What are you watching? (television thread)

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
The Alt-Right (if that is the right term) is apparently trying to hijack the fan base and i can´t say that i am happy about all the fake drama Star Trek Discovery is getting. The pilot was a bit too in media-res and the lack of development for the charters who were only in ep.1+2 is noticeable but ep.2 was already a step up. Ep.3 then completely comes together and is not only great Sci-Fi it´s also immortally recognizable as Trek. Sure, it has the DS9 grit turned to 11 but that was the best one anyway. Who knows if it needs the TV-MA on a creative level but the gore sure looked stylish.

The Orville is further rubbish yet the same drama STD is getting is trying to lift it up as "real" Trek. Yeah whatever, the ratings have spoken.

I finally watched Rick and Morty, I think I have 2 or 3 episodes left to watch in Season 3. The show RULES. Poor, poor Jerry ... I feel for the guy sometimes. Rick is star of the show, sliding in dark truths here n there.

Finally got around to binging the second season of Attack on Titan. Hard to believe it took so long, I started university while the first season was wrapping up and was just about to graduate when this season started.

Now I've started back watching Rose of Versailles.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
I finally watched Rick and Morty, I think I have 2 or 3 episodes left to watch in Season 3. The show RULES. Poor, poor Jerry ... I feel for the guy sometimes. Rick is star of the show, sliding in dark truths here n there.

Avoid the fanbase for the most part. It's toxic as hell and kind of ruins the show.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
Avoid the fanbase for the most part. It's toxic as hell and kind of ruins the show.

Also avoid the comments like this in every Rick & Morty discussion, and I've seen it almost verbatim several times in just regular articles on the show, that also kind of attempts to ruin the show. What the hell are Rick & Morty fans doing out there to get this reputation anyway, short of actually killing people? If toxic fanbases ruined things we'd have to quit all TV, sports, movies, and AHEM, video games. :carcus: Plus politics and humanity in general.

Better yet, just avoid fanbases altogether... present company excluded, of course. :slan:

Griffith

Sareth said:
Throwing tantrums at McDonald's over a dipping sauce.

Yeah, I saw that, but that's just stupid and obnoxious. Worse would be the bitching about/attacking the shows women writers, but I'm still failing to see the distinction between them and... The Internet? Anyway, I'm not defending them or saying they aren't terrible (I can definitely see how a bunch of Rick wannabes could be a problem), but it's just that I only ever hear the secondhand backlash which makes my natural skepticism kick in so it seems more like a Rick & Morty meme than them actually being exceptionally worse than all the other obnoxious or toxic fanbases online.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I acknowledge this will make me sound like an old man, but is Rick & Morty from the same mind as House of Cosbys?

Griffith

Walter said:
I acknowledge this will make me sound like an old man, but is Rick & Morty from the same mind as House of Cosbys?

Yup! But not old, just astute. As a matter of fact, Rick & Morty's Internet precursor, a takeoff on Back to the Future's Doc and Marty, is a direct result of the legal trouble House of Cosby's faced and basically a big fuck you to Universal in the form of a cartoon about Doc Brown finding different pretexts to get Marty McFly to lick his balls. :ganishka:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Finished The Leftovers. Wish I could say I enjoyed it as much as I did the first few episodes, but Christ almighty it had some glaring issues that I feel like most people who liked it are overlooking.

I'm pretty curious to hit up

- The Terror because of the cast and well ... the trailer sells that desolate landscape or atmosphere pretty well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l328p5sSEmc
- Corporate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_H8xcqy4Vc

Lost In Space was ... a complete waste of my time. Had I known it was garbage, I wouldn't have checked it out. You could watch the first 2 episodes, jump right to the last episode and you wouldn't miss a thing. And, it's still not going to redeem the bad story telling or character shifts that happen in the first season. Production wise - great. The writing however, sloppy as hell and while I can understand the purpose of corny stuff here n there, the show simplifies AI a lot and the way the story shifts just doesn't make sense. Maybe this was written for kids as a 'family show'. Speaking of, it was momentous every week to sit on the dining table and watch The X-Files week after week ... moments of awe, terror and cool weird sci fi that sometimes didn't make sense at all (haha!). But this's also when the internet wasn't big and I didn't have access to shows/ world events/ information as freely as kids would have today. I can't imagine anyone in their teens being excited about this new Lost In Space.

Has anyone checked out Altered Carbon yet? That's another one I was meaning to check out.

Got caught up on Vikings recently. It doesn't give off the best first impression, but it's one of those shows that grow on you the more you watch it. Despite the first season being rather weak, I really like the writing, and the way it manages to introduce people to Norse history and sagas in an easily digestible way.

