What are you watching? (television thread)

The Last Dance got off to a good start. I watched the first two episodes one after the other and I’m already looking forward to watching the next one.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The Last Dance got off to a good start. I watched the first two episodes one after the other and I’m already looking forward to watching the next one.

This final Bulls run was the season that basically got me into basketball. I was sick and stuck inside for weeks and had nothing else to watch but... Michael Jordan, to whom I at least partially credit my recovery. Hmmm, sounds familar, maybe I'll check this out. =)

I just have to share this here. This guy nails it.

I don't know if I can handle the pain of dissecting all that's gone wrong with this series. It'll be like that Newt autopsy scene from Alien 3. Also, because I still haven't learned yet, I am curious to see Dark Fate since Cameron was actually involved and all, which is all I wanted (but as Ridley Scott's return to Alien shows, be careful what you wish for).

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't know if I can handle the pain of dissecting all that's gone wrong with this series. It'll be like that Newt autopsy scene from Alien 3. Also, because I still haven't learned yet, I am curious to see Dark Fate since Cameron was actually involved and all, which is all I wanted (but as Ridley Scott's return to Alien shows, be careful what you wish for).

The irony being that what Cameron critisized Alien 3 for is pretty much what he did with Dark Fate. By the way, I haven't seen any new Terminator related movie since I saw Terminator 3 in theaters when it first came out. But I hope you watch that video regardless because if you revealed that it was secretly you're channel all along, I wouldn't be surprised.:guts:

Griffith

Oh man, if you liked season one, then you will hopefully love season 2 because I think it will have everything you are hoping for and much more haha.

This is true, but maybe a little TOO MUCH more the second half of season 2. I'm three episodes out from the end of 2 and actually think I prefer the first season because it's become so untethered from reality, but that's Hannibal's world I guess. Basically it peaked for me with the framing of Chilton, and since then, Will & Hannibal teaming up, robot cave bears, Will essentially becoming a willing murderer and cannibal, the Vergers shoehorned in, the weird sex stuff... It's like it jumped the shark in the span of a couple of episodes! Now, that said, my theory and belief is this is actually all Will undercover out-Hannibaling Hannibal, he and Jack are in on it, Lounds is now in on it and hiding, and he's just luring Hannibal into the catch, even if it means intentionally eating a bad guy here and there.

Update: OMG! Episode 11's recap adds two new pieces of information; Margot is trying to get pregnant by Will and Hannibal knows, and Alana says Lounds was writing a story on them killing together, which she totally did NOT say in the scene before! That's some GoT season 8 major no-nos right there!

The irony being that what Cameron critisized Alien 3 for is pretty much what he did with Dark Fate.

Yeah, I wouldn't even have a problem with it in this case except they basically borrowed the T3 course-correcting timeline bullshit, which is a shitty concept in general.

By the way, I haven't seen any new Terminator related movie since I saw Terminator 3 in theaters when it first came out.

Unless you just mean at initial theatrical release, I know for a fact you saw Terminator Salvation because you tore it to pieces on here (I re-read the reviews here after seeing it last year =)! Sadly, unless Dark Fate is more than decent, Salvation may be the best Terminator movie since T2. :sad:

But I hope you watch that video regardless because if you revealed that it was secretly you're channel all along, I wouldn't be surprised.:guts:

Thanks...? Looks like a really cool guy, like me. :badbone:

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Unless you just mean at initial theatrical release, I know for a fact you saw Terminator Salvation because you tore it to pieces on here (I re-read the reviews here after seeing it last year =)! Sadly, unless Dark Fate is more than decent, Salvation may be the best Terminator movie since T2. :sad:

You know what's funny? As I was typing I was unsure about actually having seen Salvation or if it was just images from the trailer bouncing around in my head. Lol. I guess that's a better review for the movie than anything I could have said at the time (and probably better said as well. Cringe).

