What'd you do over the weekend?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Oburi said:
Tonight I'm going to the World War 3 tour to see Asking Alexandria, We Came As Romans, Drugs and a few other bands I don't care about. Should be fun!

I forgot to follow up on this. The show was lame for the most part because the band I really wanted to see sucked. The lead singer for Asking Alexandria came out and basically put the minimal amount of effort in. His voice was bad and he looked pudgy and just had no energy. Compared to that Drugs (who I've seen three times now) had insane energy. First thing Craig Owens did was jump right into the crowd. The best part was during an instrumental part I just happened to turn around and see Craig Owens walking right up behind me. He walked by and I patted him on the back and said good show and he hopped back up on stage. I thought it was so cool that he walks around in the crowd, you can tell he's all about the fans. The guy from AA is just a douche.

Edit- Went to the Boston Bruins game on saturday. It was such a hyped up game because it's the only time that the Bruins would play Vancouver since beating them in seven games for the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately the Bruins lost, mainly due to the massive penalties. It was 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 the whole game. Vancouver played the ref's basically. Extremely aggravating. Boston was playing very rough and I managed to get this pic as fights broke out.

Saturday - woke up late, cooked lunch, went out in the evening for a birthday party, got home late and played Tekken 6 (multi-player with a board member) which was a lotta fun. Sunday - cleaned, picked up 3 more games from GameStop (Skyrim for my brother), cooked lunch n dinner, watched + completed Game Of Thrones season 1. Was feeling under the weather on Sunday because of the alcohol from the prior night, I'm guessing. Sometime this week I'll un-box 2 statues I've been holding on to.

BUMP.

Tomorrow I'm going to start my day early at 5 AM, rent a car to drive up to Mt. Greylock which's the highest natural point in MA. It's a 3 hour drive away from me. Probably climb up using the Thunderbolt trail which is steep yet the quickest way to reach the top. I wonder if there's snow on the mountain but I'll carry my boots (tie em on my backpack just in case). If anyone wants to join and doesn't mind missing SuperBowl, PM me and we can meet up along the way or at the summit, etc. I'm not much of a hiker, this'll be my 9th hike only. I plan to change that this year.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Now it's my time for a hike. I took my sister and niece over to the highest mountain here called Camelback Mountain. It was slower than usual, but it was pretty fun at the end.

dayajoce.jpg

hike.jpg

Th3Branded0ne said:
Now it's my time for a hike. I took my sister and niece over to the highest mountain here called Camelback Mountain. It was slower than usual, but it was pretty fun at the end.

I'm originally from Arizona too... Scottsdale. :) But I've been living in Yokohama, Japan since 2004. I still go back to visit once a year or so, though.

To answer the topic's question... last night (Saturday), I saw the Berserk movie for the second time! Also went to yoga class and had Mexican food for dinner, and bought a new case for my iPhone. All in all, it was a pretty good day. :guts:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
StarKodama said:
I'm originally from Arizona too... Scottsdale. :) But I've been living in Yokohama, Japan since 2004. I still go back to visit once a year or so, though.

To answer the topic's question... last night (Saturday), I saw the Berserk movie for the second time! Also went to yoga class and had Mexican food for dinner, and bought a new case for my iPhone. All in all, it was a pretty good day. :guts:

Oh you mean snobsdale as some may call it. Keep rubbing it in man, hahaha I at least would have like to see it once already.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Missed seeing this post! That looks great Branded and high. How long did it take and how was the trail (steep?)?

I was hoping to slow down this weekend but it didn't happen. Caturday I came in to work and then escaped a bunch of retard drunks on my way back on the subway because of St. Patty's. Hit up an Indonesian place for dinner in the evening and it was freakin delicious, pigged out on everything I shouldn't have ha ha ha. Couldn't sleep because I'm kinda still getting used to the time zone here. Was at a friend's birthday all day Sunday and that's how my weekend zipped by.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Just got home from a party, that wasn't even lasted an hour. I was in the backyard and an argument kept getting louder from the front yard. It was the cops fighting some of the guys that were in the front and made their way all the way back. Most of them were relatives, so the women went after the cops, everyone close to the chaos got pepper sprayed. There was at least 20 cops, some coming through the side gates of the house, the helicopter was called in. Some dudes were beaten up real bad since they resisted the cops and were trying to fight them. Fucking idiots ruined my good time, I was even riding the mechanical bull.

Ouch Branded, was the incident later shown on TV? I've never ridden a mechanic bull ... is it easy? I was at my colleague's baby shower last night and was kinda alone, so I pretty much sat in a corner the whole time heh. Overall, I had a good time. Doing lunch with a pal this afternoon and do some laundry after.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
IncantatioN said:
Ouch Branded, was the incident later shown on TV? I've never ridden a mechanic bull ... is it easy? I was at my colleague's baby shower last night and was kinda alone, so I pretty much sat in a corner the whole time heh. Overall, I had a good time. Doing lunch with a pal this afternoon and do some laundry after.