One other thing that sets it apart for me is Travis Fimmel's acting. I don't know what it is about this guy, he comes from a farmer's family, and is a pretty simple, straight forward dude, in fact he didn't even plan on acting, he got into it by chance, and he admitted that it's not really a passion to him, he's more in it for sustenance, but damnit, does he act good. He plays the main character Ragnar Lodbrok, and so far he's made him not only believable, but also unique as far as modern television characters go. The life and idiosyncrasy he gives to this character are impressive, truly. I don't think someone else, with a different personality than his could pull it off.

If you're like me and skipped on this show when it first aired, but are thinking to yourself "this looks like Viking Game of Thrones", I suggest to give a try, it's different, better choreographed and better in many other ways than GoT.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
New Lost In Space: Yeah, agree. I remember being quite fond of the 60s one, especially Doctor Smith. This Doctor Smith is so relentlessly and non-amusingly irredeemable that it wasn't long before the whole family was just going 'ugh!!' every time the story went back to her. We actually stopped watching because having her on our TV was such an unpleasant experience, and the rest of the show wasn't nearly good enough to be worth slogging through.

Westworld concluded season 2 this past Sunday and it was a hot mess of an episode - pacing, story. Season 1 was generally better for pacing, intrigue and keeping me interested/ invested in the show. Just when you think it should give you some closure, it opens that door for you for only a few characters but also creates more questions for the rest so they can add more and more content to it. I'd rather have a show that's 1 or 2 seasons (or anything definitive) and that's it. In terms of story arcs, I didn't care much for Maeve's or Dolores' post awakening arcs.

Almost caught up with S2 of The Handmaid's Tale which I believe ends this week.

Need to get on S3 of The Expanse soon.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
Season 2 of Netflix’s Castlevania has been announced for October 26

Hmm, I thought they were going to release the "other half" of Season 1 first, since that was such a short stint (4 eps), but it seems that the next batch is just "Season 2." Oh well, I'll definitely watch it when it's out.

Walter said:
Hmm, I thought they were going to release the "other half" of Season 1 first, since that was such a short stint (4 eps), but it seems that the next batch is just "Season 2." Oh well, I'll definitely watch it when it's out.

Supposedly only 4 episodes were done initially to test things out. Season 2 will have 8 episodes, and Richard Armitage revealed that they are recording for a 3rd season. I'm guessing the whole series will come out to be 20 episodes.

I'm in the middle of a documentary series on Netflix called The Staircase that's a bit similar to Making A Murderer. It's fascinating to watch this trial and all the roadblocks the defense has to address when they're relying on science to prove their case, while the opposition relies on a missing murder weapon and the sexuality of the accused. Plus the environment of where the trial takes place and what the jury would ultimate fixate on in their decision. On episode 7 and towards the end of the trial. I've tried hard not to Google the outcome because the documentary doesn't move quickly. It feels long and there are moments I feel as if the story doesn't progress as much (in terms of new evidence or developments).

I discussed the show with a few friends, who recommended I watch Evil Genius next.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
It feels long and there are moments I feel as if the story doesn't progress as much (in terms of new evidence or developments).

So you're saying it's a Netflix show then? :ganishka:

Currently watching the Expanse and I'm mostly enjoying it. The 1st season drew me in and the first 3/4 of season 2 kept me in, but the last parts of season 2 just had awful pacing. Season 3 has started out well enough so far and hopefully it stays like that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
N7Paladin said:
Currently watching the Expanse and I'm mostly enjoying it. The 1st season drew me in and the first 3/4 of season 2 kept me in, but the last parts of season 2 just had awful pacing. Season 3 has started out well enough so far and hopefully it stays like that.

Season 2 completely sunk my interest in that show, I'm sorry to say. It's a shame, because it started out promising. The first half of the first season is some of the best scifi I've seen on TV recently. Then the "SciFy" nature of things caught up to it in Season 2. Whew, what a stinker! :ganishka:

IncantatioN said:
Westworld concluded season 2 this past Sunday and it was a hot mess of an episode - pacing, story. Season 1 was generally better for pacing, intrigue and keeping me interested/ invested in the show. Just when you think it should give you some closure, it opens that door for you for only a few characters but also creates more questions for the rest so they can add more and more content to it. I'd rather have a show that's 1 or 2 seasons (or anything definitive) and that's it. In terms of story arcs, I didn't care much for Maeve's or Dolores' post awakening arcs.

I absolutely loved Season 1. The fact that Forde semiii have a hand in Maeve's plan made her arc work a little better, though what a coincidence she just happened to come across the most spineless lab techs ever.
But then season 2 comes around and just throws retcons all over the place. When they went to Shogun World (something that sounded really cool) and it was literally just a carbon copy of Westworld, I almost completely lost interest. The last great thing to me was the Man in Black's flashback stuff.

Top Bottom