behind Noodles though she loved him. later she becomes Max's woman and has his baby.
But Max gets to lose everything in the end so he decides to kill himself, which he has always wanted to.
Max sends a strange invitation to noodles.
in the ending two old friends meet and Noodles turns down Max's proposal. and say walking away to street "I got a friend also.....it was all for my friend... and secretary Bailey, I hope you get well"
Max goes out to street and gets on cleanig truck. then he was killed torn in pieces in that whirling spin. :'(

bytheway)
1. why I put that post long? it'll do just to say "watch that movie" ::)

2.there was a scene quite similar to "a young boy's death" in berserk. try to find out. :p but it's very easy and famous scene.

puella

Berserk forever
here's a movie for Caska's mental state

Birdy :1984

Birdy Matthew Modine
Al Columbato Nicolas Cage
Director Alan Parker

Two friends arrive back from Vietnam, scarred in different ways. One has physical injuries, the other has mental problems that make him yearn to be a bird, a subject he has always been fascinated with.

yeah Caska could be compared to Birdy(Matthew Modine). Birdy was an innocent bird-maniac and has only friend, Al. Birdy was so severely shocked in the middle of battle that saw birds flying so desperately from fire. then he had an aphasia. so his doctor calls Al who has a serious injury on his face to help Birdy get well.
Al starts to recall their old days talking to Birdy. but Birdy just acts like a bird and an idiocy. Besides he seems not to realize his only friend which makes Al so mad because he is also in the worst state. Only a certain nurse can approach Birdy, who is totally shut-down minded.
but day by day Birdy gets to show a few reactions to only Al.
One day Al gets to understand Birdy and that moment Birdy says something as if he didn't have any problem ever.
Al asks Birdy "why haven't you say anything?" hugging Birdy.
Birdy replies " nothing makes me answer"...
and the movie ends with a hope.
Hopefully, berserk ending do like that.

maximus

I am not sure that i can get these movies here but i try to!

5hours even 6?
always thought that"ben hur"would be a very long film! ;D

maximus

???
Prove what.

I was just starting to cry when love and b-ball was mentioned by you.  :'( :'( :'(
yeah that is exactily what i meant:prove that u can cry !!!!
NOW!!!! >:(

no thought u see no similarity between caka and luv a BB. :p

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
yeah that is exactily what i meant:prove that u can cry !!!!
NOW!!!! >:(

and how tha fuck should i prove that i can cry, except by posting :'( a thousand times?

yeah, caska is really like that girl in many ways...

maximus

and how tha fuck should i prove that i can cry, except by posting :'( a thousand times?
don t know how! i guess shouldn thave to prove it at all.
I know u can do it!
me too look: :'( :'( :'( :'( don t cry for me atschentina!

puella

Berserk forever
As you know, Miura said he took an inspiration from a horror movie "hell raisers" especially when God Hand turning up.
"hell raisers" is too creepy for me but I think "Pin head" is much like Void.
I don't remeber that movie quite well not because I have a bad memory but because I didn't enjoy that movie.

but
1) a mystery cube---->beherit
2) hell raisers' awesome appearance and their black costume(?)
3) pin head vs. void
they both skin off and look like a wizard or doctor or vey learned man.

** whenever I am getting a perm at the beauty palror, I come to think I look like that "Pin Head"

bytheway) what is god damn Love and basketball? ???

maximus

well it s a great movie about a boy and a girl and their love for basketball and eachother!
outstanding film that really hits the point and makes ur emotions flipping up and down.
quite famous in the U.S.!

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
As you know, Miura said he took an inspiration from a horror movie "hell raisers" especially when God Hand turning up.
"hell raisers" is too creepy for me but I think "Pin head" is much like Void.
I don't remeber that movie quite well not because I have a bad memory but because I didn't enjoy that movie.

but
1) a mystery cube---->beherit
2) hell raisers' awesome appearance and their black costume(?)
3) pin head vs. void
they both skin off and look like a wizard or doctor or vey learned man.

** whenever I am getting a perm at the beauty palror, I come to think I look like that "Pin Head"

Just watch Hellraiser 3. It's a fun pinhead movie. It's as close to a popcorn Hellraiser movie as you can get. It has good images (pinhead in church when every step he took caused the stain glass windows to explode. Very Fab scene). I'm a huge horror buff. If I was to show a person hellraiser I would show them 3 then work my way back.

Anyway for me Hellraiser is NOTHING compared to "THE RING". Now that's a horror movie. I heard their was a Korean version. Have you seen it? Is it good? :)

puella

Berserk forever
well it s a great movie about a boy and a girl and their love for basketball and eachother!
outstanding film that really hits the point and makes ur emotions flipping up and down.
quite famous in the U.S.!
thank you
Anyway for me Hellraiser is NOTHING compared to "THE RING". Now that's a horror movie. I heard their was a Korean version. Have you seen it? Is it good?
sure. I watched both Korean and Japanese version.
I've even read the novel Vol.1,2 and it is better than movie.
Korean version is not so good, just trying to make alike but the actress is better than in Japanese movie, I think.
Japanese "Ring" is so horrible though I'm hardly scared.
the scene,that woman coming out of the TV screen, made me
scream, ARGHHHHHHH~
it is the scariest scene I've ever met and many people had the same thought like mine.
but I think Occidentals might not be scared as much as Orientals because they have different culture and emotion.
For example, Dracula or Zombie never scares me. Instead, a woman like in the Ring is so horrible to me because our typical ghosts are mostly women with long black hair and wearing white.

Top Bottom