What will Guts do?

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I mean eventually if Berserk goes past a 100 volumes like alot of fans think it will, Guts's DS is going to break I mean its inevintable, after all those hardcore battles with the countless apostles he's killed, the sword is eventually going to break, or maybe not.........what do you guys think??

And if it does break I cant wait to see the behmoth that he wields next, will be.

I think by the time the DS needs tempering, Ricket will be fully capable of taking care of it. As for it breaking, I doubt anything less than a God Hand would wreck that thing.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Firstly, your thread titled needs a little revision...

berserker88 said:
I mean eventually if Berserk goes past a 100 volumes... Guts's DS is going to break I mean its inevintable, after all those hardcore battles with the countless apostles he's killed, the sword is eventually going to break....

The thing you haven't considered is that the Dragon Slayer (can't bring myself to call it a DS) has transcended the limits of a normal "sword". It was extremely strong before it became imbued with "magic"... Armour is nothing but butter with Guts at the hilt. It peirced the flesh of a Slan, a member of God Hand (even if it wasn't the form she usually takes), it's been used in a few fights with Zodd...hell, it managed to cut through Grunbeld's corundum scales without so much as chipping. Even the original wielder, Aolsier, slayed a real dragon with it years before Guts picked it up, and it's still in good nick! I know it was reworked in Volume 17, but in it's current state, I can't see it being reforged.

The only way I could see it breaking is if Guts ever gets to wield it against Griffith... but that's just wild speculation for now :griff:

Uriel said:
The only way I could see it breaking is if Guts ever gets to wield it against Griffith... but that's just wild speculation for now :griff:
I don't see the DS in any immediate danger anytime soon. I'm more worried about Guts and his armor for the time being. Help us Hanafubuku king!!! :judo:

I don't think we have to worry about a punctured lung... the number of times Guts has coughed up more than a pint is well into double figures. I'm pretty sure he's actually immune to the dangers of internal bleeding.

Dirty Dog

bastard_swordsman said:
I don't think we have to worry about a punctured lung... the number of times Guts has coughed up more than a pint is well into double figures. I'm pretty sure he's actually immune to the dangers of internal bleeding.

I'm sure that he'll live, but only because he is the protagonist and it'd ruin the series if he were to die at all, aside from maybe in some final confrontation with Griffith when they run eachother through... And anyone can die from losing too much blood.

The DS is a very massive sword, and Godot commented about the quality of the metal at its core when he fixed it up. I don't think any of the Apostles will be able to damage it badly enough where it can't be used; though it may very well crack at some point in time. Besides, even if it were to break in half, it'd still be longer than many swords.

And the worst-case scenario with the Berserker's Armor is that Guts will begin to go blind or deaf.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Uriel said:

He got the chance back in volume three. It didn't work well but the Dragon Slayer wasn't damaged in any way either. I wonder if it would work different now that the Dragon Slayer has had a chance to further accumulate an Astral Presence.

Dirty Dog

Forest Wraith said:
He got the chance back in volume three. It didn't work well but the Dragon Slayer wasn't damaged in any way either. I wonder if it would work different now that the Dragon Slayer has had a chance to further accumulate an Astral Presence.
Guts was weakened by pain when he had the chance to use it on Femto.
Besides, he didn't actually hit him anyway, nor did Femto land an attack on the DS.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Dirty Dog said:
Guts was weakened by pain when he had the chance to use it on Femto.
Besides, he didn't actually hit him anyway, nor did Femto land an attack on the DS.

My point is is that Femto appears to have defended himself against Guts by doing something with the rules relating to potential energy and momentum. Note that there is no sound from the Dragon Slayer inpacting anything in that scene: So I'm assuming the fact that Guts was weakened had nothing to do with it. If he had been at full strength he probably would have been flat-out plastered against that wall. Void did a similar thing when he was attacked by Skull knight: Leading me to consider that the God Hands powers operate on existing laws, however, the God Hand has the ability to manipulate them as they see fit.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
While I doubt the Dragon Slayer is in any immediate danger, I agree that ir will be Ricket who reforges it next time, if that time ever comes.

Of course, if Guts did decide to move on to anothr sword, I can barely imagine the behemoth Miura would have to come up with. :void:

And doesn't Guts run a slightly higher risk than "just" going deaf or blind?
Flora did say its former owner (Skullknight maybe) died from the armour.

berserker88 said:
I mean eventually if Berserk goes past a 100 volumes like alot of fans think it will, Guts's DS is going to break I mean its inevintable, after all those hardcore battles with the countless apostles he's killed, the sword is eventually going to break, or maybe not.........what do you guys think??

No. Dur.

Uriel said:
    Even the original wielder, Aolsier, slayed a real dragon with it years before Guts picked it up, and it's still in good nick!

Aolsier isn't even a character, and no "Dragon" was slayed. Someones been reading too many scanlations.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
I mean eventually if Berserk goes past a 100 volumes like alot of fans think it will, Guts's DS is going to break I mean its inevintable, after all those hardcore battles with the countless apostles he's killed, the sword is eventually going to break, or maybe not...

First off it's unlikely that Berserk will go on for over a hundred volumes. Second, there's nothing inevitable at all here. Most people don't realize it but the Dragon Slayer is the essence of Berserk. It's what made Berserk unique originally, it's what symbolizes it. I don't think it'll be replaced.

