What Are You Playing?

I recently bought and beat Mass Effect 3. Not as bad as I had expected, and I even played my first run with none of the DLC but the
Prothean squadmate
. I enjoyed it quite a bit, some disappointments, but I mostly settled that stuff with ME2 so whatever, still love the series. Although Im also still pissed at them taking out traveling around on planets and contend that the mako was honestly not that hard to maneuver unless you're trying to drive an 80 degree incline :puck:. Overall it was quite enjoyable, Im anticipating whatever's next for the mass effect franchise.

Also played the walking dead game recently. Its a pretty damn fun and compelling game, though theres very little in terms of actual gameplay. I tried dark souls, but havent touched it since getting my ass kicked for a solid two hours. Ill maybe pick it up again when I have more time to dedicate.

And then finally, as always, tetris, so much tetris

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The original translation for Final Fantasy VI was so apallingly bad, that I shelled out the money for a GameBoy Micro and a used copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance. Should be here this weekend, or early next week.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
The original translation for Final Fantasy VI was so apallingly bad, that I shelled out the money for a GameBoy Micro and a used copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance. Should be here this weekend, or early next week.
Ive played both versions of the game a few times and I actually prefer the original. It has more charm, panache. Imagine an FFIV without "YOU SPOONY BARD!" that's what the GBA translation of FFVI felt like to me. Super conservative. Still definitely a translation worth seeing though for everything else it brings to the table. That version also has a new dungeon and weapons and espers. That GBA music processor though....

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Ive played both versions of the game a few times and I actually prefer the original. It has more charm, panache. Imagine an FFIV without "YOU SPOONY BARD!" that's what the GBA translation of FFVI felt like to me. Super conservative. Still definitely a translation worth seeing though for everything else it brings to the table. That version also has a new dungeon and weapons and espers. That GBA music processor though....

I never played them as a young kid, so I don't have that nostalgic feel for them like most others who played them on the SNES. I can't definitely see the appeal of that, though.

I've heard the GBA music processor isn't that great, but I looked at all the differences between the two, weighed my options, and figured I'd better check out the GBA version of the game. I'll let you know what I think after I'm finished with it.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Playing Monster hunger 2 on my psp. still pretty early on, only have done about 6 quests. Feels alright, just that the big monsters I think are too powerful.

Playing through Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island on the SNES. I still think this game is very under rated compared to SMW; the level design is fantastic.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The used copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance I purchased turned out to be a bootleg. I've placed an order for a new copy.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Rhombaad said:
The used copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance I purchased turned out to be a bootleg. I've placed an order for a new copy.

Not to negate your hardship, but I actually find this extremely amusing because the same thing happened to me - though I never bothered to return it. It is indeed FF6, but the sticker on the cartridge has the FF6 logo with Edward, Rosa, and Rydia beneath. Troubling.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Viral Harvest said:
Not to negate your hardship, but I actually find this extremely amusing because the same thing happened to me - though I never bothered to return it. It is indeed FF6, but the sticker on the cartridge has the FF6 logo with Edward, Rosa, and Rydia beneath. Troubling.

I'm not going to return it, either. I wouldn't want them to re-sell it to someone else.

My cartridge has the fiery orange logo from the intro on it. I found an image of what the actual cartridge looks like...wish I would've done that upon receiving my used copy. The order I placed yesterday is for a new copy of the game, so I shouldn't have the same issue this time around.

Sorry to hear you got duped, too.

Final Fantasy 1 through 9 are available on the Playstation Network for 50% off, making most of them 4.99. They also have the Dissidias, and War of the Lions for the same price. Not a bad deal if anyone is interested.

Finally bought battery for Galaxy SII ,really missed android for these past few months..went to Play store and bought Chaos Rings and Chrono Trigger from SQUARE ENIX ,absolutely love those two. I haven't played Chrono Trigger before and I'm having a blast with it now.

Lukis said:
Finally bought battery for Galaxy SII ,really missed android for these past few months..went to Play store and bought Chaos Rings and Chrono Trigger from SQUARE ENIX ,absolutely love those two. I hadnt played Chrono Trigger before and I'm having a blast with it now.