I don't think it was shown on tv, there were no reporters there. It's easy while the bull is going slow, but there's someone controlling it, so that person can change speed and spin as he/she pleases.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm going to see The Used tomorrow, I'm hoping they play older stuff because I really only loved the first album. Pretty excited though.

Worked all day yesterday and hit up Brooklyn to see Ulcerate from NZ. Scart Crown (FR) and Tombs opened for em, both were MEH. I love the 3 Ulcerate albums they've put out and didn't expect a lot from them live, being my first time seeing them. They were unbelievably tight, spot on, technical and created diamonds the size of mountains (in terms of expectations), OK!? Jamie's drumming was goose~bumpworthy (here's a link to an older show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh_9sJ2KoXw&feature=relmfu)

Onward to Meshuggah just 3 nights away. C.A.N.N.O.T. .W.A.I.T.

The band posted this on their page "We had our van broken into in New York last night at our accom. We've lost all our guitar gear (preamps, effects units), some drum equipment, stage banner and all of Svart Crown's merch was also ripped off. We're going to keep going but this is a fucking terrible start. We had phenomenal shows in Philadelphia and NYC last night so this is an absolute kick in the fucking teeth." Expensive equipment, totally sucks.

Another day in the office for me.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Watched the Thunder put the Lakers to shame in the last few minutes of the fourth quarter.

It was awesome to see the looks of disappointment on the Lakers fans' faces.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
Watched the Thunder put the Lakers to shame in the last few minutes of the fourth quarter.

Unfortunately, I watched that too. Worse, I actually saw it coming, just like I did in game 2 (of course, I always assume that's going to happen, but you can see why). Same old story, Kobe way too aggressive, Pau not enough, and everyone else lost in the shuffle (God forbid we just throw it down low with a 13 point lead). You'd think such an experienced team would have sense enough to slow down and stop the bleeding, but the Lakers were prone to this even when they were a championship caliber team. I didn't actually expect the Lakers to win this series, but the fact that they could've gone up 3-1, should have really, just makes it all the more disappointing. Now I almost expect them to get blown out in Game 5, because this odd team of mine, when they're not winning rings, knows when to quit, as evidenced by the fact those championships were sandwiched between two 30+ point blowout road losses to Boston and Dallas, respectively (it's a good club to join, those other two teams also won the whole thing). They're not the type of team to fight back in vain just to make the score look respectable or so they can lose in game 6 or 7, like the Nuggets last round, and so many lesser teams the Lakers ultimately put out of their misery (I almost think they have contempt for that sort of effort, "We're better, go away"). Now it's time for the Thunder to be that better team and put us out of ours.

Johnstantine said:
It was awesome to see the looks of disappointment on the Lakers fans' faces.

I might take back that Harden sig. And I would have liked to have seen your face at halftime, right after Westbrook went down. At first I was glad he was okay because he's a UCLA guy and you just don't want to see that sort of thing. By the end of the third quarter though I was thinking, "Couldn't he have at least tweaked his groin or something?"

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Unfortunately, I watched that too. Worse, I actually saw it coming, just like I did in game 2 (of course, I always assume that's going to happen, but you can see why). Same old story, Kobe way too aggressive, Pau not enough, and everyone else lost in the shuffle (God forbid we just throw it down low with a 13 point lead). You'd think such an experienced team would have sense enough to slow down and stop the bleeding, but the Lakers were prone to this even when they were a championship caliber team. I didn't actually expect the Lakers to win this series, but the fact that they could've gone up 3-1, should have really, just makes it all the more disappointing. Now I almost expect them to get blown out in Game 5, because this odd team of mine, when they're not winning rings, knows when to quit, as evidenced by the fact those championships were sandwiched between two 30+ point blowout road losses to Boston and Dallas, respectively (it's a good club to join, those other two teams also won the whole thing). They're not the type of team to fight back in vain just to make the score look respectable or so they can lose in game 6 or 7, like the Nuggets last round, and so many lesser teams the Lakers ultimately put out of their misery (I almost think they have contempt for that sort of effort, "We're better, go away"). Now it's time for the Thunder to be that better team and put us out of ours.

Yeah, I agree with you. Honestly, I'm a little surprised they haven't pulled the shit that they pulled last year (Odom and Bynum). I'm watching Game 5 right now, and I can tell that Artest and Bryant are really getting pissed. All of their main players have 2 or more personals, so this game is about to go downhill.

Actually, as I'm typing this, Artest and Bryant both received technical fouls within 10 seconds of each other. Wow.

