Why didn't Guts like when people touched him in the BS arc?

I get why he didn't like it, but i thought he got over it in the Golden Age Saga, so why was he like that in the Black Swordsman Saga as well?

I don't think what happened in the Golden Age between him and Casca is supposed to mean that he's over it. Guts finding love and acceptance with Casca did bring him a lot of peace, but it doesn't erase his past. Miura does a great job of making his characters very human and, like any traumatizing experience in a person's life, it's not as simple as just getting over it and POOF! you're cured.

Plus the Black Swordsman arc is a major lowpoint for Guts. He's just been betrayed by Griffith, the person he thought of as his best friend, and witnessed the rape of the woman he loves at his hands. I mean that's bound to bring up trust issues!

Fantasygeek said:
I get why he didn't like it, but i thought he got over it in the Golden Age Saga, so why was he like that in the Black Swordsman Saga as well?

I am going to have to re-read the Black Swordsman arc, because I do not really recall him acting this way to much during that time. To me Guts just seemed over-all anti-social and stuck on "asshole" mode in a general sense through out the time in the manga...

Vixen Comics said:
I am going to have to re-read the Black Swordsman arc, because I do not really recall him acting this way to much during that time. To me Guts just seemed over-all anti-social and stuck on "asshole" mode in a general sense through out the time in the manga...

Yup, "asshole" mode sums up Guts' attitude pretty well at that point! LOL I don't think the whole anti-touching thing did happen all that much in the Black Swordsman arc. There was one instance I saw when Puck comes to find Guts in the dungeon in volume 1 and tries to heal him. Guts gets upset and barks at Puck not to touch him.
Guts had been tortured and looks to be incapacitated, plus he had just seen his demon baby and so was understandably freaked out by all that. Taking the context into consideration, on top everything else he had been through with the eclipse, it makes sense why he would be feeling extra vulnerable and would yell at puck when he tried to touch him. I guess at that point Guts' reaction might not have even been so much about his past experience with Donovan, although that could still be part of the fear aspect for sure, as it was like how a frightened and wounded animal would react with aggression when someone tried to come near it. Puck overcame this, though, and helped Guts anyway. :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JMP said:
There was one instance I saw when Puck comes to find Guts in the dungeon in volume 1 and tries to heal him. Guts gets upset and barks at Puck not to touch him.

Guts tells Vargas not to touch him as well.

Aazealh said:
Guts tells Vargas not to touch him as well.

Yeah, I overlooked that one. It was a pretty violent reaction, too. Guts kicked Vargas into a shelf. He was definitely on hostility overload at that point. Plus, as Puck brought up later when Vargas was about to get executed, Guts' feelings about Vargas were complicated because Vargas was like an embodiment of Guts' own fear in a way.

But anyway, the no touching rule was definitely still in place!

childhood rape and then witnessing every being you love and cherish murdered horribly and the woman you love raped by the man you consider your best friend tends to leave you angry and untrusting. Any progress he made was wholly undone

Top Bottom