WIP - Commission 1/8 Guts Berserker from Headlong

Another Berserk commission, even from the same company as the last one I did though imho this one is infinitely cooler/better/bigger/badder etc etc...

picture.php
<- yours truly

picture.php

+ the prepwork is a walk in the park. Seam lines are pretty much non existent and the only dud was the rather big midpart of the cape which must've been taken out of the mould prior to cooling down.
Enter hot water and some clamps and problem solved.

commissioner said:
- I would like to have the pillar of rock extruding from a wider mound of larger rocks (boulders if you will).
- The texture of the boulders should mimic the pillar (though the bigger the boulder, the less jagged the faces are).

Sure thing.
Liquid rubber ftw!

I'll cast pieces with plaster of paris and stretch the rubber mould differently for each cast making the sections not so like each other.
I'll also use some Woodland Scenics moulds I have + a few real stones.

Commissioner said:
Eyes
- Glittering red paint in the sockets, then covered it with a layer of clear gel, giving it a bit of depth, glow, and shine.
- Basically, whatever makes the eyes stand out without being overly candy-apple red.

Will do.
However .. the eyes as they are cast would need some alteration depth wise;

I believe the *structure* in the eye slits will mess up what I have in mind, so with your permission I'll just groove them out to enhance the paint effects.

Tonight's summary:
Apart from the prep work (sanding etc) I glued 2 sections together; torso with arms + legs and cod piece.

Tomorrow:
-Add more rubber to the pillar mould.
-Clean up the head/jaw parts.
-Putty up the seams.
-Prime him.

More to come...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Nice! I love seeing these work-in-progress threads. That EVA-01 you're working on is pretty sweet, too. :guts:

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Joa said:
the only dud was the rather big midpart of the cape which must've been taken out of the mould prior to cooling down.
Enter hot water and some clamps and problem solved.

I have made this kit myself and had exactly the same problem with the midpart of the cape. Took me ages to carve and sand it to fit - I never even thought to heat it and try to reshape it. Shows what skill and experience you have Joa - I'll remember this for future reference.

Grovel said:
I have made this kit myself and had exactly the same problem with the midpart of the cape. // I'll remember this for future reference.

And that's why I love WIP threads .. ;)

Fixed the eyes:

_______before:_____________ after:

I always appreciated this kit and your past build-up, so I wonder how you will put your touch on it...
I'm sure that it will turn out in something wonderful, Joa!.

Ok, so the putty I used hasn't cured yet, so no priming tonight.
This Suxx in a bad way...

Well, I didn't spend the day doing nothing.

I finished the mould I begun yesterday and ... well pics vs. words.. ^^´

<- cured liquid rubber

<- enter plaster weave

<- there, a sturdy cradle for the nould

<- ready for the 1st pour

<- will you look at that! It'(s) Rocks!

Yeah, I'm such a laugh...

yesmilord said:
Hah that's funny. I remember seeing that exact painted kit on some collector's site about 3 years ago.

And if I'm not mistaken, there are 31 bids on that thing so far? Sheesh.

Yeah I know and its going for 50 000 yen! :isidro: I'm not suprised though this person did a pretty good job although in the pictures they posted in their auction it seems as though this person only painted one eye red.

yesmilord

千年王国
slan69 said:
Yeah I know and its going for 50 000 yen! :isidro: I'm not suprised though this person did a pretty good job although in the pictures they posted in their auction it seems as though this person only painted one eye red.

Yep. He was being literal with the fact that Guts only has his left eye.
I'm pretty sure the armored berserk has both eyes glowing.

yesmilord said:
Yep. He was being literal with the fact that Guts only has his left eye.
I'm pretty sure the armored berserk has both eyes glowing.

Oh okay I see but when Guts uses the Berserker armor both eyes are red.

@Slan & all: I'd appreciate if comments in this wip thread would be limited to constructive critique and questions regarding the build.
Thank you.

The cape will simply be hung over his shoulder, and due to the rather intricate detailing on it I won't be pinning this quite big and Heavy piece.
Hence ..

.. I drilled corresponding hole patterns where I will add Liquid Steel (a very strong epoxy putty) which will make this baby totally set.

Oh, and I've primed the armour parts:

Commissioner said:
- On the left side of the base, a rectangle shape will be cut out from the rocks, and in it will be, vertically engraved, "狂 戦 士" (which means Berserker).

<- Pencil sketch

<- After a hot date with my Dremel and a black wash

<- Presto!

He's coming together...

Here I dry brushed Humbrol silver #11 (an Enamel paint) on the entire suit:

Then I used white spirit and simply evened out the metallic pigments on all surfaces.
After that I used oils (Winsor Newton's Winton colours) together with white spirit and added rust to all rivets and recessed areas:

After that came the fun part where I added greens, reds, blues and black to the mix in order to accommodate the commissioner's wishes;
the Commissioner said:
- The use of several analogous metallic tones (like gunmetal silver, copper, maybe a bit of rust, a bit of green from rusted copper) to supplement the basic silver/black of the armor will make it stand out above all other Armored Berserks ever painted.

This is where I left off tonight as oils have the disadvantage of very long curing time:

picture.php
picture.php

Tuesday, I'll add a dark wash over this, follow up with more dry brushing but this time with a buffable paint and then a final wash.

Meanwhile I'll work on the base which I got approved yesterday.
Here's a silly photoshop mock up:

More to come ...

** edit

I forgot ...
The cape. I primded it.
The midsection that was warped from start had been taken care of, so I just heated the side parts and fixated them with CA glue.
I then sculpted in the minimal gap with Tamiya Epoxy putty (smooth surface type):

slan69 said:
Do you have any plans yet on if you're going to paint both eyes red Joa?
[quote author=yesmilord]I'm pretty sure the armored berserk has both eyes glowing.[/quote]

There you go ..

Thanks, gents! :chomp:

The oils dried up nicely thanks to the warm weather...

Here I've dry brushed buffable Humbrol Metal Cote Polished Steel (which I then polished) on all sharp and raised points:

I followed through with some dry pastels in recesses + added more burnt umber oil for the rusted areas.

I also started the eyes ....
White base in the sockets, then darkish red, then transparent gel with some flame red mixed in.

.. will top off with clear cote with some more flame red.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
It's looking better and better with each post, Joa. I really like what you did with the Humbrol Metal Cote Polished Steel. :serpico:

Today I begun painting the cape, and since I thought it'd be over in an hour it took me ~5½.

picture.php

Why?

Because of .... PINHOLES.

picture.php

They are nigh impossible to spot on the untreated/unprimed resin surface .. at least when embedded among such detailed wrinkles.
They didn't even show after the white primer, but after 2-3 washes of darkish blacks/browns...
It took me a good 3½ hours to fill all of them with paint, and theses pics were taken when I was done. Or so I thought. Apparently... -_-

I'll do the rest tomorrow when I've calmed down.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Top Bottom