What Are You Playing?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Its better than dmc4 in the sense that its gameplay and visuals are much better, but bayonetta is in no way better than the dmc franchise. Its just more advanced technically. Story wise its got nothing on dmc.

I've been playing Trine these days.

Oburi said:
Story wise its got nothing on dmc.

I don't think I've ever met someone that played DMC for its story. The first scene of the first game pretty much shows what to expect in terms of depth.

Anyway, there's a nice Mega64 video for Bayonetta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxE6H83Xw0s

G

GASKA

Walter said:
Seriously, what does this even mean?
It means I love Devil May Cry (DMC) and I decided that is my favorite action game. Now Bayonetta is out and it's "suppose" to be better than any DMC game and I don't like it. DMC 1 and Bayonetta were made by the same guy by the way.

GASKA said:
It means I love Devil May Cry (DMC) and I decided that is my favorite action game. Now Bayonetta is out and it's "suppose" to be better than any DMC game and I don't like it. DMC 1 and Bayonetta were made by the same guy by the way.

Do you not like that it's better or do you not like Bayonetta? If it's the former, why would that upset you? It doesn't invalidate the enjoyment you got out of the DMC games.

G

GASKA

Well, DMC is supposedly the action game champ, surpassing even GoW. Alot of people say Bayonetta is better than the whole DMC series and that pisses me off. Even Famitsu gave the XBOX 360 version a perfect score and that is really rare.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
GASKA said:
Well, DMC is supposedly the action game champ, surpassing even GoW.

I don't really think so...Moreover the GoW combat system has been used for some of the last games.

I think that DMC is a good action game, but GoW is GoW man.

G

GASKA

I know, I just like Dante's style more than Kratos. I played every GoW and DMC and I have to admit that GoW is more polished, but DMC is way cooler. I might end up picking up Bayonetta someday but action games take a back seat to RPGs for me.

*SPOILERS*

Kratos killed his wife and kid and seeks revenge on the gods, ARES!! ARES!! Dante's story is all over the place. GoW3 will probably be amazing in the graphics/gameplay area, but DMC will always have a cooler story IMO. Both games are the best of their genre though. DMC 4 gets a plus for having Johnny Bosch play as Nero ;)

For me it goes like this...

Story > Gameplay > Graphics

Daijyashin

GASKA said:
I know, I just like Dante's style more than Kratos.

Ok. Here it's just matter of taste.

GASKA said:
I played every GoW and DMC and I have to admit that GoW is more polished, but DMC is way cooler. I might end up picking up Bayonetta someday but action games take a back seat to RPGs for me.

I have played too both the GoW and DMC series, but I can say the contrary:

You say that GoW is more polished, but I can state that GoW is more brutal and cooler all the way, even when he finishes the enemies. So it's just a point of view.

GASKA said:
Dante's story is all over the place.

Again it's just your taste. So it's not a big deal stating that DMC is the Action game champ(especially if like I said before GoW is making school). Moreover we have to play GoW 3 to fully express a judgment about the GoW trilogy.

Then of course everyone are free to appreciate more the story in an action game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GASKA said:
Now alot of peopleare saying Bayonetta is better than the whole DMC series and that pisses me off. Even Famitsu gave the XBOX 360 version a perfect score and that is really rare.

One would have to be seriously dumb not to understand that DMC's creator's new game surpassing his previous games is NORMAL.

GASKA said:
I might end up picking up Bayonetta someday but action games take a back seat to RPGs for me.

Then why aren't you playing some RPGs instead of being in denial about DMC? It's not like any of these action games' plots is even worth talking about.

G

GASKA

Aazealh said:
One would have to be seriously dumb not to understand that DMC's creator's new game surpassing his previous games is NORMAL.

Then why aren't you playing some RPGs instead of being in denial about DMC? It's not like any of these action games' plots is even worth talking about.
Like I said earlier, I'm playing Valkyrie Profile 2 right now in anticipation of FFXIII. And sure action games plots aren't anything worth writing home about. Marik is right about needing to play GoW3 before making judgements however even Jaffe admits DMC has a better battle system than GoW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQKePM92CT0

He seems really down to earth though. Honestly, I rank ICO and Colossus higher than DMC and GoW. And Aazealh, just because the game is newer doesn't mean it will definitely be better. One would have to be an idiot to always believe that BS. Is FF9, FF10 and so on better than FF7? Xenogears anyone? What about Metal Gear Solid VS MGS2? Your argument doesn't make sense.

All in all, it's a matter of opinion. There's no right or wrong here.

Daijyashin

GASKA said:
however even Jaffe admits DMC has a better battle system than GoW...

I think the guy is being ironic. Anyway, the fact remains that the combat system of DMC is not that cited anymore and that suggests what could be better.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
GASKA said:
Honestly, I rank ICO and Colossus higher than DMC and GoW. And Aazealh, just because the game is newer doesn't mean it will definitely be better. One would have to be an idiot to always believe that BS. Is FF9, FF10 and so on better than FF7? Xenogears anyone? What about Metal Gear Solid VS MGS2? Your argument doesn't make sense.
If you strip out story as an important factor, most newer iterations of games will be better than their predecessors, as the action and gameplay formula is continually refined and improved upon. That's especially true of franchises like DMC and God of War where the most important factors are the gameplay and attacking options/features.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GASKA said:
And sure action games plots aren't anything worth writing home about.

