Untranslated sign/banner in volume 12, #108 Summit

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

banner1.jpg

banner2.jpg

As the title says, this banner is untranslated in the Viz edition of Vagabond, which is actually an isolated occurrence as they usually translate all signs/banners. Can anyone tell us what it says, I'm particularly interested if it includes the swordsman's name among the usual stuff about being invincible under the heavens.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
天下無敵者
Your suspicions of it being Invincible Under Heaven seem to be right, I think... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it basically means a man who is, basically,  without an equal. tenka or 天下 (under heaven) coupled with muteki or 無敵 (invincible) form a compound, but honestly "Invincible Under the Heavens" sounds better. Add 者 (man/woman) and the ones mentioned are the only characters that show up on the banner, with no name to be seen. Sorry, Mushi!

Edit - 81-point font for a reason, folks.

Griffith

Excellent work, Uriel, thank you very much. I also think it means you're the official translator of the Vagabond Inn!
mushi.gif

Uriel said:
Edit - 81-point font for a reason, folks.
Whatever do you mean?
denshichiro.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it basically means a man who is, basically, without an equal.

No, that's correct. That banner basically means "one who is unrivaled in the world" (under the heavens = in the world).

Griffith

Oh wow, I had totally forgotten about the secret meaning of 81... I'll have to post it tonight. Thanks again, Uriel!
Part of me still wants to change your title to "Vagabond Inn Official Translator" though.
mushi.gif

Top Bottom