What Are You Playing?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Completely agree with that, which is why I haven't finished the game yet. And although I absolutely loved DKC, I haven't replayed it since I beat it back in the day (same goes for the sequels), so it's not just a matter of you being too used to the original.

Yeah, it's well-designed side-scrolling in its own right, but it's not exactly the return to form the title suggests. In DKC even the hard levels you'd be best served to take your time with could be rushed once you got the hang of them. Actually, it was frequently the case that moving slow and methodically would be to your detriment. Maybe someone that wasn't such a fan of the original like Walter would appreciate this incarnation more. It's like the Dark Souls of Donkey Kong Country games! :iva:

frankencowx said:
Yeah the game is annoyingly difficult. With the exception of the first few levels, I don't think I've ever beat a level without dying. Each level I have to employ lame trial and error play where I figure out what obstacle or jump is going to kill me next.

Even the first level is relatively long and has a lot more stop and go action than I'm used to in my DKC. What you say about trial and error and pattern memorization rings true as well. DKCR's design is actually more like Mega Man levels in practice (particularly the latest incarnations), except you can only get hit 4 times and you don't have buster. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Holy shit, I cannot stop playing Path of Exile. It is what Diablo 3 should have been... Installed it earlier today and once I put the kid to bed, the next thing I know I've logged 4 hours straight. Incredibly addictive, and scratches all the right itches that made Diablo 2 special.

It is free: http://www.pathofexile.com/

Yeah I have been playing PoE as well. What character class did you choose Walter? The game is really fun for me as well. I can't spend that much time currently because of work but I am hoping for this to change soon. Unfortunately a good friend of mine is at a really high level and he is telling me that there are some really frustrating issues with the game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
Yeah I have been playing PoE as well. What character class did you choose Walter? The game is really fun for me as well. I can't spend that much time currently because of work but I am hoping for this to change soon.
Duelist, specializing in ranged (which I never do, but I got a killer bow, so I've been putting points into that for now. Will ultimately probably dual wield with a good ranged as a backup.

Unfortunately a good friend of mine is at a really high level and he is telling me that there are some really frustrating issues with the game.
Well, it is still in open beta. I'd imagine the earlier zones are more balanced than the later stuff. I've had zero issues with the game so far. Level 15 right now, at the end of Act 1.

Walter said:
Duelist, specializing in ranged (which I never do, but I got a killer bow, so I've been putting points into that for now. Will ultimately probably dual wield with a good ranged as a backup.
Nice choice, i chose a Marauder as my starting class. Watch out for the next patch, melee is going to be totally reworked because the latest changes got negative feedback from the community.
Walter said:
Well, it is still in open beta. I'd imagine the earlier zones are more balanced than the later stuff. I've had zero issues with the game so far. Level 15 right now, at the end of Act 1.
There are some desync issues with the latest patches. This can lead to your characters death (plus the 15% exp penalty that comes along) they need to fix this issue. It has happened to me once, but since i am basically at the beginning of the game i don't really mind it.

Path of Exile is cool. It's fun to come back to the game once every few months, since the developers have usually added a ton of new stuff in that time. Like, since the last time I played, there seem to be entirely new leagues, rogue exiles, and some other pretty darn neat-sounding things.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but in the past, the number one consideration for later levels has been to take lots of life nodes on the skill tree. It's very easy to become a glass cannon, and this is not one of those games that is still fun to play when you keep dying constantly.

Joe Chip said:
There are some desync issues with the latest patches. This can lead to your characters death (plus the 15% exp penalty that comes along) they need to fix this issue. It has happened to me once, but since i am basically at the beginning of the game i don't really mind it.
Desync has been a problem for me for a long time, sadly, probably since the open beta. It might be partly my internet connection at fault, but the servers can sometimes be pretty poor.

It doesn't happen TOO often to me, so it's not a deal breaker, but it sucks to have your character demoted from Hardcore to Normal league through no fault of your own.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Final Fantasy VII a week or so ago, and I finished Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII two days ago, so I'm going to start playing Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII as soon as my Memory Stick Pro Duo arrives (I ordered a PSP-3000 the other day, not knowing that the memory card was not only a requisite, but wasn't included with the system itself...fuuuuuuck...).

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Rhombaad said:
I'm going to start playing Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII as soon as my Memory Stick Pro Duo arrives (I ordered a PSP-3000 the other day, not knowing that the memory card was not only a requisite, but wasn't included with the system itself...fuuuuuuck...).

Despite what media says, I enjoyed that game. Granted, it goes into un-wanted places story-wise, you'll end up wanting ro re play FF7 at the ending.

So after all the praises, I gave in and bough The Last of Us. With only 2 hours of playtime, I got sucked in on the first minutes of this game. Truly a masterpiece in the narrative side. I strongly suggest those who own a PS3 to give this one a shot. It could be my favorie PS tittle of this generation.

I have been playing Last of Us the past few days and I have been loving it. Story and characters have been very well written so far and its a very tense game that does an amazing job of making even the regular enemies in it very very frightening and very very capable of murdering you. I also like how, if you have the skills to pay the bills, you can play pretty much however you want.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Which version of Cave Story?

The downloadable version that's on the 3DS eShop.

I think I remember you speaking of it at one point, but I can't remember if it was positive for negative.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Nomad said:
Despite what media says, I enjoyed that game. Granted, it goes into un-wanted places story-wise, you'll end up wanting ro re play FF7 at the ending.

