What'd you do over the weekend?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Last Thursday i went to the 2013 Vans Warped tour and had a blast. It was down pouring for the first hour and forecasts showed thunderstorms all day but it cleared up quick (i even got sunburned). My buddys and I literally ran around all day to catch our favorite bands but there were so many we actually had to miss a few. I did, however, get to see the full sets of Oh Sleeper, Silverstein, Letlive (best live performance i've ever seen) Chiodos, The Used, August Burns Red, I See Stars and more. I had so much fun.

Aaaand this Saturday I get to see Chelsea Grin, Veil Of Maya, Everytime I Die and tons more on this summers All Stars tour and Rob Zombie and all the bands on Mayhem Fest on Sunday. I'm already thinking of what sickness I'll use to call out of work Monday.

Even though it was a couple weekends ago, my Civil War Reenacting group flew from Oregon to Pennsylvania for the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. We had 10,000+ reenactors and around 200,000 spectators during the event. It was an incredible experience as we were not only able to tour the actual Gettysburg battlefield, but we stopped by Antietam as well for a day. This was my second big reenactment, my first was Shiloh last year, but we plan to at least participate in one more 150th event.

I'm on the bottom right holding the sign.
1069815_602546246442674_1908248575_n.jpg

gettysburg-civil-war.jpg

i-qt8Q7vc-L.jpg

969690_684235194925044_2037468615_n.jpg

REU-USA-GETTYSBURGREENAC-4.jpg

Thanks! It was the culmination of nearly a year's worth of planning. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into this wedding. Ultimately, it was a night I will never forget and I'm so lucky to have married a woman of Emi's calibre.

We're aiming to have kids in ~4 years. So hopefully from now until then, we will able to enjoy the fruits life have to offer. Heading to Japan on the 5th. Eagerly awaiting shopping in Akihabara. I was trying to make a good impression the first time I went and kept my geekdom under tight wraps.

Now, it's time to get my Nippon Shopping On. :daiba:

Holy hell though. Having wedding pictures taken in Times Square is quite terrifying. Not only is your photographer taking pictures of you, but so are 200 other strangers... I will say, it made our 'surprise' first dance less of an issue for me.

Finally got to go and watch some tennis in the flesh at the US Open. Love the sport, following it since I was a kid. Got tickets thanks to DirectDK. Went on Saturday, early around 10, got to see full matches for Kirilenko vs Halep and Azarenka vs Cornet. We got to see Azarenka and Cornet practice before their games too. Last few games of the Hantuchova game, she won and DK got an autographed tennis ball from her. Caught the last game of Nadal's match where he won at Ashe and stayed for the Williams sisters doubles match, only stayed for the first set cos it was boring. Watched the last few games of a very lively Isner vs Kohlshreiber match, the crowd was insane. Isner lost, we stayed for the first set of Rodredo's match and left around 9 I think. Hope to go again, good fun. I didn't take many pictures unfortunately ...

Kirilenko vs Halep
20130831_105818_zpsb5eb40bc.jpg

Azarenka vs Cornet
20130831_122500_zpsc08635c0.jpg

20130831_122510_zps670a92bc.jpg

Hantuchova
20130831_151546_zps14785546.jpg

Nadal
20130831_161915_zps505615ea.jpg

Williams
20130831_164601_zps832853e2.jpg

Got sunburnt ... my face is super-tanned
20130831_213121_zps4f809d2e.jpg

Any tennis fans on SK?

IncantatioN said:
Any tennis fans on SK?

I like both playing and watching tennis. I've been following the US Open as much as possible (the time difference complicates things on weekdays). The most recent matches I watched were Wawrinka vs Djokovic, Nadal vs Gasquet and Williams vs Na. I was rooting for Wawrinka on his semifinal but he just couldn't close it. Tomorrow's final will be a good match and I think Nadal will win.

m said:
I like both playing and watching tennis. I've been following the US Open as much as possible (the time difference complicates things on weekdays). The most recent matches I watched were Wawrinka vs Djokovic, Nadal vs Gasquet and Williams vs Na. I was rooting for Wawrinka on his semifinal but he just couldn't close it. Tomorrow's final will be a good match and I think Nadal will win.

Nice man! Yeah, I was rooting for Wawrinka on that semi and he lost =_= ... I also wanted Gasquet to beat Nadal and that didn't happen ... then yesterday I was rooting for Azarenka but Serena won. Today I'm going to try not to think about who I want to win, it'll be hard heh.

TheBranded1 said:
Yes! I been watching the US open when it's on tv or I'm home . Will watch Nadal Vs Djikovich

Yeah, I'll catch some commentary at work and hit up a sports bar in the city to catch the rest of it so I don't miss out on a lot. Getting home from work takes me about an hour door-to-door.

I *would* be spending my weekend at the Connichi 2013 now...
http://www.connichi.de/
It's the largest anime convention here in Germany, being held since 2000. The whole crew from Studio Gainax is there this year, even the president.
But from the 3 friends i wanted to go there with, one is currently sick and the other two just bailed out on me at the last moment. "What, its so expensive? Sorry i dont have the money for that" yeah right, but for every other crap they usually throw their money out of the window without hesitation

Hey this sounds pretty cool
Werdet Teil des Connichi Kurzanimes!

