Why Does Puck Change Appearance?

JK17

Out From Under The Shadows
I've tried searching but I can't seem to find anything, whether it is here on this forum or anywhere else. And I ask to not be so hard on me if this is a stupid question: Why does Puck's physical form change from a typical small humanoid fairy to a puffy almost Moogle final fantasy like? I've read the entire series (currently re-reading again) and there's no explanation. Is Puck literally changing their physical appearance or some sort of illusion for the reader or something.

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's been bugging me!

My take on this is that Puck is not actually changing form, but that Miura simply chooses to present him to us in the way that suits the occasion (though I don't have much to back up my opinion).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
My take on this is that Puck is not actually changing form, but that Miura simply chooses to present him to us in the way that suits the occasion (though I don't have much to back up my opinion).

This pretty much sums it up.

Puck isn't a shape-shifter, Miura simply changes the way he is depicted depending on the situation. This is a well-known type of Japanese caricature called "super deformed". It's typically used to underline comical circumstances.

And it's not limited to Puck in Berserk, it's applied to other characters as well, like Ivalera, Isidro and a bunch of others. Even Guts & Casca have had little caricatural depictions before. Puck is the most recognizable because he's by far the one who's most featured in that way and also because of his unique design (of which both variations are chestnut-themed).

JK17

Out From Under The Shadows
Aazealh said:
This pretty much sums it up.

Puck isn't a shape-shifter, Miura simply changes the way he is depicted depending on the situation. This is a well-known type of Japanese caricature called "super deformed". It's typically used to underline comical circumstances.

And it's not limited to Puck in Berserk, it's applied to other characters as well, like Ivalera, Isidro and a bunch of others. Even Guts & Casca have had little caricatural depictions before. Puck is the most recognizable because he's by far the one who's most featured in that way and also because of his unique design (of which both variations are chestnut-themed).

Oh okay, that makes more sense now. And I'm new to Manga, so this was the first time I've seen such a thing. I appreciate your understanding and patience. And I do remember when specifically Isidro looked more comical like from those cartoon comics in newspapers, lol. I probably should have correlated this, but I've got a lot on my brain. Anyway, thanks again.

Top Bottom