Thanks...? Looks like a really cool guy, like me. :badbone:

Yea, I meant that to be complementary. His spoken reviews really remind me of your written ones. Though, he doesn't quite have your penchant for sardonic wit. :guts:

Wait, yes he does

This final Bulls run was the season that basically got me into basketball. I was sick and stuck inside for weeks and had nothing else to watch but... Michael Jordan, to whom I at least partially credit my recovery. Hmmm, sounds familar, maybe I'll check this out. =)

I think you should watch the doc! I'd be very interested in reading your thoughts on it. The show has already shown me that I didn't know as much about the Bulls as I thought I did. :farnese:

The first season I paid attention to the NBA was when the Bulls won their first title. The sport of choice at my school back then was basketball and most kids followed the league. I even collected trading cards that season:

nba_hoops.jpg

For many years I was missing two cards: Isaiah Thomas and Magic Johnson, but a friend gave me the first one at some point and I bought the second one off Amazon last year, so the series is finally complete. :badbone:

Sadly, unless Dark Fate is more than decent, Salvation may be the best Terminator movie since T2. :sad:

I'm not sure I would say that Dark Fate is more than decent, but I thought it was a good time at the movies. I also thought that Schwarzenegger was the MVP, so I would recommend giving the movie a chance if only for him.

Griffith

I think you should watch the doc! I'd be very interested in reading your thoughts on it. The show has already shown me that I didn't know as much about the Bulls as I thought I did. :farnese:

Well, it's definitely on my radar. I'm happy that Jordan and that generation is getting a little modern exposure because I feel like people are forgetting it and just how dominant he was. That's basically the equivalent of what 70s basketball was to me for the younger fans today. Hell, even LeBron is an oldhead now!

The first season I paid attention to the NBA was when the Bulls won their first title. The sport of choice at my school back then was basketball and most kids followed the league. I even collected trading cards that season:

Me too, actually. At least it was the first time I was aware of it, because MJ vs. Magic! Then Jordan was ubiquitous with the sport or it was big events like Magic going into and out of retirement, Jordan too with baseball, Shaq, and of course the '96 Bulls and The Last Dance. After that Jordan retired and it was all about Shaq & Kobe (still can't believe he's dead, and that even that feels like a lifetime ago now).

For many years I was missing two cards: Isaiah Thomas and Magic Johnson, but a friend gave me the first one at some point and I bought the second one off Amazon last year, so the series is finally complete. :badbone:

Haha, I didn't collect sports cards but this totally reminds me of my Marvel card collections (especially X-Men and Wolverine). I'm sure those complete Marvel Masterpiece sets will fetch a fine price at auction, that is if I don't loan them to a museum instead. :carcus:

I'm not sure I would say that Dark Fate is more than decent, but I thought it was a good time at the movies. I also thought that Schwarzenegger was the MVP, so I would recommend giving the movie a chance if only for him.

Well damn, this movie continues to be hard to get a read on; no more than decent, but a good time...? I'm happy to hear Arnold is good though. I think my perception and expectations of Arnold's dramatic acting abilities is probably skewed by a childhood and adolescence full of his movies. Back when Red Dragon came out I actually thought he should have been cast as the title character, which seems insane to me now (though Ralph Fiennes, while a fine actor, is still physically inappropriate for the part). Maybe Stallone doing gross Rambo wails would have been perfect. =)

Speaking of Rambo, I was supposed to watch the most recent one last night but I fell asleep prematurely on the couch. I have no expectations but I'm rooting for Sly! I'm always rooting for Arnold and Sly. Contraaaaaaaaaaa.

I agree with m about Dark Fate. Arnold still 'has it' and makes it worth a watch - for whatever it's worth. Skip thoughts about plot holes or the storytelling or similarities between earlier movies and let yourself in. It also helped that I had very low expectations for it the minute we learned Cameron was not going to direct it. And especially after seeing his treatment of Alita, from a story perspective, put a cautionary mental note of what to expect for Dark Fate.

