What Would’ve Happened Between Guts and Casca?

So first I’d like to start by saying hi! I’m new here and this is my first thread. I don’t know if anyone has already asked this question on here, but it’s been bugging me for a while and I’d love to hear your opinions.

What do you guys think would’ve happened between Guts and Casca once she remembered what Guts put her through (leaving her for two years, dragging her around on a leash, nearly raping her)? Do you think she’d want space away from him until she’s processed how he’s hurt her? Do you think she would lash out at him for catharsis like she did before the Wounds chapter? Do you think she’d even want to be with him at all?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there's any doubt that Guts and Casca would have eventually been a couple again. Guts isn't without faults, but Casca knows he went through a lot, including for her sake. She's been his sole concern since he rescued her in the Conviction arc and is the reason they traveled the world over to get to Elfhelm. That journey was really hard on him, especially when it was just the two of them with Puck, and she knows that or would have remembered it.

And her feelings aren't a secret. In the Corridor of Dreams, as the little sprite, the only thing she told Farnese was that she wanted to see him. That in itself says everything. When she woke up, she teared up when asked about him. So no, I don't think she would hold a grudge over the fact he left her for two years or about the time he momentarily lost it and assaulted her (he can hardly be blamed for keeping her tied up, it was for her own safety).

Aside from the fact those events already played their role narratively (Casca distrusted him until she recovered her sanity), Miura went another route, with her having panic attacks every time she sees him or hears his voice. Which makes sense, because the enormous trauma of the Eclipse completely dwarfs the rest. I think dealing with that would have been the main focus, with Guts' own demons being more of a problem for him than for her.

In my opinion it's more likely he would have felt ashamed about these things himself and that she would have assuaged his feelings. Because, while it's different from what she went through, Guts is also very clearly traumatized by the Eclipse and his mental health is in jeopardy. That is of course represented by the Beast of Darkness, which essentially doubles as his death drive.

In volume 17, in the iconic scene where he swears he will never leave her again, Guts realizes that his love for her is the only thing that has stopped him from being completely engulfed (and subsequently destroyed) by that darkness. I believe her restored self would have played the crucial role of helping him deal with that trauma and conquer (or at least tame) the Beast of Darkness. Just like how she helped him get over his childhood rape and Gambino's death in volume 9. That's the kind of woman she is.

Of course, there would have been other elements factoring in that equation, the most important one being their son and his very particular circumstances. I think that crazy situation and the way to deal with it could have been a source of tension at first before becoming a common objective that would have united them more strongly than ever.

Top Bottom