Your Top Games of... Your Lifetime

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
As with the last thread, you pick your top games for each year, but now you're choosing for your entire life! This means Grail and Rhombaad don't have to worry about how behind the times they are.

My somewhat extensive list (unreleased/anticipated are in italics):

1984Tetris, Duck Hunt, Urban Champion, Exitebike
1985Super Mario Bros, Gauntlet, Ghouls 'n Goblins
1986The Legend of Zelda, Deadly Towers, Metroid, Castlevania
1987Metal Gear, Mega Man, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, After Burner, Blades of Steel, Dragon Spirit, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
1988Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Bros 2, Blaster Master, Battle Chess, The Guardian Legend
1989Mega Man 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game, Ninja Gaiden, Gradius III, Super Mario Land, Minesweeper
1990Super Mario World, Mega Man 3, Dr. Mario, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, Populous
1991Sonic the Hedgehog, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time, Terminator 2: Judgement Day The Arcade Game, The Simpsons Arcade Game, Mega Man 4, Street Fighter II, Base Wars, Battletoads, Metroid 2, Duke Nukem, The Simpsons: Bart vs. the World, SimCity
1992The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, X-Men The Arcade Game, Mortal Kombat, The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare, Mega Man 5, Baseball Stars 2, Batman Returns, Hook, Ecco the Dolphin, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, Alien 3, Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, Super Star Wars, Krusty's Fun House
1993Sam & Max Hit the Road, Mortal Kombat II, Doom, Day of the Tentacle, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Secret of Mana, Wing Commander: Privateer, Sonic CD, Zombies Ate My Neighbors,The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Mega Man X, Jurassic Park, X-Men, NBA Jam, Star Wars Arcade, Star Wars: Rebel Assault, Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention, Duke Nukem II, Alien vs. Predator, Star Wars Chess, Bio Menace, Monster Bash, Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Halloween Harry
1994EarthBound, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VI, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Super Metroid, Sonic & Knuckles, Doom II, Earthworm Jim, Wacky Worlds, Mega Man World V, Cruis'n USA, Alien vs. Predator Arcade, Tekken, Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage, Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger, Noctropolis, System Shock, Virtual Bart, Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure, Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Killer Instinct
1995Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, Yoshi's Island, Full Throttle, Mortal Kombat 3, Rayman, Tekken 2, Knuckles' Chaotix, Vectorman, Street Fighter Alpha, Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3, Gex, Comix Zone, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Crusader: No Remorse
1996Super Mario 64, Diablo, Super Mario Kart 64, Super Mario RPG, Resident Evil, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, Pilotwings 64, Street Fighter Alpha 2, PaRappa the Rapper, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, Duke Nukem 3D
1997Final Fantasy VII, Fallout, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy Tactics, GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Tekken 3, Blast Corps, Street Fighter III 2nd Impact, The Simpsons: Virtual Springfield, Dink Smallwood, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Mortal Kombat 4
1998The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Fallout 2, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Banjo Kazooie, Sonic Adventure, Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside, F-Zero X, Half-Life, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Dope Wars, Soulcalibur, Gex: Enter the Gecko, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
1999Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc: Chapter of the Flowers of Oblivion, Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete, Chrono Cross, Resident Evil 3, Super Smash Bros., Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, WWF WrestleMania 2000, Shenmue, Final Fantasy VIII, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Quake III Arena, Planescape: Torment, Donkey Kong 64, Elf Bowling
2000Diablo II, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy IX, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, Elasto Mania
2001Grand Theft Auto III, Metal Gear Solid 2, ICO, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Halo: Combat Evolved
2002Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Resident Evil (remake), Metroid Fusion, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
2003The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Half-Life 2, WarioWare: Twisted!, Cave Story, Metroid: Zero Mission, Doom 3, Peasant's Quest
2005Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, Stinkoman 20X6, Guitar Hero
2006The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mother 3, Jaws Unleashed, New Super Mario Bros, Thy Dungeonman 3, Merry Gear Solid: Secret Santa, Wii Sports, Sam & Max Save the World, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Dead Rising
2007Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, BioShock, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Peggle, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
2008Mega Man 9, Fallout 3, Braid, Dead Space, Grand Theft Auto IV, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Peggle Nights, Dangeresque Roomisode 1: Behind the Dangerdesque, Street Fighter IV, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Super Street Fighter II HD Remix, Mario Kart Wii, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
2009Demon's Souls, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Infinite Space, Uncharted 2, Plants vs. Zombies, Resident Evil 5, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, FarmVille, Crush the Castle, Tower of Heaven, Don't Look Back, Guitar Hero: Metallica, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Angry Birds, Brütal Legend, Assassin's Creed II
2010Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare, Fallout: New Vegas, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Limbo, Cursed Treasure: Don't Touch My Gems!, VVVVVV, BioShock 2
2011Dark Souls, Super Mario 3D Land, Batman: Arkham City, Mario Kart 7, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Mortal Kombat, Dead Space 2, Let's Golf 3D, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2012Diablo III, Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil: Revelations, Resident Evil 6, Crimson Shroud, Angry Birds: Star Wars
2013The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Batman: Arkham Origins , Super Mario 3D World, Gone Home, Farcry 3: Blood Dragon, Tiny Death Star, Papers Please, Flappy Bird, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Injustice: Gods Among Us
2014Alien: Isolation, Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope, Dark Souls II, Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Lords of the Fallen
2015Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, Batman: Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Mortal Kombat X, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows, Sword Of Xolan, Mad Max, Star Wars Battlefront
2016Dark Souls III, The Last Guardian, Street Fighter V, Doom, Hyper Light Drifter, Superhot VR, Arizona Sunshine, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, No Man's Sky
2017The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Hollow Knight, Resident Evil 7, Nioh, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, Sonic Mania, Horizon Zero Dawn, Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Thimbleweed Park, Rick & Morty: Virtual Rick-ality, Injustice 2, Star Wars Battlefront II, Metroid: Samus Returns, Cuphead, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Dead Cells
2018Red Dead Redemption II, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus (remake), Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Mega Man 11, God of War, In Death, SoulCalibur VI, Dragon Ball FighterZ, The Messenger, Celeste
2019Mortal Kombat 11, Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2, Shovel Knight: King of Cards, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Vader Immortal, Blasphemous, Until You Fall, Katana Zero, The Outer Worlds, Kingdom Hearts III
2020Half-Life: Alyx, Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part II, Doom Eternal, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, Cyberpunk 2077, In Death: Unchained, Streets of Rage 4, Mortal Shell