Well, it's definitely on my radar. I'm happy that Jordan and that generation is getting a little modern exposure because I feel like people are forgetting it and just how dominant he was. That's basically the equivalent of what 70s basketball was to me for the younger fans today. Hell, even LeBron is an oldhead now!

Agreed.

For me personally, the release of the doc couldn't have come at a better time, because for the past year or so I've been watching videos of that era, so much so that it's pretty much all that YouTube recommends me nowadays. :ganishka: I also found some docs that I hadn't watched before such as ESPN's Winning Time: Miller vs. The Knicks.

Me too, actually. At least it was the first time I was aware of it, because MJ vs. Magic! Then Jordan was ubiquitous with the sport or it was big events like Magic going into and out of retirement, Jordan too with baseball, Shaq, and of course the '96 Bulls and The Last Dance. After that Jordan retired and it was all about Shaq & Kobe (still can't believe he's dead, and that even that feels like a lifetime ago now).

This whole period, from The Bulls' first tittle to Shaq and Kobe's run, was the period when I followed the league more closely. It would never be the same for me after that, for one reason or another.

Kobe's death feels unreal, for sure. He was just basically starting his life after basketball and it seemed as though he had all the time in the world to enjoy it. When my sister shared the news of his death with me I didn't believe her at first, it felt impossible.

Haha, I didn't collect sports cards but this totally reminds me of my Marvel card collections (especially X-Men and Wolverine). I'm sure those complete Marvel Masterpiece sets will fetch a fine price at auction, that is if I don't loan them to a museum instead. :carcus:

Nice! You know, loaning the collection to a museum is quite a good idea. I don't plan on parting with my cards any time soon, but I know that it will happen at some point and I've always thought that selling them was the obvious choice (though I don't think they are very valuable). Having said that, I'd probably prefer giving them to someone who would appreciate them.

Well damn, this movie continues to be hard to get a read on; no more than decent, but a good time...? I'm happy to hear Arnold is good though. I think my perception and expectations of Arnold's dramatic acting abilities is probably skewed by a childhood and adolescence full of his movies. Back when Red Dragon came out I actually thought he should have been cast as the title character, which seems insane to me now (though Ralph Fiennes, while a fine actor, is still physically inappropriate for the part). Maybe Stallone doing gross Rambo wails would have been perfect. =)

Let's put it this way, if I had to watch a Terminator movie tonight, my picking order would be T1, T2, Dark Fate, T3 and after that I would just flip a coin, as I remember less than Oburi about to Salvation and I don't remember Genysis either. Also, I think Incantation's suggested approach for the movie is the right one.

Regarding Arnold's acting chops, did you watch Maggie? If so, what did you think of his performance? I remember quite liking it. Also regarding Arnold, the movie of his that I've watched the most is Kindergarten Cop. For reasons I can't quite pinpoint, I must have watched that movie about a dozen times, the most recent time just a few months ago (I was flipping through channels and I saw it was starting and I ended up watching the whole thing)

Griffith

This whole period, from The Bulls' first tittle to Shaq and Kobe's run, was the period when I followed the league more closely. It would never be the same for me after that, for one reason or another.

Same here, after the Chris Paul trade veto, which I never forgave Stern for, and all the bad shit that went down before and after that I just haven't been as invested in the league overall. Last really memorable thing was LeBron's battles with the Warriors, but KD and constant player movement ruined it all. =)

Kobe's death feels unreal, for sure. He was just basically starting his life after basketball and it seemed as though he had all the time in the world to enjoy it. When my sister shared the news of his death with me I didn't believe her at first, it felt impossible.

Was definitely surreal, like during his career this guy was striving as hard as anybody his against mortality and then dies randomly in a freak accident. Knowing him you'd expect he'd inexplicably survive somehow.

Let's put it this way, if I had to watch a Terminator movie tonight, my picking order would be T1, T2, Dark Fate, T3 and after that I would just flip a coin, as I remember less than Oburi about to Salvation and I don't remember Genysis either. Also, I think Incantation's suggested approach for the movie is the right one.

