What Are You Playing?

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
m said:
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just let me tell you that I think so highly of this game that I bought it a while ago even though I don't own a DS yet (only 2 days to go! I can't wait!)
I love the music, if that counts for anything. I assume you're getting a 3DS?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Edit: Does anyone have any experience with DSI downloadable games? Is there anything worth mentioning? One thing I was going to check into was Shantae: Risky's Revenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyJlQp-BjYk

Never played any so far, but I'll be getting Risky's Revenge when I get my 3DS. It's pretty much the highest rated DSiWare game out there and it looks amazing.

Aphasia

It really does, can't wait to try it out. The pixel art style is lovely. It's impressive how much detail they can manage to cram in there. The animation is great, too. I should get my DS later today. Need a cryochamber.

Turning 30 in three days (augh!), and already people are getting things for me from my Steam wishlist.

Which means I'm currently playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Good god damn is this ever a truly effective horror game. I mean, I'm not one to get easily spooked, but holy shit. All of you should at least get the demo off Steam, because this is a truly excellent psychological horror game.

Aphasia

Happy early birthday Bekul. :ubik: That's pretty awesome that your friends get you games for your birthday.

Amnesia is incredibly scary. It's one of those games I have to be in the right mood to play, and as a result it will take me a year to beat it. :magni: Most days after work I feel less like "I want to be scared shitless" and more "I want to blow some shit up" so the games with explosions usually win out (but not always)

It's fun to make other people play it and watch their reactions. My sister utterly flips out.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Ting Wings. Yes, insanely addictive. 3 of us in the office are competing like fiends over this game. Whilst at the bars, I need to stop myself from playing it and act like a social human being. :isidro:

Aphasia

Proj2501 said:
Ting Wings. Yes, insanely addictive. 3 of us in the office are competing like fiends over this game. Whilst at the bars, I need to stop myself from playing it and act like a social human being. :isidro:

Tiny wings is good fun. Much more original than that other bird game. What's your highscore?

@ people who've played/gotten their 3DS - what do you think?

I just got my DSI and I'm having a blast with it. Pokemon is just as addictive as I remember it being. Elite beat agents made me laugh out loud several times at the absurdity. It's sure to make it into my top 10 at this rate. Coming from sticks and D pads, I'm surprised how intuitive and natural the stylus/touchscreen combination is.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Tiny wings is good fun. Much more original than that other bird game.
They're both ripoffs, actually.

Wavespark came before Tiny Wings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-vuPdcDa30

Crush the Castle came before Angry Birds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04hoY1KpwQ

As for me, I'm still plowing through Radiant Historia. 21 hours in and no sign of it ending.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Finished Killzone 3. It felt short on campaing mode, but still good in my case. Now just playing online most of the time for now. Also, bought Tiger Woods PGA tour 11, only sports game I like to play.

Aphasia said:

I'm extremely happy with it except for one thing: the battery. That thing doesn't last at all. I like having the 3D to the max and the screens as bright as possible, but still.

Right now I have Rayman 3D and Nintendogs, and I personally think that the 3D effect does add to the game in Rayman while it doesn't do much for Nintendogs. If Zelda looks as good as Rayman does (and I believe it will look better) then it'll be great. I can't wait for that game to be released.

The mini-games included with the 3DS are fun (if only at first) and among those, the augmented reality games are pretty impressive. Especially considering that it's just a first attempt at exploiting the technology. I also can't wait to see what they come up with later.

After playing for a while my eyes do get tired but I'm not sure it's just because of the 3D effect, I think focusing on such a small screen is tiring for me. My left hand has started to hurt a bit after playing for over half an hour, perhaps I'm not holding the device correctly. I'm also having a bit of a hard time getting used to the circle pad (I think it's located too high on the device). If it were up to me, I think I'd play only using the D-pad. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to the D-pad eventually.

I've played DS games on it and I don't have any reason to complain, I think the colors and the sprites look just fine, though I have nothing to compare them too having never played them in a DSi.

I think it was worth a day one purchase and I'm sure it'll provide many entertaining hours in the months and maybe even years to come.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:

Great system as far as I'm concerned; has a lot of potential. I see 3D as being similar to HD (on a TV) in terms of what it can offer the player. My eyes don't get tired and I like the button placement, although I'm not yet completely used to the Start/Home/Select buttons. The circle pad is just marvelous. When playing NDS games without forcing the resolution down, the blur is indeed noticeable if you're looking for it. But that hasn't prevented me from playing my DS games on the 3DS. Not a deal breaker for me. Overall it feels like Nintendo really made an effort with the system, especially on the software side when compared to my first gen NDS.

Anyway, as usual the games will make or break it. In that regard I think it's fine to wait a few months to get one (I only bought mine on day one because of the good deals we were getting over here). But I do think it's very promising.

Aphasia

Walter said:
They're both ripoffs, actually.

Well that's a little disappointing. Though with the app store being notorious for this kind of thing I shouldn't be surprised.

m said:
I'm extremely happy with it except for one thing: the battery. That thing doesn't last at all. I like having the 3D to the max and the screens as bright as possible, but still.

Right now I have Rayman 3D and Nintendogs, and I personally think that the 3D effect does add to the game in Rayman while it doesn't do much for Nintendogs. If Zelda looks as good as Rayman does (and I believe it will look better) then it'll be great. I can't wait for that game to be released.

