Vortex of the Skull Knight

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
When we first see the skull knight in volume 9, he is preceded and surrounded by a dense white fog:
skullyfog.jpg
What does this fog mean? Well, if we read further into volume 9, we realize another mystery: Skull Knight can float...
skullyfloat.jpg
Hmm...well this renounces a previous theory of mine: that Skull Knights horse just leaps with a great stride. Oh well.

However, lets move further into speculation. Skull Knight always appears at the perfect times, seemingly from out of nowhere. Let us assume for a moment that Skully is indeed the God Hand Reborn from 1000 years ago. If Skull Knight were to retain his powers and knowledge he could use such a thing as the fog to travel between dimensions. Other examples of the fog preceding skully are when he leaves in this scene:
skullyleave.jpg

Or is the Skull Knight bound to something like an elf dimension? That could be what Puck felt around him. The obvious refution of this idea is that Puck said : "I feel elf in him" where the in him part is key.

The fog could explain many of Skull Knights powers and perhaps even his continued existence. Perhaps he can only survive within this fog vortex? But in conclusion, it is too early to jump to any true conclusion about this mystery, however it is not something that should be ignored.

I believe him to be something else that he have not seen yet something probably related to the elves the opposite of God Hand.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
well I believe that the fog is an interesting detail, however IMHO it is for dramatic purposes only. As for the leves being the opposite of GH, I think Miura always tries to point out that nothing is THAT simple in his world, where God isn't so plain and good as the evil isn't just vendicative, hateful bunch o demons. So the elves might be in a conflict, not direct of course, but existential, with god hand, as the mere existence of elves goes against the powers of god hand, which seem to be desperation and the depths of human negative feelings.
Well, it's yet too early to say anything....

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I totaly don't believe the idea that SK was a former God hand.

That whole theory that Oliver posted a while ago, that someone posted on hte Japanese BBS' seems a whole lot more likely to me.

As for the fog, I doubt it's little more then a dramatic visual effect. And I doubt it has any real signifigance, not any that would be explained anyway.

But if you want to go down that road, it could easily by Miura's visual interpretation of that "space between worlds" that Guts exsists in after the eclipse.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
I sometimes wonder is Skully corporeus or spiritual? Maybe he assumes solid form only when he appears out of nowhere.
And if he is sentient all his waking time, he must have a lot of time to think while he is not appearing to explain the events or chop some apostles...He has a grudge against gh as gatsu, but he seems to find gats' fighting unneccessary. He always does an "mpf" whenever gatsu promptly says something liek "fuck you all I'll kill eveything!".
Still, the nature of Skully is puzzling...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I totaly don't believe the idea that SK was a former God hand.

That whole theory that Oliver posted a while ago, that someone posted on hte Japanese BBS' seems a whole lot more likely to me.
Id rather not get into it on THIS post but Ill go ahead anyway. Are we supposed to just ignore the fact that the 1000 year rebirth happens...well, every 1000 years? And 1000 years ago, Gaiserics empire existed? Is that just 'a bunch of hooey'?

As for the fog, I doubt it's little more then a dramatic visual effect. And I doubt it has any real signifigance, not any that would be explained anyway.
Skully uses it to dodge Guts attack, check out the scene in volume 9 panel for panel.

But if you want to go down that road, it could easily by Miura's visual interpretation of that "space between worlds" that Guts exsists in after the eclipse.
Then why doesnt guts have white fog coming out of his ass?

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
The quote button doesn't like me, so I'm not using it any more.

>>Are we supposed to just ignore the fact that the 1000 year
>>rebirth happens...well, every 1000 years? And 1000 years
>>ago, Gaiserics empire existed? Is that just 'a bunch of
>>hooey'?

That's still not evidence to support that the Skull Knight was ever a God Hand.

You can simply point at any character and say he is a reborn God Hand. Zodd, Locus, Nidoking, the cape dude.

There are things that don't really seem to make sense.

Why does Skully seem to be "just" a suit of armor (he could indeed be flesh, but it seems likely that he is not), when Griffith appears to be flesh?

What are Skully's motive's for opposing God Hand? If he was a God Hand, then he most likely sacrificed his own people. This means you must discount the "wise-man" theory. If Gaiseric sacrificed his people to become a God Hand, how is it possible for anyone else to do the same?

Why does he not evoke a reaction from Guts' brand?

Why would a God Hand fight with a mere apostle (zodd, and others)? Seeings the power Femto held, it seems unlikely that he'd need that sword.