I might take back that Harden sig. And I would have liked to have seen your face at halftime, right after Westbrook went down. At first I was glad he was okay because he's a UCLA guy and you just don't want to see that sort of thing. By the end of the third quarter though I was thinking, "Couldn't he have at least tweaked his groin or something?"

I didn't come into the game until roundabout the last three minutes (when KP rebounded and got his 2 points of the game), so the whole premature heartbreak would have been lost on me.

One thing that bothered me about that game was the maintenance that was provided. So many of the players were slip-sliding around. I really think they should have called the game because, man, that shit just wasn't safe to begin with. Either that, or they should have just taken the Clippers out of the series. Because, honestly, they didn't even need to be there. Once we beat LA, we'll be going against the Spurs (the only team that really worries me). Hopefully, they'll be a little winded...but really there's no telling.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Yeah, I agree with you. Honestly, I'm a little surprised they haven't pulled the shit that they pulled last year (Odom and Bynum). I'm watching Game 5 right now, and I can tell that Artest and Bryant are really getting pissed. All of their main players have 2 or more personals, so this game is about to go downhill.

Actually, as I'm typing this, Artest and Bryant both received technical fouls within 10 seconds of each other. Wow.

At least they only embarrassed themselves at basketball this time. Actually, this Laker team overachieved on that front. I didn't think they could even compete with the Thunder, but the toll that and the season took on them showed in those 4th quarters when they just couldn't stop them anymore. Like Dallas, the Lakers had to fight tooth and nail to get in that position, but the Thunder won anyway because they just had to play their game.

Johnstantine said:
I didn't come into the game until roundabout the last three minutes (when KP rebounded and got his 2 points of the game), so the whole premature heartbreak would have been lost on me.

Big fan. I'll PM you to celebrate if they win the championship. :carcus:

Just don't shoot anybody!
Damn, OKC even showed us up in riotous celebration. That's a low blow.

Johnstantine said:
One thing that bothered me about that game was the maintenance that was provided. So many of the players were slip-sliding around. I really think they should have called the game because, man, that shit just wasn't safe to begin with.

I was thinking the same thing, "Do we really want to see Kobe's career end on account of a wet floor?"

Johnstantine said:
Either that, or they should have just taken the Clippers out of the series. Because, honestly, they didn't even need to be there. Once we beat LA, we'll be going against the Spurs (the only team that really worries me). Hopefully, they'll be a little winded...but really there's no telling.

Yeah, we'll see how playing their game works against the Spurs. OKC seemed a bit too happy to beat the Mike Brown Lakers, since they've already been to the Conference Finals before (I guess it's a compliment =). That the Thunder could have really gone down 1-3 to this old Laker team isn't a good sign either, but the fact that they managed to win at the end of all these close games sure is. I don't see this Spurs team being so generous about giving games away though, not with Popovich at the helm (I hope old sourpuss Perkins has been practicing his free throws and temper-tantrums). I don't really care which team wins, part of me wants to see Fisher and the likable Thunder win one (and probably more, add championship confidence to that young talent and watch out), but I wouldn't mind seeing our old rivals the Spurs win another one for the old guys, even if it means Duncan ties Kobe in rings (we usually beat them head to head anyway =). I'm just counting on whoever comes out of the West to please, please put down whoever comes out of the East. If mortal enemy Boston gets another championship ahead of us or the contemptible Heat win it won't be a good summer.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Big fan. I'll PM you to celebrate if they win the championship. :carcus:

Just don't shoot anybody!
Damn, OKC even showed us up in riotous celebration. That's a low blow.

Hey man, even Oklahoma has sour Lakers fans :troll:

Yeah, we'll see how playing their game works against the Spurs. OKC seemed a bit too happy to beat the Mike Brown Lakers, since they've already been to the Conference Finals before (I guess it's a compliment =). That the Thunder could have really gone down 1-3 to this old Laker team isn't a good sign either, but the fact that they managed to win at the end of all these close games sure is. I don't see this Spurs team being so generous about giving games away though, not with Popovich at the helm (I hope old sourpuss Perkins has been practicing his free throws and temper-tantrums). I don't really care which team wins, part of me wants to see Fisher and the likable Thunder win one (and probably more, add championship confidence to that young talent and watch out), but I wouldn't mind seeing our old rivals the Spurs win another one for the old guys, even if it means Duncan ties Kobe in rings (we usually beat them head to head anyway =). I'm just counting on whoever comes out of the West to please, please put down whoever comes out of the East. If mortal enemy Boston gets another championship ahead of us or the contemptible Heat win it won't be a good summer.

Agreed. The Spurs are definitely saddling up to be the champs. KD even said the Spurs would be a tough victory. But, after last night's performance, it really showed how much of a team game the Thunder actually play. Westbrook was hogging the ball for a bit, but he had a good amount of field goals actually scored. Ibaka, Sefalohsa, and Perkins all did what they needed to do, as did Collison and Harden once they came off the bench. It was definitely a wonderful game to watch. We could have shut them out completely (and we almost did), but I think our team was just tired going out to LA that first time around. After that, though, we picked it up.

