What Are You Playing?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
While I'm playing Resident Evil 2 at home

Still my favorite! God I wish they'd give that one the HD remake treatment instead of fucking 0 because it was already halfway there (not one of the worst entries, but still pretty useless and unable to hold a candle to the glory of RE2)

Anyway, at the risk of sounding like sore loser that needs to shut up and git gud, the bosses in Ariandel are cheap as Hell! :mozgus: Worse, they're also kind of boring (take that, I didn't want to win anyway). I wouldn't mind the challenge of the unblockable attack spam with spinning camera and unresponsive lock-on during the final third of the fight if it wasn't all so repetitive. Almost had it on my second try too but now I'm mired in regressing frustration until I have time to focus on this. :azan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
God I wish they'd give that one the HD remake treatment instead of fucking 0 because it was already halfway there (not one of the worst entries, but still pretty useless and unable to hold a candle to the glory of RE2
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/698504/Resident-Evil-2-Remastered-Remake-coming-January-2017-PS4-Xbox-One

Griffith

Walter said:
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/698504/Resident-Evil-2-Remastered-Remake-coming-January-2017-PS4-Xbox-One

OH HELL YEEEEAH!

tumblr_lybo2vk1Ze1qbckzno1_500.gif

Resident Evil 2 programmer Hiroyuki Kobayashi added: "I'd like him to really understand the intention of the original title and do his best to bring it over to the remake project!"

I love how kind of foreboding that actually sounds, "I hope he doesn't fuck it up!" Yeah, I hope he doesn't think the intention of the original is for Leon to be more badass like his RE4/6 persona. :ganishka:

Anyway, if it's like REmake it should be good, but RE1 had a lot to be improved on, whereas I'm less enthusiastic about major changes to RE2, which is like top 3 for me on PS1 (MGS and FFVII make up the other two).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Anyway, if it's like REmake it should be good, but RE1 had a lot to be improved on, whereas I'm less enthusiastic about major changes to RE2, which is like top 3 for me on PS1 (MGS and FFVII make up the other two).

I don't think it'll be nearly as extensive as the RE1 remake. They'd have showed it off by now, if they were super excited about its progress. I think it might "just" be an upscaled RE2.

Griffith

Walter said:
I don't think it'll be nearly as extensive as the RE1 remake. They'd have showed it off by now, if they were super excited about its progress. I think it might "just" be an upscaled RE2.

Suits me, that game was already pretty loaded with content (the A and B story thing is still rad), I'd rather they fuck with it as little as possible since my only concern is them messing it up. They need only surpass the various RE2 HD fantasies already out there. Although this old ass article seems to indicate otherwise: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/resident-evil-2-full-remake Maybe they're not showing it off because it's not going as well as they'd like? :???:

Anyway, just beat Ashes of Ariandel, or at least I don't know what else to kill yet. Despite all my whining last night I did go back for more before bed and it paid off because I was much sharper after work today despite some technical difficulties that had the game crashing mid-fight (this only seems to happen, or is more noticeable, when one is doing well =). I still found the last third of the fight kind of cheesy and died there a couple more times, but strangely the major breakthrough came simply from switching to the Lothric Knight Sword. It added just enough reach along with long sword speed that it was surprisingly easy to catch and punish them ("you like cheese!? R1R1R1R1R1R1!!"I was also hoping to take advantage of the extra critical hit damage, but it proved a moot feature =) and right away it was a dominating finish where I didn't even need most of my estus by the end. I can't really think of what else the tipping point was, as before that I didn't do half as well despite getting close to the end. It was night and day. Oh well, I'll see what else it has to offer, but kind of a short journey and it didn't add a lot to the series that hasn't already been covered better. I'm hoping it's just the Burial At Sea Part I to the final DLC's part II but I'm a little afraid it's just going to be "another zone."
I'm assuming since this one is supposed to somehow dovetail into the next that it'll be another Painted World. I hope it's, ya know, not just like something else that's already been done in Dark Souls once or twice?

I hate to say it, but they should have just saved
Archdragon Peak
for a DLC. :ganishka:

Playing Ashes of Ariandel right now. I love the atmosphere of it, but I think my character is a bit over powered for it. Regardless, its still very good. From Soft doesn't disappoint me when it comes to DLC.

Griffith

N7Paladin said:
Playing Ashes of Ariandel right now. I love the atmosphere of it, but I think my character is a bit over powered for it.

Same here, nothing was really a challenge except the final boss, and I don't know if it's really that hard or if I just wasn't sharp. DLC Boss spoilers:
I found and fought the optional bosses after and got them on the first try without even refreshing at the closest bonfire from the journey. It was more memorable because I managed to instantly kill myself after by reflexively putting on the Symbol of Avarice with literally no health, but despite that shock I got credit for the kill and the the soul bonus still (just had to retrieve them =)!

