What are you reading?

XionHorsey said:
Pretty much all of it. I read up to the point to where
he was kicked down and left hanging.
Beyond that, I looked for spoilers and boy did I find them. Like I said, I saw no reason to continue.

I'm aware of what Proyas was involved in, but I also remember that
he would negotiate surrenders only for Saubon to be the one killing every one.
My anger had a lot to do with the WAY it happened and the fact that his downfall was set up. I felt like it was just subversive for the sake of being subversive. I really believe that there could have been alternatives.

I'm not going to bother spoiler-texting anything. As much as I love this series, no one reads it, so no one will particularly care.

The only kind of epistemic revolt I had with the series on that level was when Nil'giccas died. A sense of simply: this is not what is supposed to happen. He's the rightful King of Ishterebinth, he needs to go back and oust all the toadies that are serving the Consult. Unite the Intact and the Wayward and with Cil'culiccas at his side ride out for one last confrontation with the Consult. But that doesn't happen. He gets accidentally killed by Achamian by a tier-1 spell, screaming about how he will wring a last drop of anguish out of the world. I was so pissed about how pathetically and anticlimactically things concluded in Sauglish, and then finding Ishual destroyed. I thought I was done with the series too. But it was a five year wait until The Great Ordeal and after that long time the more and more I thought about the series the more respect I had for Bakker's creative decisions.

Proyas may be dead man walking, but he still has three very powerful scenes left in the book. And the great confrontation/reunion between Kellhus and Achamian after all these years comes down to an argument about the fate of Proyas. Idk. I'm arguing a sunk ship fallacy, but I don't think you read three-thousand pages whilst loving a series then tap out over the fate of a beloved character. I think it's kind of a disservice to all that Bakker has crafted, all the complex themes and ideas he has been grappling with. And c'mon, the Battle of Golgotterath is probably the greatest fictional battle sequence ever committed to page, it can't be understood by reading some recap after the fact, it must be experienced.

I have no power to make you do absolutely anything XionHorsey, but I would say: go cleanse your palate with Malazan, takes as many months as off from Bakker as you need, but you really should finish out this series.

Malazan is a series I feel mixed about. I like Erikson commitment to creating a truly alien and bafflingly complex world, but it just gets so overwhelming. His main series is 10 books, I tapped out about halfway through Midnight Tides, book 5. Then Ian C. Esselmont's (the co-creator of the setting who is usually referred to as "ICE" in fan parlance) series is like 6 books and counting. Erikson is now working on a prequel trilogy about all the Tiste(Elf) races and he has the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novels on the side in the same world. It's... just so much stuff to read. Keep me informed on your Gardens of the Moon progress though, I'm sure it'll be interesting.

I've been reading The Expance, really good sci fi books. I'm currently on the third book.
The season 1 of the TV series adaptation is pretty faithful to the books (havent watched the second season)
If you liked the TV series, like me, you will love the Books.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Soon will be reading this! https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/16/preview-random-houses-35th-anniversary-complete-akira-right-left/

It's the 6 big Akira volumes, hardcover, with a new translation. It also comes with an artbook featuring all the official colored art. It's up on Amazon for $135 if anyone else is interested.

I can only dream that one day Berserk will get a similar treatment... How many vols would it take though? Maybe it should just be sold as a bookshelf :magni:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm taking a break from Lovecraft and reading Carrie. It's pretty good so far. I saw the De Palma movie as a teenager, so I know what's going to happen, but it's really well written.

I finished reading Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson. It was entertaining and it kept me reading even though I didn't have much time/energy, which I think says a lot for it. The characters were pretty good. It felt like they could have been fleshed out more, but it was sufficient to get me to give a fuck about what happened to them. This book provides some interesting insights into the First Order, including things I'm sure you've been dying to know, like General Hux's taste in interior décor and loungewear. Well, look no further, my friends. :carcus: Phasma's backstory is explored. Her decision to bring the shields down on the Starkiller base when threatened with her life makes more sense to me now, which I had hoped. While I can't say it's great, I enjoyed reading this book and I dig that chromium armor! :ubik:

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
Finished Gardens of the moon. Here are my Tumblr reactions: https://divinesong.tumblr.com/tagged/gardens-of-the-moon

Now moving on to DeadHouse Gates.

Walter said:
Soon will be reading this! https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/16/preview-random-houses-35th-anniversary-complete-akira-right-left/

It's the 6 big Akira volumes, hardcover, with a new translation. It also comes with an artbook featuring all the official colored art. It's up on Amazon for $135 if anyone else is interested.

