What Are You Playing?

Bought Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon few days ago,haven't completed it (kinda trying to stretch it as long as I can) ,pretty fun game,love the dialogues and music and damn cutscenes :D . Nosalgia ... also RE Revelations demo for Xbox/PS3/PC got released today and tried it on Xbox ,seemed like fun ,but I tried speed run on Infernal difficulty-4mins :D . Guess I will buy full game,seems like this is worth the money.

Death May Die said:
I've played all the silent hill games. To tell you the truth. Although 1-3 are excellent. I recommend playing them all. Even SH: Homecoming and SH: Down Pour. They are pretty good despite what you might of heard with reviews. A lot of people were aggravated that the controls and battle system are bad. I call bs on that. If you survived SH1 and SH2 you can live what these later installments have to offer. Silent Hills battle system style hardly changes. Usually the biggest difference is if how much you can keep in your inventory, whether or not your weapons deteriorate with use, and whether or not you have a inventory at all. Homecoming and Down Pour are unique and certainly have great moments. SH2 may of done the best job from start to finish, but that doesn't mean these later games are a disaster. Even SH: Origins is a great game. The only one I think is hardly worth your time is SH4, and there is a lot of people who like it for some reason. My personal favorite SH is the third one.

Hanma_Baki said:
I´ve probably fan boy'd enough over the SH franchise on this site already but as long as we´re still at it...

I practically agree on everything here. My fave is the second, gawd I was obsessed with it for a whole year or so. The Room is my least favorite too, it really shows how much of an unfinished product it is, honestly it has a lot of cool ideas and concepts, only its all mashed together in such a rushed and clumsy way.

You totally forgot to mention Shattered Memories :carcus: Even though the controls may not be the best I believe a classic SH fan "should" appreciate the story and the refreshing new system despite being somewhat limited. Sure there was some (seemingly) pointless stuff like those collectibles, but it had a core, a truly original and eerie atmosphere which made it a successful "alternate approach" of the first game. Plus it had me in tears cause of Yamaoka´s last run as sound/music director.

You guys might be interested in this. Twin Perfect, the guys behind the The Real Silent Hill Experience series of videos, finally released a review of Downpour.

ETA: It's probably obvious from the fact it's a review, but the link contains a bunch of spoilers. So if you plan on playing Downpour don't watch it.

Was just given Metro: 2033 by a friend. I think im about halfway through it and its getting pretty good. Dark, but good.

frankencowx said:
You thought wrong. Asscreed will never die.
Aww. I liked 1 and 2. After that they went stupid though I can agree.

My friend lent me his PSP since I broke screen of mine some time ago and also he gave me 3rd Birthday with it and holly-molly it's frickin good :ubik:

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Just finished Bioshock Infinite last night. The first game couldn't hold my interest too well, but I loved the shit out of this game. Dare I say that a wildly fictional game like Infinite does more for capturing American history (through extreme symbolism) than something more 'realistic' like Assassin's Creed III? That statement seems absurd when I read it over, but that's the impression it's left on me.

Lukis said:
My friend lent me his PSP since I broke screen of mine some time ago and also he gave me 3rd Birthday with it and holly-molly it's frickin good :ubik:

PSP has all sorts of gems. Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday, Birth By Sleep... it blows my mind that Square didn't release these games on a major console.

Viral Harvest said:
Just finished Bioshock Infinite last night. The first game couldn't hold my interest too well, but I loved the shit out of this game. Dare I say that a wildly fictional game like Infinite does more for capturing American history (through extreme symbolism) than something more 'realistic' like Assassin's Creed III? That statement seems absurd when I read it over, but that's the impression it's left on me.

Yeah, I didn't want to leave Columbia either. I wish that game would of kept going and going.

I took advice from other members. I downloaded steam and enjoying I'm Age of Empires 2 (HD) with some texture mod upgrades. There is some great taunt packs. I did a 14 hours straight battle with my roommate online. I was having dreams of the game that night afterwards. :serpico: I also just installed the original Fallout. So far I'm enjoying it. I'm trying to master the gameplay system.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Recently got into Final Fantasy XI. Not sure if I have the time or commitment to stick with it (not to mention my gratuitous game backlog). It's been fun so far, and the friendly community is a nice change of pace from the dregs of XBL.

Bought Final Fantasy IV for my android :ubik: ,graphics seems a bit more pixelated compared to android version of FF III 3D but oh well,voice acting etc and I'm having a blast

Also bought State of Decoy today ,it has minor technical problems but nothing that will make you put your gamepad down. Fantastic resource and ''friends'' system,open world and a ton of stuff to.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
Bought Final Fantasy IV for my android :ubik:
I really enjoyed that version on the DS. Voice acting and the in-game cinematics are often very effective, to my surprise. There are also a few added scenes that weren't in the original that add depth to the characters further in.