Well, my order would be T2, T1, Salvation, T3 (with beer and for pure entertainment reasons this one might leapfrog Salvation in a "what to watch" contest), and I never saw Genysis and don't ever plan to. So if Dark Fate can establish itself as the clear number three and separate from the pack, I'd probably be happy.

Regarding Arnold's acting chops, did you watch Maggie? If so, what did you think of his performance? I remember quite liking it. Also regarding Arnold, the movie of his that I've watched the most is Kindergarten Cop. For reasons I can't quite pinpoint, I must have watched that movie about a dozen times, the most recent time just a few months ago (I was flipping through channels and I saw it was starting and I ended up watching the whole thing)

I didn't but heard good things, and I kind of consider him retired and really only care if he does another Conan now.

I have to say, after the relative doldrums of the second half of Hannibal season 2, which in part stemmed from the fact I thought I knew where it was going, the finale and beginning of season 3 got me right back on board! The season 2 finale was great and not at all what I was expecting, so that was nice.

I thought for sure they were going to have Hannibal caught by the end of the season, paralleling the end of season 1 with Will, and then do some version of Red Dragon in season 3. So this colored my perception of the second half of the season, as I thought I already had it figured and was underwhelmed, but happy to be wrong!

Last edited:
Reactions: m

I liked Maggie and thought he was pretty good in it. I also liked Aftermath, although it bombed. Both films showed him emoting in a different way ... with less words, poignantly and I appreciated it more because it wasn't the typical Arnold movie we used to.

EDIT:

Finished S4 of Halt and Catch Fire last night and it's a show I'm surprised I don't see people talk about. From a concept perspective, it's fresh and goes through the 80's and 90's, taking you through innovation in IT (personal computer/
internet/ video games/ browser wars
). The 5 or 6 main characters work well with their varied personalities. A marketing guy with a vision drives an engineer to push through roadblocks that may not seem possible at the time, to make things work somehow ... or fail. So the journey has ups and downs - which makes it interesting. S2 dipped because of how good S1 was, but it picks up mid season and the last 2 seasons were consistent. If you're looking for a show to binge, try this. It's good for a casual watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: m

Oburi

All praise Grail
I've been watching a lot movies lately, as I imagine a lot of others are. Some were movies I might normally have skipped so I'll give em a shout. I watched Underwater yesterday and thought it was pretty good. Decent Lovecraftian type horror story. The underwater facility sets and deep sea dive suites are impressive and look gorgeous and I really like how practical it all was. Unfortunately, whenever there's an actual underwater scene the movie suddenly looks like a video game. This is a more general complaint about the state of how big Hollywood movies are made today and the over reliance on CGI. Underwater is a good example of how a movie can look so great when the filmmakers decide to shoot practically and the jarring shift when things suddenly go CGI overboard. It's ironic that something like The Abyss, which was made decades ago, still has amazing underwater visuals that look far better than 2019's Underwater and yet the early CGI used in The Abyss also holds up nicely do to the simplistic nature in the way it was used. I think that demonstrates how movies these days don't hold up over time (CGI usually ages like milk) and therefore there's little chance of special effects driven movies becoming true classics in 10, 20, 30 years despite being well made in every other respect. Ok, I'm ranting here. But it just sucks to see so many otherwise decent movies plagued by this problem. Anyway, Underwater is still enjoyable and I would recommend it. Only other small complaint is that I wish they cast the movie a little older. All the actors are fine but it's a state of the art, futuristic underwater facility and yet it seems like most of the people that work there are better suited for a Friday the 13th movie. Can you imagine a movie taking place on the ISS and all the astronauts are mid 20's? Ehhh.