N7Paladin said:
Regardless, its still very good. From Soft doesn't disappoint me when it comes to DLC.

Well, I have mixed feelings. It's kind of a weird remix/retread of a bunch of Dark Souls 1 and 3 stuff, but none of it particularly significant, "Hey, that's like that one thing from Dark Souls... but not really, and not really interesting on its own." That's more Dark Souls II's M.O.! I mean, if you're going to do a bunch of light fan service anyway you might as well go all the way and actually make it about that stuff and not just generic analogs to it.
Like, just bring back Artorias if that's what you want to do; it's no worse than introducing half a dozen contrived tributes like his twin brother, Siarotra (I'm kidding... his name is Ariandel =)
. I'm hoping they're pushing their way to something better in the final DLC, but it'll probably end up being about another guy like Gwyn that isn't really Gwyn, except this time that guy is YOU... oh wait, that's what's happened every time. :griffnotevil:

Griffith

Still having fun with Ashes of Ariandel despite my reservations yesterday. Anyone trying the dueling arena? I've only played a few matches but it's definitely got it's own feel to it. Don't bother with tears of denial or you will be DENIED and NO ESTUS ALLOWED is for real now (ashen ones yes though). To optimize you need to gear differently than boss/soul grinding or even regular PvP because of the limitations. When I realized this I eventually made a fast rolling Havel tank with a Curse Ward Greatshield paired with a Lothric knight sword for reach and quick sword arts, buffed with Lighting Sword and Oath of Sunlight (I carried the sunlight straight sword as my alt weapon just for it, though I could have just used Sacred Oath and saved 3lbs). First guy I fought like that didn't stand a chance, but the last was a twitchy, fast rolling, full-set Smough dual-wielding two of his great hammers! I figured that was going to end my night on a down note and it started looking that way but somehow (hint: it was the greatshield and a timely backstab that evened the playing field) I managed to come back from being down to 10% life and kill him just as time ran out; I wasn't even sure I was going to get credit for the win at first but the crown appeared and victory was mine. I bet he was pissed (I would be and certainly have been =). Besides getting a couple licks in he dominated the first 75% of that fight to the point I was sort of running around like a dead man walking before the endgame turned the tide; I don't think he was used to hitting someone with those hammers a few times yet having to go the distance. :guts:

Today I just did some co-op matches against the final boss, but it's mostly an exercise in frustration as your host fucks up and gets killed (once in a hilarious case of premature celebration that resulted in immediate death when we were way ahead =). There was a satisfying one where everyone knew what they were doing and just demolished them, but I finally quit, maybe for good, after a dominating MVP performance where I must have backstabbed the boss at least a dozen times over the course of the fight (not cheap, distracted ones either, I was basically getting them solo). I always wanted to be "that guy" like the overpowered phantoms I used to summon to carry my sorry ass. :judo:

Anyway, if there's a way to match up with the passworded dueling (I didn't really test it) maybe some of us can have a match and we can discover together that despite my braggadocious tales of swashbuckling I in fact still suck. :ganishka:

Currently re-playing all three Mass Effect games, they're one of my favorite series. It's been a while since I've touched them so I'm actually finding them quite enjoyable again.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
N7Paladin said:
Currently re-playing all three Mass Effect games, they're one of my favorite series. It's been a while since I've touched them so I'm actually finding them quite enjoyable again.

Nice! Those are some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy them as much the second time around.

Are you doing anything differently this time?

I just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider on ps4, It was awesome. It took everything that was good about the first one and built upon it. The ending wasn't as good as the first one but the post game collecting is a lot of fun. I liked how you can play the game like a stealth game or you can go full on murder machine, it allows for different play styles. I would recommend this game for sure.

Griffith

N7Paladin said:

I still remember when I finally got ME1 fired up on my laptop and basically played the whole thing through in one night (experiencing the death of
Wrex
at like 4am is an even more moving experience =). Pretty sure that series, particularly Mass Effect 2, is responsible for the premature demise of that laptop as well. :ganishka:

GiantSword Mufasa said:
I just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider on ps4, It was awesome. It took everything that was good about the first one and built upon it. The ending wasn't as good as the first one but the post game collecting is a lot of fun. I liked how you can play the game like a stealth game or you can go full on murder machine, it allows for different play styles. I would recommend this game for sure.

I didn't find it different enough to hold my interest unfortunately (I was quite pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed and played the first one), but I'd like to give it another shot it when I have a chance. It probably didn't help that I played it so soon after completing the first one.