>>Skully uses it to dodge Guts attack, check out the scene
>>in volume 9 panel for panel.

Well, that's.........

>>Then why doesnt guts have white fog coming out of his
>>ass?

Bah, stop throwing your damned facts at me........

Are we supposed to just ignore the fact that the 1000 year rebirth happens...well, every 1000 years?

No, but..
Well, first of all, even if Gaiseric lived at that time, it doesn't mean it happened to _him_.
Also, I don't know why you keep calling that a "rebirth"? The term is "juniku", ie "incarnation". And the Skull Knight never said that it could only happen to _God Hands_...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Why does Skully seem to be "just" a suit of armor (he could indeed be flesh, but it seems likely that he is not), when Griffith appears to be flesh?
I never said skully was JUST a reborn(yes im sticking with reborn) God Hand. Hes been around for 1000 years. Flesh does deteriorate. I think SKully went through one, or possibly another change, after Voids birth, and the destruction of Gaiserics empire.

What are Skully's motive's for opposing God Hand? If he was a God Hand, then he most likely sacrificed his own people. This means you must discount the "wise-man" theory.
Um...why did he sacrifice his own people? It makes more sense that if Skully has a grudge against Void, and it was also Void who 'loved his people' (so much that he would sacrifice them for their happiness) then it was VOID who made that sacrifice, for his entry into God Hand. Dont forget that the people were in despair because of Gaiseric's harsh rule, and God sent down 4 angels to punish him. It makes sense for that to be the eclipse, where Void sacrificed the kingdom.

Im not saying THIS IS HOW IT IS. These are just speculations that 'fit'.
Why does he not evoke a reaction from Guts' brand?
Its been 1000 years, he could have undergone more'changes'. You can also pose the question: "Why does Puck feel an elf"? But We simply dont know, and while I could speculate, its pointless. The above arguments DO have grounds for debate however, as wehave been given sufficient evidence to virtually fill in the gaps.

Why would a God Hand fight with a mere apostle (zodd, and others)? Seeings the power Femto held, it seems unlikely that he'd need that sword.
Spiritual entities would hold more power than a fleshly entity, as far as we have seen. Why else would Griffith need Zodd directly after his rebirth?(yes there are other reasons but this is in my opinion, the most feasable: 'immediate protection') Besides, Skully is more powerful than Zodd. Who got ditched during the eclipse? WHo had to reatteach his arm....Zodd...

Well, that's.........
uh huh..
Bah, stop throwing your damned facts at me........
No. ;)

No, but..
Well, first of all, even if Gaiseric lived at that time, it doesn't mean it happened to _him_.
Also, I don't know why you keep calling that a "rebirth"? The term is "juniku", ie "incarnation". And the Skull Knight never said that it could only happen to _God Hands_...
Good point. You are right, it does not say that God Hand are the only entity. We just assume that because theyre the only thing we have to work with. I know what you're getting at. Whos to say its NOT an elf, or an elf-like entity that was 'incarnated into flesh'. But its broad speculation because there are no hints at all in that area.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, I’ll go “off topic” and give my opinion on the fog.  There is definably something to it, but that something might just be effect.  There really isn’t anything that suggests that it is integral to Skully’s existence or his power.  I don’t even think it’s ALWAYS with him, if I remember correctly (don’t have my manga at the moment) Skull Knight just appeared in the field where Guts was attacked by ghouls at the end of volume 13 ,but that’s the ONLY example I can remember offhand. Another thing, Zodd also appears with fog in volume 20 when confronts Skully. Not to mention the “fog” that emanates from Zodd when he transforms (same with Wild and other a few other Apostles) and don’t forget that that same fog was everywhere during the Eclipse ceremony (outside).  So I think the fog, if anything besides a cool effect, is some kind of aura or discharge of incredible power.  I think it has meaning, but it isn’t anything exclusive to Skull Knight.

Also, truly off topic and admittedly stupid to argue about, Zodd versus Skully.  I wouldn’t go so far as to say the Skully is definitely “stronger” than Zodd.  Just because Skull Knight sliced Zodd’s arm off and got past him doesn’t mean he is mighty over Zodd, they were fighting out there for quite awhile. Skull Knight wastes Apostles right and left yet he doesn’t bother to kill Zodd, why?  The only logical reason without going into further speculation (Skully loves Zodd!) is that he is unable to. I doubt they would be long time rivals if Zodd is considerably weaker than Skull Knight to the point that Skully was simply “playing” with him outside the Eclipse.  More likely he worked his bony ass off to get past him and it just wasn’t Zodd’s day.