I also watched a movie called Crawl which is essentially a monster movie about killer alligators. I probably wouldn't have watched this but I read that Tarantino said it was his favorite movie of the year so I gave it a shot and it was actually pretty fucking good. It's only 90 minutes but it didn't even feel that long. It flew by, which is a good sign I think. And it makes no pretensions about being anything other than what it is. There's really only two main characters in one location and they pretty much ... yea crawl through the whole thing. One of those characters is Barry Pepper, an actor I always love seeing when he pops up here and there. As usual, he gives it his all when another actor might ham it up given the material or just not try at all like Bruce Willis in anything recently. So yea it's a pretty sweet movie. Again though, my only complaint would be overuse of the CGI gators. I kept thinking how much scarier this could have been had they used any practical effects for the alligators at all. The CGI isn't bad by any means, but I always feel like full CGI creature effects, especially for real, non alien type creatures just feels too cartoony to take seriously, like a cartoon suddenly attacking live action people. I had the same issue with the bear in The Revanent.

I guess the fact that I don't watch a lot of new movies these days is obvious given the fact that I can't help but complain about CGI all the time, which is a big reason why I don't watch many new movies in the first place. I sound like a grumpy get off my lawn old man but I just can't believe people find this acceptable. I guess it has a lot to do with money. It's not all doom and gloom though because there's still new filmmakers like S. Craig Zahler who are putting out classically awesome movies like Bone Tomahawk, Dragged Across Concrete and Brawl in Cell Block 99.

I've been watching a lot movies lately, as I imagine a lot of others are. Some were movies I might normally have skipped so I'll give em a shout. I watched Underwater yesterday and thought it was pretty good. Decent Lovecraftian type horror story. The underwater facility sets and deep sea dive suites are impressive and look gorgeous and I really like how practical it all was. Unfortunately, whenever there's an actual underwater scene the movie suddenly looks like a video game. This is a more general complaint about the state of how big Hollywood movies are made today and the over reliance on CGI. Underwater is a good example of how a movie can look so great when the filmmakers decide to shoot practically and the jarring shift when things suddenly go CGI overboard. It's ironic that something like The Abyss, which was made decades ago, still has amazing underwater visuals that look far better than 2019's Underwater and yet the early CGI used in The Abyss also holds up nicely do to the simplistic nature in the way it was used. I think that demonstrates how movies these days don't hold up over time (CGI usually ages like milk) and therefore there's little chance of special effects driven movies becoming true classics in 10, 20, 30 years despite being well made in every other respect. Ok, I'm ranting here. But it just sucks to see so many otherwise decent movies plagued by this problem. Anyway, Underwater is still enjoyable and I would recommend it. Only other small complaint is that I wish they cast the movie a little older. All the actors are fine but it's a state of the art, futuristic underwater facility and yet it seems like most of the people that work there are better suited for a Friday the 13th movie. Can you imagine a movie taking place on the ISS and all the astronauts are mid 20's? Ehhh.

Thank you for reminding me about this movie! I heard good things about it when it came out in the States, but I’m not sure it ever came out where I live. I’ll check it out as soon as I can.

I also watched a movie called Crawl which is essentially a monster movie about killer alligators. I probably wouldn't have watched this but I read that Tarantino said it was his favorite movie of the year so I gave it a shot and it was actually pretty fucking good. It's only 90 minutes but it didn't even feel that long. It flew by, which is a good sign I think. And it makes no pretensions about being anything other than what it is. There's really only two main characters in one location and they pretty much ... yea crawl through the whole thing. One of those characters is Barry Pepper, an actor I always love seeing when he pops up here and there. As usual, he gives it his all when another actor might ham it up given the material or just not try at all like Bruce Willis in anything recently. So yea it's a pretty sweet movie. Again though, my only complaint would be overuse of the CGI gators. I kept thinking how much scarier this could have been had they used any practical effects for the alligators at all. The CGI isn't bad by any means, but I always feel like full CGI creature effects, especially for real, non alien type creatures just feels too cartoony to take seriously, like a cartoon suddenly attacking live action people. I had the same issue with the bear in The Revanent.

I agree that this movie is pretty good. When I watched the trailer I didn’t think the movie would be any good, but it is. I only had a problem with a small part towards the end, but it didn’t detract from the experience. I’d definitely recommend it.

