What Are You Playing?

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Skeleton said:
I had a lot of fun with the Nioh beta. They weren't very creative when it came to the monsters, but the game was pretty solid overall. I just wish they had given us a bit more of the game's story. I felt like there wasn't enough to sink its hooks into me.

I so badly wanted to have fun with Nioh (both the alpha and beta) but I just couldn't get into the combat. I felt it was also far too punishing and difficult, and I say that as a Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden Black fan. I think I may be losing my patience with new difficult games though.

Skeleton said:
I had a lot of fun with the Nioh beta. They weren't very creative when it came to the monsters, but the game was pretty solid overall. I just wish they had given us a bit more of the game's story. I felt like there wasn't enough to sink its hooks into me.
haven't played the beta but i remember awhile back they had a demo and something that was really annoying was the way stamina works. after you loose all your stamina you can't move at all, is that still a thing? maybe you just have to be really good at stamina management
Skeleton said:
PS Plus is offering two games for free right now: Journey and Lords of the Fallen. I hadn't heard of either one of them. Journey was fucking amazing. And Lords of the Fallen is a heavily flawed Dark Souls clone. I'm enjoying LotF though. The writing/world building is absolutely terrible and pretty unoriginal, but there are elements I really like. The main character, for example.
Journey is amazing, has one of the best soundtracks out there and yeah lords of the fallen wasn't that fun, its a discount souls game with boring ass bosses

Delta Phi said:
I so badly wanted to have fun with Nioh (both the alpha and beta) but I just couldn't get into the combat. I felt it was also far too punishing and difficult, and I say that as a Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden Black fan. I think I may be losing my patience with new difficult games though.

I hear you. I didn't find the game particularly difficult (there are only three types of enemy move sets, if you think about it), but there were a handful of parts that tried to make up for that by increasing the difficulty in a cheap way. For example, putting you in a small area against a large/powerful enemy that has a large, spread out area of attack. I'm not a big fan of that.

Anyways, they revealed a new area of the game during some show. It looks like more of the same. My biggest fear is that the game will either have a horrible story/world or that there wont be one altogether. The new footage doesn't make me feel any better.

Kaladin said:
haven't played the beta but i remember awhile back they had a demo and something that was really annoying was the way stamina works. after you loose all your stamina you can't move at all, is that still a thing? maybe you just have to be really good at stamina management

Haha, yeah, that's still there. They must've nerfed it though because I never really had stamina problems. But I did notice that if you didn't get one of the stats to lvl11 (the one that powers up your spirit animal) the game was noticeably more difficult, specifically when it came to the bosses. In fact, if you got that one stat to 11 it didn't really matter where you put the rest of your points.

That's something I noticed both Nioh and Lords of the Fallen have in common. Most of the stats are completely pointless.

Kaladin said:
Journey is amazing, has one of the best soundtracks out there

Agreed. One aspect that blew me away was the buddy system the game had. If I remember correctly, the creators wanted to remove anything that could create a bias towards the other player, and they designed the game to emphasis sticking together, so that you would sincerely care about the other player. And with me it totally worked.

And I love how they
show you who you played with at the end of the game
as sort of a challenge to look at your own bias.

Kaladin said:
yeah lords of the fallen wasn't that fun, its a discount souls game with boring ass bosses

Agreed. Superficially a part of the game reminds me of Eternal Darkness (where you have three different types of magic colored red/blue/green, each game you have to choose a new magic, and the Lovecraftian-ish world), so the eternally optimistic part of me is hoping that like Eternal Darkness playing the game three times will unlock the true ending to the game, an ending so good it'll make the whole game worthwhile. I know it doesn't exist, but it might!

N7Paladin said:
I was roped back into playing WoW with some friends and co-workers after Legion dropped even though I swore off the game a few years ago. :judo:

What do you think of Legion? It's funny because Legion contains literally everything that was on my wish list when I played the game (the return of the demons, the return of Illidan and his dignity, Maiev and hopefully a proper conclusion for her, demon hunters as a playable class, the broken isles). If this had been the expansion following WotLK I would've gone crazy with joy. But I haven't played WoW since WotLK wrapped up the story in my eyes, and I have no interest in returning to it. But I hope Legion ends up being awesome. (And doesn't screw over Illidan again.)

