What Are You Playing?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Finished Double Dragon Neon - FUN and AWESOME music. Tried a bit of One Piece Kaizoku Musou and Gundam S something ...

Kaizokue Misou 2 comes out in March of next year. Hopefully they put a fucking VS mode in that one. The lack of one in KM1 killed my love for it.

The cool thing, though, is that they'll be using black limbs for when you use Haki finally.

Johnstantine said:
Kaizokue Misou 2 comes out in March of next year. Hopefully they put a fucking VS mode in that one. The lack of one in KM1 killed my love for it.

The cool thing, though, is that they'll be using black limbs for when you use Haki finally.
:ubik:

... playing with Whitebeard was badass gurraaa~raaa~raaaa.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Picked up FTL for a slight discount during the steam winter sale and I've been really addicted to it. While I don't really want to compare it to Infinite Space, as that game blows FTL away in terms of story and characters (of which there is almost none in FTL), there are definitely some positive similarities in how combat functions and how you customize your ship. I want to say I enjoy the random elements of FTL as well, but most of the time I find it maddening. I've been playing it almost 10 hours straight though, so it must be doing something right...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Picked up FTL for a slight discount during the steam winter sale and I've been really addicted to it.
FTL is a fantastic little game that every scifi fan should try. I didn't think it had much in common with Infinite Space, other than battle involves two ships firing against each other though.

I'm playing Far Cry 3, which I got for free with my new video card (AMD 7870, a Christmas present for myself). Pretty fun! I'm one of those few weirdos who actually really enjoyed most aspects of Far Cry 2 (except for the reappearing roadside goons), so an enhanced version of that is welcome.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding FTL, which Walter recently gifted me, I actually find it more similarities with the "tank battle" gameplay of Rocket Slime. But the ship management part is somewhat reminiscent I guess. Anyway, great game, and surprisingly demanding, too. My ship exploded from a fire at the very end of chapter 2 on my first run. Should've kept some scrap to repair the hull when I could...

SeedofKings said:
Am knee deep in my favorite Christmas Present, Dark Souls on PS3 its everything I've heard and then some! :ubik:
Be sure to grab the dlc, it has some of the best bosses in the game.

I got Asuras Wrath and Assassins Creed 3 for Christmas, currently playing the former. Pretty cool so far, I like the anime-series style to it. It could use a little bit more actual gameplay though.

Also got Mark of the Ninja and The binding of Isaac on Steams autumn sale.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
FTL is a fantastic little game that every scifi fan should try. I didn't think it had much in common with Infinite Space, other than battle involves two ships firing against each other though.

Maybe it was the feeling of the vastness of space, adventuring off investigating planets and anomalies, or as Aaz mentioned the ship and crew customization. Or maybe it was simply waiting for bars to fill up in order to perform my attacks/maneuvers/specials, which I often needed to time against what my opponent was doing. Or maybe it really is just a space game. It was enough of a resemblance that I got a good bit of reminiscing from it that enhanced my experience even more.

I've managed to beat the game on easy, and unlocked a few interesting ships along the way but normal difficulty annihilates me every time.

Wyrm

HEMA
Scorpio said:
I've managed to beat the game on easy, and unlocked a few interesting ships along the way but normal difficulty annihilates me every time.

Currently playing FTL on normal and after 7 hours i finally saw the rebel flag ship. Didn't even dented it...
What a great little game!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wyrm said:
Currently playing FTL on normal and after 7 hours i finally saw the rebel flag ship. Didn't even dented it...
What a great little game!
Try to get at least one ion-based weapon. They're fantastic for disabling stations, and in my opinion, that's one of the keys to taking down the rebel ship.

Wyrm

HEMA
Walter said:
Try to get at least one ion-based weapon. They're fantastic for disabling stations, and in my opinion, that's one of the keys to taking down the rebel ship.

