What Are You Playing?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
IGN calls Dead Space 2 the new "gold standard of survival horror". So i tried it at a friend's house. It's my conviction now that you can put the "survival" tag in almost every game, since one of the main objectives is not to die. Mario is the gold standard of survival platform!
How is this game about trying to survive? You feel no vulnerability at all, you have an immense arsenal of awesome weapons at your disposal, and you can get away from danger easily.
RE4 started the trend and DS2 sucess is sure to finish the possibility of seeing another survival horror game done right.
Well, at least some recent indie games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent do the genre justice.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
NightCrawler said:
IGN calls Dead Space 2 the new "gold standard of survival horror". So i tried it at a friend's house. It's my conviction now that you can put the "survival" tag in almost every game, since one of the main objectives is not to die. Mario is the gold standard of survival platform!
How is this game about trying to survive? You feel no vulnerability at all, you have an immense arsenal of awesome weapons at your disposal, and you can get away from danger easily.
RE4 started the trend and DS2 sucess is sure to finish the possibility of seeing another survival horror game done right.
Well, at least some recent indie games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent do the genre justice.

Haha, yeah it seems like most horror/survival games are just becoming action games. I read an article where a guy played fallout 3 without VATS or a HUD with increased water and food requirements - It took away any safety he felt by being able to pause the game and pick and choose enemies. I wish more games would do this. Amnesia scares the crap out of me because I can't do shit. I feel helpless, scrounging for sources of light.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Truder said:
I saw that article too. :ganishka:
people were raging about how that list was half-assed.

nerdrage.gif

NightCrawler said:

I'd make some point about your friend maybe having powered up his character by then or something, but then again I started from the beginning and once I got the hang of it again I started dominating with just the plasma cutter (8 nodes and you're setting guys on fire) and the machine gun (I won't even buy the other guns). Like the new REs, it's designed like an assembly line of rooms and bad guys to fight, broken up so you can manage it all quite easily if you know how, and dying is meaningless because you basically just start from that room again (plus, you always know exactly where to go). I don't know, I'm only playing it at the default difficulty, and that doesn't mean much these days with everything geared towards a casual experience. The harder settings promise far less supplies and tougher enemy situations, but it wasn't too long ago that Resident Evil even forced you to ration your saves. Anyway, I'm still enjoying all its bloody fun, but yeah, by default I wouldn't call it much more of a survival horror experience than Doom 3.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
The harder settings promise far less supplies and tougher enemy situations, but it wasn't too long ago that Resident Evil even forced you to ration your saves.
The hardest difficulty setting for Dead Space 2 (unlocked after completion) only allows you three saves. Unsure if there are checkpoints at each room.

Griffith

Walter said:
The hardest difficulty setting for Dead Space 2 (unlocked after completion) only allows you three saves. Unsure if there are checkpoints at each room.

Either way, that sounds horrible alright. =)

BTW, playing Dead Space 2 gave me an idea for a new Mass Effect build: Isaac Shepard. At first I was naturally going to make him a custom Infiltrator with Isaac's face, but then decided a sentinel with assault rifle was the best choice, at least in ME1. ME2 I'd have to think about more since I'm not as familiar with its builds, though it might work even better, at least aesthetically (already tested the look I'd want with the appropriate armor upgrades, Death Mask, etc, and tints).

UPDATE:

Beat Dead Space 2 and unlocked hardcore, and yes, you can only save 3 times and you restart from your last save. Yeesh, won't be doing that.

As for the game, it was cool and addictive, but could get tedious after 10 hours of going in circles killing the same enemies (from Dead Space 1); speaking of which, it was about as much of a retread as a sequel can possibly be. They should have just called it Dead Space Too. =)

P.S. I have a GameFly account for about another 28 days. Any recommendations on a must play game that's on PS3? Keep in mind I have MGS4 and Arkham Asylum here, as well as the Call of Duty games.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
P.S. I have a GameFly account for about another 28 days. Any recommendations on a must play game that's on PS3? Keep in mind I have MGS4 and Arkham Asylum here, as well as the Call of Duty games.