Right now though I'm playing MGS5: The Phantom Pain, which if I recall got pretty mixed to negative feedback around here. So far it's alright. I really like the actual gameplay and engine of course, just like Ground Zeroes, but the structure of the game, or lack thereof is an interesting departure that I'm not sure works for me (I'm only about a dozen missions in). I appreciate that, like Ground Zeroes, I can get lot of the exposition on my radio as I'm playing but I find there's even less of interest being said and overall it's not nearly as compelling as the opening narrative of the game.

Basically, I like that Kojima abandoned his two hour long convos and cutscenes, but now it feels like there's almost no narrative heft or charm at all and I'm just out doing these little bite-sized missions with bite-sized stakes and I'm starting to wonder what the point is, other than the joy of tactical takedowns themselves. Also, the tedium of those cutscenes has been replaced with the tedium of waiting for deployment, of either yourself or necessary items, and doing the same or similar missions with little feeling of real progression (or that feeling of being deep behind enemy lines).

IDK, I like running around 1984 Afghanistan capturing Soviet bases as a living legend, but I'm not sure there's a larger point. Also, Snake/Boss is even dumber than usual and even though he's nominally in charge everyone tells him what's going on and what to do and he never has anything interesting or insightful to say, or much to say at all. Obviously there's in-game reasons for everyone explaining things to you, but it's not handled very well (he doesn't even know puppies get bigger =).

Anyway, I'm still having fun with it and I hope it comes more into focus soon, otherwise I'm going to end up liking the $40 demo better.

Griffith said:
I didn't find it different enough to hold my interest unfortunately (I was quite pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed and played the first one), but I'd like to give it another shot it when I have a chance. It probably didn't help that I played it so soon after completing the first one.

I could agree with that. They are very similar. Like you said just hold off and then try it again. the story is not that long, with that game the devil is in the details. There is much to collect and the tombs are the best part. Unfortunately those are far and few in between. I would recommend it in small segments.

Griffith

GiantSword Mufasa said:
I could agree with that. They are very similar. Like you said just hold off and then try it again. the story is not that long, with that game the devil is in the details. There is much to collect and the tombs are the best part. Unfortunately those are far and few in between. I would recommend it in small segments.

Tombs are actually what I spent the least amount of time on the first go around. My stupid brain doesn't like puzzles I can't shoot my way out of if necessary. :ganishka:

Eluvei said:
That's what happened to me. GZ turned out to be my favorite post-MGS3 game in this series. High praise, I know.

Agreed, and yeah... what I don't understand is it seemed like Kojima had figured out the balance of gameplay to story by MGS3, but then he completely shit the bed in MGS4 with truly interminable, disconnected cutscenes between missions and while GZ was a step in a better and more immersive direction, in PP he's gone to the complete other extreme (like he gave up on story altogether, which I have to admit I looked forward to in the beginning =). Maybe he never got it right in 3 either, those cutscenes were plenty long themselves, the difference is I just liked what they had to say. I gotta give him credit for the Solid trilogy; great, ambitious games, even 2, or especially 2 in the latter category. The guy's probably an egomaniac in love with the smell of his own farts, but he sure tried to back it up. On the other hand, if MGS4 and this are what the future held, we're not missing much by the whole thing coming completely apart. I'd still like to think he had one more MGS3-style masterpiece in him bridging the gap and passing the torch between Big Boss and Solid Snake.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aaz got me a few games off of my Steam wishlist for my birthday last week, including Inside and Firewatch. I had some time to finish those over the weekend. Both were very short experiences, but with varying results.

Inside is incredibly beautiful. Visuals alone nearly make it worth the price of admission. For those who have played Limbo, this is the next game from that studio. While it retains the very basic mechanics of its predecessor (you are primarily walking from left to right and solving simple environmental puzzles along the way), Inside is much more ambitious in what it is trying to achieve. Final take: Maybe not worth the full $20, but at half off? Grab it for sure.

Firewatch ... Man, I was deeply disappointed. A true indie darling, Firewatch comes from Campo Santo, a new studio composed of veteran game makers and contributors. This is Campo Santo's contribution to the genre popularized (and perhaps mastered) by Gone Home, which was my favorite game of 2014. But this is just a goddamned mess. Firewatch is a story-based "exploration" game in which you are ostensibly free to explore the wilderness of Yellowstone Park as a diminutive park ranger (a fire watcher, in truth), dealing with grief by commiserating with your spunky boss over the radio. And then, of course, it takes a turn. I won't give too much away, but the fundamental problem is that the game invests so much of its (4h total) time building up the HOOK of the game before it takes a turn that it never really delivers its punch effectively. By the end, the whole experience felt flaccid to me. I also encountered numerous bugs, including one that trailed me the entire game. The "wilderness" never feels like much more than a few large rooms, chained together by a series of funnels. The game doesn't encourage you to explore it. It wants you to walk on certain paths, which in the setting of a residence like Gone Home made perfect sense. But to place the setting in the wide outdoors and then to ramrod you down a certain path -- what the fuck? Final take: Fuck Firewatch.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Aazealh said:
I'm playing Tyranny by Obsidian and having a great time so far.

