What is Guts striking at in this picture?

On the splash page of the Big Berserk Exhibition, who or what is Guts swinging the Dragon Slayer at?

• Griffith/Femto

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Another member of the God Hand

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Grunbeld

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Zodd

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Another apostle

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • The Skull Knight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Moonlight Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don't believe this picture will appear in the manga

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've been meaning to make this thread for like six months but have constantly postponed it... Till now! The Big Berserk Exhibition was announced in October, and serving as its splash picture is an image of Guts we haven't seen before. It's an action shot where he's striking at something... But what? Post your answers below!

GutsSlash.jpg

One thing I'll note is that he does seem to be striking at something taller or higher than him... But it could just be the dynamic angle, with him caught mid-swing, giving that impression.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
When we first saw this image back in October, I was quite convinced it would be from an upcoming episode. That's because this doesn't look like Miura's traditional promotional art. Instead it looks like the same art we'd see in the pages of the manga. But it's been 2 episodes and more than six months since then. And with no action on the immediate horizon, I think it could just be something cooked up for the event.

That being said, there's precedent for Miura to finish page art more than a year before he releases an episode. Back in 2013 when Vol 37 just released, we got a preview of Ep 334 that showed page art that wouldn't be released for a full year (march 2013 to april 2014).

One thing I'll note is that he does seem to be striking at something taller or higher than him... But it could just be the dynamic angle, with him caught mid-swing, giving that impression.
It does give that impression at first, but it looks to me like his eyes are leveled at something directly in front of him.

Maybe Zodd?? We know the moonlight boy came to the island in the most recent episode, maybe Zodd followed and this leads to a confrontation between guts and the Zodd on elfhelm? That's my guess. Either that or as walter said, something cooked up for the event.

I voted for "I don't believe this picture will appear in the manga", but honestly, I really hope it's from an upcoming episode.
I don't know who Guts could be fighting (Could be Zodd who probably followed the boy), but it would definitely make for an amazing looking action page if it's actually in an episode.

rathtub

you can call me Rattie!
I honestly think it could be either just be a promotional piece or part of a future panel to be honest. Interesting to me are the edges around Gut's cape. It could just be Miura still adjusting to digital and finding his style in it, but to my eyes it looks like things were erased around them. It looks like it's meant to be in an environment but isn't. The additional markings around Gut's feet also suggest that this could be part of a future panel, but I personally think it's just another piece of promotional art.

As to what/who Guts could be striking at, Griffith and Zodd are the most likely candidates imo. But maybe Skully if he made a move to harm Moonboy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Zodd is a very likely candidate. We know from Sonia that others have to be lead through the branches of the world spiral tree or they'd become lost.

I don't think Zodd is a very likely candidate. We know from Sonia that others have to be lead through the branches of the world spiral tree or they'd become lost.
Is it not possible that the moonlight boy has some tacit agreement with zodd as his "protector"? I know we haven't seen anything suggesting that, but if the moonlight boy can lead Zodd on the tree I think it's entirely possible, considering we have seen him watching over the boy before.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Is it not possible that the moonlight boy has some tacit agreement with zodd as his "protector"? I know we haven't seen anything suggesting that, but if the moonlight boy can lead Zodd on the tree I think it's entirely possible, considering we have seen him watching over the boy before.
If that were the case, then where was Zodd during the boy's last visit...? I think Zodd was only there on the beach because the boy needed transportation. After the world spiral tree's appearance, he no longer needed Zodd.

If that were the case, then where was Zodd during the boy's last visit...? I think Zodd was only there on the beach because the boy needed transportation. After the world spiral tree's appearance, he no longer needed Zodd.
Ok yeah, I think I know what you mean.

Matteo Metallo

Veritas Non Verba Magistri
I'm under the assumption that if Guts were to come face to face with Femto in the next couple of episodes his rage would be unleashed and the armor would be in full control, but this isn't the case with this image. I do think Guts will cross swords with Skull Knight at some point over his son, but not now or in the next couple of episodes.

My mind is going to this being a non-combative swing in the sense that he is either training on the island or even better, he's testing out his newly improved Dragon Slayer courtesy of Hanarr!

I'm still wondering how this visit with his son is gonna play out, but think it will be more of way to rebuild Guts and Casca as opposed to a dramatic reveal. Even if the masters of Elfhelm suspect something is amiss I think the rest of the group will be none the wiser for the time being.

Top Bottom