What summons the vortex of souls?

I'm finishing up a re-read of the manga, and at first I was thinking back on the battle for the Spirit Tree Mansion. Guts and the Skull Knight cut down several apostle, yet we don't get dozens of vortexes claiming the bodies, like it did for Wyald. Thinking harder, I realize it only came for Wyald and the Count's (and when the Skull Knight destroys Qliphoth).
So what made these apostle deaths so much different from say, the Snake Baron, or the female apostle who killed Corkus? Is there anything specific that has to happen for that swirling vortex of souls to emerge?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NCHaskew said:
I'm finishing up a re-read of the manga, and at first I was thinking back on the battle for the Spirit Tree Mansion. Guts and the Skull Knight cut down several apostle, yet we don't get dozens of vortexes claiming the bodies, like it did for Wyald. Thinking harder, I realize it only came for Wyald and the Count's (and when the Skull Knight destroys Qliphoth).
So what made these apostle deaths so much different from say, the Snake Baron, or the female apostle who killed Corkus? Is there anything specific that has to happen for that swirling vortex of souls to emerge?

It happens to every apostle when they die, we just aren't shown the details every time.

As a reminder, the Vortex of Souls is where all human souls with negative karma go after death. It's basically "hell". And it's also the source of the evil power that is used by the God Hand and the apostles. When people become apostles, their souls are imbued with evil power. That transformation of their soul, in turn, warps their corporeal body and turns them into monsters. That same evil power is also why their soul is claimed by the Vortex of Souls when they die. And you'll notice that after their soul is taken away, their body reverts back to its human form, since the evil power doesn't impact it anymore.

Aazealh said:
It happens to every apostle when they die, we just aren't shown the details every time.

That makes sense! Was it just especially powerful when it came for the Count because they were already in a weird astral plane? Because I don't believe Wyald's was sucking up other people.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NCHaskew said:
That makes sense! Was it just especially powerful when it came for the Count because they were already in a weird astral plane? Because I don't believe Wyald's was sucking up other people.

No, the vortex was trying to snatch Guts during the Count's ceremony because of his brand (remember, that's what it truly means to be branded). It had no claim to him back in the Golden Age.

Walter said:
No, the vortex was trying to snatch Guts during the Count's ceremony because of his brand (remember, that's what it truly means to be branded). It had no claim to him back in the Golden Age.

Aaaah right right. I'm so used to the Brand attracting evil, I forgot its worst significance is that he's basically damned to Hell. Thanks for the clarification!

Top Bottom