What are you reading?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
My summer reading project is all the Frank Herbert Dune books. Of course, I've read the first book several times and love it. But the second book, Dune Messiah, has repeatedly pushed me away from continuing with the series every time I try (it is a rough read, especially following on the heels of the greatness of Dune). This time though, I won't give up. I've read such good things about the later books, particularly God Emperor of Dune, that I feel like it's overdue for me to give the full series my attention. I feel like a real hypocrite, because I've proselytized Dune on so many occasions, calling it my favorite scifi novel, and yet I've never "finished" the story. :ganishka: So currently, I'm near the end of Dune Messiah. Eagerly awaiting the conclusion so I can move on :daiba:

Awesome! I hope you enjoy them, Walter. The first time I read Dune Messiah was rough, but I appreciated it much more the second time around. It gives the reader an insight into Paul's mind and how his prescience actually works. Even if you don't like it that much, I think you'll really enjoy Children of Dune. God Emperor of Dune is my personal favorite, after the first book. Can't wait to hear your takes on these.

Rhombaad said:
Nice! I think you'll like it.

Personally, I hope Miura returns to that universe when he finishes Berserk.

Finished it a bit ago. It was pretty weird, though if Miura continues that would be pretty cool.

I've been reading The first law series by Joe Abercrombie.
Cant recommend it enough. Really like the way the Author writes the story. Interresting characters, great pacing, i'm really enjoying it. Im in the second book now.
I came across the series through a top ten fantasy books list from Reddit, glad i decided to start it.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
Done with Memories of Ice(absolutely LOVED this one) and am now on to House of Chains. I don't think MOI will be topped though. Will have to see.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished reading Stone of Farewell on Sunday and started reading the final book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy, To Green Angel Tower. I'm really enjoying this series and can't wait to see how it ends.

XionHorsey said:
Done with Memories of Ice(absolutely LOVED this one) and am now on to House of Chains. I don't think MOI will be topped though. Will have to see.
I'm at Reaper's Gale. And I can tell you just this: every book tops the previous one. Period. Just let that sink for a moment.
Now, some people don't like House of Chains. It takes some kind of "detour" at the beginning. It basically introduces a character that I won't name. In my opinion, it is one of the best characters ever. The story keeps going, though. And it reaches a big pivotal point for the first half of this series. Also the ending has a big revelation that beautifully connects with something in Deadhouse Gates. You'll know when you get to it, and you'll just smile. I think you'll love it. Enjoy the journey, friend!

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
I'm 65% through House of Chains and I don't think it anywhere near tops Memories of Ice. So, I think it's a question of who you ask.

I do, however, happen to like that one character though. In fact, I adore him. But, he does not compare to my cinnamon roll
Itkovian

XionHorsey said:
Finished House of Chains and am moving on to Midnight Tides.
Nice! How did you like that ending? :ubik:

Now, Midnight Tides... It has one of the strongest prologues of the series imo. It felt flawless for me. Don't know if stronger than MOI's, but strong nonetheless.
In fact, that prologue is very important, it is the first step into the second half of the series. Keep it marked. Fifth book, as you will see, changes location. But don't be fooled by that fact: it starts many, many new and important plot lines. Erikson likes doing that all the time, it seems.
What I liked about this book is that it feels organic. As location changes, now the amount of characters to track is reduced to that location, and it feels refreshing. If you're used to checking the Dramatis Personae, you'll find a few interesting names on it.
Oh. And this book features two characters that you'll instantly love. Won't name them. Thank the Errant for them!

Do you know the other series Esslemont started alongside Erikson? After House of Chains I decided to read Night of Knives (it features events even prior to Gardens of the Moon). People say that in book 9, Dust of Dreams, there's a spoiler from the second book in Esslemont's series. I'm planning on reading that book right after I finish Reaper's Gale.
People don't seem to reach any agreement on when, if ever, to read Esslemont's books. Just so you know. His narrative is below Erikson's, but the style is identical. I'm following them too just to get the full picture.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
Here's what I thought of House of Chains, TBH: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2508371352?book_show_action=false

As for Midnight Tides, I'm 37% in and it is probably the fastest read so far. Yea, I knew that's it's all basically like a puzzle that comes together. I was told that before I got into the series. As for the two characters, I know who you're talking about.

I have yet to read anything by Esselmont, but I plan to given that some of them do weave into the main series, like Orb, Scepter, Throne.

Finished Reaper's Gale and Return of the Crimson Guard.
Esslemont does a good job. Not as good as Erikson, but passable, and better than before. It's really recommended to read it, or at least find a summary after reading Reaper's Gale, because there's a lot that happens there, some key characters do important stuff. And as the title suggests, other seemingly forgotten people return.

4% into Toll the Hounds and already I can see gods, demons and death.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
IncantatioN said:
I'll be headed home this evening for 3 weeks and my book companions will be Perfume and One Hundred Years of Solitude.

How cool! I read One Hundred Years of Solitude many years ago. Little did I know at the time that I probably should have read an article or two on Latin American history first. As a result, I took the entire book as a literal sort of fairy tale. It was fun, but perhaps not what the author intended! :ganishka:

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
Finished Bonehunters on December 1. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2559327478

Will be starting Reaper's Gale soon. Looks like I'll be reading this one through Christmas. If not, then Toll the Hounds.

Grail said:
How cool! I read One Hundred Years of Solitude many years ago. Little did I know at the time that I probably should have read an article or two on Latin American history first. As a result, I took the entire book as a literal sort of fairy tale. It was fun, but perhaps not what the author intended! :ganishka:
OMG I'm from latin América and this book is amazing, and a pride of the continent, do not worry if you think that what you understand is wrong, because the magic of the book lies there, for each reading one understands a different meaning, I'm been reading the book for second time, that's why I affirm it, every Arcadio mean something! Good luck! :serpico:

With the upcoming premiere for season 3 of True Detective I thought it an opportune time to remind everyone who is a fan of the show and of Nic Pizzolatto's writing that shortly before his TV success, in 2010 he published a book titled "Galveston".

I won't bother to post a synopsis here, since you can easily find that online. I will just say that for me it was a smooth, cursive and enjoyable read with remarkable prose, an experience I seldom come across while reading these days (I read the book in the span of 3 days and had a difficult time putting it down). Even though this story is less loaded with existentialism and philosophy, thus covering a narrower range of issues, unlike the show, it's still an intriguing delve into the internal and external conflicts of a "bad man" diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and abandoned by everybody. It has that same unmistakable southern atmospheric and gritty charm also present in True Detective, and even as a European, I enjoyed all of it.

I read Galveston quite some time ago so this is not an extensive review or analysis or anything of the sort. It's merely to let people know that this book exists and it's really good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I also picked up Galveston back during all the Season 1 hype, when Pizzolatto walked on water, but I could never really get into it. :shrug: I'll get back to it one day!

I'm halfway through The Gone World, which has been phenomenal so far. The cover's media blurb actually references True Detective but uhh, not exactly sure what they were going for with that one. It's a sci-fi detective/thriller, which is one of my favorite mashups. Specifically, it's about the horrors of government-endorsed time travel and an ongoing criminal investigation. The first chapter sold me on it, and you can of course grab that for free via Amazon+Kindle. I read that and bought it a few days later after I couldn't stop thinking about it.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
25% into Reaper's Gale. Been a little slow with this one. Clearly typical with Erickson. Slow build-up, but close to half-way in, it's GO TIME.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Finally getting off my butt and reading Dune. I know there are multiple books, but I've heard anything after Herbet's death isn't worth reading.

Any insight from anyone?

Top Bottom