All in all, I'm pretty sure Fisher is going to retire after this season. He's the oldest on the team, so hopefully he'll get his final championship under his belt. Also, Maynor will be back next year...so we'll have the team together again=)

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Agreed. The Spurs are definitely saddling up to be the champs. KD even said the Spurs would be a tough victory. But, after last night's performance, it really showed how much of a team game the Thunder actually play. Westbrook was hogging the ball for a bit, but he had a good amount of field goals actually scored. Ibaka, Sefalohsa, and Perkins all did what they needed to do, as did Collison and Harden once they came off the bench.

It's going to be great, this Spurs team is basically the ideal of basketball and go ten deep, and the Thunder seemingly have limitless potential, it's like two unstoppable forces meeting. The Spurs are physically vulnerable to injury, and the Thunder mentally, as you said they could have swept the Lakers, but also could've really blown it.

Johnstantine said:
All in all, I'm pretty sure Fisher is going to retire after this season. He's the oldest on the team, so hopefully he'll get his final championship under his belt. Also, Maynor will be back next year...so we'll have the team together again=)

Are you kidding? Fisher knows the best time to sign a new contract is after winning a championship. =)

BTW, you didn't see, but it was a Fisher 3 that started that rally to kill the Lakers 13 point 4th quarter lead. :judo:

It's been hell at work the past few weeks with working on weekends, etc. but I took a breather this weekend because a cousin was visiting me. So we did a bit of touristy stuff - Brooklyn bridge, Chinatown, watched Memphis - the Broadway play, Little Italy, Wall Street, 9/11 Memorial, Union Square, Macy's from the outside only though, Times Square by day and by night, Apple store at 5h Ave, Grand Central station, Chelsea Market, Central Park only a bit of, Rockefeller Center's Observation Deck for a view of the skyline. There's still a bunch to check out but maybe next time. Below are pictures of the view from both sides of the observation deck and of the Broadway stage, terrible seats.

download-2.jpg

download1-1.jpg

download2-1.jpg

Now, back to the grind.

I went for MartyrdooM which was AWESOME. It's 5:30 AM, bright outside, my ears are still ringing from the show and I'm gonna watch another movie cos I can't sleep heh. I promised myself not to buy any more band tees cos they're usually all black but I couldn't help myself man, picked up 3 tees for Dead Congregation, 3 for Perdition Temple and an Evoken one. Watched Evoken play a song (one of my favorite Doom bands) and then hopped to the side venue to watch the full Perdition Temple set - brought a big smile to my face, so fast and Angel Corpse~y, brilliant, pissed-off and just as they sound on CD. Encoffination were boring, hopped to the side to check out Grave Miasma - they had some crowd I'll admit but they're boring to me. Grabbed a slice of pizza at around 10:30 and headed back to see a bit of Anu, decent Blackmetal. We'd missed Cruciamentum though, oh well. Stood right in front of the vocalist for Dead Congregation and witnessed such a cool set. They're playing at another venue this evening and I might go. Right after they finished, hopped over to see the last band just for a bit - theatrics galore wearing gas masks and the red+black cloth scrolls hinted a NS vibe. Half a song into their set, we left. I skipped Sanguis Imperium and Father Befouled cos they're both meh.

Evoken
download-4.jpg

Perdition Temple
download1-2.jpg

Vocalist of Dead Congregation
download2-2.jpg

I hurt the left side of my ribs cos I got pushed suddenly n the stage hit em. Yeah! Took a picture with the Guitarist/ Vocalist for Evoken but I look SO lame.

turkitage

ターク
IncantatioN said:
I went for MartyrdooM which was AWESOME.

Cool. I've never really liked concerts in general and now I just don't go. The crowd, noise, and smell just bother me way too much to enjoy. Would much rather have a recorded DVD of the concert personally.

I went camping, expected not to like it - and I didn't.

I hear you. I didn't go to the other show yesterday because I was exhausted from this one and was too lazy heh. Of course the crowd and other things come hand in hand with shows, doesn't matter if it's a bigger or smaller venue. This venue had A/C's so there weren't a lot of people sweating. Like, it's disgusting to walk through a section smelling of people smoking weed. Depends though, I love watching bands live. Sometimes they sound a lot better than on CD or they'd outright suck.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In the process of moving (not far, but a bigger place). That in combination with the chaos in Maryland as a result of the storm+power outages+heat wave made things just completely insane. Like I told a cop I happened to encounter, this was a small taste of the end of the world, and he nodded and laughed.

Won't have dedicated Internet at the new place for a few days so I won't be around here much. But hey, no Berserk this Friday anyway. Keep the lights running, guys! :guts:

Top Bottom