Chrono Trigger is a fantastic game.

BerserkMJM said:
I didn't play Chrono Trigger until around 2008, and I've beaten it about five times now.

I usually don't do that with games.

Awesome man!

I recently been working my butt off playing video games. When I wasn't roaming the wastelands of Fallout or the peaks of Skyrim I managed to get some games in.

I beat Resident Evil 6 in its entirety, the game sat in my collection nearly since the day it came out. Leon and Sherry's story I enjoyed most. The game was alright. Hate the direction, but I still like the gameplay. Recent rumors of a reboot, not that I welcome it as the original resident evil has been remade at least 5 times that I can count off the top of my head. But I feel the game needs to turn around at some point to simply find itself. Resident Evil 6 was so irrelevant to anything that came before it. Capcom fired the creator after RE4, I wish they would pull their shit together and get him back.

After RE6, I beat RE: Operation Raccoon City. I enjoyed it not because of the gameplay, but because for me it was trip down memory lane. Watching the T003 Mr. X slowly pace towards me as he stood 7ft tall put a great smile on my face. I asked myself right then "where did this feeling go." You know: Fear.

Last night I beat The Walking Dead game. I really enjoyed it. The TV series has gotten none stop buzz so I could never bring myself to watch it. Plus, I was siding with American Horror Story. But after this game, I'll give the tv series a chance. I was going to check it out down the line after it was all said and done. Much like breaking bad, but eventually it napped me in as well. Thank God.

Next game up will be the new Metal Gear.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Capcom fired the creator after RE4, I wish they would pull their shit together and get him back.

Mikami was never fired. After RE4's huge success they formed Clover Studio, and after some mixed results Capcom wanted to merge Clover back into the rest of their R&D team. That's when a lot of key members, Mikami included, decided to split and form Seeds (that later became Platinum games).

Aazealh said:
Mikami was never fired. After RE4's huge success they formed Clover Studio, and after some mixed results Capcom wanted to merge Clover back into the rest of their R&D team. That's when a lot of key members, Mikami included, decided to split and form Seeds (that later became Platinum games).

I believe Mikami was very out spoken at his time with Capcom. Mostly because Capcom pledged him at every turn. Resident Evil was to be cancelled, the only reason that didn't happen was because Capcom had FINALLY made a deal with Sony and its new Playstation system. The Sega Saturn was the original console that RE was intended for, but it was very apparent that releasing...ANY thing on the Saturn was going to be a mistake. Capcom was deeply invested in the Sony Playstation brand, and for some reason Shinji never seemed to like Sony. He was always mentioning how Nintendo and Sega systems offered him more freedom. On top of that, I think Code Veronica being ported the PS2 caused him great frustration. I think a lot of that crossed over when RE4 finally ported to the PS2. As Mikami had REALLY seemed to make Nintendo (and fans) promises it was a GC exclusive. I remember reading a interview where he was explaining it was a pretty difficult port (Both CV and RE4.) I remember Mikami being very confident with the GC and marketing the RE series for it. Which, not to say that it was a flop, but I think it did limit his audience, and maybe even cut off a lot of the established RE fan base, whom up to that point were probably still loyal Sony fans.

I personally was thinking twice about getting a Game Cube. Because I had bought the Dreamcast to get Code Veronica. I had never been a Sega fan up till that point. I love the DC, but it was very different to me at the time. Following the series to the GC pretty much meant I was going to have to start investing in a new console and that consoles game library. Result till this day. A GC on top shelf and 8 GC games. Nearly nothing on the GC appealed to me. Mikami made a game called PN oo3 and I'm pretty sure it flopped. I'm sure Capcom called him out on that, and things blew over. I was under the impression that he finally got fired. I could easily see him walking out just as well. I can't imagine walking away from such a renowned series that you created. It must of been very hard for him.

I had to go back, because I thought Clover Studio was a branch studio in Capcom. Your right, he left Capcom then formed Clover Studio's. It was Studio 4 he was the manager there of.