Last edited:
My list:
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Bloodborne
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- Demon's Souls
- Dark Souls
- Dark Souls 3
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
- The Witcher
- Persona 5
- Diablo II
- Half-life
- Deus Ex
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- Nioh
- Fallout 4
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry
- Catherine
- Limbo
- God of War
- Berserk Millennium Empire Arc: Chapter of the Holy Demon War
- Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Killzone 3
- Battlefield 1

Really hard to pick up for a list, I have a lot of games to include and probably I would change a lot but let's face it, decisions need to be made.

Boy, that's a tough one, but here goes:

2019 Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Resident Evil 2, Judgement, DMC 5
2018 Red Dead Redemption II, Spider-Man, God of War, MH: World
2017 Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, Gravity Rush 2
2016 The Last Guardian, Dark Souls III
2015 Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight
2014 Dark Souls II
2013 AC IV: Black Flag, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Arkham Origins
2012 AC III, Mass Effect 3
2011 Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2 (PS3), Batman: Arkham City
2010 Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas
2009 Demon's Souls, AC II, Batman: Arkham Asylum
2008 MGS 4, GTA IV
2007 Bioshock, Mass Effect, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, , Assassin's Creed, God of War II
2006 Final Fantasy XII, Onimusha: DOD
2005 Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Shadow of Rome, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
2004 Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, DMC 3, Onimusha 3, MGS3: Snake Eater, GTA: San Andreas, DBZ Budokai 3, YuYu Hakusho: Dark Tournament
2003 True Crime: Streets of LA
2002 GTA: Vice City, TimeSplitters 2
2001 Final Fantasy X, Grand Theft Auto III, Metal Gear Solid 2, Ico
2000 FF IX
1999 FF VIII, Resident Evil 3
1998 Marvel Vs Capcom, Fallout 2, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Sonic Adventure
1997 FFVII, Fallout, FF Tactics, Tekken 3, FIFA 98
1996 Super Mario Bros (Wrong year, I know. But it was my first game ever, so...), Virtua Cop 2

Pretty sure I gamed a lot more than that, but that's what I can recall of the top of my head. Memory's a little cloudy, especially about anything prior to 2001.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
As with the last thread, you pick your top games for each year, but now you're choosing for your entire life! This means Grail and Rhombaad don't have to worry about how behind the times they are.

