What Are You Playing?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Along with the 3DS I picked up Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. As a tactics genre fan I'm having some fun with it, but so far there hasn't really been anything to dazzle me except for the novelty of it's 3D. I'm only three campaign and two skirmish missions in, so it has a lot of time to throw some new stuff at me.

Yeah, from what I've read the game is neat but just doesn't take advantage of that aspect of the console. For more interesting uses we'll have to wait for later titles. That's the downside of buying a system on day one.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Hydorah

VXTpK.jpg

Anyone played Gradius? This freeware title is a tribute inspired by the SHMUP's of yesteryear. It has all the things I love in a good SHMUP. Great music, cool bosses and cheesy voice acting. It is also hard. Unabashedly hard. One hit you're dead, start the section over unless you have a shield power-up. You can earn extra lives, but you can only save 3 times through the campaign. Also, your ship gets downgraded every time you die. And you can die after you beat the boss if you get hit by a stray bullet.

I used all my saves up on my first play-through and I'm essentially stuck. I'm currently trying to perfect the first two levels. Being frugal with your saves is essential if you want to actually beat it.

You can download it here:
http://www.filefront.com/16641169/hydorah.zip

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf5NaSPODtg

turkitage

ターク
oh wow, I completely forgot this game was this close. Just purchased it on steam along with the potato game. Will be playing it tomorrow. It's been a while since I been excited about a game. Maybe I'll pick up some cake tomorrow too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Infinte said:
Well got The Potato Sack on Steam yesterday and what can i say it's games has been keeping me busy :serpico:.
For the past week I've been working hard, along with about 5,000 others, to get Portal 2 released early. http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

Looks like it'll come out at about 2 a.m. EST, which is about .... 8 hours ahead of its scheduled release. Not nearly as soon as we'd hoped. But oh well! GlaDOS makes the rules, not us.

Aphasia

Proj2501 said:
Portal 2 for 360. Will need a co-op buddy. Can I get an amen?

Also playing (and LOVING) Portal 2 for 360. I'm actually stuck right now, so I'm going to hit it again tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes. Is it only local co-op? I'll be your buddy if it's on live. Gamertag:Mastercrocodile

Viral Harvest said:
Waiting ever-patiently for Skyrim. It will be THE game that will consequently make me break up with my girlfriend haha

Skyrim is my dream game, I feel you. You might as well forget about it, It'll make the wait more bearable. :iva:

The solution is to get your girlfriend addicted too. Ka-ching!

Portal 2 is everything I thought it'd be. Solid purchase. (was there ever any doubt?) Yes Aphasia, let's do co-op. :ubik:

On to Mortal Kombat. I waited almost 24 hours to open the game. For people who don't know me. 24 hours not opening a game is like going 2 days without eating. :schierke: So after waiting to see some Metacritic scores and talking to friends, I unwrapped it. Surprise, it's actually fun. The last MK I played was MK2. It handles much better than I thought it would. After having played MvC3 compulsively, it's a nice nice changeof pace.

Portal 2 is the more rewarding, chuckle-inducing, and overall satisfying game. Duh.

Aphasia

Proj2501 said:
Portal 2 is everything I thought it'd be. Solid purchase. (was there ever any doubt?) Yes Aphasia, let's do co-op. :ubik:

On to Mortal Kombat. I waited almost 24 hours to open the game. For people who don't know me. 24 hours not opening a game is like going 2 days without eating. :schierke: So after waiting to see some Metacritic scores and talking to friends, I unwrapped it. Surprise, it's actually fun. The last MK I played was MK2. It handles much better than I thought it would. After having played MvC3 compulsively, it's a nice nice changeof pace.

Portal 2 is the more rewarding, chuckle-inducing, and overall satisfying game. Duh.

Let's do it. I'd like to beat the game first though, I've heard the co-op contains spoilers. What's your tag? :serpico:

I'm pleasantly surprised by the difficulty. It's harder than the original. Very clever, I've been stumped a few times. Some solutions seem less obvious, too. I like it. Makes you feel awesome when you finally figure it out. The writing is great, especially Glados and Wheatley.