Walter said:
I really enjoyed that version on the DS. Voice acting and the in-game cinematics are often very effective, to my surprise. There are also a few added scenes that weren't in the original that add depth to the characters further in.
Since I haven't played DS version,I probably wont know which scenes were added,but yeah voice acting is pretty nice,though I often try not to look at their mouths when they're talking,that lip sync sometimes,otherwise it's really good so far, since I finished Chrono Trigger( and two times,making different choices in 2nd), I was pretty lonely in longer trips. Though that price might have been a little lower,in my countries play store it was 9.95ls(rougly 20$) which is how much State of Decay cost :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
Since I haven't played DS version,I probably wont know which scenes were added,but yeah voice acting is pretty nice
By original I meant the SNES. The DS version is supposedly the same as the one being ported to mobile phones, higher resolution aside.

I recently went back to my copy of Demon Souls that I've had for a couple years now, because I wanted to finish it before I went into Dark Souls. And I must say that the game was great! But it had the most anticlimatic last boss and ending I've ever seen. I know the Souls games are more about the journey and the lore of the world and less about the final destination but my god, I didn't feel like I accomplished anything. I couldn't believe that was the end. :???:

I'm still gonna purchase Dark Souls though, because I know it's a lot better than Demon Souls. But it has an anticlimatic ending too.. I just wanna feel like I accomplished something.. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maxwell said:
I'm still gonna purchase Dark Souls though, because I know it's a lot better than Demon Souls. But it has an anticlimatic ending too.. I just wanna feel like I accomplished something.. :judo:
The alternate ending
(Kaathe's path)
to Dark Souls is pretty climactic, I think.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Played the Resudent evil Revelations Demo on the PS3. I beat it on the 3DS, just wanted to see how it was. I still prefer to play it on the 3DS, it's just that the controls are better suited . But if you don't have a 3DS go for it.

Found a Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2 that got me back into it. Im not sure how good an idea that was though because I also just started a summer internship. Damn the Paradox!

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Got the Devil May Cry HD collection for PS3 and started playing the first one. I can't believe I beat the game on PS2, the cameras in that game are atrocious.

Donkey Kong Country Returns on 3DS is.. really good. I had seen the Wii version but never got to play it. You trade no shitty motion controls for half the fps on the 3DS version though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Donkey Kong Country Returns on 3DS is.. really good. I had seen the Wii version but never got to play it. You trade no shitty motion controls for half the fps on the 3DS version though.
Tempted to get it based on the great feedback, but I've never been a fan of the series.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
frankencowx said:

Played that game a ton on SNES. Definitely a classic.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
As the seven time Donkey Kong Champion (an Olympics-like DKC1 and 2 contest dating back to the competition cart and which I've engaged in since I was 10 :carcus:), I feel it is my duty to weigh in on Donkey Kong Country Returns (shouldn't it be Return to Donkey Country, or was DKC briefly renamed by King K. Rool before he was displaced?), which I couldn't get into on Wii due to the controls.

Anyway... it's pretty good. It's hard too, I'm playing on original mode so no extra help and sometimes it gets annoying (I can only imagine the last two worlds). Each level seems to have something special about it or something visually impressive that happens, and I can see why they ported it to the 3DS because it feels like it was made for it with the Shantae/Mutant Mudds style foreground and background hopping.

My main complaint is somewhat tied to the difficulty, but not exactly. It just doesn't flow like the old DKC games. Those games, and particularly the levels, had a rhythm you could get into. They were designed to be run through, and if you knew how you could with relative ease. While you can try that here, that natural rhythm and flow is lacking and it's more likely to get you killed than take you on a satisfying ride.

That goes for the controls as well, running, jumping, and attacking doesn't feel as fluid or easy as it did in old DKC. You also don't really get to play as Diddy, though there's a slight variation in the control set with him. Sure, maybe it's just that I've played the old games a million times, but I don't think so. Donkey Kong Country was set up to have you swing from a vine onto an enemy you kill and bounce off and on to the next vine, whereas Donkey Kong Kong Returns more often delivers you just in front of the enemy for its convenience instead. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
My main complaint is somewhat tied to the difficulty, but not exactly. It just doesn't flow like the old DKC games. Those games, and particularly the levels, had a rhythm you could get into. They were designed to be run through, and if you knew how you could with relative ease. While you can try that here, that natural rhythm and flow is lacking and it's more likely to get you killed than take you on a satisfying ride.

That goes for the controls as well, running, jumping, and attacking doesn't feel as fluid or easy as it did in old DKC. You also don't really get to play as Diddy, though there's a slight variation in the control set with him. Sure, maybe it's just that I've played the old games a million times, but I don't think so. Donkey Kong Country was set up to have you swing from a vine onto an enemy you kill and bounce off and on to the next vine, whereas Donkey Kong Kong Returns more often delivers you just in front of the enemy for its convenience instead. =)

Completely agree with that, which is why I haven't finished the game yet. And although I absolutely loved DKC, I haven't replayed it since I beat it back in the day (same goes for the sequels), so it's not just a matter of you being too used to the original.

Griffith said:
Anyway... it's pretty good. It's hard too, I'm playing on original mode so no extra help and sometimes it gets annoying (I can only imagine the last two worlds).

Yeah the game is annoyingly difficult. With the exception of the first few levels, I don't think I've ever beat a level without dying. Each level I have to employ lame trial and error play where I figure out what obstacle or jump is going to kill me next.

Top Bottom