:ganishka: Thanks, buddy! Here’s my list so far. I based the years that games came out on the Wikipedia lists by year, which I believe are based on the earliest release dates. Hence the reason why Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 are listed as coming out the same year.

I’ll be adding to this list as I make my way through the list.

2012 Mass Effect 3
2010 Mass Effect 2, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
2008 Mass Effect, Rock Band
2007 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
2006 Final Fantasy XII
2005 Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
2004 World of Warcraft, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Halo 2
2003 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2002 Kingdom Hearts, Onimusha 2: Samurai’s Destiny
2001 Halo: Combat Evolved, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Onimusha: Warlords, Devil May Cry
2000 Final Fantasy IX, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Perfect Dark, The Bouncer
1999 Final Fantasy VIII, FreeSpace 2, EverQuest
1998 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft, Resident Evil 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Half-Life, Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War, Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, 1080° Snowboarding
1997 Final Fantasy VII, GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Doom 64
1996 Super Mario 64, Pokémon Red & Blue, Quake, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Mario Kart 64, Crash Bandicoot, Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Marathon Infinity
1995 Yoshi’s Island, Chrono Trigger, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest, Marathon 2: Durandal, Dragon Quest VI, Panzer Dragoon, Suikoden, Donkey Kong Land
1994 EarthBound, Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, Mega Man X2, Donkey Kong Country, Doom II, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Marathon, System Shock, Mega Man V
1993 Secret of Mana, Doom, Mega Man X, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Star Fox, Sonic CD, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Mega Man 6, Street Fighter II Turbo, SimCity 2000
1992 Dragon Quest V, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy V, Mega Man 5, Wolfenstein 3D, Alone in the Dark
1991 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Castlevania IV, Final Fantasy IV, Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge, Mega Man 4, Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge, Final Fantasy Adventure
1990 Super Mario World, Dragon Quest IV, Final Fantasy III, Mega Man 3, The Secret of Monkey Island, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, Wing Commander, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, Dr. Mario, F-Zero
1989 Tetris (Game Boy & NES), Akumajō Densetsu, The Revenge of Shinobi, Super Mario Land, Phantasy Star II
1988 Super Mario Bros. 3, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man 2, Dragon Quest III, Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), Final Fantasy II, Battle Chess
1987 Mega Man, Dragon Quest II, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear (MSX2), Phantasy Star, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
1986 The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Dragon Quest
1985 Super Mario Bros.
1984 Duck Hunt, Excitebike

