What are you reading?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Just finished reading "Ender's Game" for the second time. Loved the book and loved the characters.

Currently reading: Catcher in the Rye

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Just finished reading "Ender's Game" for the second time.  Loved the book and loved the characters.
Hey, I'm reading Ender's Game right now for the first time. It's really hard for me to take the concept of 9 year olds commanding entire armies and secretly ruling the world ... seriously.

And the way the book is written, I'm pretty sure a 2nd grader could understand it all. I suppose it's a good intro to sci-fi. I just often find myself wishing the novel went a little deeper into the concepts, and spent less time explaining all the physical nuances of how Ender flips his body around and uses his body gracefully in the Battle Room. I personally don't give a flying fuck.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Ender's Game was supposed to be the second book in the series, but ended up being the first. "Speaker for the Dead" was supposed to be the main book, but things changed so it ended up being second.

Keep reading and all will be revealed. It's an awesome book, dude.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Hey, I'm reading Ender's Game right now for the first time. It's really hard for me to take the concept of 9 year olds commanding entire armies and secretly ruling the world ... seriously.

And the way the book is written, I'm pretty sure a 2nd grader could understand it all. I suppose it's a good intro to sci-fi. I just often find myself wishing the novel went a little deeper into the concepts, and spent less time explaining all the physical nuances of how Ender flips his body around and uses his body gracefully in the Battle Room. I personally don't give a flying fuck.

Well keep in mind the novel was originally a short story that the author later expanded. In the end the plot is pretty simple to understand though, and I'm certain you'll see the end coming a mile away just like I did when I first read it, but it is indeed a good intro to Sci-Fi.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
Well keep in mind the novel was originally a short story that the author later expanded. In the end the plot is pretty simple to understand though, and I'm certain you'll see the end coming a mile away just like I did when I first read it, but it is indeed a good intro to Sci-Fi.

I actually didn't see the end coming. Like, at all. I was completely surprised.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Ah man, the Ender series is my favorite book series. Speaker For the Dead is where the real Sci-Fi concepts and crazy shit begins. Also, Ender's Shadow is another book that takes place within the same time period but through the eyes of one of the other Battle School students, and I actually like that one better than Ender's Game. But seriously, even if you don't like Ender's Game, read Speaker For the Dead and the sequels after that, they're much more adult oriented and have heavier themes.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Darklink286 said:
Ah man, the Ender series is my favorite book series. Speaker For the Dead is where the real Sci-Fi concepts and crazy shit begins. Also, Ender's Shadow is another book that takes place within the same time period but through the eyes of one of the other Battle School students, and I actually like that one better than Ender's Game. But seriously, even if you don't like Ender's Game, read Speaker For the Dead and the sequels after that, they're much more adult oriented and have heavier themes.

Speaker was a great read. The concepts of the mothers, fathertrees and third-lifes were awesome. Also, the characters were great.

Ender's Shadow was a damn fine read. Bean is such an awesome character. I refer to him as Ender-2.

Actually, the entire Shadow series is really good. Shadow of the Giant was AWESOME.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Johnstantine said:
I actually didn't see the end coming. Like, at all. I was completely surprised.
I actually didn't get a chance to be surprised really since I read Ender's Shadow first and Bean figures it out way before anyone else does in the book.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
What can I say, I'm a very special boy. :badbone:

:ganishka:

See, at least it HAD an ending though.

It's not like the end of the Dark Tower series where I was disgusted and actually threw all of the books away.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
See, at least it HAD an ending though.

It's not like the end of the Dark Tower series where I was disgusted and actually threw all of the books away.
DT had an ending. It even had 2 endings, really.

Just the other day finished reading Dearly Devoted Dexter, second in the Dexter series. Read the first one awhile back. Actually a little irritated with myself since I ended up reading the third book (Dexter in the Dark) before Dearly Devoted Dexter.

Overall, loved the books. Absolutely hilarious. I enjoy the show quite a bit too, so it's interesting to see how much more likeable, yet-inhuman Dexter is in the books versus in the show. On the other hand, the show is a lot better at building up secondary characters and some dramatic elements, so they both stand up well enough in my eyes.

I've finished:

The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way by Bill Bryson

God Save the Mark by Donald E. Westlake

I'm re-reading that Filmosophy and taking notes this time.

And, I've picked up and am now thoroughly enjoying the last book of Salinger's (that has currently been published [when will he die??]):
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
As far as I'm concerned, the series ended with Wizard and Glass. The last three books were just too, well, off(imho).
Well, I'm sure some Berserk "fans" would say the series ended with the Golden Age :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Well, I'm sure some Berserk "fans" would say the series ended with the Golden Age :ganishka:

Now seriously dude I love you but don't compare Berserk to the Dark Tower. :mozgus:

Any Bukowski fans here? I haven't read any of his, but I've been hearing a lot about him lately so I just ordered Post Office off of Amazon, I wasn't really sure where to start with him but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
Any Bukowski fans here? I haven't read any of his, but I've been hearing a lot about him lately so I just ordered Post Office off of Amazon, I wasn't really sure where to start with him but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Uhh...yea i mentioned before in this thread. I love him, personally. I would start with Ham on Rye and then maybe Women because they follow the same character, his alter ego. I would also reccomend getting one his massive books filled with his poetry and prose.

Started but never finished:
murakami-hard-boiled-wonderland.jpg

Murakami's preoccupation with sex is outright overbearing in this book. Whereas the sexuality in Wind-Up Bird Chronicles and Norwegian Wood played a more natural role in the story, with this it just seems like he really can't get it off his mind. Sex is mentioned between characters in the most sudden and unnecessary fashion that it became a joke.

Maybe I'll finish it later, but I've since moved on to this wonderful treasure I found in the liberry:

17293444.JPG

Can any one recommend which book of M. Robbe-Grillet that I should follow this up with?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Finished Ender's Game. Reading DUNE now.

Geeze Walter get with the times. :troll:

Anyways, I hit a Dune wall. I love Dune, but I can't find the urge to pick up the next book. Maybe it's school work. So In the mean time I'm reading Child of God by Cormick McCarthy, when ever I get time to go to the book store to finish it.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Geeze Walter get with the times. :troll:

Anyways, I hit a Dune wall. I love Dune, but I can't find the urge to pick up the next book. Maybe it's school work. So In the mean time I'm reading Child of God by Cormick McCarthy, when ever I get time to go to the book store to finish it.

That's a good book. You should check out Blood Meridian afterwards.

Top Bottom