What race does Guts belong to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.portal-G.

The magna was created by an japanese person so i would think guts is japanese but looking at his environment how can this be. Most of the soldiers and generals look as if they are medevil europeans. But Griffith, caska, pippin, and guts all look different.

Just because a Japanese person created it doesn't mean the main character's automatically Japanese. Guts' race/ethnicity is never explicitly given, but it's safe to assume it's the same as mostly everyone.

I would say he looks German, he does have a pretty square face and all, also he is a pretty big guy well compared to your average person these days, though it does kinda look like he has a little bit of japanese in him with the dark hair and eyes but still I say he is mostly German/European.

T

T.portal-G.

Where was guts born? If he was born in Midland i guess he just be a Midlander. I guess there is no japanese, german, etc. in the berserk universe. Thats why there is so much diversity in the magna. In real life there wouldn't be an army like the "Band of the Hawk" or "Guts gang" with all its different individuals. But if there was a movie made what type of people would the director cast. Japanese or German? Or something eles?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
T.portal-G. said:
Where was guts born?

In Midland as far as we know. And there are indeed no Japanese or European people in Berserk. Also, without starting an anthropological discussion, I don't think the concept of race is very appropriate here. There's no German or Japanese race, just white or asian people. So let's just call a spade a spade since the distinction is solely based on physical features.

The global setting Midland is based on is "European-like", but that doesn't mean much. Guts is white with black hair and has no beard, nor any kind of pilosity on his torso, arms and legs. Being assumedly born in Midland, he's logically a "Midlander". Nothing more to say I think. He's a fictional character, so assimilating him to a real world nation is tricky at best, ridiculous at worst, and pointless in any case. Schierke naturally has green hair, where would she be from in our world? Mars? :void:

Concerning actors, there's already a thread on the subject.

T

T.portal-G.

Don't forget about Donovan.
Guts is white
I don't think he is white. I think Mirua intended to make him look more Japanese to appeal to the Japanese audience in japan.  Most of the cool characters look Asian while most of the bad guys and political people look white.  But i agree that there is no race connected to this world and berserk world.  Cant just pin down a race for the berserk universe since berserk can be for anyone.  But really i think guts is Asian, I'm just saying that because Asian people need more role models. We don't have many that are real people so i guess we take what we can. So far guts influence my life a lot and he is one of my role models.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
T.portal-G. said:
Don't forget about Donovan.

What's your point? He's black? There were black soldiers in the Hawks. Really, that doesn't mean anything, especially in a fictional world.

T.portal-G. said:
I don't think he is white.

Well, I wasn't really asking a question...

T.portal-G. said:
I think Miura intended to make him look more Japanese to appeal to the Japanese audience in japan.

I don't think so. Actually I'm sure Miura wouldn't do that. Here's an extract from an interview with Miura regarding the character of Guts.

I wasn't really thinking of anybody at the time I created Guts. But if you're only talking about his looks and not about his personality then I guess Rutger Hauer was the model. I saw him playing a mercenary in a medieval movie, "Flesh & Blood" and I really liked him in that movie. He also played the lead in "Salute of the Jugger." It was an Sci Fi movie, but I thought the character he played was similar to Guts. And the main character from "Highlander" kind of reminds me of Guts. I think it had a lot to do with those cool collected type heroes I admired when I was in college.

Honestly, I never thought anyone would ever question this.

T.portal-G. said:
Most of the cool characters look Asian while most of the bad guys and political people look white.

No, that's definitely not true. Serpico, Farnese, Isidro, Schierke, Azan or Puck look Asian? Sorry but they just don't. Besides, the bad guys are cool in Berserk. :void: Anyway, Berserk is an Occidental-type fantasy story, I don't think this needs to be discussed...

T.portal-G. said:
But really i think guts is Asian, I'm just saying that because Asian people need more role models.

Hahaha, is that the only reason you're saying so? That's not really solid ground. Besides, I think there are a lot of cool Asian role models... If you want a manga with a Japanese setting, you can try Vagabond or Blade of the Immortal.

Berserk has a lot of Asian elements in it, be it regarding the philosophy or psychology of the characters, the themes of the series, etc. Its Asian influence is undeniable and that's natural, its author is Japanese after all. But regarding the characters' look, I don't think there is any doubt.

Grunbeld? He's definately scandanavian (or based off of them). They talk about how he is from the "north," and has flaming red hair, and is a giant (the norsemen had giants in mythology and miura probably knew that). But then again it's a manga we're probably putting to much thought into it.

Casca i've determined is Asian (if midland is in Europe) and she is from the mountains, maybe mongolian, or indian.

Guts is whatever Rutger Hauler is.

Puck is definately Jamaican (everyone can see that)

Farnese is italian, it is an italian name, she is obsessed with religion, her armor is fancy, and she is spoiled.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Guys these "races" don't exist.
Casca's not asian cause there is no asia. Guts isn't japanese cause there is no japan. Ect.

You're making way too many presumptions based on what you believe the ethnicities of these characters might be based on. The story that is being told is way more important than stopping and wondering which race these characters belong to.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NeoBerserker said:
scandanavian, Asian, Jamaican, italian

This doesn't make sense, CnC's right. What the characters' background or name were inspired from really doesn't mean much here. Especially not from the "race" point of view which is flawed from the start anyway.

wow this is one super silly post. As for what race guts is, he's white and he doesn't really look asain to me. Casca, asain? not the first time I've heard that one before. I've always considered Casca to be black. but CnC pretty much hit the nail on the head here, besides it's a fictonal story anyways, so this almost seems silly to go on and on about it. I know I'm quilty of post but I had throw my 2 cents in. ><

Has most people have said, Berserk is a fiction in a fictional word, there is no Europe or Asia in the Berserk world.

However, we can just point out that Miura took inspiration about Europe and Asia when he creates its world and characters.

For me midland and the "midlanders" (and Tudor and some kingdom around) is a mix of Western Europe influence (England, France, Germany and I am sure there are others.

The place when Farnese and Serpico come from and Vritannis (I don't remember the exact name) seems to be a mix of Southern Europe (Italy, Spain).

The Kushans are a mix between arabs and Indian (and the real Kushans) with strong indian influence for Ganishka (Elephant, Indian-like god in the throne room...).

The japanese influence for me are more in the mind or behaviour of the character than in their apparence.

However as Guts has quite always been a mercenary, he has lived between the different kingdoms in war with each other (especially Midland and Tudor). So, I don't think he know its own nationality and I think he doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom