Upcoming Gecco Berserk statue - 2015

I agree with some people here, its headlong, but the end result is a bit ... Okayish...
Much better than any HS Art of War has ever done, granted . But the skin texture looks odd. Maybe its the paintjob
The pose is very uninspired, granted, but its detailed enough.
I dunno, for that price I think I'll stick with either threezero or medicom, and customize him to perfection ;)
The medicom headsculpt looks great. I already plan on giving him a body modification.

I agree with the paint job on the skin, but I like the rough texture on the skin (Might just be me). The paint job is very simply, having only 1-2 layers of shading, which makes his complexion very pale, and duller than the rest of the statue. That is my primary complaint about the statue, but overall I think the presentation is great.

It's a new Berserk line - they have to start somewhere, and why not start with the classic? The only reason I think it's a generic pose is because AoW has been milking it for years. In actuality, it showcases Guts perfectly - it shows off his weaponry, his battleworn attire & body, and it showcases both the immensity of the DS, and Guts' superhuman strength. the satchel with Puck & Becchi in it is icing on the cake.

I think Berserk statues will forever live with the taint of AoW, because they had a monopoly for so long, that they kept cranking up the prices, so other producers think they can get away with it. GSC guts is a good example (although it's gigantic, so the price is more justified, although I still think it's overpriced).

I didn't buy GSC's 120000 JPY Guts because I thought it was too expensive and too big, but this one is right up my alley. But hey, to each their own.

Liad said:
I mean, if you don't like it you don't like it. simple as that. For anyone who dabbles with AoW it might seem "cheap", but it is a substantial amount to put down for what is, at the end of the day, decoration. If you don't feel 100% confident in buying it, then I highly recommend that you don't.

yeah I think you're right. I am getting the MF statue so maybe I'll just wait for a berserker armor iteration instead of getting another black swordsman

I just don't want to regret not preordering, then having them fix up the issues hahah

For those who talks about texture quality and paint job - please remember how AoW statues looked on photos and how they look in real life. :carcus:

Wow wow wow very nice! i am very impressed! It looks awesome! Is it limited? Im plannig to pick up later i hope still available. Still expensive though 30k yen. I guess its normal price for berserk figures. THey need to pay some fees or something to miura.

rayhato said:
For those who talks about texture quality and paint job - please remember how AoW statues looked on photos and how they look in real life. :carcus:

What do you mean? I don't remember any statue being particularly off-mark , they sculpt is too crude, and not up to standard. They can't produce the same level of fidelity that is expected of the collector's market nowadays, and I for one think the paint job is fine, but nothing extraordinary ) the "blood effect" is overused and simplistic, on AOW, but having said that, I don't recall figures with that much difference from the prototype to the finished sculpt.

I think this is possibly the best Guts face I've seen on a statue. High price for PVC, but if the quality comes close to these images, it'll be worth it (comparitively speaking). Budget is tight, but I think I might snap this one up.

bruhaha69 said:
I think this is possibly the best Guts face I've seen on a statue. High price for PVC, but if the quality comes close to these images, it'll be worth it (comparitively speaking). Budget is tight, but I think I might snap this one up.

The only guts face off the top of my head that compares is art of wars 1/10 birth ceremony guts. It's probably the perfect statue, besides is relatively small size.

But I agree, it's expensive for PVC, but it's pretty much the only option we have for a non berserker armor guts with a great face, great size, that isn't close to $1000. With the current rates the statue is about $260 or so. With shipping it'll be around $325 I'm guessing. Not terrible.

I kinda wish Art of War would make PVC statues in the $200 - $500 space. All their newest statues and repaints are in the $700+ range, which leaves a huge gap for others to fill. I think it'll ease their repaint problems as well. Instead of repainting a statue a dozen times, rerelease polystone statues as PVC ones and call it a day. Older collectors won't cry foul since they have the "better" statue and people would bitch less about the price and how it's too high or way higher than before.

