What are you watching? (television thread)

Wow, I've never heard of it. I'd like to check it out.

Go for it! I'd be very interested in your thoughts on it.

The closest I can think of something that did that was Linklater's "Boyhood," which was filmed with the same cast across about 12 years.

Yeah, I think Boyhood was an achievement as well. It can't have been easy getting the cast together every year.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Go for it! I'd be very interested in your thoughts on it.
I found it on Amazon, but it requires a subscription to "Britbox." Is there an alternate legal way to get at it?

Yeah, I think Boyhood was an achievement as well. It can't have been easy getting the cast together every year.
My one beef with Boyhood was that the child actor had clearly checked out and had lost interest by the later parts of the film.

I found it on Amazon, but it requires a subscription to "Britbox." Is there an alternate legal way to get at it?
To be honest, I think the easiest option is to buy the DVDs or Blu-rays. The box with all the films goes for about $30. It's probably a bit of a big ask to invest the money sight unseen, but I definitely believe it's worth it (I certainly have spent that money in less worthy things). I personally wanted to rent them, but I couldn't find an easy way.

My one beef with Boyhood was that the child actor had clearly checked out and had lost interest by the later parts of the film.

I'm with you, but I think I understand why a person growing up would particularly lose interest in such a project.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Watched the first two episodes of Raised By Wolves, directed by Ridley Scott. First episode is pretty great "television" sci-fi, and it seems promising going forward. In that vein I'm also told I should also watch The Expanse.

Oh yeah, the South Park pandemic specials were nice and extremely relevant.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Watched the first two episodes of Raised By Wolves, directed by Ridley Scott. First episode is pretty great "television" sci-fi, and it seems promising going forward. In that vein I'm also told I should also watch The Expanse.

Oh yeah, the South Park pandemic specials were nice and extremely relevant.
That’s funny, i just started watching Raised by Wolves myself. I’m halfway through and i think it’s losing steam unfortunately after such a strong first few episodes. But we’ll see.
Those South Park specials were amazing. Especially the second one. Seriously one of the best episodes they’ve done in years. Tons of classic references (Baseketball yes!) and they managed to bring Garrison back to his teaching position smoothly after using him as a Trump surrogate for so long, which was something they never planned on in the first place, assuming at the time that Trump would lose to Hillary. The episode got pretty meta as well, with Matt and Trey inserting themselves as the shows creators manipulating events in a grand conspiracy.

Griffith

That’s funny, i just started watching Raised by Wolves myself. I’m halfway through and i think it’s losing steam unfortunately after such a strong first few episodes. But we’ll see.

Yeah, I can see that, even episode 2 wasn't near the heights of the first one, which is basically like a short film, and it's already becoming overly convoluted in certain ways that make me wary and potentially weary.

Those South Park specials were amazing. Especially the second one. Seriously one of the best episodes they’ve done in years. Tons of classic references (Baseketball yes!)

Those elite, Hollywood sickos! Agreed that the second is more consistent too, though I liked the first half of the original with Randy quite a bit before it sort of started dragging. Not a problem with the VaQcination Special! I hope they make it a trilogy. Like Stan, I just want to feel normal again.

Griffith

Raised By Wolves - The series was ok overall, but I'm not gonna lie, it has a little Lost in it as it goes along and continues raising fascinating questions with little in the way of satisfying answers. Still, the premise and setup is much better than that and it does have some payoffs, though if you only want to watch the first couple of episodes directed by Ridley Scott, that's the highpoint and the rest is basically more of the same.

WandaVision - I re-sold my soul to the rat to show my dad season 2 of Mando and figured I'd check out Marvel TV while I have it for the month. Anyway, the individual parts of this show are great pastiches of american sitcoms, but the sum of the plot by the end is pretty bland yet ridiculous, and bad. That's ok though, because you just want to see the different shows/eras represented, not the typical Marvel plotting of the finale. Frankly, just don't watch the last episode where they force it all to make sense (kinda) and enjoy the ride. Basically, it's best when it's eschewing being a Marvel show as opposed to when it is being one.

The Falcon & The Winter Soldier - This show has no such advantage. The first episode was interesting, then it got continually more boring until I wasn't paying attention by the middle of the third episode. The fourth was a bit better, has some future potential, but this is the B team doing a boilerplate story that needs some A-listers to really be compelling. Also, Marvel is somehow running out of superheroes because they're seemingly putting anybody in costumes and giving them hero aliases now.

The Expanse - Two seasons down and it was a winner almost immediately. This was probably sold as GoT in space, but it's heavier on politics and actually good sci-fi concepts, less dependent on gratuitous adult content. I didn't like season 2 as much as season 1, but it's still headed in a positive direction so we'll see if I keep up with it.

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying The Expanse, Griffith.

Have to agree about Raised By Wolves - I went in expecting more out of it. I can see a similar parallel in Mother with David (Prometheus) and there were whimsical sub-plots. I'll tune in to watch S2 if it gets made.

I'm an episode shy of finishing S1 of Invinsible. So far, it's pretty consistent in terms of the art and the graphic violence. I didn't like a few tweaks in the story, but it's not too far off where I'd want to boycott the show. Naah, far from that. If you've read/ not read the comics, doesn't matter - recommended.