LOL! would you believe that so far only in one game I managed to get an Ion Gun? The rest of the time either no scrap or no "drop"...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wyrm said:
LOL! would you believe that so far only in one game I managed to get an Ion Gun? The rest of the time either no scrap or no "drop"...
That just means you're due for a playthrough of the game where ALL YOU GET is Ion-based weaponry, which means you're still fucked. That's the nature of roguelikes. :void:

Continuing my Zoddian quest to find The Ultimate Horror Game™, I'm playing this amazing Gamecube game called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

The greatest part of the game is the Sanity Meter. When an enemy stares at you your sanity meter slowly decreases. As it decreases you become more and more insane. And when you become insane the game really shines. I'd love nothing more than to describe the various mindfucks the game includes because they're that great. But that'd spoil the game. I'm not sensitive to spoilers at all. But this is one of those games where you want to literally know nothing about the content of the game before you start playing it. Granted, if a little nugget of information trickles down into your head it won't ruin the game. But it definitely takes away from the experience (even for people who don't care about spoilers like me).

The game doesn't just deliver quality though. It also delivers quantity. The game definitely gives you your fill of "psychological survival horror" (as it's described officially). It almost reminds me of the Silent Hill games where it's not so long that you get bored with it but it's not so short that it leaves you wanting more.

There are few negative aspects to the game. In fact, I wouldn't really call these negative but some might. The game is, in fact, a Gamecube game so obviously the graphics aren't going to be top of the line. But they're far from being bad. And also the combat system can be a little wonky at first. But that becomes second nature by the end of the game so it's no big deal.

With all that said, I highly recommend it to anyone who has a Gamecube or the ability to play Gamecube games. My quest for The Ultimate Horror Game™ hasn't ended with Eternal Darkness, but it definitely delivers on the creepy and crazy fronts. I give it 8 out of 10 bones.

^I dont remember too much as I played it together with a pal when it got released, but the one thing I do remember is that awesome sanity meter, I think I even did bad things on purpose in order to provoke the INSANITY let loose :guts: ...anyway I always thought that was like the only charm and that was it but you say its got good story/plot too? Cause Im a horror game enthusiast myself and I dont mind playing older games at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
^I dont remember too much as I played it together with a pal when it got released, but the one thing I do remember is that awesome sanity meter, I think I even did bad things on purpose in order to provoke the INSANITY let loose :guts: ...anyway I always thought that was like the only charm and that was it but you say its got good story/plot too? Cause Im a horror game enthusiast myself and I dont mind playing older games at all.

The story is pretty decent I'd say, if rather classical for someone who knows the literary basics of the genre. The way it's implemented in the game is great though IMHO. To me the game's weak point is rather its gameplay, and specifically the controls. They're not bad or anything, but a bit clunky in a way reminiscent of the early Resident Evil or Silent Hill games.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Dragon Quest Swords for Wii! To the average person, I'm sure this game sucks but it tickles the inner-DQ fanboy in me. Favorite RPG series - period.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Viral Harvest said:
Dragon Quest Swords for Wii! To the average person, I'm sure this game sucks but it tickles the inner-DQ fanboy in me. Favorite RPG series - period.

untitled.bmp

^Funny you should say that, I was just gonna post the exact same question :ganishka: just came home from a trip to Gamestop looking for something fresh, but even if Dark Souls is much better I dont wanna miss out on any possible yummy stuff Demon Souls might offer.

Aazealh said:
The story is pretty decent I'd say, if rather classical for someone who knows the literary basics of the genre. The way it's implemented in the game is great though IMHO. To me the game's weak point is rather its gameplay, and specifically the controls. They're not bad or anything, but a bit clunky in a way reminiscent of the early Resident Evil or Silent Hill games.
Ah and I guess that confirms it then, thanks. And I never really had any problem with those classic type controls either so it should be an interesting journey :)

Still have to finish the Darksiders games though. One epic game at a time :guts:

Skeleton said:
Continuing my Zoddian quest to find The Ultimate Horror Game™, I'm playing this amazing Gamecube game called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Did you ever play Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC)? Or how about The Suffering (PS2)? Those games creeped me out a bit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
Still have to finish the Darksiders games though. One epic game at a time :guts:

I'm not nearly as invested in Darksiders 2 as I was in the first one, for some reason. Played it a bit, put it down, haven't picked it up since.

Top Bottom