The mini-games included with the 3DS are fun (if only at first) and among those, the augmented reality games are pretty impressive. Especially considering that it's just a first attempt at exploiting the technology. I also can't wait to see what they come up with later.
Aazealh said:
Great system as far as I'm concerned; has a lot of potential. I see 3D as being similar to HD (on a TV) in terms of what it can offer the player. My eyes don't get tired and I like the button placement, although I'm not yet completely used to the Start/Home/Select buttons. The circle pad is just marvelous. When playing NDS games without forcing the resolution down, the blur is indeed noticeable if you're looking for it. But that hasn't prevented me from playing my DS games on the 3DS. Not a deal breaker for me. Overall it feels like Nintendo really made an effort with the system, especially on the software side when compared to my first gen NDS.

Anyway, as usual the games will make or break it. In that regard I think it's fine to wait a few months to get one (I only bought mine on day one because of the good deals we were getting over here). But I do think it's very promising.

That's great! I'm glad you guys are enjoying the system and find it worthy of an early buy. I've heard the 3D effect is very different from traditional movie 3D, but instead serves to create an illusion of depth. The AR games that are included seem especially cool. I could see games taking advantage of that technology to make some super unique experiences. Card games like magic would be nuts.

I'm glad I decided to stick with a DSI for now. The blur effect is a big turn-off personally. I'm about 20 hours into Pokemon White. Anyone wondering about getting this should grab a copy, it's a great addition to the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
That's great! I'm glad you guys are enjoying the system and find it worthy of an early buy. I've heard the 3D effect is very different from traditional movie 3D, but instead serves to create an illusion of depth.

It can be used to make things pop out of the screen, just so it's clear. I did it with an AR game and took a picture of a Mii literally jumping out of the screen.

Aphasia said:
The AR games that are included seem especially cool. I could see games taking advantage of that technology to make some super unique experiences. Card games like magic would be nuts.

Yeah the AR games are neat. Whenever a Face Raider rip-off comes out on cellphones it's going to make an absolute killing.

Aphasia

Beat Pokemon white after putting in an embarrassing amount of hours. This hobby is terrible for you.

Aphasia said:
Beat Pokemon white after putting in an embarrassing amount of hours. This hobby is terrible for you.

Me too! It's probably the easiest game I've played in the last 10 years. Fun as hell, though. And it only took me 30 hours to beat it (post-game stuff included), which is normal for an RPG I guess?

If you're like me and detested or didn't care about the Pokémon games that came after Red/Blue or Gold/Silver, I recommend you give this a shot. It's much better, all the monsters look cool and the story is decent (as far as lighthearted Pokemon anime shit goes). I really enjoyed it all the way through! When the online stuff debuts I'll pick it up again for sure. And there's a lot of online stuff, like "downloadable" events (more like "unlockable through the internet" events) that can give you rare Pokemon and shit like that. Yeah it's pretty rad. Pokémon.

Aphasia

Eluvei said:
Me too! It's probably the easiest game I've played in the last 10 years. Fun as hell, though. And it only took me 30 hours to beat it (post-game stuff included), which is normal for an RPG I guess?

If you're like me and detested or didn't care about the Pokémon games that came after Red/Blue or Gold/Silver, I recommend you give this a shot. It's much better, all the monsters look cool and the story is decent (as far as lighthearted Pokemon anime shit goes). I really enjoyed it all the way through! When the online stuff debuts I'll pick it up again for sure. And there's a lot of online stuff, like "downloadable" events (more like "unlockable through the internet" events) that can give you rare Pokemon and shit like that. Yeah it's pretty rad. Pokémon.

Pocket Monsters. Just when you thought you'd graduated 5th grade... :troll: It took me about 54 hours to complete, and I haven't even done anything post-game. I was trying to catch the whole Unova pokedex though, which added to the playtime considerably. I was pleasantly surprised with the new emphasis on story. The oldies were about as basic as you could get. The addition of companions as rivals was nice.

I agree with you on that. Far too easy. Mainly the gym leaders, who I died against like...one, two times tops? I felt the final confrontation was about right, though.

Yeah...make sure to get your limited edition Eevee evolution by playing a game of brick-breaker on the main site. :puck:

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
Crysis 2. Find it annoying so far. I can take a guy out with a single bullet on the headshot. But if I empty half a clip into his body the fecker keeps coming :casca:. Also enemies sometimes run around in circles during a firefight. Glad i rented this.

deamonsonfire

E2DaP Records
oblivion

ive heard about it for so long i bit the bullet and picked it up. i enjoy how similar to FO it is, but at the same time...im not sure how well im diggin the game yet.

I'm currently playing Saints Row 2! The missions are goofy and irreverent, and dare I say I like game more than Grand Theft Auto! I just wish that the game offered more music choices for the radio, and perhaps a "talk show" similar to Chatterbox in GTA III. I have also ceased calling Wendy's "Wendy's". It is now known as "Freckle Bitch's" :troll: (it's an in-game parody).

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
About to try my luck with getting into the Shin Megami Tensei series.

SMT: Nocturne and SMT: Strange Journey once I win them off of eBay. :carcus:

Other than that, Minecraft! I've built a cove of torch-lit sacrilege! :femto:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Just beat Dragonage 2 inbetween games now playing Dynasty Warriors 7 and Yakuza 4
Did that game ever get a plot? I've heard some very middling things about it.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Picked up a 3DS the other day. Very neat piece of hardware. As mentioned earlier, the AR games are really cool and some of the other included software is neat to play with as well. Really wish I could find some people on the street that have streetpass enabled; these hired goons are never going to save my Mii.

Along with the 3DS I picked up Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. As a tactics genre fan I'm having some fun with it, but so far there hasn't really been anything to dazzle me except for the novelty of it's 3D. I'm only three campaign and two skirmish missions in, so it has a lot of time to throw some new stuff at me.

Top Bottom