What are you watching? (television thread)

The Wire: Season 4 (took a hiatus from the series after finished Season 3. I honestly felt that was a good point to finish the series on, but hell, I ain't complaining, I'm loving this series so far).

I've also been catching up on my childhood; treated myself to the entire Batman: Animated Series collection and also got Batman Beyond series 1-3 as well. Really enjoying them both, my personal choices for best animated show ever. I love the dark futuristic setting of Batman Beyond, not seen or heard of any other animated show that does it as well.

And yes, Battlestar Gallactica is excellent.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
The Wire: Season 4 (took a hiatus from the series after finished Season 3. I honestly felt that was a good point to finish the series on, but hell, I ain't complaining, I'm loving this series so far)
Season 5 is fantastic.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
It's one of the best TV shows I've seen.

I'll add that one to my Blu-ray wishlist then. I've heard nothing but good things and am eager to see what all the fuss is about. :serpico:

By the way, is Firefly worth picking up, as well?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I'll add that one to my Blu-ray wishlist then. I've heard nothing but good things and am eager to see what all the fuss is about. :serpico:

By the way, is Firefly worth picking up, as well?
I bought the entire series (well, all 1 season!) for $10. It was definitely worth it. A great show that ended well before its time.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Definitely pick up Firefly and its follow-up movie, Serenity. Character-driven sci-fi at its finest.

Oh, and, Ah yes, the "Reapers". :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyone watch that show I Survived, or something like that. I happened to watch an episode the other day and it was pretty intense. Then my friend and I watched some of her shows and it was like Intervention and Hoarders. Actually not as bad as I thought. I don't think I'd ever sit and watch this stuff on my own, but it wasn't that bad on the occasion that I was being forced (guess she got tired of Batman-The animated series)

Been watching Chopped on the Food Network as I patiently wait to boink my woman. :mozgus:
Mostly I've found I love Discovery and Nat-Geo.

Oh, lots of Dr. Who and I'm about to begin season 1 of House.

...But I did watch an episode of Ru Paul's Dragrace with my mother a few nights ago. It was a very strange experience. :magni:

I watched seasons 1 through 3 of Battlestar Galactica these past few weeks, and some episodes of the fourth.
It's been hard for me to swallow these four new cylons. It almost feels like the show jumped the shark by doing this... I mean, Col. Tigh?
Great show, and the songs are fantastic.

Ah, so many series I need to watch! I didn't really watched TV until rather recently.

Caught up with Supernatural and really enjoyed Firefly, still need to watch Serenity though. And I saw the first episode of Lost just the other day.

Fringe, Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica (love the OST), Oz and Shield, are among the ones on my ridiculously long to-do list... Will be referencing this thread when the time comes to seek out more series. :D

Oburi

All praise Grail
thepacific1e.jpg

thepacific1b.jpg

Can't wait for this. Starts on Sunday on HBO. I am a huge fan of Band Of Brothers, in fact I re-watching the series to get pumped up for this one. Anyone else going to watch this with me?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I liked Band of Brothers too, but Ill wait to hear if this one's worth it. As a follow-up, the potential for it to suck is increased.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just watched part 1 of The Pacific. Very, very well done. It's very different than Band Of Brothers though, but I think that's a good thing, makes it seem more like it's own series and not just more of the same. Anyway, it seems a little rougher, and the new group isn't as innocent as the fellas in BoB were. While still maintaining a high level of respect and accuracy, there was way more cursing and racial remarks in this first part than in most BoB parts put together. Darker and grittier seems to be how this series is going to be. And I do like the new cast, though I know many of the main characters are introduced later in the series, but from what I did see they were great. Very impressed by the first episode, and admittedly way more intriguing than how BoB first started.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Watched episode 1 of The Pacific. [watched it online]

It's good but it's no BOB. I hated the little history lesson with Tom Hanks, I already knew a lot of the history and if someone didn't know anything about it, I feel they can go look it up.

As far as who is more innocent or what not, this group is a lot more naive. The guys in Easy Company in comparison seemed far more mature and level headed.

