What are you watching? (television thread)

Oburi

All praise Grail
I've been on the fence about creating a this thread for a while now but I finally gave in do to watching the new Curb your Enthusiasm episode tonight. I do believe this is one of the best and funniest shows on tv and this new season is kind of exploding with star power and irony. The arc for this season is that Larry David, in an attempt to win back his wife Cheryl, decides to bring back together the cast of Seinfeld for a special reunion show. Now in reality, this is the first time Jerry, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander, and Michael Richards will appear together on tv again, and even more, on the exact same sets that have been dug up and with many of the same crew, including director Larry Charles (Borat/Bruno). I know not everyone is a Seinfeld fan but it's pretty cool to see them coming together after 11 years of never having any interest in doing a reunion show. And normally they never would, but in the context of Curb's storyline, the Seinfeld reunion will be a reality, but still in a unique way since the actors will be in character playing themselves... playing their Seinfeld characters. Brilliant! It was also funny to see David Spade and Meg Ryan unexpectedly, and my favorite actor christian Slater is i guess going to be in next weeks episode. If your unfamiliar with Curb you should know that all the guest stars play themselves, usually picking on their own celebrity.

Now I'm not really big on watching television, but I do follow some shows. Right now my tv schedule for things i can't miss goes like this,
Sunday- Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
-The Soup (E!)
Thursday- The Office (NBC)
Friday- Real Time With Bill Maher (HBO)

I tried following Entourage this season but it was terrible, worst season yet, went absolutely nowhere. I also tried getting into True Blood, though i missed to many episodes that I'm totally lost in the plot. Any True Blood fans?

Well anyway I'm interested to hear what anyone else is watching. Go ahead and post your weekly programs and lets discuss :serpico:

EDIT- Forgot to mention that the new South Park season kicks off next wednesday, can't wait

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Oburi said:
EDIT- Forgot to mention that the new South Park season kicks off next wednesday, can't wait
I think that's the only thing I still follow on TV while it's airing...

I also follow South Park. I follow another show called the Vampire Diaries which starts every Thursday. I have found myself quite drawn to that show even though it is basically like Twilight but it is definitely a lot better story wise and the actors as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I watch NCIS on TV sometimes, or CSI or Bones depending on what's airing. That's about it, and needless to say I don't follow these shows assiduously.

X

Xem

Me and my girlfriend watch at least a dozen shows when they air. We're confessed TV-aholics. Ironically I don't particularly love any of them really.

At the moment my favorites are probably Top Chef (go Kevin!), Curb Your Enthusiasm, and tosh.O (starts up again this Thursday). Also I enjoy the Daily Show and Reno 911 whenever I happen to catch'em.

edit: I don't know how I forgot, but I just recently started up HBO's The Wire. That's definitely my favorite for what I'm watching now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I watch NCIS on TV sometimes, or CSI or Bones depending on what's airing.
I watch Bones as well, since my wife does. :guts:

edit: I don't know how I forgot, but I just recently started up HBO's The Wire. That's definitely my favorite for what I'm watching now.
Bar none, my favorite show. Amazingly written and acted from start to finish. I was initially apprehensive because I thought it would be a police procedural, just with HBO edginess. Boy was I wrong. It's a sociological show, analyzing the inherent problems in American institutions (politics, schools, police, business etc.).

The only show I've been following recently has been Madmen. It's a good show, but it's very full of itself. It KNOWS how good it is and often gets a bit pretentious, so it's not for everyone.

Anyone who liked the Sopranos or has a fascination with American culture in the 60s deserves to give it a watch.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Right now I'm watching The Office, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, South Park (can't wait for the new season!), Tosh.0, Kenny vs. Spenny (whose American season just ended) and The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. I'll also be watching Lost when it starts up again next year. Other than that, I mainly stick to watching movies and shows on DVD/Blu-ray.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I'm watching Monk,Law and Order SVU,The Office,Breaking bad(online). Aside from tv shows I try sometimes for the news at night or in the afternoon.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyone else catch the new South Park that kicked off last night? It was pretty funny, not their best episode, but a good start to the new season.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
Anyone else catch the new South Park that kicked off last night? It was pretty funny, not their best episode, but a good start to the new season.

I recorded it on my DVR and am planning on watching it tonight. :guts:

X

Xem

Walter said:
Bar none, my favorite show. Amazingly written and acted from start to finish. I was initially apprehensive because I thought it would be a police procedural, just with HBO edginess. Boy was I wrong. It's a sociological show, analyzing the inherent problems in American institutions (politics, schools, police, business etc.).

Just finished the first season and I have to admit I honestly wished I had a fresh bottle of champagne (whiskey) to toast (party) to them as they rang in the case. What a great finale. I was warned that the second season wasn't as good, but it doesn't matter now, I'm hooked - and once I'm hooked, I'm gonna watch the whole series.

Really makes you wonder, whatever happened to HBO's top quality mini-series'? The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Rome, and now The Wire were all phenomenal imho. I get sucked into watching True Blood because my friends love it, but really, it's no where near the caliber of what used to air.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well HBO is still responsible for Flight of The Conchords, Curb, Entourage, True Blood, Hung, Big Love and Bored to Death. Granted most of those are comedies but all shows are top notch (not to sure about Bored to death yet though). And I never cared for Deadwood or Rome to be honest. I could appreciate those shows but I wouldn't say they were some of HBO's most memorable originals. HBO still has it, but I am waiting for their next big drama though, I'll with you on that.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Dexter and Man vs. Wild.

Breed1Ghost said:
True Bloods second season was less then steller it really sucked. If the 3rd season is boring like the second then I am done with this show.

The last episode was a bit of a letdown. The main story arc should have been reduced to a secondary one. Season 3 does look a bit dismal given how season 2 ended. Love triangle anyone? Bleh.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I didn't care for The Office special hour episode of Jim and Pams wedding. I thought it was too over the top and just... not all that funny. It had some moments but i think it could have been so much better. Jim an Pam gtting married has been an episiode forshadowed since day 1, it should have been better.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Monster, by Naoki Urasawa

One of my favorite and most recommended manga/anime is going to be airing on the SyFy(stupid name change) channel starting tomorrow, Monday October 12th at 11:00PM and 11:30PM! :isidro:
I've been waiting forever for this to get dubbed, and my dream has finally come true.
Everyone should at least give it a try if you can, and if it gets enough discussion in here, maybe it deserves it's own thread? :troll:
For everyone who's already watched it or read the manga, spoiler tags are your friends. :guts:
It's a long series, at 74 episodes, but it's worth the investment in time, and SyFy will be airing two episodes a night every Monday.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Darklink286 said:
One of my favorite and most recommended manga/anime is going to be airing on the SyFy(stupid name change) channel starting tomorrow, Monday October 12th at 11:00PM and 11:30PM! :isidro:
I've been waiting forever for this to get dubbed, and my dream has finally come true.
Everyone should at least give it a try if you can, and if it gets enough discussion in here, maybe it deserves it's own thread? :troll:
For everyone who's already watched it or read the manga, spoiler tags are your friends. :guts:
It's a long series, at 74 episodes, but it's worth the investment in time, and SyFy will be airing two episodes a night every Monday.

Would you mind telling us the name of that series?

Curb your Enthusiasm
Dexter. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it.
Mythbusters
Hung
True Blood
Fringe

Almost anything on Sci HD.

I hardly watch television any longer. The much applauded True Blood opened in Norway a week ago so I caught the premiere, but I doubt I'm going to follow this. Vampires are just so 1897.

The last series/program that really had me hooked was Carnivàle.

Top Bottom