What name will Casca and Guts give to their son?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So, the "Boy in the Moonlight" has finally appeared on the island. He stands in front of his father, and his mother isn't far away. More importantly, for the first time since his birth, she's sane. It may not happen right away, but at some point, they've got to give him a name, right? So what could it be? A reference to someone that was dear to them, like Gambino? Judo or Pippin? Maybe too soon (and awkward).

But then what? Well, here's where you come in. Guess! (But please try to keep it realistic and tasteful)

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I vote for Judo! :shrug: I think that Judo meant a lot to both Guts and Casca, and for Casca in particular, he was able to save her during the Eclipse. The memory clearly continues to haunt her, and maybe naming her son after Judo would signify her healing and moving forward, as well!

I just hope that they're able to spend enough time together as a family to make naming the boy a possibility. :judo:

But then what? Well, here's where you come in. Guess! (But please try to keep it realistic and tasteful)
No guesses from you Aaz? C'mon man, I was hoping for something creative! If he were to be named after one of the Band of the Falcon, I think Judo would be the most likely out of the bunch. Maybe something to do with the moon, like Tsukuyomi or something. I don't know how often Miura picks Japanese names for characters or bases things off of Japanese folklore, but it would least allow him to make a Johnny Cash reference, Boy named Tsu. Maybe something out of Norse Mythology, Máni the moon deity.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Maybe something to do with the moon, like Tsukuyomi or something. I don't know how often Miura picks Japanese names for characters or bases things off of Japanese folklore, but it would least allow him to make a Johnny Cash reference, Boy named Tsu. Maybe something out of Norse Mythology, Máni the moon deity.
I don't think any of the characters would have any of the cultural knowledge required to have a name like "Tsukuyomi" in their back pocket, gven the context of the story. A moon reference might be interesting, though!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
No guesses from you Aaz? C'mon man, I was hoping for something creative!

Hah! I always do all the work, for once I want to hear what others have to say first. :shrug:
I might venture a guess if I'm satisfied with how the thread goes. I promise I won't just say "Jñānin". :iva:

Maybe something to do with the moon, like Tsukuyomi or something. I don't know how often Miura picks Japanese names for characters or bases things off of Japanese folklore

Not very likely I'd say.

I think I would be really cool if:

Before they name their son, the characters in story get solid proof that SK = Gaiseric.

Then, since they were both saved by SK during the eclipse (there’s no way either of them would still be alive without him) they decide to name their son after him, Gaiseric.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The actual name is beyond my level of deduction and expertise, but if I was a gambling man I would say the child's name will begin with a G, as a good number of individuals that have had a profound effect on Guts have had names that begin with a G.

I'm absolutely terrible at naming things. When I made this site, I outsourced the domain name choice to BSOM members. When I named my son and daughter, I outsourced it to my wife. When I named characters in my shitty fanfic in high school, I outsourced names to Cronus. But if there's one thing I know I can count on with a new Miura character name, it's gonna be a G thing.

He wouldn't let down the G gang, MOUNT UUUUUPPPPPPPP:

• Guts
  • Griffith
  • Gennon
  • Gambino
  • Gaiseric
  • Gedflynn
  • Ginnal
  • Ganishka
  • Garuda
  • Gaston
  • Godot
  • Grunbeld

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Not only do I also suck at naming things but trying to guess a name from Berserk? An impossible task! I will say though that something "lunar" would make sense. I don't think it'll be anything connected to the Band of the Falcon members. Way too soon for Casca's fragile state of mind, in my opinion. Too many bad connotations. It should be something as far away from that as possible actually.

One thing is for sure. That boy needs a damn name. I'm so over using The Moonlight Boy every time he comes up.

Seeing as how Casca has a penchant for naming things after her former comrades (in Griffith's dream atleast but I assume Miura had the thought in his head that the real Casca actually would do that) I'm saying that there's a 90 percent chance he'd be named after someone they know. I'll go with the majority and say Judeau not only because it's likely but because I want it to be!:shrug:

Last edited:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Godot. I havent had the time to develop why cause I was prepping for work but I thought Godot could fit well since he kind of imparted Guts with some good wisdom in my opinion. To cherish whats important to you now instead of ramapaging to avenge his past. So yeh, I will go with Godot. (thanx for the one correcting it in the first place, forgot it took a "t" at the end. :) )

Last edited:
I was thinking Judo or name carrying a moon reference as best possibilities, but now I can't unthink the possibility of Gaiseric or another name starting with G. xDD

That's a fun thread!
Personally, I wouldn't want Miura to reuse a name. Members of the Band of the Falcon don't strike me as a good choice ("Judeau? But what about Pippin or Corkus, were they less important? Let's name him Judeau-Pippin-Corkus, or in short: JPC" :farnese:).
If Guts gets to give his opinion to Casca, he'd choose a simple name, two syllables maybe. I think it'll be a Roman or Greek name. How about Gaius/Gaios? Given the importance of Griffith and Gaiseric, that'd make a nice reference to Gaius Julius Caesar, another great emperor.
To imagine what kind of name Casca would choose is pretty hard, I'll stay with my first choice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while, but to contribute a bit, I think the character deserves an original name, like "Guts" or "Casca".

As for guessing what it could be, that's a tall order. Like Walter mentioned above, there is a pattern of names starting with a G or K consonant and it wouldn't be surprising if it followed that convention. On the other hand, there's no obligation either and personally I'd prefer something different. Lastly, I wonder if Guts and/or Casca will name the boy, or whether he'll name himself. More specifically, I'm curious to see if the concept of mana (true name), introduced with Isma in episode 324, will be brought up. I expect that it will play an important role down the line.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
I always thought either his name will be a former member of the Band of the Falcon (if so, most likely Judeau) or he just remains nameless, an option that I prefer. Either way, I will be happy regardless of Miura’s decision.

Last edited:
I vote for Judo! :shrug: I think that Judo meant a lot to both Guts and Casca, and for Casca in particular, he was able to save her during the Eclipse. The memory clearly continues to haunt her, and maybe naming her son after Judo would signify her healing and moving forward, as well!

I just hope that they're able to spend enough time together as a family to make naming the boy a possibility. :judo:
I would probably cry (tears of joy) if Casca did this. I also wonder what could be in store for Guts since the Moonlight Child showed himself infront of him for the first time.

Top Bottom