Skeleton said:
What do you think of Legion? It's funny because Legion contains literally everything that was on my wish list when I played the game (the return of the demons, the return of Illidan and his dignity, Maiev and hopefully a proper conclusion for her, demon hunters as a playable class, the broken isles). If this had been the expansion following WotLK I would've gone crazy with joy. But I haven't played WoW since WotLK wrapped up the story in my eyes, and I have no interest in returning to it. But I hope Legion ends up being awesome. (And doesn't screw over Illidan again.)

I hadn't touched the game since WotLK either, so this is all quite a bit different now. I've only got a level 40 right now, the leveling feels a lot faster. I do have a free level 100 boost for any character that starts you on the Legion part, haven't touched it. I'm enjoying it so far though, but I'll need a lot more time to figure out what's all in Legion.

Skeleton said:

It's really good. The best expansion so far, and by a wide margin. Blizzard's got many things right this time. If you could spare the time, I would highly recommend.

N7Paladin said:
I hadn't touched the game since WotLK either, so this is all quite a bit different now. I've only got a level 40 right now, the leveling feels a lot faster. I do have a free level 100 boost for any character that starts you on the Legion part, haven't touched it. I'm enjoying it so far though, but I'll need a lot more time to figure out what's all in Legion.

zrexe said:
It's really good. The best expansion so far, and by a wide margin. Blizzard's got many things right this time. If you could spare the time, I would highly recommend.

It's good to see you guys are enjoying the game. Unfortunately my computer kicked the bucket earlier this year so I couldn't play it even if I wanted to, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Legion's story. Let's make Illidan great again!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
After finishing the main game years ago I finally played Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea and holy shit, I had heard the ending brought things full circle but I didn't know it was that big and comprehensive a circle.

I've been playing Ark:survival evolved on my xbox 1. Its a fun game regardless of what people say about the developers. Although it's a real grind. It's very time consuming to get a base up and running.

Griffith said:
After finishing the main game years ago I finally played Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea and holy shit, I had heard the ending brought things full circle but I didn't know it was that big and comprehensive a circle.

it was amazing.

Skeleton said:
the eternally optimistic part of me is hoping that like Eternal Darkness playing the game three times will unlock the true ending to the game, an ending so good it'll make the whole game worthwhile. I know it doesn't exist, but it might!

Oh you poor, naive, beautiful fool. For everyone who has been waiting on the edge of their seats to find out if there's a secret ending, there's not. In fact NG++ is pretty much pointless altogether. There's nothing in it you couldn't get in NG+. In fact, I'd even argue NG+ is pointless as well.

Anyway so not only was there not a secret ending, but after you beat NG++ you can't even start a new game with your character again. I would say that's stupid, but why would you want to play it again? I'm being completely honest here: This is the first game I've ever played in my life where I finished the entire game and sincerely felt like I had wasted my time playing it.

All in all, the game was free, and I'd say it wasn't worth the price.

Speaking of free, PS Plus members can now download the Resident Evil remake/HD version for free. The REmake is, in my opinion, the best RE game ever made. And one of the best horror games ever made. So I'll be playing that after I finish downloading Neverwinter.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Any Paper Mario fans here? Just picked up Color Splash for the Wii U. I loved the Sticker Star for the 3DS, but that one got a lot of backlash from fans. This one has been getting the same bad rep even before it was released. I'm excited to play it either way.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DANGERDOOOOM said:
Any Paper Mario fans here? Just picked up Color Splash for the Wii U. I loved the Sticker Star for the 3DS, but that one got a lot of backlash from fans. This one has been getting the same bad rep even before it was released. I'm excited to play it either way.

I absolutely hated Sticker Star, and I've heard exclusively bad things about the combat system in this one so.... that's too bad.

That being said, I was always a bigger fan of Super Mario RPG and the Mario&Luigi series than the Paper Mario games.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Walter said:
I absolutely hated Sticker Star, and I've heard exclusively bad things about the combat system in this one so.... that's too bad.

That being said, I was always a bigger fan of Super Mario RPG and the Mario&Luigi series than the Paper Mario games.

This game heavily enforces the use of the Wii U touch pad for combat. Instead of stickers you now have cards, and you need to select the card with the touch pad, color it, swipe it towards the television, then you start the combat. It's interesting, but I understand how tedious something like this can get after a while.

Coloring things are fun though :serpico:

I finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided weeks ago and I gotta say that while I enjoyed it a lot, I felt it was too short. For some reason I thought it was the game that will wrap the story up. Apparently not (unless they do that in the DLCs). Still, great experience. Looking forward to more.

