What Are You Playing?

Just finished the new DOOM this afternoon; the campaign was excellent. It's been years since I played a FPS and I'm not disappointed at all by this one.
They did something fresh and fun to play, I had a really good time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
Just finished the new DOOM this afternoon; the campaign was excellent. It's been years since I played a FPS and I'm not disappointed at all by this one.
They did something fresh and fun to play, I had a really good time.

Yeah I finished it a few weeks ago and had a great time as well overall. Still haven't had time to check the multiplayer though.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
buttonmasher said:
I played through Final Fantasy XIII this year and I enjoyed it. I don't think it deserves all all the hate it gets. The story and characters were far less cringy than I expected and the battle system was actually really fun to me. It had been a really long time since I played through a JRPG so coming straight off of XII it might be differen experiencet for you.

I don't think it deserves all the hate it gets, either. I've played it before, but never finished it. I enjoyed it then, and I think I'm enjoying it even more now. It's a gorgeous game with a unique plot and a fun battle system.

Walter said:
Which version did you end up playing? I wish that International version would get a wide HD release. I don't give two shits about 10 or 13, but would love to play through that game.

The American PS2 version. I hope the international version gets an HD release, too, just like Final Fantasy X did. I enjoyed Final Fantasy X's game play, but the voice acting was horrible. I was much more pleased with the acting in Final Fantasy XII and XIII.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
The American PS2 version. I hope the international version gets an HD release, too, just like Final Fantasy X did.

Boom: https://twitter.com/JohnnyCullen/status/739745483141316608

Details:

-based on FINAL FANTASY XII INTERNATIONAL ZODIAC JOB SYSTEM
-Background, character model, fonts and all 2D parts are higher resolution
-Movie scenes are higher resolution
-Uses current-gen graphics tech
-7.1 surround sound
-higher quality audio
-Japanese and English voice
-Option between original BGM and newly recorded BGM
-shorter loading time
-auto-save feature
-turbo mode

Between this and Last Guardian, I might just get a PS4 if there's a price drop in the next 6 months (pretty likely given the climate of things).

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I didn't particularly like XII when it first dropped (hipster FF ego was in full force), but a few years ago I did another play through and realized that it was a great title and very fun game. I'll definitely be picking this up, especially since it's the international version, which, like many others, I never got to experience.

That's cool, I really like XII. Finished it more than once and even got the steelbook thing on Ebay. I'm just gonna wait for the PC version, though.

Speaking of PC versions, I bought FFIX's PC remaster and although I haven't played much, I'm disappointed that it doesn't support full analog, only 8 directions movement. And apparently the music is lower quality, and it's missing some sound effects. Even so, can't wait to replay it, it's my favorite.

Paopu Milkshake said:
I'm still playing a lot of Street Fighter V but also picked up Pokken Tournament.

you play SF? we should play together. My CFI is GiantswordMufasa Glad to see another SF player on SK!

Love your Vulcan Raven quote! "Vulcan Raven, giant in shaman"

Have you guys tried Overwatch? I want to quit League but no game can replace it for me I'm too obssesed. Lately I've been playing Undertale too which is really fun.

luizao said:
Have you guys tried Overwatch? I want to quit League but no game can replace it for me I'm too obssesed. Lately I've been playing Undertale too which is really fun.

Yeah I play a little Overwatch. Its more of a social game for me, all my friends play it, I only got it because I had a few GS gift cards laying around, Its a lot like team fortress. Its ok, Im not crazy about the art style but its pretty fun. Very very team based. so if your team doesn't work together its a hard go.

GiantSword Mufasa said:
Yeah I play a little Overwatch. Its more of a social game for me, all my friends play it, I only got it because I had a few GS gift cards laying around, Its a lot like team fortress. Its ok, Im not crazy about the art style but its pretty fun. Very very team based. so if your team doesn't work together its a hard go.

Well I like team based games and this game seems to be like the Super Smash Bros of FPS. Now I only have to convince my friends to buy it :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I just played through Edge of Nowhere by Insomniac Games (for the Oculus Rift) in one sitting. It's a short game, I was done in under 4 hours, but it's got AAA production value and I had a good time. It's basically H.P. Lovecraft: The Game. Probably not quite as cool as Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem was in 2002, but I figure someone unaccustomed to this kind of story would likely not forget this experience.

Finished off Demon's Souls finally. Absolutely adored it. Latria and that eerie music that plays in the Nexus after you beat 3 archdemons will haunt me for a long, long time (and I love it). I'll definitely be replaying it again sometime soon. Gonna miss the Maiden in Black sigh.

Still playing Fallout 4 off and on.

Started playing Dark Souls 1 on PC. Was terribly annoyed at the port issues but I seemed to have fixed them for the most part. I only played past what I assume was more or less the tutorial, but holy shit the game is beautiful.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Yeah, Demon Souls is imo the best and of course ( original ) souls game. My favorite worlds are Boletaria palace ( for the knight-dragon fantasy theme ) and Shrine of Storms cause of badass katana skeletons.

Currently playing DS3, doing a General Boscoigne build with black iron armour and a glaive. Ocassionally playing Icewind Dale enhanced edition too.

I've wanted to play Gone Home since I saw you guys talking about it. So I was really excited when they gave it away for free for PS Plus members. I thought the game was absolutely fantastic even though through most of it I was nervous because I thought
Sam had killed herself in the attic because her initial note on the front door had a tone of finality to it.
I really enjoyed how the developers slowly formed the family's' stories indirectly (
especially the father's struggles.
). I wish the mother's story had been fleshed out more though. All in all I thought it was a fantastic game. I'd definitely play more games like it.

