What are you watching? (television thread)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
If the Bruins win the Stan Lee cup this year I'm going to die from happiness.
Has Marvel Comics invaded the NHL? Is nothing sacred?! Stay tuned true believers!!!

Hannibal's season finale comes up this week, the build up to it has been pretty good, glad it's picked up for another season. Sunday will also be the last episode of Mad Men, this one's been better season than 5. I think there's some time before Dexter starts, so I'll use it to check out West Wing.

Anyone else watching Family Tree? It's got the guy from The IT Crowd which's what piqued my curiosity. It's a warm, light humored show 4 or 5 episodes in ... synopsis - Centers on 30-year-old Tom Chadwick who, after losing his job and his girlfriend, begins exploring his family heritage after inheriting a mysterious box from a great aunt he never met. Unsure of his identity, he uncovers a world of unusual stories and characters as well as a growing sense of who he and his real family are.

Finale was indeed EXCELLENT, when the credits rolled I yelped a "NOO" because I thought time flew real quick and wasn't expecting it to end. Cool under-rated show with substance, flair and a lot of dark under-tones.
A lot of things came full circle like that one time Hannibal helped with Will's fish-lure's and how he eventually gradually set him up. Will falls in the same spot Hobbs did, mutters the same words and finally sees what I think he's been suspecting all this time because he's been seeing that stag at various stages, hinting that he knew it was all connected and could speculate his suspicions over Hannibal. I liked how the episode tied that in and you see Hannibal smile in the end with Will behind bars. Who caught who?! Du Maurier sees Hannibal's pattern which is remarkable and I'm really curious about what she saw when he saved her, but now, having said that to Hannibal, how will Hannibal proceed ... will he kill her at the expense of losing another friend? He doesn't have a lot of friends.
I don't own a lot of series on DVD/ BR but I'm picking this up.

Did anyone watch the NBA game last night? I thought it was close up until the 4th quarter. That one pass Lebron made to a guy swimming on court was hilarious to watch.

S2 of The Newsroom premiered over the weekend, thought it was a decent start. I'm more curious about how they'll cover that whole Occupy Wall Street incident.

An episode shy of finishing S1 of The West Wing. So far so good, it's pretty smart. Favorite character - Toby.

Is anyone watching Rectify ? It's the first time after The Wire and Sherlock that i enjoy a TV series this much. I love the passing, the soundtrack, the story. I can't recommend this show enough.

^ looks interesting, I'll check it out over the weekend.

Anyone check the first episode of Low Winter Sun yet? Too soon to tell if it's gonna be good ... it's dark, promising, Mark Strong's cool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QdWAYnkuF8c

^ it's a lot of fun.

With only 4 episodes left, Dexter's last and final season is meandering and unfocused. No build-up of a tense scenario or anything like Breaking Bad plus it's easy to compare the two when they air on the same night! Big difference between the two as far as the show's intensity and depth in writing's concerned. I just want those 4 episodes quick, so I can be done with the show.

I thought I had watched until somewhere in the middle of Spartacus before stopping but I had stopped at episode 1. Watched up to 5 last night, every episode got better along the way. The gore's intense this season, more room for characters to breathe and it's shaping up for a cool end.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TheBranded1 said:
Started watching " Star Trek" on Netflix. I have only seen a handful of episodes. Now that I can see them all, I will take the chance.
The original series or Next Generation?

Watched the first episode of The Crazy Ones, new Comedy with Robin Williams, Buffy, Bob Benson (Mad Men). Decent only, with a heart warming moment or two. Kelly Clarkson made a guest appearance on the first episode. Going to give it another episode.

First 2 episodes of Agents of Shield. Second was better than the first but plots haven't been interesting enough to keep me vested. Going to skip and wait for a full season's review(s).

Gotta get back on Deadwood. I haven't watched Six Feet Under either.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
IncantatioN said:

First 2 episodes of Agents of Shield. Second was better than the first but plots haven't been interesting enough to keep me vested. Going to skip and wait for a full season's review(s).
At least they did keep Samuel L. Jackson as Fury on the series as well.