I’m currently in the middle of the third season of Community (I’m watching the show for the first time). So far so good, though I don’t think that season two and what I’ve watched of the season three are quite as good as the first one. One thing I really like about the show is how diverse the episodes can be.

I have to say, after the relative doldrums of the second half of Hannibal season 2, which in part stemmed from the fact I thought I knew where it was going, the finale and beginning of season 3 got me right back on board! The season 2 finale was great and not at all what I was expecting, so that was nice.

I thought for sure they were going to have Hannibal caught by the end of the season, paralleling the end of season 1 with Will, and then do some version of Red Dragon in season 3. So this colored my perception of the second half of the season, as I thought I already had it figured and was underwhelmed, but happy to be wrong!

Hell yeah as a Hannibal fan that makes me happy! Season 2 finale is my favorite thing to happen on TV (that's just me though).

Season 3 the fans seem really split on. A lot of people complain about the first half, but I loved it. It's just cool seeing Hannibal free to do his own weird elitist shit for a while. It was what I was hoping to eventually see so I'm glad Fuller delivered on it. Most people, including myself love the second half though.

I hope the series comes back someday, but it does end well enough to close it forever too.

Griffith

Hell yeah as a Hannibal fan that makes me happy! Season 2 finale is my favorite thing to happen on TV (that's just me though).

Yeah, it's probably the best single episode. Great turns, great dialogue, I was floored. Hannibal scorned is pretty fucked up, "But you didn't want it." The cup coming back together, good stuff.

Season 3 the fans seem really split on. A lot of people complain about the first half, but I loved it. It's just cool seeing Hannibal free to do his own weird elitist shit for a while. It was what I was hoping to eventually see so I'm glad Fuller delivered on it.

I can see why people are split, it's BONKERS and becomes more like a comic book or something. The characters are all insane and there are no rules! It's definitely a far cry from the show that started almost like a traditional procedural and became so much more. I still think season 1 is still my favorite (seemingly has better CGI dream and hallucination effects for some reason too), along with the first half of season 2, and then its finale. Actually, the Vergers and other stuff adapted from Hannibal is what bugged me the most. I think the show worked better and was more free doing its own thing outside the established story and kind of got bogged down in adaptation, plus it is jarring how it's all remixed once you start straight up adapting later parts but in the past, etc.

Hannibal is such petty ex getting caught out of spite after Will gives him the Michael banishing Fredo speech, "I don't want to know where you go or what you do." I knew his capture would be underwhelming after all those great escapes, especially setting up Chilton. It's actually why I was down on season 2, assuming it ended that way so they could do Red Dragon in season 3. Well, I was half right.

Most people, including myself love the second half though.

I've only seen the first episode of that arc but it already seems like a whole new show again and definitely seems to have its groove back, though also seems too reliant on the film. I'm once again displeased with Dolarhyde's physique, it looks like they cast him to resemble Ralph Fiennes, not a monster that can lift 400lbs.

I hope the series comes back someday, but it does end well enough to close it forever too.

My wife and I have enjoyed the ride, but are ready to get off! :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My wife and I are making our way through The Larry Sanders Show. Artie may be the greatest character in television history. Rip Torn is so fucking hilarious, he's the highlight of every episode so far.

Oburi

All praise Grail
My wife and I are making our way through The Larry Sanders Show. Artie may be the greatest character in television history. Rip Torn is so fucking hilarious, he's the highlight of every episode so far.
Hey now!
I can't help but rewatch this show every 6-8 months. Ahead of it's time in every way possible. I have to disagree with you though. As great as Artie may be, Hank is definitely the best =) Honestly they're all so great though. And so many great cameos too. The final episode is a doozy. Jim Carrey at his peak.