Feeblecursedone said:
Yeah, Demon Souls is imo the best and of course ( original ) souls game. My favorite worlds are Boletaria palace ( for the knight-dragon fantasy theme ) and Shrine of Storms cause of badass katana skeletons.

Boletaria and Shrine of Storms were both pretty kick ass. I had a lot of fun in both those places. Only place I wasn't especially impressed (in comparison anyways, I still like it) with was the Valley of Defilement. Wasn't hard, just annoying. But it had one of the best end boss fights atmosphere wise in the game.

Personally so far, while I really love Dark Souls a lot, I enjoy Demon's Souls a lot more. Felt a lot more fluid and reasonable to me. I think I'm nearing the halfway point roughly of Dark Souls though. So my opinion could change.

I've also been playing the first Silent Hill game with a friend. He apparently wants to see the whole series and I'm an absurdly huge fan of the series, so this is a pretty good deal. There will be many, many hours of reminding myself why Konami can burn in hell. Yay!

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Boletaria and Shrine of Storms were both pretty kick ass. I had a lot of fun in both those places. Only place I wasn't especially impressed (in comparison anyways, I still like it) with was the Valley of Defilement. Wasn't hard, just annoying. But it had one of the best end boss fights atmosphere wise in the game.

Valley of Defiliment's atmosphere is second only to Tower of Latria in my opinion. I like how the environment there poses more of a challenge than enemies themselves, and I like how they balanced it out by giving weaker bossess. Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland fight were really epic. The OST, the feels and all.

Personally so far, while I really love Dark Souls a lot, I enjoy Demon's Souls a lot more. Felt a lot more fluid and reasonable to me. I think I'm nearing the halfway point roughly of Dark Souls though. So my opinion could change.

Agreed. Nothing can replace Demon Souls to me. It was an original souls game and it laid foundations for next souls titles. Slayer of Demons even sounds cooler than Chosen Undead.

I've also been playing the first Silent Hill game with a friend. He apparently wants to see the whole series and I'm an absurdly huge fan of the series, so this is a pretty good deal. There will be many, many hours of reminding myself why Konami can burn in hell. Yay

I think i played only one SH game, but yeah what happened to PT and Kojima... yeah, Konami sucks.

Currently im waiting for Fallout 4 Nuka World DLC and then Dark Souls 3 DLC. I also plan to get Nioh ( although it shoul be caleld Niou ) , Dishonoued 2 and Pokemon Sun for this year.

Currently almost exclusively playing World of Warships. It's the first good 20th century setting multiplayer naval game in YEARS, and I am enjoying the hell out of it. I'm a real lover of history, so getting to play the Iowa, Nagato, and even the mighty Yamato is a treat every time. It's a different experience from any other multiplayer vehicle combat game I have ever played, even World of Tanks plays pretty different. Most matches are 12 vs 12, each time is a mixture of battleships, cruisers, destroyers, and sometimes aircraft carriers. The first couple minutes are generally about everyone trying to maneuver into position and you won't even see an enemy ship. Then once contact is made, all hell can break loose. Battleships tanking damage left and right and dishing out pain with massive armor piercing shells, cruisers trying to set everything on fire with high explosive shells, destroyers sneaking around to deploy waves of torpedoes, etc... Sometimes it's frustrating, but unless matchmaking really screws you over, you will always be able to do something of value in a match and have some fun. And then there are those moments you live for, when you get on an unstoppable streak of destruction and leave multiple sinking ships in your wake...

I'm mostly playing American and Japanese cruisers, battleships, and destroyers. Can't wait for the German Battleship line to get released in a month or two! The Bismark will be mine!

I'm currently finishing up the new dlc released for Star Wars Battlefront. It takes place on Cloud City/Bespin. It's a blast being in the middle of a dogfight above and in the clouds of a gas giant.

Outside of that, I played the platinum demo for FFXV. I am not too familiar with the series as a whole. I have only played FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII. But I have often dreamt of a Final Fantasy game that takes place in a modern world similar to ours. A world with cars and airplanes and skyscrapers and a man wearing a business suit slaying monsters with a giant sword and someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt casting spells. The gods have rewarded me in the form of FFXV.

The game looks gorgeous. The battle system is streamlined and fun. There are some truly massive monsters in the game. Think Shadow of the Colossus massive. The mechanics of the game are insane. The time of day changes. The weather changes. And the environment affects combat. For example, a thunder spell is more effective when it's raining. And a fire spell can catch grass on fire. And a blizzard spell can freeze any nearby water.

I'm excited about this game. I hope it lives up to my expectations. And I hope it has a great story and world to match the graphics and mechanics.

Beat Demon Soul's again since I started a game at my friends. Nothing more to say than I already did above other than I just love it more.

Still playing Dark Souls, probably 3/4 the way now. Need a break from the series for a little bit though. It's not the hardest thing in the world but feeling constantly tense and on edge due to the large amount of 'fuck you' in the game isn't always pleasant. But also one of the best things about it hah.

Bought and started RWBY: Grimm Eclipse and Elder Scrolls Online since they were on sale on Steam. Haven't been able to play much of either.

RWBY is pretty fun though still early access. Not expecting a world of depth but just silly fun. Haven't tried it online though. I just wanted to fuck shit up with a sniper rifle scythe (pretty much the best fantasy weapon of all time). Worth it.

Elder Scrolls Online seems like it'll pretty much ruin my life for a while. Only played a chunk of the tutorial but I think I'm gonna love this.

Top Bottom