Usui Yoshihito, creator of Crayon Shin-chan, is dead

puella

Berserk forever
It looks like the news hasn't reached many people in the West. Usui Yoshihito, the author of the very popular manga "Crayon Shin-chan" is dead. It was an unbelievable accident. It seems he fell off a cliff while taking pictures. His last photo was even revealed recently.

I love Shin-chan very much. I've been reading the manga since it was serialized in a Korean magazine for women. Not many people know that the manga originally targeted adult women (especially married women). So its topic naturally includes a lot of "sexual" stuff. But the target switched to children as the character became more popular long time ago.

Some articles on the incident:

http://www.lightchan.com/2009/09/19/rip-usui-yoshito-crayon-shin-chan-creator/
http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/09/22/200909220057.asp

shinchan.jpg

His two daughters worked with him as his assistants. He'd implied he intended to finish the series soon, as soon as his contract would be over in fact, in an interview in 2007. In Japan and Korea, many people are sad about this great loss. He really was a kind man, dedicated to his fans. Sensei, thank you very much for amusing us for the last 19 years! :sad:

shinchanetdoraemon.jpg
shinchansayonara.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I knew of his work and the impact he had on popular culture throughout his career. That's terrible about him not being able to complete his life's work before he died. May he rest in peace.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Unfortunately I had never heard of his work before the anime appeared on adult swim a number of years ago, but I found the quirky humor of the show very enjoyable and it is awful to see such a creative talent go in such a tragic way. Condolences to his family.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Not too good of a time to go into the mountains it seems! Right around the same time that this happened, there was another gentleman that went up the mountains and went missing, he was more fortunate though since where he fell and landed, he was able to drink the water from the rain that fell and landed in some small craters. They found him about 4 day's later still alive..

Then maybe about 2 month's ago there was a Japanese boxer who went up the mountains to go mentally train and slipped on a ledge and died from his fall.

Careful out there you crazy mountain people!

Top Bottom