I decided to jump back to Fallout 4 for a second play through (this time with the DLCs if they're worth it). Not many games let you roam a post-apocalyptic wasteland dressed up as a comic-book hero or a baseball player, with a snarky robot butler that has an English accent (and is programmed to say your name even if its Mr F***Face for example), while blowing brains out with teddy-bear shooting bazookas, as classical music or 50's songs play in the background. :ganishka: So yeah, it's been fun.

Griffith said:

I recently played that for the first time too. My mind was blown with that ending.

Delta Phi said:

I don't think it's just you, man. Ni-Oh frustrated the crap out of me too (and I'm a guy who's obsessed with the brutal and abusive Bloodborne). :mozgus:

I'm honestly doubting whether or not I'm getting Ni-Oh at release.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lawliet said:
I finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided weeks ago and I gotta say that while I enjoyed it a lot, I felt it was too short.

Same here. I thought I was mid-game. Very disappointing. Whoever produced this should get flogged.

Griffith

Kaladin said:
it was amazing.
Lawliet said:
I recently played that for the first time too. My mind was blown with that ending.

I wasn't sure how they were going to follow up the ending of Infinite (without ruining it), and the seemingly arbitrary return to Rapture made it seem like unnecessary fan service from the start but it ends up doing it so well that it pretty much transcends such concerns ("I hope Fontaine makes a cameo" lol). The second part makes the game and whole series better and is BASICALLY a clinic on how to do an add on/capper like this (doesn't help my DS3 DLC expectations =). I liked the first part for what it is too, and the whole thing is so goddamn bittersweet. Anyway, yeah, an ambitious, yet treacherous, idea (it could have really been embarrassing) that they couldn't have pulled off much better.

Howdy, first time posting and just glad to be here. Anyone else on Mafia 3? I feel somewhat let down but can't stop sneaking up on mobsters and stabbing them :/

Griffith

Currently lost in Ariandel! Fired up DSIII in earnest for the first time in months
, went to where the key NPC was supposed to be even though I'd heard they may be gone late game (they were there!),
and away I went in no time. I can tell it'd be pretty tough if my guy wasn't so overpowered (I think I was ready to start New Game +3 when I stopped =), so I'm making it more interesting by using only weapons and armor found in the DLC, but I can still upgrade them to the point it doesn't much matter (I'm 40/40 str/dex so any weapon I make refined can kill anything). Anyway, I can't tell if I'm rusty or its that hard, but I have died a few times and I can tell I wouldn't be swashbuckling my way through some of these enemies otherwise. I may continue to find ways to handicap myself (Calamity Ring) but it is fun as is regardless.
So far I'm most impressed by the giant wolves, very cool. The mystery surrounding the place is okay, though it's obviously familiar, and I just got the Onyx Blade which, while not quite as good at first compared to my Millwood Battle Axe, is ridiculous buffed. I enjoyed the guy's speech that basically sums up a Dark Souls player. =)

Wally, did you ever get into it? Aaz?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Wally, did you ever get into it? Aaz?

The game is growing on me. The first two zones were a lethargic retread, but it's starting to get its hooks into me. I haven't played it in a few days, but I think the last zone I visited was Cathedral of the Deep.

Griffith

Walter said:
The game is growing on me. The first two zones were a lethargic retread

Undead Burg Settlement! Yeah, there's a clear attempt to semi-remake, refine, and expand on the experience of the first game (with shrugging "hey, what's this crap?" references to DSII =), but it's all got its own spin in the details despite some familiar ideas; I don't think the Settlement is actually much like the Burg despite the similar name and idea; Lothric is though, it's like, "Welcome back!" The nicest way to sum it up is a RotJ/Last Crusade style intentional return to form. You can tell this is supposed to be a definitive conclusion to Dark Souls rather than an exploration of or bridge to something new. The game is more successful at this as it rolls along I should add, as it sounds like you're discovering.

Walter said:
but it's starting to get its hooks into me. I haven't played it in a few days, but I think the last zone I visited was Cathedral of the Deep.

That's where it really starts to get interesting before the loregasm that is
Irithyll
(<-common place name mentioned by NPCs throughout the game, not a spoiler unless you're really being strict). That's when the game and its themes really start to shine, literally and figuratively.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
While I'm playing Resident Evil 2 at home, I've been playing the Dragon Quest games on my phone during my breaks at work and on the bus. I beat Dragon Quest the other day, and Dragon Quest II has a bug on the iPhone, so I'm playing Dragon Quest III. They're simple, but entertaining.

Top Bottom