Unser Ehrengast Yasuhiro Irie trat mit einer ungewöhnlichen Bitte an uns heran. Er hätte gerne einen PC und Scanner, sowie einen Ort im Kongresspalais, wo er zeichnen kann.

Selbstverständlich erfüllen wir ihm diesen Wunsch und so könnt ihr auf der Connichi Irie beim Arbeiten über die Schulter schauen im Gang zwischen Festsaal und Blauem Saal. Irie wird während der Connichi zeichen, was er sieht, wen er sieht und am Ende erstellt er eine Kurzanimation.
Become part of the Connichi short animation!

Our honor guest Yasuhiro Irie approached us with an unusual wish. He would like to have a PC and a scanner, as well as a place in the congress hall, where he can draw.

Of course we granted him this wish and now you can watch Irie over the shoulder at his work in the hallway between ballroom and the blue hall. Irie will be drawing his impressions from the Connichi, and will produce a short animation in the end

Yasuhiro Irie from Studio Sunrise was responsible for key animation in shows like Visions of Escaflowne, Gundam, Cowboy Bebop

Hit up NY Comic Con this weekend for the first time with DK and friends. Friday we checked out the main merch floor. Saturday we holed ourselves up in 1 hall all day (from about 10:20), so we could get closer/ better seats for The Walking Dead panel which began around 6:45 or 7. In doing so, we got to see a Superman 75th anniversary panel and an Agents of Shield one (got to see next week's full episode with nobody recording it on their phones) and oh, the Archer panel which was funny. Had to sit through Teen Wolf (woke us up with crazy loud women screaming or exclaiming "aaauuuuhhh" at about everything). Sunday I got a friend's Zoidberg figure signed by Billy West (voices of Zoidberg, Fry, the Professor, Stimpy from Ren & Stimpy) and met him, saw Gillian Anderson signing while DK waited for Duchovny, can't believe I got to be that close to Mulder and Skully, unbelievable, such a big fan of the show. Checked out more of the merch room and finally the artist's alley, next time I'd like to spend more time at the artist's alley. Overall, good fun. Less anime cosplays than I'm used to seeing at Otakon.

20131013_111035_zps50816004.jpg

20131011_155919_zps1baa2b60.jpg

They screened the dub for movie 3 on Saturday
20131011_173538_zps566185b4.jpg

Caught my eye at dinner ... funny to see Bobs Burgers like that
20131011_212610_zps7162fa55.jpg

20131013_101507_zpsfe3c2575.jpg

20131013_132728_zps810276ad.jpg

20131013_144107_zps05309a75.jpg

20131013_144820_zps76c52959.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
IncantatioN said:
Hit up NY Comic Con this weekend for the first time with DK and friends. Friday we checked out the main merch floor. Saturday we holed ourselves up in 1 hall all day (from about 10:20), so we could get closer/ better seats for The Walking Dead panel which began around 6:45 or 7. In doing so, we got to see a Superman 75th anniversary panel and an Agents of Shield one (got to see next week's full episode with nobody recording it on their phones) and oh, the Archer panel which was funny. Had to sit through Teen Wolf (woke us up with crazy loud women screaming or exclaiming "aaauuuuhhh" at about everything). Sunday I got a friend's Zoidberg figure signed by Billy West (voices of Zoidberg, Fry, the Professor, Stimpy from Ren & Stimpy) and met him, saw Gillian Anderson signing while DK waited for Duchovny, can't believe I got to be that close to Mulder and Skully, unbelievable, such a big fan of the show. Checked out more of the merch room and finally the artist's alley, next time I'd like to spend more time at the artist's alley. Overall, good fun. Less anime cosplays than I'm used to seeing at Otakon.
Whoa, I must've missed this post. It sounds like a lot of fun, man! Though, I wasn't expecting Billy West to look so much like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Maybe it's just the angle... :magni: That guy dressed as Ariel is perfection, though. He even brought a giant dinglehopper!

Yeah, had a blast! That cosplayer's attention to detail was pretty good and humorous, one of the best I saw at the con X'D

Billy was humble and prompted me to take a picture with him. I would've prolly walked away after the signing. You're required to pay extra money if you want a signing and photo but I don't think he had that sort of arrangement. He said "Ohhhh niiiiiiiiice" when he saw the Zoidberg he was signing, supposedly rare cos he's blue (alternate universe). Gillian Anderson was extra cool, she took her time to check everything that came to her for signing and was very involved/ animated talking to fans.

Nice unshaved beard-stache combo Gobs. Colored faces looks like fun Branded and those skulls remind me of the myth about those 13 crystal skulls.

This weekend I was showing a close pal around the city, this was his first visit to the US. In the evening I was hitting up different YT videos and got linked to some X Factor one. I must've watched another 6/7 ones and ... it's goddamn emotional stuff! That show is pure evil :femto:

Top Bottom