@Proj

Your avatar makes me smile every time I see it. I can just see the bot quivering as that T-beam moves towards his head. :ganishka: "Good job robots!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
I'm pleasantly surprised by the difficulty. It's harder than the original. Very clever, I've been stumped a few times. Some solutions seem less obvious, too. I like it. Makes you feel awesome when you finally figure it out. The writing is great, especially Glados and Wheatley.
I'm toward the very end, and in my opinion, it only gets tough in the last quarter of the game. I breezed through most of the puzzles, and found them too easy. But these last few.... man. I'm currently alt-tabbed out of the game because im just plain stuck.

Aphasia

Walter said:
I'm toward the very end, and in my opinion, it only gets tough in the last quarter of the game. I breezed through most of the puzzles, and found them too easy. But these last few.... man. I'm currently alt-tabbed out of the game because im just plain stuck.

That sounds brutal. Most of the puzzles have been pretty simple so far. I think the longest I've been stumped is 15-20 minutes.

I just finished one of the blue goo rooms, and it sent me up on a platform. There are several very tall pillars in a wide open spherical cavern, and a catwalk at the top. I'm obviously supposed to get on the catwalk but I haven't figured out how yet. :puck: Need...determination! Must...not...google...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished Portal 2. My total playtime was:
8.4 hrs.
A very decent length. Great game, not amazing. Liked the ending, loved the "lunacy" stuff!

The whole time I played the game, all I could think of was: "Man, Episode 3 is going to be PHENOMENAL." Every time something amazing happened in Portal 2, and there are lots of huge setpieces in that game, the potential for Episode 3 just loomed even larger for me.

Walter said:
Did that game ever get a plot? I've heard some very middling things about it.

No it didn't =( sorry replying so late had allot happen. Its basically do this and do that and youhave no real direction you have to do it to progress in the game but its really lame. All the quests I felt like "why am I doing this?"

The blight gave you purpose this game has no purpose. Story wise it isn't bad I just wish it had a bigger overall plot then just doing tasks. Combat I feel is way better and faster but felt like a beat em up which I liked. Lot's of quests to do I ran into a glitch where some side qests just wouldn't work but it was not game breaking.

This game I would rate 7.5 out of 10. Story was not there but game play was (IMO) content that was released with the game is alittle forgetable. The blackmarket is not worth it but I goth both for free.

Aphasia

Just beat Portal 2. I'm a little more enthusiastic than Walter on this one. I'd say it's easily one of the most impressive titles I've had the pleasure of playing. Just a beautiful trip.

As for the ending, I think i was grinning ear to ear for an hour afterward.

Walter said:
The whole time I played the game, all I could think of was: "Man, Episode 3 is going to be PHENOMENAL." Every time something amazing happened in Portal 2, and there are lots of huge setpieces in that game, the potential for Episode 3 just loomed even larger for me.

See, I kind of felt the opposite. This was the ultimate valve game for me.:magni:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Aphasia said:
This was the ultimate valve game for me.:magni:
Prepare for Walter's wrath!

i haven't played Portal 2 all the way, I've only got part way through at my friends house. 'twas a good time! :ubik:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Currently play Dynasty Wariors 7 and Mortal Combat, which btw has surpassed all my expectations. The story mode is really great and they brought back the krypt which I loved from deadly alliance. Seriously having a blast with MK.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Currently play Dynasty Wariors 7 and Mortal Combat, which btw has surpassed all my expectations. The story mode is really great and they brought back the krypt which I loved from deadly alliance. Seriously having a blast with MK.
Kombat with a K! And yeah, I was surprised to see that it does look very excellent. I watched the Giant Bomb tournament last night and got psyched for the game. http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb/b/284272992

Just finished Portal 2. Really, really loved it. It's chock full of so many great moments. Only one puzzle had me scratching my head for some time.
The one with a bunch of yellow pipes, an air duct and white paint.
I tried what turned out to be the solution at first, then wound up spending an hour trying a million different other things, only to find out I was originally placing my portal too far to the right. :mozgus:
Looking forward to completing the co-op. Thanks Valve. :ubik:

I'm at 99% in story mode in Mortal Kombat. Fucking Shao Kahn! Have to practice my Raiden combos.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm stuck at the same point in MK. I can't fucking beat kahn with Raiden to save my life. I kicked his ass before but he's much more difficult with Raiden for some reason.

Top Bottom