Uncharted 1 & 2, God of War 3, Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Infamous.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Seconded on both Demon's Souls and Heavy Rain...and I don't care if people think the latter isn't a "game"; you should still check it out. It's not perfect, but it really moved me. (Not literally. Playstation Move wasn't out yet :slan:)

Griffith said:

Nier. Best game that has had anything to do with Square-Enix in years.

I completed 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for the DS a week ago (you have to playthrough the game five times to get all the endings and to understand the whole mystery). One of the best adventure games I've played right now and it's become my favourite DS game. What a great story, it takes all of the trope and steretypes and turns them on their head (the writer said this was the intention). Hihgly recommend to any DS owners.

Currently playing Dead to Rights: Retribution and I've missed games of this type from this gen (you know, all of the action games that aren't about space marines or set during medieval times, so sick of them now). It's the closest we're going to get to another Max Payne game this gen (MP3 is basically vaporware by now).

I just beat Dead Space 2 yesterday afternoon..I was actually somewhat disappointed with it. I preferred Dead Space's looming atmosphere, rather than Dead Space 2's fast paced bullet storm. I was shouting all the colorful insults of the Insult Rainbow™, and "OH, YEAH!! GET SOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" most of the time. ..TREMENDOUSLY IMPRESSED. DEAD SPACE CANNOT POSSIBLY BRIDGE THE GULF BETWEEN ITSELF AND DEAD SPACE 2. DEAD SPACE 2 IS SUPERIOR IN EVERY ASPECT OF ITS PREDECESSOR! CONVERGENCE IS UPON US! ALTMAN BE PRAISED :troll:

Griffith--

For the PS3, I recommend the Uncharted series and God of War III.

Now, one of you guys do me a favor...can any of you recommend a GOOD RPG game? I'm talking from PS3 on back, on any system except Sega Saturn, Gameboy Color, and Dreamcast (I don't own any of these systems..). I am so sick of these "offline" MMOs that have permeated the traditional RPG market, masquerading as RPG games.

AND FOR EVERY PERSON THAT RECOMMENDS FINAL FANTASIES 12 OR 13, I WILL TORCH A COPY OF BERSERK. :femto:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Madam President said:
Now, one of you guys do me a favor...can any of you recommend a GOOD RPG game? I'm talking from PS3 on back, on any system except Sega Saturn, Gameboy Color, and Dreamcast (I don't own any of these systems..). I am so sick of these "offline" MMOs that have permeated the traditional RPG market, masquerading as RPG games.

If there was one single RPG to play: Infinite Space on the Nintendo DS.

Otherwise there's Mass Effect 1 & 2 on Xbox 360 and PC.

That's assuming you're not looking for older stuff, because then the list would be very long.

Aphasia

Madam President said:

Oh, you're looking for Morrowind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J4F3bs3Pk

Oburi

All praise Grail
Madam President said:

As Aaz said the list of older rpgs would be very long, but I noticed the original Suikoden was on the Ps3 network for dowload, and that is indeed one of my favorite all time games (they don't have Suikoden 2 though :sad:) But I would recomend that. Other than, yea Mass Effect.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:

What Aaz said. I'm a big fan of Demon's Souls but that game is not for everyone. It's hard, stressing and there's a lot to learn that it's not explained or mentioned. But if you like Medieval type-fantasy, you may love it. I know, I know....contradicting. But I just love that game.

Little Big Planet 1 or 2. From the outside, it may look like a childs game. But the creative options in those games (specially the second one) are paramount. Somehow I can see you loving it.

I still say Warhawk is a good pass time game. It's a basic 3rd person online shooter. I still play it from time to time and it's not the hardcore kind. It's just basic and fun.

Griffith

Nomad said:
Little Big Planet 1 or 2. From the outside, it may look like a childs game. But the creative options in those games (specially the second one) are paramount. Somehow I can see you loving it.

Yeah, I got to play the first one around the time I played Dead Space 1 and it was a lot of fun.