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
2019 Ion Fury, AMID EVIL, Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
2018 DUSK, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Celeste, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Into the Breach
2017 Hollow Knight, , Sonic Mania, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Disgaea 2 PC, A Hat in Time, Tales of Berseria, Trails of Cold Steel, RE7
2016 Nu Doom, Disgaea PC, Titan Quest Anniversary Edition, Sorcery, FURI, Owlboy
2015 The Age of Decadence, Pillars of Eternity GOTY, The Witcher 3, Divinity: Original Sin, POSTAL 2: Paradise Lost, Trails in the Sky SC, Uderrail,
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Ronin, Shadowrun: Hong Kong
2014 RE4, Shovel Knight, Legend of Grimrock 2, Trails in the Sky, Painkiller, Shadowrun: Dragonfall
2013 Rayman Legends, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Stanley Parable, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2012 Dishonored, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, Mark of the Ninja, Hotline Miami, POSTAL 2, Rayman Origins, Alan Wake, Legend of Grimrock, Doom 3: BFG
2011 Mario Kart 7, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Sonic Generations, Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine
2010 Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, F.E.A.R., Vanquish
2009 Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, Dragon Age: Orgin
2008 DMC4, MGS4, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
2007 HL2:EP2, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Portal
2006 HL2:EP1, FFXII, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, OKAMI
2005 DMC3, Shadow of the Colossus, Republic Commando, SW: Battlefront 2, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Killer7, Psychonauts, Ninja Gaiden Black
2004 Half-Life 2, KoToR2, MGS3, Halo 2, Doom 3, Fable, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
2003 Jedi Academy, KoToR, Max Payne 2, Beyond Good & Evil, Tales of Symphonia, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Legacy of Kain: Defiance,
The Temple of Elemental Evil
2002 Morrowind GOTY, Jedi Outcast, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, REZ, Halo, Super Mario Sunshine, Icewind Dale 2, Gothic 2, Arx Fatalis
2001 Throne of Bhaal, D2: Lord of Destruction, Gothic, MGS2, Ico, DMC, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Anachronox, Arcanum, FFX, Max Payne, Wizardry 8, Soul Reaver 2
2000 Baldur's Gate II, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Majora's Mask, M&M8, Banjo-Tooie, Icewind Dale, Grandia 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, FFIX, Thief 2
1999 Planescape: Torment, System Shock 2, Berserk: Guts' Rage, Soul Reaver, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, FFVIII, SF3: 3rd Strike, M&M7
1998 Baldur's Gate, Half Life, Fallout 2, M&M6, Xenogears, Ocarina of Time, MGS, RE 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Unreal, Marvel vs. Capcom, Thief
1997 Fallout, FFVII, SotN, Blood, Tekken 3, The Curse of Monkey Island, Diddy Kong Racing, Shadow Warrior, Carmageddon, GRANDIA, Doom 64, Quake 2
1996 Quake, SM64, Diablo, Daggerfall, MK64, Pilotwings 64, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood Omen, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, RE, MK:Trilogy
1995 Chrono Trigger, The Dig, MK3, Yoshi's Island, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Rayman
1994 Doom II, System Shock, FF6, TIE Fighter, SF2:Turbo, Wizardry VII, Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
1993 Doom, Sonic CD, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Samurai Shodown, Betrayal at Krondor, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
1992 Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld, Darklands, Star Control 2, Sonic 2, Super Mario Land 2, DQ:V
1991 Street Fighter II, Sonic, Super Castlevania IV, Monkey Island 2, Wizardry VI
1990 The Secret of Monkey Island, Ultima VI, DQ:IV, Super Mario World, Castle of Illusion

Massive lists! It's amazing you guys could separate them by year. Incredible.

Numero uno for me is Contra (nostalgia and memories of playing with my brother in the afternoons after school and being upset about who pushed off who/ couldn't keep up/ etc.).

Other than Contra, I've spent a lot of time playing King of Fighters (94 through 99), Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake II, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Castlevania, Gradius, Kung Fu, Prince of Persia (DOS), Super Mario II and III, Out Run, F-zero, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Excite Bike, Samurai Showdown and some more. Super Contra on the other hand had a cool unexpected thing ... the
earthquake
in stage 3.

Griffith

I'm very pleased with the response in here, especially my ulterior motive of getting at least partial access to Rhombaad's elusive LIST, but I've spent my last few updates pruning games that weren't really the best or what I'd consider favorites so it wasn't such a "games I've played" list, including great, or renowned, games I've played but kind of didn't like.

I've tried adding some great games I think I would like or believe I would if I had played them in their time, but it can be hard and counterproductive when you've played all their offspring already. I'm thinking of having my own list to follow and using this one as a template or guide:

Interesting that the last consensus pick on here is Breath of the Wild from 2017, I would think that Read Dead Redemption 2 would be next or at least make the list at some point soon.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm very pleased with the response in here, especially my ulterior motive of getting at least partial access to Rhombaad's elusive LIST

I should’ve known. :ganishka: If you PM me your e-mail address, I’ll send it to you. It’s too large to post here, I think.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What a strange exercise. Time creates a distance that my old brain can't always keep up with. As a result, I can't even trust my own selections, because these are half from the heart, and half aided by Google to narrow down a list of the best games in a given year. But I'm the kind of guy whose favorite DS game is Infinite Space, which definitely won't be anywhere on an all-time list from Google. So, odds are high I'm old and forgot some of my real niche favorites here. Afterall, I don't remember my best friends from third grade, and neither does Google.