It sounds really cool based on your description from the other weekend! Now I wanna play! :ganishka: I'm way behind on my game list though, still gotta buy Pillars of Eternity (Xmas Sale, here I come!)

Walter said:
Final take: Fuck Firewatch.

I have watched only a playthrough of it myself, but I feel vindicated knowing that somebody who has actually played it disliked it as much as I did. What a waste. I liked the visuals and the "texture" of the world, but overall it was writing some checks that it just wasn't prepared to cash, which makes me wonder, what the hell were the writers trying to do?
There was also that whole weird plothole (at least, it felt like a plothole) where Delilah leaves you your walkie-talkie in one of those drop-off boxes way at the southern end of your map, when she's stationed far to the north. Don't make no dang sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

As for myself, I've been blowing off some steam (hah!) in Fallout 4 lately. So far, really enjoying it, but I find the settlement building aspect a bit of a drag. I can only carry around so many office fans and crystal decanters, you dig? :sad: I also agree somewhat with the criticism that a lot of the locations of interest are packed too close together, but I also like having so much to do. Right now my companion is Strong, his commentary cracks me up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
I have watched only a playthrough of it myself, but I feel vindicated knowing that somebody who has actually played it disliked it as much as I did. What a waste.

This game offers no incentive for not just watching the whole thing on YouTube, except for the sense of discovery when you stumble onto something new or optional. But when that worked in Gone Home, it was revelatory. Whereas here, the "secrets" are throwaway details about the world and its inhabitants.

Grail said:
There was also that whole weird plothole (at least, it felt like a plothole) where Delilah leaves you your walkie-talkie in one of those drop-off boxes way at the southern end of your map, when she's stationed far to the north. Don't make no dang sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

That didn't bother me much, because by the end of the game, we know that she has the means of going back and forth (using the winch). But it is quite a walk... HOWEVER, what I still don't understand (and at this point, hardly even care about) is who planted the backpack near the end of the game with the alarm in it which had they keys to the cave. Doesn't make sense for it to have been the father, because he wanted to keep Henry out of the cave. Then the father says he "didn't see the point" in burying him, despite the fact that he didn't want the body to be found (lol).

I can only carry around so many office fans and crystal decanters, you dig?

I might not be understanding you fully, but the first thing I do in every Bethesda game is to give myself unlimited holding capacity. It makes them significantly more tolerable.

Aazealh said:
I'm playing Tyranny by Obsidian and having a great time so far.

I just love Obsidian rpgs. How do the rpg mechanics seem to you? (in term of how many combination of character build you can do) Are they simplified compared to Pillars or equally complex?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sancho said:
I just love Obsidian rpgs. How do the rpg mechanics seem to you? (in term of how many combination of character build you can do) Are they simplified compared to Pillars or equally complex?

They don't seem simplified at all to me. I haven't really dwelled on it but I think there's actually more variety than in PoE. One thing that surprised me however is that your group can only have four party members (yourself included). Makes for an easier micro-management but... I'm used to more. The story also asks that you make some drastic choices pretty regularly and those have very concrete consequences.

Aazealh said:
They don't seem simplified at all to me. I haven't really dwelled on it but I think there's actually more variety than in PoE. One thing that surprised me however is that your group can only have four party members (yourself included). Makes for an easier micro-management but... I'm used to more. The story also asks that you make some drastic choices pretty regularly and those have very concrete consequences.

That's good to hear, both for the mechanics and the choice's concequences. There has been a general tendency of the developers in the last 10 years to simplify everything, from the gameplay to the character building system, reducing stats, skills, implementing more smash-button action-oriented gameplays. I'm glad Obsidian still remain faithful to its origins.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sancho said:
That's good to hear, both for the mechanics and the choice's concequences. There has been a general tendency of the developers in the last 10 years to simplify everything, from the gameplay to the character building system, reducing stats, skills, implementing more smash-button action-oriented gameplays. I'm glad Obsidian still remain faithful to its origins.

What I like about it most to tell you the truth is the world & story. Much like PoE, I find it a refreshingly novel take on the Fantasy genre, which is no easy feat.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I beat Dragon Quest III the other day, and started playing Dragon Quest II (Square Enix finally patched it, so it doesn't crash every time you defeat a group of the same type of enemy). I'm really liking this series so far.

Top Bottom