-Griffith

P.S. Am I the only one who wants to see Skully get his ass totally kicked by someone (possibly Griffith)?  I’m not a Skully sadist or anything but he’s pretty much untouchable and I want to see him in some kind of state of vulnerability, give him some more depth.  Zodd has had that type of moment and he’s a more interesting character because of it.  Plus, when the time comes to show Griffith’s true power, there just wouldn’t be a better way.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
P.S. Am I the only one who wants to see Skully get his ass totally kicked by someone (possibly Griffith)?  

Yes! Yes! Me, me! *waves* ;D I'd love to see that eventually... just because...

fletch

Treading trodden trails for a long, long time.
i'm pretty sure that the fog is an effect that's just there to denote that he's a supernatural entity of some sort. as said above, fog also appears with apostles & such, & i fully expect to see a lot of it in Elfville

P

paradiselost

...guys, in my opinion the poin is that all around here seems to round around "Elves"...

...what Puck says about Skully...what is about Gatts know the places where he is with no problem with the spirits in the night...what is about the all story of Roshinu...and Puck itself...and now, that new characther with that elf female...and Skully itself, so misterious...

I'm sure that the point that is able to explain all the relations between Gatts, Skully, the elves anbd so many misteries are ELVES...

...in the moment 'll be able to know more about elves, all it'll be more clear, and we'll understand at all the design of Master Miura...

;D

I repeat again, however, my opinion: atts is in part elf, and Skully/Gaisereck too...

;)

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
I repeat again, however, my opinion: atts is in part elf, and Skully/Gaisereck too...

Iiihk! Don't say that, then someone will post that evil picture again!

Gatts, elf? No way in my opinion... :p

Hmmm how would elves mate with humans? They are tiny and don't have sex...

P

paradiselost

...well, fishbomb...

...maybe there is a particular kind of race of human, that is something like a mixture of elves and normal humans...it could be...

...or that, however, has in himself some blood of elf...

:p

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
yes, obviously THAT must be the answer. Puck is Guts' long lost father. Haven't you guys read Spunky Knight? Evles can grow penis' the size of a human's. [/sarcasm]

floydboy

Is There anybody out there?
Hey, elves in The Lord of The Rings aren't tiny. Neither are the ones in ROLW. Depends on what someone considers elvish.

How do elves procreate.....i thought for sure Fishbomb would know...j/k.

Could the fog be the remants of SK's journey's throughout time? I really don't know, but elves are cool

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Well, in our culture, the term "Elf" applies to only a single creature, the long-eared humanoid types (for example Deedlet in Lodoss War, or the denizens of Hyrule in Legend of Zelda).

Traditionaly in fantasy-type stories, they are wingless, and have magical powers.

It appears that in the Japanese culture (or maybe just the Berserk world, I dunno). Elves are pretty much any sort of whimsical farytale creature. Fairy's are elves, Gnomes (the guys who owned the mountain Godo lives on) are evles (they were called elves, right?), maybe more types of creatures.

P

paradiselost

...of course, that's the point...

...in my opinion there are many kinds of elves and all these kinds can exist in the world of Berserk, so that...we'll see if Gatts is a person with elf blood...

;)

P

paradiselost

...dear Walter, I have that interview, and I know what Miura said...

...but, try to analize...

"I'd like Gatts 'll remain human" is not the same like "Gatts 'll remain human"...

...so, it's not the end, but we'll have still to wait to see...

;)

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Why do people still insist on calling him Gatts? It should be so painfully obvious by now, that you could feel it in your groin.

It's Guts people. Just accept it. I'm feeling embarrased for you people.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Why do people still insist on calling him Gatts? It should be so painfully obvious by now, that you could feel it in your groin.

It's Guts people. Just accept it. I'm feeling embarrased for you people.
yes, even I had to give in....sniff... :-/

floydboy

Is There anybody out there?
I guess if Walter had to give in I should as well....no more Gatts....only Guts.

Hey whatever works.

I have a question though...SK may be able to survive with the fog by traveling through dimensions or what not, but why, if he is a hindrance, wouldn't Void or someone else have stopped him already? He does show himself at the most opportune moments, but someone could slow him down so he couldn't return with the fog...

There is way too much that is open on this question. I want to know if Void has SK integrated into his plan somehow...All speculation though

Top Bottom