It's worth noting that Google also gets so many of the dates wrong because it lists the very first release of a game, not its localized version; or its arcade version first, not the home version. Soul Calbur is a good example. Very few people played the arcade version in 1998. But almost everyone played the Dreamcast version in 1999. So which year does that go in? Chrono Cross has the same issue one year later.

There's also the problem of the retroactive nature of the list. Games I didn't play upon their release but did later in life, I'm counting as the release year's top, but not in the year I played it. Finally, I did my best to cap it at 3 games per year, but there are many years where I'd easily be able to name 5 of my absolute favorites in a year.

1981Donkey Kong
1982Ms. Pac-Man
1983N/A
1984Tetris
1985Super Mario Bros
1986Legend of Zelda, Pin·Bot
1987Double Dragon
1988Mega Man 2
1989Ninja Gaiden, Sim City, TMNT Arcade
1990Super Mario World, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mega Man 3
1991Zelda 3, Final Fantasy IV, Street Fighter II
1992Streets of Rage 2, Lunar: Silver Star, Sonic 2
1993Doom, CV: Rondo of Blood, Secret of Mana
1994Final Fantasy VI (favorite of all time), Super Metroid, Doom II
1995Chrono Trigger, Warcraft 2, Front Mission
1996Quake, Super Mario 64, Street Fighter Alpha 2
1997Final Fantasy Tactics, CV: Symphony of the Night
1998Half-Life, Zelda: OoT , Gran Turismo 1,
1999Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, Silent Hill
2000Diablo II, Deus Ex, Berserk: GUTS' RAGE
2001ICO, Grand Theft Auto III, Silent Hill 2
2002Metroid Prime, Warcraft 3, Battlefield
2003Zelda: Wind Waker, Ikaruga, CV: Aria of Sorrow
2004Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4
2005Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4, CV: Dawn of Sorrow
2006Tetris DS
2007Portal+Half-Life 2: (Ep 2), Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect
2008Spelunky, Left 4 Dead, Farcry 2
2009Infinite Space, Left 4 Dead 2, Picross 3D
2010Super Mario Galaxy 2, VVVVVV, Mass Effect 2
2011Dark Souls, Portal 2, Super Mario 3D Land
2012FTL, Crimson Shroud, Dragon's Dogma
2013Gone Home, Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Steamworld Dig
2014Shovel Knight, Monument Valley
2015Nuclear Throne, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Life is Strange
2016Doom, Inside
2017Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Steamworld Dig 2
2018Dead Cells, Into the Breach , Obra Dinn
2019Resident Evil 2, (haven't played that many games this year yet…)

Last edited:

Griffith

I'm pleasantly surprised you decided to partake, and so thoroughly! It made for brief bar conversation between Aaz and I, though I failed to extract his list.

What a strange exercise. Time creates a distance that my old brain can't always keep up with. As a result, I can't even trust my own selections, because these are half from the heart, and half aided by Google to narrow down a list of the best games in a given year. But I'm the kind of guy whose favorite DS game is Infinite Space, which definitely won't be anywhere on an all-time list from Google. So, odds are high I'm old and forgot some of my real niche favorites here.
There's the whole retroactive nature of the list. Games I didn't play upon their release but did later in life, I'm counting as that year's top, but not in the year I played it. Finally, I did my best to cap it at 3 games per year, but there are many years where I'd easily be able to name 5 of my absolute favorites in a year.

I ran into all these issues too, and questioning my choices ("are these MY favorites, or prominent landmark games I've played?" It can be like saying your favorite movies every year are the best picture nominees =). Then when you remember that obscure one you once obsessed over... how important was it in the long run if it's like the sixth game you thought of from that year? And if you have five "favorites" in a year do you really have any (in 1998, yes =)? Etc, etc. That's part of the reason I'm pruning now more than adding. Though I'm keeping some that are more like confessions like FarmVille, Angry Birds Star Wars (which inspired me to get a smart phone), Tiny Death Star, etc. For a while I played those games to the exclusion of all others, so while I wouldn't nominate them for any GOTY awards, I sure voted with my time.