Just beat Dead Space 2. Awesome game. Creeped me out here and there. Don't know if I enjoyed it more than the first as the original was a fresh experience in the genre for me. Gonna fire up Wind Waker and allow that to occupy me until MvC3 comes out. Can't wait!

Griffith

dwarfkicker said:
Just beat Dead Space 2. Awesome game. Creeped me out here and there.

Yeah, how about those last few Chapters? Since I was fooled into thinking I was almost done around Chapter 11 or something, I wasted my excess funds on nodes and the Vintage suit, so no buying my way to end. Then they threw every monster in the book at me over and over again until it actually became something like survival horror; though, more like suicidal horror.

Anyway, things got a little ragged for me at the end, but I made it and now I'm New Game Plusing it on Zealot and more than holding my own still. Just made it to Chapter 4 and so far it's actually been easier than it was to this point on Normal since, in addition to my powered up weapons, instead of shaking off rust I'm going for artistry in my kills now. I'm still only using the Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle.

dwarfkicker said:
Don't know if I enjoyed it more than the first as the original was a fresh experience in the genre for me.

That's what holds this one back for me, I just expected more since the first game really impressed me with how it combined and perfected some of the best gameplay elements of the decade into a streamlined package that at once made it feel innovative and old school. Though, 2 does harken back to the good old days when sequels were all just like the first game with new levels. =)

deadspace2.jpg

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I'm still playing around with Bayonetta, even though I'm a couple years late on that one. I think I might go back and replay SMT: Nocturne though. Good game about convincing demons to fight for you and shoving magic parasites up your nose. The only thing keeping me from it is this huge spike in difficulty after the first "dungeon".

33mbpu1.png

Beat Dead Space 2 as well I thought it was way more creepy then the first cant wait for the 3rd to come out. But felt it was alittle anticlimatic in the end.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Breed1Ghost said:
Beat Dead Space 2 as well I thought it was way more creepy then the first cant wait for the 3rd to come out. But felt it was alittle anticlimatic in the end.
I don't think it was more creepy than the first but I must say those
raptor monsters (ecspecially on the harder diffculties)
scared me. I did love the ending though.

Aphasia

Re-playing Ocarina of Time and then probably Majora's Mask. I love them. Haven't played them in years, still have the old N64 laying around but I decided to buy it on the virtual console for convenience. And because I'm trying to set a record for most copies of a single game bought.

I just entered the Dodongo's Cavern. I've honestly forgotten a lot of the stuff the went on, but still have a general idea of what to do. The game is still fun as tits if you were wondering.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Aphasia said:
Re-playing Ocarina of Time and then probably Majora's Mask. I love them. Haven't played them in years, still have the old N64 laying around but I decided to buy it on the virtual console for convenience. And because I'm trying to set a record for most copies of a single game bought.

I just entered the Dodongo's Cavern. I've honestly forgotten a lot of the stuff the went on, but still have a general idea of what to do. The game is still fun as tits if you were wondering.
Majoras mask is my favorite Zelda. :guts:

Aphasia

Truder said:
Majoras mask is my favorite Zelda. :guts:

That's funny, I'm also in the cool club that enjoys MM more than Ocarina of Time. I love them both, but Majora's Mask is just weird and different enough for it to become my 2nd favorite next to Link's Awakening. It seems everyone who plays the game either loves it or hates it (mostly due to the way they handled time, which I thought was brilliant) and the story, while it didn't break the Zelda formula (dungeons, big boss at the end, collect shit) It was a big departure from standard Zelda fare. I applaud it for being so different.

Now that I think about it, both games do very interesting things with the time passing dynamic. It's really cool to see how things change over a broad period of time (Ocarina) or a few days before doomsday in MM.

Also, it had those awesome wacky commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls8ac3rQWSs

Oburi said:
I don't think it was more creepy than the first but I must say those
raptor monsters (ecspecially on the harder diffculties)
scared me. I did love the ending though.

Agreed they scared me also I dont like the fact that they can hide and jump =(

Top Bottom