I can only dream that one day Berserk will get a similar treatment... How many vols would it take though? Maybe it should just be sold as a bookshelf :magni:

HOLY SHIT, I just looked it up and totally slept on the release. Thanks for bringing it up! I have the art book already, so I'll have to figure what to do with it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Carrie about a week ago and have been reading A Song for Lya. After that, I'm going to read I Am Legend.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm reading the run of Marvel Star Wars comics starting from 2015 and the Thrawn Trilogy simultaneously. It's like I'm at different points in two timelines in parallel (extended) universes! Everyone knows the Thrawn books, so I'll focus on the comics.

So far those modern SW comics are way better than the new movies at doing new and interesting things with old favorites. For example, though it's a bit of a departure, would it surprise you that a man like Han Solo has a scorned ex-wife that's most displeased with him and knows how use a blaster?

The one's I'm reading are the first two Star Wars collected books from 2015 and all the Vader collection and crossovers therin (the "Vader Down" arc). Even my Star Wars hating wife thought it was interesting to see the moment Vader learns Luke's identity and his reaction(s). They also manage to credibly embrace the facts of the prequels and reintroduce them into classic Star Wars in interesting ways (because it's not just ignored or shoehorned in). For example, Vader being knowledgeable of mechanics and droids.

The medium provides the kind of slow burning deep dive for characters that goes a long way toward rectifying Vader's (and others') changes between the prequels, ANH, and Empire. I don't want to say it's actually making those classic films better, because they don't need it, but it's very cleverly scrawling in their margins to make THESE stories relevant. So, while it wasn't required, it's actually taking advantage of the subtle changes to the characters between films. This is a lot better and more natural than the often forced ways the prequels and new films are connected to the originals for purely nostalgic reasons (which is ironically a disservice to the connection). Plus, that's all happening behind the backdrop of actual new situations, adventures or things we didn't see behind the scenes as opposed to rehashing the same Star Wars plot.

For example, you basically get to see Vader fulfilling his official duties for the Emperor and Empire balanced against, sometimes in very direct conflict, with running his own game behind the Emperor's back, and vice versa. It makes Vader more diabolical and dangerous since he's been allowed to be since Empire, which makes sense because that's the direction it's supposed to be going, and it's a good one.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I'm reading the run of Marvel Star Wars comics starting from 2015 and the Thrawn Trilogy simultaneously. It's like I'm at different points in two timelines in parallel (extended) universes! Everyone knows the Thrawn books, so I'll focus on the comics.

So far those modern SW comics are way better than the new movies at doing new and interesting things with old favorites. For example, though it's a bit of a departure, would it surprise you that a man like Han Solo has a scorned ex-wife that's most displeased with him and knows how use a blaster?

The one's I'm reading are the first two Star Wars collected books from 2015 and all the Vader collection and crossovers therin (the "Vader Down" arc). Even my Star Wars hating wife thought it was interesting to see the moment Vader learns Luke's identity and his reaction(s). They also manage to credibly embrace the facts of the prequels and reintroduce them into classic Star Wars in interesting ways (because it's not just ignored or shoehorned in). For example, Vader being knowledgeable of mechanics and droids.

The medium provides the kind of slow burning deep dive for characters that goes a long way toward rectifying Vader's changes between the prequels, ANH, and Empire. I don't want to say it's actually making those classic films better, because they don't need it, but it's very cleverly scrawling in their margins to make THESE stories relevant. So, while it wasn't required, it's actually taking advantage of the subtle changes to the character between films. This is a lot better and more natural than the often forced ways the prequels and new films are connected to the originals for purely nostalgic reasons (which is ironically a disservice to the connection). Plus, that's all happening behind the backdrop of actual new situations, adventures or things we didn't see behind the scenes as opposed to rehashing the same Star Wars plot.

You basically get to see Vader fulfilling his official duties balanced, sometimes in very direct conflict, with running his own games. It makes him more clever and dangerous since he's been allowed to be since Empire, which makes sense because that's the direction it's supposed to be going, and it's a good one.

Yeah, all of the comics as of 2015 have been great. The new Vader series has been pretty badass. It takes place directly after RotS.