Double-post. I just got this in today and it is beautiful. Definitely one of the highest quality PVC's I own or have come across. I am having issues getting the cape on correctly, though. It has two wedge-like pegs that are supposed to slide onto his shoulders, but I can't seem to make it happen. If anyone else has better luck, let me know what I'm missing.I'm guessing it's the technique of dropping it into place that I am overlooking.

bruhaha69 said:
Double-post. I just got this in today and it is beautiful. Definitely one of the highest quality PVC's I own or have come across. I am having issues getting the cape on correctly, though. It has two wedge-like pegs that are supposed to slide onto his shoulders, but I can't seem to make it happen. If anyone else has better luck, let me know what I'm missing.I'm guessing it's the technique of dropping it into place that I am overlooking.

Mine will be here in 2 days I'll see about that cape

pics might help in the meantime ;)

bruhaha69 said:

I'm waiting on mine to come in, I pre-ordered from AmiAmi in April and I got the shipment notification yesterday. The wait is killing me though! :sad:

Also, in Itakon.it review of this figure they also had trouble getting the cape on it seems:

"The assembly itself is simple, but for us it was a little 'tough the first insertion of the coat has two pins that were resistant PVC; after a few minutes, however, they are entered into the holes on the shoulders, without particular problems." http://itakon.it/giapponesi/berserk-guts-the-black-swordsman-16-scale-statue-di-gecco-recensione.html

Just be careful not to damage it! :isidro:

I use bigbadtoystore.com and from the looks of my account mine has been pushed back till November :mozgus: I don't knew if any one else has this problem, I've been dying to get this bad boy on my shelf. :puck:

Mogen said:
I use bigbadtoystore.com and from the looks of my account mine has been pushed back till November :mozgus: I don't knew if any one else has this problem, I've been dying to get this bad boy on my shelf. :puck:

You should get it relatively soon, it will take a little longer for a retailer like BBTS to get their stock in so they can ship it out. But the official release date for this figure was just a few days ago so not long now!

Mine came! Here is a quick snapshot of it:

http://imgur.com/ec9NxBR

He looks great. Cape is a bitch to put on, and putting the sword in makes you feel like you'll break his arm. But he looks good next to his art of war cousins that are 3x his price!

http://imgur.com/wjmvwAw

marioray said:

He looks great. Cape is a bitch to put on, and putting the sword in makes you feel like you'll break his arm. But he looks good next to his art of war cousins that are 3x his price!

congrats, man!

can he be removed from the base?

marioray said:

Did the cape snap in hard or were you able to get it on without force? I tried putting it on several times and kept walking away from it out of fear that I was going to damage it by forcing it on. It just seems like one side is always too tight to fit while the other is in the slot.

marioray said:

Kind of off topic, but whats the name of the display case you have? I've been debating on a new one.

Currently repainting mine.

I have to admit, it's a really really nice piece straight out of the box (I don't say this often) but I couldn't help but think the skin tones were lacking and very 2-tone looking (head on the right is stock)

Anyway, still WIP, but getting there

I've received mine this morning and damn... what a magnificent piece it is. :guts: It's very impressive to see such quality on a PVC/ABS statue.
It's clearly one of my favourite piece.

Hey guys,

Here's my take on Gecco's Guts. I have to say it's a really nice statue straight out of the box.

I thought the skin was too pale though so I decided to give him the repaint treatment. Working with a fully assembled PVC statue is no easy task as I can't use acetone or lacquer thinner to melt down the glue. I could have tried hot water but I thought it'd be safer to just mask off what I was gonna keep from the factory paintjob.

Here are the mods I did:

-All the skin parts were repainted, including both portraits (each head has a slightly different hair color)

-Highlights and scuffs on his armor

-Blood splatters on Guts and his sword

I'll probably get back to work on him later and redo more parts when I have a little more time for personal projects.

Anyway, hope you like the result

bruhaha69 said:
Did the cape snap in hard or were you able to get it on without force? I tried putting it on several times and kept walking away from it out of fear that I was going to damage it by forcing it on. It just seems like one side is always too tight to fit while the other is in the slot.

Mines not totally in lol. Same problem as you, one side goes in fully the other doesn't and but it looks good, so I'm not gonna mess with it lol.

Halcian said:
Kind of off topic, but whats the name of the display case you have? I've been debating on a new one.

No idea. Found it on Craigslist for $200. The cheapest I've seen for these guys new are $600.

Top Bottom