-Also have completed Silent Hill: Downpour. I enjoyed it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
-Also have completed Silent Hill: Downpour. I enjoyed it.

Did they ever patch it? I enjoyed it for what I played but I couldn't even bring myself to finish it since it was so glitchy. After I was unable to complete a sidequest because of a glitch I just quit and swore I woun't pick it up again until they came out with a patch.

Oburi said:
Did they ever patch it? I enjoyed it for what I played but I couldn't even bring myself to finish it since it was so glitchy. After I was unable to complete a sidequest because of a glitch I just quit and swore I woun't pick it up again until they came out with a patch.

Which side quest? Digging up the artifices or something? I do recall it at times slowing down and even over welming me with 20 street thug monsters. The game needed a lot of work done. But the story I felt was pretty decent. The prision towards then end had some great moments. My favorite moments in the game is
building the play from the production balcony. Once the scene is assembled, the lights go out and the scene comes to life. Becoming the boogyman at the end was pretty fun take as well, though I wish they would have done more with it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Death May Die said:
Which side quest? Digging up the artifices or something? I do recall it at times slowing down and even over welming me with 20 street thug monsters. The game needed a lot of work done. But the story I felt was pretty decent. The prision towards then end had some great moments. My favorite moments in the game is
building the play from the production balcony. Once the scene is assembled, the lights go out and the scene comes to life. Becoming the boogyman at the end was pretty fun take as well, though I wish they would have done more with it.

Yea i really enjoyed it. And the part you mentioned was one of my favorites as well. Absolutely loved it. The sidequest i mentioned was one where you have to collect items for an old man so that he gives you access to the sewers. I couldn't get the final item (fishing rod) because of some stupid glitch. I was so pissed. Also i think another quest when your using these item symbol things to make shadows or something is either glitched or the most ridiculously ill explained and horribly over convoluted side quest I've experienced.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I had to go back, because I thought Clover Studio was a branch studio in Capcom. Your right, he left Capcom then formed Clover Studio's. It was Studio 4 he was the manager there of.

Clover Studio was a branch of Capcom. That's why they left when Capcom wanted to reintegrate them, because they didn't want to lose their newly gained independence.

Oburi said:
Yea i really enjoyed it. And the part you mentioned was one of my favorites as well. Absolutely loved it. The sidequest i mentioned was one where you have to collect items for an old man so that he gives you access to the sewers. I couldn't get the final item (fishing rod) because of some stupid glitch. I was so pissed. Also i think another quest when your using these item symbol things to make shadows or something is either glitched or the most ridiculously ill explained and horribly over convoluted side quest I've experienced.

The shadow side quest is the hardest in the game for sure.

People will probably kill me for saying this but I have never actually played Final Fantasy 6. I own most of the other games but it's one I just never got a chance to go through. I have heard its amazing and thankfully my friend is going to let me borrow his SNES copy soon; I am excited!

Oburi

All praise Grail
tama chan said:
People will probably kill me for saying this but I have never actually played Final Fantasy 6. I own most of the other games but it's one I just never got a chance to go through.

Either have I. I've only played a few FF games actually.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
I've only played a few FF games actually.

Which ones? I'll let you know if you got the good end of the bargain. =) Anyway, you guys should definitely cross FF6 off your gaming bucket list ASAP.

I'm partying like it's 1999; playing Diablo II on my PC (lvl 70 SC and lvl 14 HC barb), plus Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy Tactics on my phone. Also messing around with Twilight Princess (finished the first temple and am a stupid wolf again, so I'm probably done with it) and Wind Waker (at the Tower of the Gods and still having fun) in HD on Dolphin. I even downloaded some HD textures for the HUB in WW. I'm working on getting Skyward Sword up and running for a belated Hero Mode run (thank you, save states). Already got the iso on my PC (pain in the ass) and now it's just a matter of getting a bluetooth dongle and wireless sensor bar from Fry's (I was going to try to MacGyver it: attempting to use my phone as the dongle and two candles to simulate the infrared lights of the sensor bar, but it was the phone thing that didn't work of course =).

Top Bottom