I just started Nemesis: Alcibiades and the Fall of Athens by David Stuttard

I'm also reading Dreamer of Dune: The Biography of Frank Herbert by Brian Herbert. It's always a unique experience to learn about the personal details of a man whose written works you have great admiration for. Brian does a great job of detailing Frank's personal and intellectual development, while interweaving that with his own poignant journey towards reconciliation and friendship with a father that throughout most of his youth was quite cold and distant. An interesting part of the book was Frank's reaction to seeing Star Wars for the first time

When Dad saw the movie, he picked out sixteen points of what he called "absolute identity" between his book and the movie, enough to make him livid. He thought he saw ideas of other science fiction writers on the screen as well, including those of Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven, Ted Sturgeon, Barry Malzberg, and Jerry Pournelle.
Still, Frank Herbert tried to be upbeat. He and other science fiction writers who thought they saw their work in Lucas's movie formed a loose organization that my father called, with his tongue firmly placed in his cheek, the We're Too Big to Sue George Lucas Society. Through humor, Dad tried to mask the pain.
One of his biggest concerns: Star Wars made the filming of Dune an even bigger challenge than before, even more insurmountable, because of the important concepts that had now been pre-empted on the screen. Not the least of these was the young hero of Star Wars, Luke Skywalker, who, like Paul Atreides of Dune had messianic qualities, with a link to a mystical religious force.

I'm switching back and forth between Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. And while Mistborn is an incredibly fun, action-filled fantasy adventure, Wheel of Time is....incredibly dense, and spends way too much time with the guys thinking the girls are bossy bitches, and the girls thinking the guys are stubborn dumbies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NCHaskew said:
Wheel of Time is....incredibly dense, and spends way too much time with the guys thinking the girls are bossy bitches, and the girls thinking the guys are stubborn dumbies.

https://www.tor.com/2017/03/24/how-many-times-does-braid-tugging-and-skirt-smoothing-happen-in-the-wheel-of-time/

Zeke said:
I just started Nemesis: Alcibiades and the Fall of Athens by David Stuttard

I'm also reading Dreamer of Dune: The Biography of Frank Herbert by Brian Herbert. It's always a unique experience to learn about the personal details of a man whose written works you have great admiration for. Brian does a great job of detailing Frank's personal and intellectual development, while interweaving that with his own poignant journey towards reconciliation and friendship with a father that throughout most of his youth was quite cold and distant. An interesting part of the book was Frank's reaction to seeing Star Wars for the first time

Thank you for posting this. I’ve always been curious about what Herbert thought of Star Wars since it’s practically a retelling of Dune, in my opinion. His negative reaction is completely understandable, but a part of me hoped he took it in stride or with humor.

Walter said:
https://www.tor.com/2017/03/24/how-many-times-does-braid-tugging-and-skirt-smoothing-happen-in-the-wheel-of-time/

Oh dear God. I'm about 300 pages into Fires of Heaven, and that sounds about right. Jesus, Robert Jordan :rickert:

RIP

Finished reading Paradise Lost, I guess when you are in an english speaking country it is school assigned which i hate, but I really enjoyed it, me not being religious rolled my eyes at a few remarks that didn't age well.
Started reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, and I really adore how beautifully Oscar Wilde writes

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Sareth said:
Finally getting around to reading Giganto Maxia

Nice! I think you'll like it.

Personally, I hope Miura returns to that universe when he finishes Berserk.

I finished The Dragonbone Chair on Sunday and started reading the next book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series: Stone of Farewell.

I really enjoyed The Dragonbone Chair. It's easy to see where George R. R. Martin was influenced (he cites Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn as the series that inspired him to write A Song of Ice and Fire), but I have to say I'm enjoying Tad Williams' story a lot more than Martin's. Williams takes his time, for sure, but it all pays off in the end. I have to thank my wife for introducing me to his books; she read most of them when she was in high school.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My summer reading project is all the Frank Herbert Dune books. Of course, I've read the first book several times and love it. But the second book, Dune Messiah, has repeatedly pushed me away from continuing with the series every time I try (it is a rough read, especially following on the heels of the greatness of Dune). This time though, I won't give up. I've read such good things about the later books, particularly God Emperor of Dune, that I feel like it's overdue for me to give the full series my attention. I feel like a real hypocrite, because I've proselytized Dune on so many occasions, calling it my favorite scifi novel, and yet I've never "finished" the story. :ganishka: So currently, I'm near the end of Dune Messiah. Eagerly awaiting the conclusion so I can move on :daiba:

Top Bottom