Upgraded Forum for SKnet / New Themes

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

The move is complete. It lasted a little longer than anticipated, but you must forgive us, we're old now. :iva: We've completely revamped the forum using new software, as the old system we used just wasn't being properly maintained anymore.

Some of the perks of this new forum are a much improved usability on smartphones and tablets, as well as greater security and a lot more features in general.

All threads, posts and users have been carried over and there should be no change on your end other than the need to log into your new account. Please note however that the avatars from the SK.net gallery were reset and therefore you need to set them again in your profile. It should just take a minute.

This new forum has a ton of options, some of which are already available and some which might be enabled at a later date, but for now everything should be functional and we hope you guys will love it. Please let us know by PM or in this thread directly if you encounter any issue.

It looks great guys. It's awesome to have all the latest activity in one section. I must have mindlessly clicked the link here a dozen times over last few days to my dismay. Glad to have you back!

BiQ_

" ... "
It's really better experience especially on mobile! Thank you!

... And now a little bit of bug report: quotes within quotes do not seem to work right? Not that it's that important though, it gets messy pretty fast.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's really better experience especially on mobile! Thank you!

... And now a little bit of bug report: quotes within quotes do not seem to work right? Not that it's that important though, it gets messy pretty fast.

Hmm, well we had eventually disallowed nested quotes on the old forum (because it can quickly get messy), so functionally there's no difference, it's more of a backward compatibility issue. I'll check but I'm not sure that can be fixed.

Edit: I fixed that one post, it displays properly now. It seems the inner quote's formatting was off.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Holy crap! Awesome change guys. I did not really know what to expect when it was gonna be back. Im not disappointed at all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. @Aazealh and I worked really hard on this throughout the week. And this was a long time coming. We have been on the same forum software backbone since 2001, when the free forum project was called Yet Another Bulletin Board (YaBB), which eventually became Simple Machine Forum (SMF). After that project went years without major updates, and responsive design appeared and established itself as the norm, it was past time for us to upgrade to a more modern experience. Then a few more years went by :ganishka:

Xenforo does several great things for us, but first and foremost, it's very flexible. Whichever device you're using to browse the forum you'll have a good experience. By itself this is a huge improvement, enabling you to easily browse and post without issues on phones.

It's also got a slew of ease-of-use options:

• Notifications: If someone replies to you or quotes one of your posts, you'll get a little notification at the top right (the bell icon).
  • Feedback: People can give feedback to posts (like, dislike, etc), which replaces the "karma" system we had on SMF.
  • Quick-Jump: As you're browsing down a thread, you may notice a little down arrow appear in the lower-right corner. Click that and you'll zoom down to the latest unread post (usually the bottom). This is particularly handy for phones. Similarly, if you're already at the bottom, you'll see an up arrow.
  • Drafts: Your in-progress posts are saved for up to 24h. You don't need to worry about your browser crashing on you, or keeping that one tab open forever until you finish your post (drafts are saved every 60s, and you can manually save them with the save icon in the editor).
  • Multi-quotes: Quotes can be done in two ways, a standard Reply button now includes quoted material as a default, but you can also click the +Quote button, which adds that post's contents to a Multi-quote bank that you can access whenever you're ready to post.
There are plenty of more features that you'll learn as you go (i.e. I'm done typing for now). Aaz and I are taking a break from tweaking this thing, but in the near future expect to see a "dark" theme to go along with the current light theme. And last but not least, Aaz and I recorded a podcast going over the big change, along with of course other Berserk stuff. Check it out here.

Last edited:

nostyleart

Quixotic
Well done on the upgrade team! Kudos on the migration effort and success!

ps: is the dot in the logo a beherit?
pss: can we get name change privileges? made this account when i was literally half my age lol

Last edited:
Man, after lurking on this board regularly since 2005, this new look is gonna take some getting used to. Like the sound of some of the new functions, though. They'll...

Wait...what's this. My karma! My beautiful karma! It's all gone! How will I measure the size of my e-peen now? YOU BLEW IT UP! YOU MANIACS! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Great job on the upgrade! The experience on mobile is much, much better.

I just have one comment about an issue that isn’t really a big deal, but you may want to do something about it anyway: the links on the home button and on the logo are hard-coded to redirect to the non-secure version of the forum. Since I use the secure version, I can’t really use them to go to the starting page, as I’m only logged in on the secure version. One option to address this issue would be to not specify the protocol of the URL, so that the right one is selected by the browser (//www.skullknight.net/forum). Another would be to always redirect all calls to the non-secure version to the secure one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I just have one comment about an issue that isn’t really a big deal, but you may want to do something about it anyway: the links on the home button and on the logo are hard-coded to redirect to the non-secure version of the forum.

Fixed.

This new style looks really good, great job!

On a side note, too bad my nickname reverted back to my old one. It's not really important, but if a feature allowing us to change it could be added in the future it would be nice. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This new style looks really good, great job!

On a side note, too bad my nickname reverted back to my old one. It's not really important, but if a feature allowing us to change it could be added in the future it would be nice. :serpico:

You can send me a private message with what name you want and I'll change it. That applies to all members. I ask that people please give it some thought however, since I'm not going to be changing someone's name every day.

You can send me a private message with what name you want and I'll change it. That applies to all members. I ask that people please give it some thought however, since I'm not going to be changing someone's name every day.

Then let me think a little bit about it haha, I'll tell you when I'm 100% sure. Thank you!

Top Bottom