It's worth noting that Google also gets so many of the dates wrong because it lists the very first release of a game, not its localized version; or its arcade version first, not the home version. Soul Calbur is a good example. Very few people played the arcade version in 1998. But almost everyone played the Dreamcast version in 1999. So which year does that go in? Chrono Cross has the same issue one year later.

For the longest time I stuck strictly to original release dates, Japanese or otherwise, but recently started opportunistically fudging the dates in some cases, I think for Mega Man 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog specifically, so they could be number one in a given year and because I wouldn't have had access to them anyway (but that's a whole can of worms, so basically I just cheated because they deserve top spots). RE4 vs SotC might be the most interesting specific case that perfectly represents bigger ideological schisms: a transcendent, one-of-a-kind art house masterpiece that's stood the test of time versus an influential, state-of-the-art blockbuster masterpiece that helped define its era and the mainstream to this day (right up to RE2).

Anyway, as promised, below is a list of the "best games" I've yet to play (some for a reason, like CoD
gutsbarf.gif
). I guess I really need to play Gran Turismo first though because you have it beating Fallout 2, Resident Evil 2, and Metal Gear Solid in 1998! :isidro:

Zork
Missile Command
Defender
Joust
Robotron: 2084
Elite
Bubble Bobble
Out Run
R-Type
Prince of Persia
Another World
Civilization
Lemmings
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Civilization II
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Pokémon Red and Blue
Gran Turismo
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Grim Fandango
Panzer Dragoon Saga
StarCraft
Thief: The Dark Project
Age of Empires II
Homeworld
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Deus Ex
Jet Set Radio
Thief II: The Metal Age
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Advance Wars
Animal Crossing
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Halo: Combat Evolved
Ikaruga
Max Payne
Rez
Silent Hill 2
Kingdom Hearts
Soulcalibur II
Beyond Good & Evil
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Burnout 3: Takedown
Katamari Damacy
Rome: Total War
World of Warcraft
Civilization IV
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
God of War
Psychonauts
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Gears of War
Hitman: Blood Money
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
God of War II
Halo 3
Team Fortress 2
Persona 4
Left 4 Dead 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
Portal 2
Dishonored
Journey
Inside
Overwatch

Last edited:
This list is a mess. I’ll get around to organizing it by year at some point.

I listed some of the ones I personally really enjoyed that I haven’t seen much here toward the top.

Conkers bad fur day
Perfect dark
Eternal darkness sanities requiem
Dragon’s dogma dark arisen
Kirby super star
Kirby’s dream land 3
Mega man battle network 2
No more heroes
Time splitters future perfect
Space station Silicon Valley
Far-cry instincts: Predator
No more heroes 2
Lost planet 2
Super Mario RPG Legend of the 7 stars
Castlevania dawn of sorrow
Castlevania order of ecclesia
Castlevania SOTN
Prince of Persia the sands of time
Earthbound
Halo Reach
Red dead redemption 2
Grand theft auto San Andreas
Chrono Trigger
Super smash brothers melee
Super smash brothers ultimate
Dark souls 3
Metal gear solid 2
Final fantasy 6
Resident evil 2
Resident evil remake
Resident evil 2 remake
Resident evil 4
Halo combat evolved
Shadow of the colossus
Ico
Starcraft
Warcraft 3
Diablo 2
Portal
Portal 2
Tony hawks pro skater
Legend of Zelda the wind waker
Legend of Zelda majoras mask
Pokemon red and blue
Devil may cry 3 Dante’s awakening
Metroid prime 3
Donkey Kong country 3
SW: Battlefront 2 (not EA one)

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail
This isn't nearly as definitive as I thought it would be (that would take a lot time and brain power). Things can tend to get bogged down with sequels and remakes as well as the same games that everybody says like MGS and Resident Evil, but I tried think of some underdogs (like games that my friends and I spent a lot of time playing at the time) and limit to as few titles as possible.