For the episode it's self. I didn't like the beginning of it.
Seeing all of the character's back home made the first episode feel like it was trying to indirectly copy the BOB, while at the same time not copy the show.
Overall, there's a lot for this show to live up to and I don't think more violence and trying to be grittier is going to work for every episode.

Now to wait till next week.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The new season of South Park has been fantastic so far and The Office continues to make me laugh. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:
The new season of South Park has been fantastic so far and The Office continues to make me laugh. :guts:

I'm with you on that one. Though I didn't like the premier episode of South Park, the others were totally hilarious.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
I'm with you on that one. Though I didn't like the premier episode of South Park, the others were totally hilarious.

I dunno man, the alien wizard thing was pretty goddamn funny.

Well the last few weeks I've been keeping up with the show Spartacus. It kinda has to go with out saying that you have to put aside the "ugh" first impression because the blatant "300" feel. The shows finale was this past weekend. I got to say the show was very satisfying, especially the finale. It wasn't bad at all for what it was IMO. I'm glad I put the effort to sit through it. It was nice to get into something new again. These days doesn't seem like I have the will to take chances on shows so often. Although, my roommate is now trying to drag me into watching a show I never heard of called "Doll House." We'll see how that goes.

Death May Die said:
[...] Although, my roommate is now trying to drag me into watching a show I never heard of called "Doll House." We'll see how that goes.

I haven't seen 'Dollhouse' yet, but as its a show by Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) I will eventually get round to watching it as well.

I've mostly been watching the new season of South Park (I missed most of the last few seasons). I'll probably go back and watch the whole series from the beginning to catch up. It shouldn't take too long. :iva:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I really want to see Spartacus. Looks like the same style as 300. I don't get that channel but I may buy the season on dvd when its available. The trailer looked sick!
And yes the new season of south park is great. The last episode was great too! And part 2 will be on wensday. Can't wait! I think this is the second to last season too.

NightCrawler said:
Someone's talking about Monster. I've sat through the whole thing one year ago. Here's my review:

The story has amazing elements that could've turned the series into a masterpiece if it wasn't handled by a self-indulgent, moralistic author. There's an annoying necessity to explain every single thing with a moral behind it, specially in the later episodes, where the viewer is fed with repetitive unecessary explanations for actions that seemed thrilling and misterious in the premise.
What made me scornful of the series was the fact that a mystery/noir supernatural thriller gradually was turned into some moralistic "Disney" story where every act of evil needs to be justified and explained, where villains had to do evil "because they had to" so that the average viewer feels more comfortable knowing there is no such thing as "pure evil" and everyone if you look deep enough has a good heart. That is the apparent message that the series tries - not with much success - to hide behind it's "dark" and "gritty" mask, easy to fool the ignorant and easy to impress viewer. The characters were well fleshed out but the story started to loose its "bigger than life" motif towards the end. It got even cheaper in the conclusion, that frankly, was lame and unconvincing.
I was disappointed because i really wanted to enjoy it. It had a great start, but the author kept thinking i was a dumb viewer and i needed further more non-intriguing exposition. It was a boring summer, and i didn't have better plans. :schnoz:
Pretty much agreed on all accounts.

But it was still better than 20th Century Boys... That one was basically Lost in manga form, except with laughably superficial studies of the human nature (sometimes, we're gullible! or egotistical!) instead of laughably superficial couples/triangles/squares...
OK, that may be a bit harsh... Urasawa obviously had a plan for the first half-dozen of volumes. But after that, holy shit at the ridiculous nonsense...
"Intriguing, isn't it? Keep buying my stuff! [...] What do you mean, you expected answers? Ah, but all that mystery stuff wasn't what really mattered! Why would you think otherwise?! Thanks for the money though!"

Aazealh said:
Urasawa is easily one of the best mangaka out there.
Ow. Really?

But wait, that's off-topic...

Oh, I know: I'm re-watching Aoi Hana, and it's still good. Let's hope they won't fuck up with the Hôrô Musuko TV series, now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
Ow. Really?

Yeah, I'd say so. The guys over at the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize seem to agree with me too. :iva: That being said, I didn't watch any of the TV adaptations of his books, and I haven't been closely following 20th Century Boys (I think I read it up to volume 10 or so, was a while back).

Top Bottom