Glad we agree, because that's not what you were saying earlier.

GASKA said:
Honestly, I rank ICO and Colossus higher than DMC and GoW.

Those are neither DMC-like action games nor RPGs though, and the mechanics and general atmosphere of these games are what make them great, rather than just their story.

GASKA said:
And Aazealh, just because the game is newer doesn't mean it will definitely be better. One would have to be an idiot to always believe that BS. Is FF9, FF10 and so on better than FF7? Xenogears anyone? What about Metal Gear Solid VS MGS2? Your argument doesn't make sense.

Well I didn't say any recent game will always, definitely be better than an older one, did I? I said that there's nothing surprising with Hideki Kamiya's new game surpassing his previous titles, which is also what everybody else is saying. You're in denial for some unexplained reason but the facts are here. Don't chalk up your lack of comprehension to what I said not making sense.

GASKA said:
All in all, it's a matter of opinion. There's no right or wrong here.

Yes there is: what you said was not only wrong but also nonsensical.

G

GASKA

Walter said:
If you strip out story as an important factor, most newer iterations of games will be better than their predecessors, as the action and gameplay formula is continually refined and improved upon. That's especially true of franchises like DMC and God of War where the most important factors are the gameplay and attacking options/features.
I can't agree with you here. DMC4 is considered the 2nd worst game of the series behind DMC2. DMC 3 is considered the best so your logic doesn't make sense (no offense). And yeah Marik, irony or not the guy was wasted and just started working on GoW3 so only time will tell. The fact remains, if DMC4 is the last game of the series then DMC will not be hailed as the best action game of all time.

Oh and Aazealh, sorry pal but Ico and Colossus are in the same genre as DMC and GoW so fall back.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/cat_195.html

It seems there is no reason to argue with you because you can't grasp what I'm saying here.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
GASKA said:
Marik is right about needing to play GoW3 before making judgements however even Jaffe admits DMC has a better battle system than GoW...

He was being sarcastic dude.

Edit: Anyways. Personally I never liked Devil May Cry, I beat it once and that was after I forced my self to sit down and beat it. Outside of that, I felt the game was mediocre at best. I'm sure that's how I'd feel about Bayonetta, especially watching that video Griffith posted of random shit being killed and destroyed.

Oh and Aazealh, sorry pal but Ico and Colossus are in the same genre as DMC and GoW so fall back.

It seems there is no reason to argue with you because you can't grasp what I'm saying here.

They might be "action adventure and fantasy" according to gamefaqs, but doesn't mean they are the same kind of games. It's like you just compared Bubble Bobble to Gears of War because you fight monsters underground.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GASKA said:

Hahahaha, are you serious? :ganishka:

GASKA said:

Yeah sure kid. Never change, you're on the road to success!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
GASKA said:
I can't agree with you here. DMC4 is considered the 2nd worst game of the series behind DMC2. DMC 3 is considered the best so your logic doesn't make sense (no offense). And yeah Marik, irony or not the guy was wasted and just stared working on GoW3 so only time will tell. The fact remains, if DMC4 is the last game of the series then DMC will not be hailed as the best action game of all time.
Sorry, I can't say I'm familiar with the DMC series. Sounds like someone dropped the ball in developing the gameplay for 4 then. And while hiccups will still occur, I think my logic follows if applied generally across the videogame industry:

Say Flash Force is a side-scrolling action beat-em-up. Flash Force I had the ability to punch and kick. Flash Force II added the ability to throw. Flash Force III added 2 additional characters and multiplayer. Flash Force IV added Weavel the Wobbler, a universally panned character for which the franchise is now hated for.

The logic still applies, imo, but the guy who introduced Weavel is probably working in a soup kitchen now.

PS: GameFAQs is not the arbiter of videogame genres, and it's pretty laughable that you'd consider it to be...

G

GASKA

Walter said:
Sorry, I can't say I'm familiar with the DMC series. Sounds like someone dropped the ball in developing the gameplay for 4 then. And while hiccups will still occur, I think my logic follows if applied generally across the videogame industry:

Say Flash Force is a side-scrolling action beat-em-up. Flash Force I had the ability to punch and kick. Flash Force II added the ability to throw. Flash Force III added 2 additional characters and multiplayer. Flash Force IV added Weavel the Wobbler, a universally panned character for which the franchise is now hated for.

The logic still applies, imo, but the guy who introduced Weavel is probably on the street now.
No no Walter, you totally make a good point but it just doesn't work that way with DMC, that's all. For instance GoW2 is better than GoW, and I'm sure GoW3 will be the best of the series. DMC is just messed up like that. So I understand what your saying. To be honest I just don't care for Kratos' design and weapons as much as Dantes. That really sums it up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GASKA said:
To be honest I just don't care for Kratos' design and weapons as much as Dantes. That really sums it up.

Then that should have been your point from the beginning, not about the story or anything else. It's a lot easier to understand too. You just don't like Bayonetta's curves as much as Dante's manly pecs, is that it? :slan:

Top Bottom