I know reviews for it were generally pretty good, but I always like to play the games and see for myself, so I stayed away from most feedback, both positive and negative.

I'm really liking the gameplay and storyline so far. I spent most of this weekend moving, so I haven't been able to play it as much as I'd like.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
The downloadable version that's on the 3DS eShop.

I think I remember you speaking of it at one point, but I can't remember if it was positive for negative.
It's a fine version, probably the best you can get. We complained about it on the podcast before because it's like the fourth or fifth remake of the same damned game, and it's just become ridiculous at this point. That version came out only a few months after a full-on boxed release for 3DS (click).

Nomad said:
Despite what media says, I enjoyed that game.
I never played it (never owned a PSP), but I remember generally positive buzz after its release, and read a lot of rave reviews. It currently has an 83% metacritic.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
It's a fine version, probably the best you can get. We complained about it on the podcast before because it's like the fourth or fifth remake of the same damned game, and it's just become ridiculous at this point. That version came out only a few months after a full-on boxed release for 3DS (click).

Oh, see, I only paid $9.99. It isn't 3D, either (which I don't care about, honestly). It's super fun so far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Oh, see, I only paid $9.99. It isn't 3D, either (which I don't care about, honestly). It's super fun so far.
Really...? There's a 3D version on the eShop (See, this is what I was talking about...). Just makes the foreground/background elements stand out a little more.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Really...? There's a 3D version on the eShop (See, this is what I was talking about...). Just makes the foreground/background elements stand out a little more.

I'm not 100% positive on that, actually. I saw 3D, but I could have misread.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finally got around to playing Resident Evil 6. I'm more than halfway through. Out of the four campaigns I finished Leon's, Chris', and I'm almost done with Jake's. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. At least gameplay wise. The combat is pretty fun albeit repetitive, which they try to break up with ridiculous boss fights, quicktime events and "run away from the big scary monster" segments. The story is the weakest link though. It's so ridiculous even by Resident Evil standards. But it's still not campy enough to be funny or enjoyable. It's just... boring. Literally almost nothing happens until the end of each campaign and after beating it with one character, you already know whats going to happen since you replay the same thing from someone else's perspective. Basically your chasing Ada Wong through different environments every time. Laaame.

It's kinda sad but during some of the over the top action scenes I was actually thinking "The Wesker fight at the end of 5 was cooler than this".

And oh yea
there's more boulder punching.

^Im impressed you´re beating it with all characters even though its boring. Did you ever try the co-op mode? I´d guess I havent even done 50% of Leons story yet. I didnt really feel like continuing tbh and reading your thoughts doesnt really inspire motivation either. I spent even more time on Mercenaries, dangerously addicting stuff.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Just finished The Last of Us about 15 minutes ago. Mixed feelings on the ending, but now I'm freed up to play SMT4 next week. Beyond psyched to be playing a true sequel and not just a spin-off.

Just finished the last of us and walking dead both very emotionally draining but both very awesome. Will be going back to finish other games now like dishonerd and x com until ff14 comes out

TWD: 400 Days wasbpretty good,it actually made me want to finish main game again,this time making different decisions. Also hooked on FF XIII atm(17h in).,If it wouldnt be too linear and more open ended like FF XII or FFX,game would be a lot better.

Oburi

All praise Grail
About halfway through The Last Of US. It's beautiful in every way a game can be. The only thing I would complain about it is some of the glitchy twerks usually involving friendly AI. Also I'm way past burnt out on the post-apocalyptic setting and "infected" (zombie) enemies. I'll play through to the end though because everything else is just so well done.

Update- I started playing the Rockstar game L.A. Noire and I'm really enjoying it. I'm about halfway through I think. It's similar to GTA only set in 1940's L.A. and you play as the detectives. They did a really great job with the way you can solve murders, look for clues and interrogate people. The technology they used for the facial expressions is fantastic too. Some great performances. I could actually recognize some actors that i had no idea were going to be in the game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
It's similar to GTA only set in 1940's L.A. and you play as the detectives.
:ganishka: Come on, that's so reductive it's absurd. Just about the only thing it has in common at all with GTA is that you can drive a car in it, and Rockstar published it (but did not develop it).

Been playing Shin Megami Tensei IV for 3DS. About 10 hours in. Enjoying it, but not in love. The game really explodes with content around the 8 hour mark, and it's getting more exciting, but the characters and plot are just so interminably dry, it's hard for me to sink my teeth into. It's actually the same thing that kept me from loving Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS...

MEANWHILE IN LORDRAN...

Of course still playing Dark Souls just about every day for at least an hour. Instead of doing a third run with my main guy, I'm continuing along with a GUTS character build, focusing on strength and one-hit kills. So far, pretty impressive build. Main weapon is the Manserpent Greatsword, upgraded to +15 with around 40 str at level 60. Thing does insane damage. And when two-handed + great magic weapon, with Power Within activated... Guts would be so proud. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I started playing Epic Mickey 2 with a friend since the whole game can played co-op. It's actually really fun. I can see how single player can be boring but co-op adds so much more. It's also very nostalgic to me because I love old Disney cartoons and this game loves to sneak little bits from the old movies in there. Lots of Pinocchio, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast and Fantasia (Night on Bald Mountain!) references. Not bad at all.

Also being the crazy Dynasty Warriors fan that I am I noticed the new one, DW 8, got some amazing reviews, especially for a DW game. Not that IGN holds much stock with reviews but they did give it a 8.7 and they usually shit all over these games. So I'll be playing that next.

Top Bottom