Griffith

Finished Hannibal, I wasn't too keen on the adaptation of Red Dragon, too derivative of the film version(s), but the show's original departures on top of that where they emphasized Will's and Hannibal's weird relationship was better this half, and I think a pretty good end point. Going any deeper trying to explain them just risks straining believability. It's not supposed to be logical; as Hannibal even admits, his affinity for Will is essentially his weakness. Great final scene between them too. The only other way this partnership could work is if they became wanted vigilantes hunting other killers and... absorbing them, but essentially "saving lives" as Jack would say. And poor Chilton, I'd want the show to come back just to see what else they can put him through. =)

Last edited:
Finished The Morning Show the other night (it's on Apple+ that I didn't know I had access to :farnese:) and sort of powered through it in 2/3 days. Decent at best and mildly entertaining because of the cast - Steve Carrell, Mark Duplass. The show begins with Steve Carrell's character being booted from the morning show he co-hosts with Jennifer Anniston, on allegations of sexual harassment. With a co-host's spot vacant, there's a power struggle on the top and mid-layers to get what they want/ pushing their agenda on the direction of the show. From Steve's character's point of view, he's looking to find ways of redeeming his damaged public image.

Tim Cook: So you're the one!
:ganishka: ... speaking of, I don't get what the need for hopping on the streaming wars was all about if they didn't have a lot of content to begin with. It's the same feeling I get from Disney+, it's a little pointless to get it unless we're into re-watching everything over and over. They do have a Nat Geo portion I haven't explored, hmmmm.

Never Have I Ever is a coming over age rom-dramedy on Netflix that's got a bit of an emotional kicker in the end, so it's not too light. The focus is on an Indian American family and the cultural idiosyncrasies are spot on, so I appreciated it a bit more for them getting it right. We binge watched it this past weekend.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
:ganishka: ... speaking of, I don't get what the need for hopping on the streaming wars was all about if they didn't have a lot of content to begin with. It's the same feeling I get from Disney+, it's a little pointless to get it unless we're into re-watching everything over and over. They do have a Nat Geo portion I haven't explored, hmmmm.

They saw what Netflix was doing, they have their own streaming device (Apple TV), and they have a ton of cash reserves to blow. I understand their incentive, but what ended up happening was that their company values got in the way of their original content aspirations. Apple canned several shows that had already been greenlit once word got around to leadership that they might not be "aspirational" enough. My favorite:

Last year, The Wall Street Journal reported that Tim Cook made the call to cancel a semi-autobiographical drama about Dr. Dre. Called Vital Signs, the show included scenes with “characters doing lines of cocaine, an extended orgy in a mansion, and drawn guns.”

That probably shouldn’t be too surprising if you’re making a show about Dr. Dre. But while “extended orgy” scenes might seem off-limits, Apple’s objection to TV staples like “drawn guns” raised serious questions.

:shrug:

It's like they wanted the benefit of having original content, but also insist on insulating themselves from the idea of having their precious brand associated with material that wasn't family friendly. That has resulted in a pretty boring lineup that seems perfect for grandparents. I remember watching their little premiere event and shaking my head in disbelief at their content choices.

Alternatives to network TV content like HBO, AMC, and eventually Netflix took off because they were from creators who felt like they weren't constrained (or in the case of Mad Men, not AS constrained) by producers and networks. Apple is trying to create vanilla, network TV style shows on an alternative platform.

That's ... disappointing. I remember being semi excited about a panel I was at during NY Comic Con - a show set in the Mad Men era focused on the space race where Russia land on the moon first, beating America and it revolves around the astronauts who were days away from making that first contact with the moon. I forget what it's called and it makes me realize another point - their marketing hasn't really done much to remind me of why I need Apple+. Now I get it ... they didn't have much to market anyway because of those leadership/ creative difference woes. Damn. A show about Dre would've been awesome.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A show about Dre would've been awesome.
A show about Dre BY Dre, and yeah it could have been really great. I know we already have Straight Outta Compton, but a series about his version of events is a compelling idea to me. Hopefully now that things have soured between him and Apple, he'll take his ideas elsewhere. Plenty of other avenues to get that story told.

Top Bottom