Uriel said:
It peirced the flesh of a Slan, a member of God Hand (even if it wasn't the form she usually takes), it's been used in a few fights with Zodd...hell, it managed to cut through Grunbeld's corundum scales without so much as chipping.

I agree with your original point, but I don't think stabbing troll innards, even if inhabited by Slan's spirit, is a great feat. It's the fact it harmed her to some extent that's remarkable. It also didn't cut through Grunberd's corundum "skin" but cracked it. Details, I know.

Uriel said:
Even the original wielder, Aolsier, slayed a real dragon with it years before Guts picked it up

Hahaha, let's not bring the Aolsier joke outside of its dedicated thread please, otherwise it'll really confuse people. :guts:

lacroixma

I'm still new.
Aazealh said:
First off it's unlikely that Berserk will go on for over a hundred volumes. Second, there's nothing inevitable at all here. Most people don't realize it but the Dragon Slayer is the essence of Berserk. It's what made Berserk unique originally, it's what symbolizes it. I don't think it'll be replaced.

I agree totally. The sword made the man in this case (well mabe not). Miura couldn't replace the DS. I had a "dream" that the DS and the skullnight's special sword could merge (to kill Griffith) one of these days but looking at it now, it would take away the essence, and is rubbish.

[quote author="Aazealh"]Hahaha, let's not bring the Aolsier joke outside of its dedicated thread please, otherwise it'll really confuse people. :guts:[/quote]

That thread truly was confusing. :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed your quotes for you.

Marcus said:
I had a "dream" that the DS and the skullnight's special sword could merge (to kill Griffith) one of these days but looking at it now, it would take away the essence, and is rubbish.

Yeah, I'll have to agree on that idea being rubbish. :void:

Marcus said:
That thread truly was confusing. :???:

Well that's more or less what it was supposed to be. As long as people understand it's just a little joke it's fine though. :serpico:

Uriel said:
hell, it managed to cut through Grunbeld's corundum scales without so much as chipping
Not so. Guts thrusted rather than slashed at Grunbeld's face, which would mean the impact force would be absorbed by the entire length of the blade - undisputably its greatest dimension. Also, from the fact the Dragonslayer wasn't lodged in his face, you can assume it didn't go too deep. Basically, if you think of the thrust of the Dragonslayer as being a direct impact from a 6' thick sword against comparatively thin skin. At this point, density doesn't change the fact that the corundum would split.
Try to think about it as working the same way as standing on a cola can. It's always going to be far stronger lengthways than widthways.

LadyCs

Not all memories are meant to be remembered
I doubt the sword will break. If it does it'll end up being by Griffith no doubt. But anything else breaking it that would just ruin the fun! XD I think because that big iron slab has now been stained and cursed by the blood of demons and wandering monster/humans I don't think it'll break...yet

I think it is unlikely that the Dragon Slayer will "break" from something as anti-climactic and simple as wear-and-tear. The blade itself has some kind of spiritual power about it now after killing so many monsters and Apostles. The way I understood it was that the Dragon Slayer actually becomes more powerful with the more evil things that are felled by it. The blade may have to undergo tempering and repairs on occasion due to superficial damage on the blade edge, but even Godo remarked that the core of the blade contains such good metal that it will always revive in a blacksmith's furnace; no matter the amount of rust, nicks, or cracks.

I could only see the Dragon Slayer breaking by the hand of either Griffith/Femto, Zodd, or one of the God Hand. I also don't see the Dragon Slayer being "replaced" by another blade later on in the manga. Guts already had that opportunity at Flora's palace, but refused, and Schierke (uncharacteristically) didn't argue because even she could sense that the Dragon Slayer had some kind of strong spiritual power.

I think that Guts will have Rickert repair the blade for him if it comes down to it being seriously damaged. Everyone has a purpose in Berserk and I don't find it coincidental that Rickert was the only other Band of the Hawk member besides Guts and Casca to survive the Eclipse, or take up Blacksmithing as a profession under Godo.

Waychel said:
I could only see the Dragon Slayer breaking by the hand of either Griffith/Femto, Zodd... ...

Leave him out, If he had that capability he would have break it back in vol 22...

I think it won't break up, if you notice in some last episodes the DS appears to be covered in some black aura, like it has gained some mystical power or something like that, so i can't see it breaking in the future.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
artha5 said:
I think it won't break up, if you notice in some last episodes the DS appears to be covered in some black aura, like it has gained some mystical power or something like that, so i can't see it breaking in the future.

The Dragon Slayer gained its mystical properties due to Guts having dispatched so many Apostles and astral creatures with it.  I doubt it has become unbreakable, though, but you never know.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
artha5 said:
Exactly, is like the DS is gaining more power from the Apostles that Guts kill.
It has been. Thats why Skullknight stated that his Dragonslayer can now harm the apostles and what not at their level of existence.

i'm pretty sure that if anything happens to the dragon slayer, it will be rickerts job to mend, either by
A) fixing it up in the same way godo did back in 17
B) if the sword breaks, then rickert will make one on par with the old one (this option is very doubtful, and less effective seeing as the new one wouldnt have the slain apostle essence, or whatever we want to call it)

while we are on the topic of rickert; he is still living with erica in godo's old house, right? (even though the mine was destroyed)

Top Bottom