Just started watching Solar Opposites - mid S1 and it's a lotta fun. Creative cross-over from Rick And Morty.

Griffith

Glad you're enjoying The Expanse, Griffith.

I still haven't started season 3 but I fully intend to and definitely want to get back to it eventually.

Have to agree about Raised By Wolves - I went in expecting more out of it. I can see a similar parallel in Mother with David (Prometheus) and there were whimsical sub-plots. I'll tune in to watch S2 if it gets made.

Yeah, the finale really didn't get me excited for season 2 since it seemed to make no sense with the serpent and Mother's and Father's survival, plus I was pretty much already tired of the atheist-turned-zealot's story and it only looks to become a bigger part of the plot. Plus, I was less clear on the rules of this world by the end, or if they're just making it up as they go along and it'll just continue spinning further out of control. The first few Scott directed episodes are certainly worth watching though, after that YMMV.

Oburi

All praise Grail
You are indeed late to the proverbial party, my friend. The Castlevania/Berserk discussions were all the rage about 2 years ago.

^ I still have to check out Castlevania. I'm kinda playing catch-up with shows that are recommended, but if it's good, I'll check it out next month.

Caught up with all of Solar Opposites, 2 seasons worth on Hulu - definitely recommended for dark sci-fi humor. The side plot had more of a linear story, and it was the highlight of the show.

Shadow & Bone on Netflix was decent for a first season of world building - for fans of fantasy. I'm curious to see where they take it from here. I haven't read the book(s).

Watched Angel Cop over the last two evenings. Superb dub, 10 out of 10.

Wrapped up S1 of Ted Lasso last night. We got someone in the family a new iPhone, and with that came a 3/ 4 month free subscription to AppleTV+. The show was pretty funny, and it's hard not to root for Ted. Most main characters are given a fair chance of screen time and character growth. Personally, for someone who grew up drinking tea with milk, I thought all those moments featuring milk tea were brilliant.

I've recently just finished a Korean fantasy show called Arthdal Chronicles, it's the only show that really held my interest these past months. It's been hard for me to enjoy anything lately, so this show was really a blessing for me. But contrary to what I just said, at first I actually stopped watching the show after episode 1 It didn't completely hook me and all I could think about was berserk at the time. But I realized I didn't give it a fair chance, and I did find something interesting about it so a couple weeks later I started watching it again, and I'm so glad I did. After a few episodes I was really invested and I started really liking the characters and the writing, it's 18 episodes and each episode is over an hour long so each episode is like a short movie. I really think berserk fans will really appreciate this show, if you are looking for something to watch I would really urge you to give it a chance because I guarantee any berserk fan will enjoy it. I recommend watching it till after the first part which is after episode 6 and decided for yourself if you want to continue it. I think the thing that you will notice first is how amazing the cinematography is, the shots really blew me away, and the series has a real sense of atmosphere and wonder to it that I had never seen before. I'm trying to be as vague as possible so as not spoil anything but yeah even the characters are really likable, each one I really enjoyed. There is even a Griffith like character that wants to accend and become a king of sorts, a cliché in fantasy but it's done particularly well here, a lot of political intrigue and such when we are watching his story unfold.

Got 4 episodes left from finishing the final season of The Wire, and already by the end of the 3rd season it became my all-time television show, but the fourth season cemented it as the GOAT production of the audiovisual medium.

Can't wait to see how the series concludes!

Got 4 episodes left from finishing the final season of The Wire, and already by the end of the 3rd season it became my all-time television show, but the fourth season cemented it as the GOAT production of the audiovisual medium.

Can't wait to see how the series concludes!
Nice!

I’ve been meaning to watch The Wire for a very long time, as I’ve heard nothing but good things about this show (particularly here at sk.net), but the fact that it’s 67 episodes makes it quite a daunting undertaking. One of these days…

67 episodes will go by real quick, m! Go for it! Imagine having to re-watch One Piece with over 800 episodes because my wife wanted to check out the anime. Good fun.

Enjoying the new season of What We Do In The Shadows, so far it's just the 3 episodes that're out.

S2 of Ted Lasso packs more emotional depth to the show. I like it, but can't tell if I like it more than the 1st season. Ted's character is extremely witty, funny, and for some reason I always think of Griffith when I think of Ted.

67 episodes will go by real quick, m! Go for it! Imagine having to re-watch One Piece with over 800 episodes because my wife wanted to check out the anime. Good fun.
I will! :serpico:

You're a brave man, 800 episodes sounds impossible. I don't think I could even find the time for so many.

Enjoying the new season of What We Do In The Shadows, so far it's just the 3 episodes that're out.

In principle, What We Do in the Shadows should be in my wheelhouse, but I could never get into it. I watched the movie and I fell asleep. I watched a few episodes of the show and I just couldn't get into them. Oh well. :shrug:

S2 of Ted Lasso packs more emotional depth to the show. I like it, but can't tell if I like it more than the 1st season. Ted's character is extremely witty, funny, and for some reason I always think of Griffith when I think of Ted.

Ted Lasso is one of my favorite shows ever. I had heard good things about it but, based on the premise, I was never expecting to like at all. Now I'm trying to get everybody I know to watch it. I'm also not sure that I like the second season more than the first one, but I don't think it matters much, because the show is still very good.

Top Bottom