IncantatioN said:

Yeah Im having a hard time figuring out the quality of this production, obviously it looks good but as you say its not really that interesting. I´ll probably watch the next episode but if I still dont know what to make of it I´ll probably wait like you. How many episodes will there be btw? I hope there´ll be some more cameos except for Fury. I havent read this part if its based on some comic version but I wonder what Coulson really is, clone of some kind? Weird...

Gotta get back on Deadwood.

Never watched it. How´d you describe it? Can you compare it to any other show/film genre?

I haven't watched Six Feet Under either.

Great acting. Occasionally very good direction/directing. BUT. Very overrated imo. Guess the first season was alright but the rest is just too goddamn depressing (gotta have some sense of balance there, y'know). I finished it only cause everyone was praising it so much so I constantly kept my hopes up.

Oh yeah,
the last scene of the last season finale actually made me a bit melancholic, even though the majority of the show pretty much felt like a waste of time. Very cheap way to end it but I guess it did its job.
<---I wouldnt call it spoiler material but but you never know...

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Deadwood is all kinds of awesome. Basically just hard-cussin brutal nigh-lawless old west with lots of semi and demi-factual cameos. It's loosely based on historical stuffs. Ian McShane, who I have loved for basically ever anyways, has a major role as one of the guys scheming to stay on top as the town rakes in gold and becomes more infamous. Generally everyone in it is awesome and the writing is great.

Now, the cussin is modern cussin, not period cussin; the writers explain that the period cussin the real townspeople used was, for its time, gonna make your ears fall off, so to evoke that effect for the modern audience everybody going shit damn fuck all the fuckin time.

I usually just watch the first two seasons though cause the third season depressses meeeeee

I've really gotten into Hell on Wheels just within the last month, I finished season 2 just as season 3 was wrapping up so I'll have to wait on Netflix for the rest. Maybe now I'll finally sit down and watch Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Came across two potentially good tv shows coming soon.

True Detective - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roiKrE5KLbk

"The lives of two detectives, Rust Cohle and Martin Hart, become entangled during a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana." Starring McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

The Spoils of Babylon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGEg4evHMY

And then there's news of Marvel teaming up with Netflix to come out with new TV shows - http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/11/07/marvel-netflix-superhero-series/3469777/

.... While Marvel Studios is beginning to move to the stars with its superhero movies, its TV counterpart is focusing more on being down to Earth.

Disney and Netflix announced a deal Thursday for four 13-episode series featuring Marvel Comics heroes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage that will air on the video-streaming service over multiple years and will lead to a mini-event called The Defenders.

I just watched the latest episode of South Park. Though the series is long past its prime and very uneven in quality, this last episode was actually pretty good. It was a Game of Thrones style episode about preparing for the upcoming Black Friday bloodbath. Hopefully, it won't tease every single major battle for 30+ hours.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I just watched the latest episode of South Park. Though the series is long past its prime and very uneven in quality, this last episode was actually pretty good. It was a Game of Thrones style episode about preparing for the upcoming Black Friday bloodbath. Hopefully, it won't tease every single major battle for 30+ hours.

While I missed last nights episode, the episode before that about the ginger cow creating peace in the middle east was incredibly funny. I was laughing way too hard at the real footage of middle east protests made to look like they were rocking out to a Van Halen concert. "HEY HEY HEY"!!!

New season of Shah's Of Sunset is shaping pretty good haha.
Lily's showdown with MJ at dinner was badass. What's up with Lily's brother's voice!?! I re-watched that whole dinner just for the hilarity of what he was saying. Smart fellow. Mike - Reza ... there's something brewing and it's going to get to a boiling point by the end of the season me thinks. I think John or whatever his name is and Reza might go through that same cycle, Reza's vicious. What's up with Mike hooking up with GG's sister?! I feel like they might've hinted at that earlier in the show or maybe I missed it? But yeah, I think it would be sweet if they hooked up again but that's not gonna happen : p ...

Johnstantine said:
Young Justice.

I liked Season 1. Does it get better?

Top Bottom