Your most hated words

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
More of a phrase for me: "Grab a beer".

Wow. Yeah, my most hated: "Get me a glass of water."
nerdrage.gif

Viral Harvest said:
subtle tones of homophobia and assertions of surprisingly fragile masculinity.

Hell yeah, subtlety is for fags. :badbone:

Bekul said:
'Jelly', as in 'u jelly bro?'

C'mon, you made that up?

Here's another great entry:

"Hello."

Ugh, just fuck off with that shit already! And don't get me started on "hi" either, only bitches and pansies say that. If you say the word "hi" to me, we better be blazin' it (or saying yes in Japanese)! ROCK!

Griffith

Handmade_lion said:
"Sup."

I hate "sup." If this gets texted or messaged to me I will not reply to it.

Now you've sort of called my bluff, because I actually razzed someone in the chatroom for saying "sup."

Though, I probably say it all the time. Oh well. :griffnotevil:

Don't Like:
-Epic
-That's Metal
-Brutal
-Legendary
-Powned/Owned
-Bro
-Bones
-Dog
-Freak
-Pimp
-Blog
-App

-HATERS (HAS TO BE THE WORST FOR ME)

Strangely do Like:
-Winning!
-Beast
-Samuel Jackson Mother F***cker
-Safe Journeys
-There is Much Rejoicing... Yay....
-Fatality...

Griffith said:
C'mon, you made that up?

Sadly, it's real. There was this Australian guy named Aziz Shavershian (Zyzz was his nickname) who transformed from a skinny wimp to a ripped ladies' man. He posted tons of videos on Youtube. A lot of guys looked up to him because he was kind of living their dream (computer nerd becomes physically attractive and beds beautiful women) so they turned him into some kind of internet patron faux-saint. Anyways, I mention him because he essentially started his own lingo and "u jelly, bro? (Are you jealous, brother?)" is included. As is "U mirin? (Are you admiring [me]?)"

hxxp://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/culture/blogs/all-men-are-liars/zyzz-ripped-from-this-life-too-young-20110811-1ioik.html

Walter said:
"I could care less."

Really? You COULD care less? So you actually DO care, a little?

That's hilarious! I react the exact same way to "I could care less." I have to point that out every time someone says it. I don't know why.

turkitage

ターク
omgwtfbbq

I hate the fact that this word (in quotes mind you) gets 1,180,000 results as of writing this in a Google search. I've even seen variations of this as alias as well and it's just annoying.

I get it. You're a prepubescent teen that can combine acronyms together.

Now STFU and GTFO PLOZ. kthx.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Turkitage said:
omgwtfbbq

I get it. You're a prepubescent teen that can combine acronyms together.

Now STFU and GTFO PLOZ. kthx.
But that's really not the origin of the phrase. It started being used to make fun of morons who used those kinds of acronyms too regularly. It makes more sense in the context of Internet culture in the early 2000s, when there was a huge library of dumbshit acronyms in common usage. Thankfully that usage has been scaled back... But I agree that now it's become a bad joke that won't die.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Metroidvania.

By God I have to concur. I couldn't think of a truly hateful word, but that certainly is one.

Other than that and what's been posted, I tend to dislike words like "geek" and "gamer", not so much because of the words themselves but rather because of how they're used by people.

Griffith

Walter said:
Metroidvania.

On that note, wouldn't "Castletroid" have been much better? :guts:

Aazealh said:
not so much because of the words themselves but rather because of how they're used by people.

That's really what it comes down to. Half the words people cite in here I actually have fondness for because I've never actually heard anyone say them seriously, but only as an ironic joke on the people that would use them and the words themselves. Kind of takes the sting out, what's that called? Oh yeah...

Empowerment
Victim
Hero (when describing people that are simply misfortunate)

These words are ironic even when they are used seriously.

Aazealh said:
By God I have to concur. I couldn't think of a truly hateful word, but that certainly is one.

Other than that and what's been posted, I tend to dislike words like "geek" and "gamer", not so much because of the words themselves but rather because of how they're used by people.

This makes me think of gamers that use "Hardcore" to describe themselves a lot.

-Hardcore Gamer
-Hardcore Fan
-Hardcore Player ect.

"Heavy" also come close. But it doesn't have that arrogant edge that saying "Hardcore" does.

Griffith said:
Good call, kind of embodies the spirit of the thread.

That was pretty funny, but I think we hate words for more than that. It's not just abusing hyperbole; we hate propaganda, advertising buzzwords, stupid puns, and some of the ways technology has changed how we treat others.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
That was pretty funny, but I think we hate words for more than that. It's not just abusing hyperbole; we hate propaganda, advertising buzzwords, stupid puns, and some of the ways technology has changed how we treat others.

Or perhaps people just have irrational issues with words. For example, I can't say I hate the expression but I've aways had a problem with people telling me "you're welcome" after I thank them. I don't know why, I do understand that it's the proper reply, but every time I hear it or even read it, I get a bit upset (though I have to admit that it was worse a few years ago). I myself never (or very seldom) use that expression, instead using less appropriate replies such as "no problem". Go figure.

m said:
Or perhaps people just have irrational issues with words. For example, I can't say I hate the expression but I've aways had a problem with people telling me "you're welcome" after I thank them. I don't know why, I do understand that it's the proper reply, but every time I hear it or even read it, I get a bit upset (though I have to admit that it was worse a few years ago). I myself never (or very seldom) use that expression, instead using less appropriate replies such as "no problem". Go figure.

Most of it is inconsequential, but some words manipulate public opinion. How much support do you think there would be for 'racial profiling' had it been called 'racist profiling' instead?

Griffith

Groovy Metal Fist said:
Most of it is inconsequential, but some words manipulate public opinion. How much support do you think there would be for 'racial profiling' had it been called 'racist profiling' instead?

Yeah, but racial profiling is already a largely pejorative phrase that has a few different technical meanings, including overt and covert racism. It's not a whitewashed euphemism any more than a lot of terminology used in critical race theory, like racialization. That's actually an example of you trying to manipulate public opinion through words. =)

Top Bottom