1988Earliest game I remember playing is probably Oregon Trail. Who's with me on that?
1989The Revenge of Shinobi / Golden Axe
1990Ninja Gaiden 2
1991Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
1992Kid Chameleon / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in time
1993Sam and Max Hit The Road
1994Doom II
1995Suikoden / Dark Forces
1996Die Hard Trilogy / Blood Omen
1997Golden Eye 007 / Oddworld: Abes Odyssey
1998Suikoden 2
1999Syphon Filter / Age of Empires 2, Tony hawk's pro skater
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy / Kessen / Diablo 2
2001Twisted Metal: Black / Soul Reaver 2 / Halo
2002Mortal Combat: Deadly Alliance / Onimusha 2: Samurai Destiny
2003Manhunt / Legacy of Kain: Defiance / Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004Ninja Gaiden / Need for Speed: Underground
2005Evil Dead: Regeneration / Doom 3
2006Suikoden V / The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007Mass Effect / Lost Odyssey
2008Devil May Cry 4 / Soulcalibur IV / Too Human / Braid
2009Batman: Arkham Asylum
2010Mass Effect 2 / Limbo
2011Dark Souls / Portal 2 /Deus Ex: Human Revolution / Rayman Origins
2012Mass Effect 3
2013Grand Theft Auto V / Dead Space 3 / Tomb Raider
2014South Park: The Stick of Truth
2015Fallout 4 / Dark Souls 3
2016Uncharted 4
2017South Park: The Fractured but Whole
2018Red Dead Redemption 2

I wonder if anyone can help me remember a game that's nagging at me. While going down memory lane I remembered a game from the PS1 days that was probably from Japan where you'd run around third person (fixed camera?) in a mansion setting traps and things. After a while some bad guy would enter the mansion and begin looking for you and you'd have to lead him into your traps and various torture devices that were around. Ring any bells?

Last edited:

Griffith

This isn't nearly as definitive as I thought it would be (that would take a lot time and brain power).

Tell me about it. I've spent months if not years revising my list in here and the previous "your games of the decade" thread (where I started building from).:shrug:

Things can tend to get bogged down with sequels and remakes as well as the same games that everybody says like MGS and Resident Evil, but I tried think of some underdogs (like games that my friends and I spent a lot of time playing at the time) and limit to as few titles as possible.

That's a pretty worthwhile strategy, its easy for it to become a list of games you've played rather than true favorites, especially if you feel inclined to include obvious ones you've played, "Mario Bros! Ever heard of it!?"

1993Sam and Max Hit The Road

Nice! No Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle though? BTW, Dead Space 3 really worth it for the single player? I've fired it up multiple times but can't get the damn thing working right with my steam controller, even running it through steam. Maybe I'll try it with a PS4 controller since I don't have one of the standard X-Box variety.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nice! No Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle though?
Oh yea them too. Sam and Max stood out to my friends and I because it had more of an edge. "Did he just say 'damn'? In a video game!".

BTW, Dead Space 3 really worth it for the single player? I've fired it up multiple times but can't get the damn thing working right with my steam controller, even running it through steam. Maybe I'll try it with a PS4 controller since I don't have one of the standard X-Box variety.

I liked it. More of the same. But in an age where sequels to a decent original hit game can end up being bland cash ins, Dead Space 3 managed to keep it fresh with the snowy environments. Great to play in winter during a blizzard.

Griffith

Oh yea them too. Sam and Max stood out to my friends and I because it had more of an edge. "Did he just say 'damn'? In a video game!".

I still quote that game to this day, "Jesus Christ in a birch canoe!"

The opening with the mad scientist is classic, "Friends!? FRIENDS!? We've only gone out together three times, and already you're telling me you just want to be friends!? You never gave me a chance! And for that, you'll fry like a pork sausage." ... "[It's not that...] It's just, well, you're too nice a guy, I guess."

It had a sarcastic satire and acerbic wit throughout too, like when Sam tells the obvious Woody Allen analog, "I love all your movies, especially the early, funny ones." :ganishka:

For Aaz, "This is virtual reality? I think I'm going to be sick." :guts:

The running commentary on various Americana and tourist traps, freak shows, big foot conventions, mystery spots, giant balls of yarn, tar pits, all epitomized by British-born Country music star Conroy Bumpus, was the best though. Check out this cover of King of the Creatures by the composer of Shovel Knight:

virt - King of the Creatures

I liked it. More of the same. But in an age where sequels to a decent original hit game can end up being bland cash ins, Dead Space 3 managed to keep it fresh with the snowy environments. Great to play in winter during a blizzard.

