Who plays RPGs? What's your favorite?

I was so hyped about Vagrant story years ago, then i got it. It was a blast, for a very short time. It got old quick like y'all said. Oh well. Then I ventured into Diablo II. I'll never get those 2 years of my life back.... :isidro:

- C

BiQ_

" ... "
Some time ago I was a quite huge JRPG fan, and swore by the Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3. FFVI was also very close to my heart. Chrono Cross and FFIX were somewhat good too.

Then, I found out that I don't have the time to invest into these games, and turned to shmups.

On this topic, I have an interesting proposition for the thread: What, do you think, is the most underrated RPG ever released? My vote has to be for Grandia on the Saturn, no doubt.

Well again, I beg to differ.
There's a difference between "Under Rated", implying the game was received/reviewed under what you would score it (say it gets a 5-6 and you find it worthy a 7-8-9) and "under looked", meaning a game that never achieved a massive fanbase, however, they usually wind up cult classics anyways (well, almost anything does). In that sense, there is no truly over looked or under rated game in my book. However, If I had to say, Wizardry, Shadowrun and Tactics Ogre are some that I would qualify for RPGS".

Well, if it's a matter of semantics, most OVERLOOKED. But I still think Grandia is underrated, because it was a superior game in relation to the PSX Final Fantasies, yet it rarely is compared to them. The PSX port didn't do the Saturn version justice, either...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Well, if it's a matter of semantics, most OVERLOOKED. But I still think Grandia is underrated, because it was a superior game in relation to the PSX Final Fantasies, yet it rarely is compared to them. The PSX port didn't do the Saturn version justice, either...
Man, the voice acting just about ruined that game for me. Fucking Sue after those battles, and her high-pitched scream when she casts stuff... UGH! Just about everything about the voice acting for that title was an embarassment, and I had to turn the volume on mute several times just to get through it...

Still, Grandia had an awesome battle and leveling system that never got old. They switched up the party elements really well too. Too bad the plot/voice acting sucked so much. What a hamper.

Another underrated game I thought was great was Wild Arms. I really dug that when it first came out in 1997. Admittedly, my FF7 Demo probably got more play time... But still, it was certainly a step in the right direction for Sony after Beyond the Beyond.

Final Fantasy 7~Thats right. I don't care what any body says. For the most part all FF's are pretty good.
Kingdom Hearts 1/2
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Zelda-Link to the Past
Parasite Eve
Fable (I love Fable!)
Knights of the old Republic (Fun Fun)
Fire Emblem
Skys of Arcaida (GC verson is great)
-Castlevaina SOTN is always classic/ Not sure if it rates a RPG

Thank God some one created RPG's...other wise games would be pretty short.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Super Metroid
Zelda-Link to the Past
Castlevaina SOTN is always classic/ Not sure if it rates a RPG

None of the games I just quoted are RPGs. SotN would be the closest out of the 3.

For my money, I'm not even sure that battle system in FFXII counts as belonging to an RPG. :troll:

Seriously though, I don't know how people can't understand the difference. Turn based battle, experience system, talking to NPCs= RPG. I can see mixing up an action-RPG or maybe a strategy RPG, but come on people, Metroid?!. I remember when we nerds used to have pride!

bph said:
For my money, I'm not even sure that battle system in FFXII counts as belonging to an RPG. :troll:

Seriously though, I don't know how people can't understand the difference. Turn based battle, experience system, talking to NPCs= RPG. I can see mixing up an action-RPG or maybe a strategy RPG, but come on people, Metroid?!. I remember when we nerds used to have pride!
Er, you do realize that there were RPGs that didn't use turn-based systems before J-RPGs or FF? And no offense, if you can't realize FFXII has the same core battle system as all previous FFs you're judging on a very poor scale. Not all jrpgs used ATB, and even FFXII still does. If you ever watched the creator commentary on the battle system, the only difference is a deduction of "time" in replace of "dynamic", that doesn't remove "role-playing" game from the title. Every character still runs on a set time function per action and attack, the only difference is they removed the meter that told you and remove much of the hassle of "screen shatter", "load up battle", "select commands", "victory fanfare", again "Dynamic". The concept an RPG isn't defined by its use of FFIV's active time battle system...or Final Fantasy for that matter.

Top Bottom