Sounds interesting, I'll see if I can get it controlling. If not maybe I'll just download it for PS3 or something; computers, it's not any one big problem, it's just every little thing's a problem! =)

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno about best of all time but of course I had a blast with that game. Particularly assassinating Maggie Chow in various ways. Top 4? So glad you asked!

Playing the original Deus Ex once a year is pretty much a tradition of mine by this point, I remember that the first time I've ever played it was right after the original Crisis came out, (Crisis, the game that made pcs all over the world cry, against a game whose graphics looked like shit even back in 2000 and still ive never felt that level of immersion in a game to this day...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
(Crisis, the game that made pcs all over the world cry, against a game whose graphics looked like shit even back in 2000 and still ive never felt that level of immersion in a game to this day...

That's... just not true, man. Crysis was beautiful then, and it's still a really good looking game. I just played through the first hour last week to test out my new RTX card (buttery smooth -- finally!). Even the character models look impressive for today, and the game is more than 12 years old. I had a lot of fun with it back in the day, hot-swapping the powers to do crazy shit like leap up in the air and super-strength punch a helicopter down on a group of soldiers.

That's... just not true, man. Crysis was beautiful then, and it's still a really good looking game. I just played through the first hour last week to test out my new RTX card (buttery smooth -- finally!). Even the character models look impressive for today, and the game is more than 12 years old. I had a lot of fun with it back in the day, hot-swapping the powers to do crazy shit like leap up in the air and super-strength punch a helicopter down on a group of soldiers.
You misunderstood me, i said Crisis made PCs cry because most of them struggled to run it. What i was saying was, that, right after i played a game with some of the most....no THE MOST phenomenal "graphics" back when it came out (2007), I right after played the original Deus Ex for the very first time, a game who's graphics were out of date when it first came out (2001) and still i never played a game to this day who's world felt as believable and immersive as Deus Ex, that says a lot about a game, the world building was incredible, the phenomenal writing was only made better by the terrible (filled to burst with racist accents) dialogue, all the ways you could tackle different objectives and story beats, ah fuck this, i'm reinstalling Deus Ex right now...

P.S. I really enjoyed Crisis, who doesn't like grabbing north Koreans by the throat...
pJq73cq.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone can help me remember a game that's nagging at me. While going down memory lane I remembered a game from the PS1 days that was probably from Japan where you'd run around third person (fixed camera?) in a mansion setting traps and things. After a while some bad guy would enter the mansion and begin looking for you and you'd have to lead him into your traps and various torture devices that were around. Ring any bells?

Tecmo's deceoption?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You misunderstood me, i said Crisis made PCs cry because most of them struggled to run it. What i was saying was, that, right after i played a game with some of the most....no THE MOST phenomenal "graphics" back when it came out (2007), I right after played the original Deus Ex for the very first time, a game who's graphics were out of date when it first came out (2001)

Ah, my bad. I should have realized the point you were making, but what I saw was "crysis dated graphics." :shrug:

Certainly graphics aren't something that really mattered to Deus Ex. In fact, often the technical limitations lended a kind of unintended humor to things. What mattered most was the scripting complexity, capable of accounting for multiple ways to achieve a goal, and variable factors inherited from previous missions (like offing Navarre early in the game).

It's particularly impressive that Deus Ex was such a success in light of the publisher/studio it came out of -- Ion Storm -- which was an absolute train wreck.

Whoah Tecmo's Deception. I had that game as a kid and I haven't thought about it since the 90s. Loved that game and it was pretty damn dark for its time. I always wanted to play the second one but could never find it. Kagero's design looked really cool.

My top games of my lifetime can easily be summed up with Silent Hill 2 and Bloodborne. There's a ton of other games that I love but it's pretty hard to match those two and the impact they've had on me. Especially Silent Hill 2.

Tons of runner-ups though like, Silent Hill 1 and 3, Fatal Frame 1-3, Dark Souls 1 and 3 (Demon's Souls can come too), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6 and 7 etc.

Top Bottom