Zodd, Griff and the whole brady bunch

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
So, as some of you round here know, I read mostly the italian version of berserk, which now finished with volume 21. I remeber seeing something about the return of griffis on this board, about how he kicked zodd's arse the moment he returned.
Now, in this version, when griffis is reborn, zodd simply runs up to him, kneels down in a "beauty and the beast" manner and gets caressed like a doggy. Is that ok, or did they cut some scenes?
Furthermore, the scene had great impact on my vision of Zodd. He seemed so sad at the moment, as if he saw in griffis someone who would save him from "torment", if he had anything tormenting him. I felt sorry for Zodd.
And why they call him "The Immortal"?
Beyond the obvious answer, let's see if he truly is "Immortal".
We all agree he is an apostle, therefore, expendable.
Is immortal an attribute he got from the humans that survived battled against him , or is there deeper meaning in it. Some God Hand extra reward, or a feature he gained with his beherit?
Skully also adresses him as "The Immortal". May it truly be he is indestructible, and his service to griffis is given in exchange for death? Let's talk...

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
I don't think he's immortal. That's just what sk calls him and what zodd considers himself... well zodd seems to have lived for a pretty long time. He didn't make the experience to die, so i think that's why he believes he's immortal... but i think he actually isn't...
dammit that post sucks... please don't tie me into knots... ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, as some of you round here know, I read mostly the italian version of berserk, which now finished with volume 21. I remeber seeing something about the return of griffis on this board, about how he kicked zodd's arse the moment he returned.
Youre confusing the events in volume 17 (Zodd's dream sequence) with the events of 175 (which you just read). Nothing was censored (most likely)
Furthermore, the scene had great impact on my vision of Zodd. He seemed so sad at the moment, as if he saw in griffis someone who would save him from "torment", if he had anything tormenting him. I felt sorry for Zodd.
Thats up for interpretation, and I saw it as Zodd having to bow down to someone for the first time in his life.

Is immortal an attribute he got from the humans that survived battled against him ,
Thats what Rickert explains to Pippin in volume 5...
Skully also adresses him as "The Immortal".
No, he calls him Undead. Which simply means that hes 'died' and come back to life several times.

White_Hawk

Youre confusing the events in volume 17 (Zodd's dream sequence) with the events of 175 (which you just read). Nothing was censored (most likely)

Thank god. As I said I had the impression someone said Zodd fought griff when he was reborn, but that jsut proves I'm starting to hallucinate from excessive work.
Thats up for interpretation, and I saw it as Zodd having to bow down to someone for the first time in his life.
I really wonder is it something he did because "he had to" or because he believes Griffis is truly a "saviour", or was he just seeing him as the USO. Still, Zodd growling on his knees before the radiant image of Griffis was waaay to impressive for me.

No, he calls him Undead. Which simply means that hes 'died' and come back to life several times.

Well PlanetManga (italian editor) thank you very much. They translated it as if Skully also said "Immortal".

I'm outta ammo now.
And why does my post look so bad? I did try to experiment with the controls, but this?

No, he calls him Undead.
It could go both ways, actually... ^^;
But since he's called "Nosferatu", and that word means "undead" (well... it may not _really_ mean "undead", but that's the most widely known "translation", so... ^^; )...

puella

Berserk forever
Well, Why every post which follows Walter's post has always "Reverand Holley" over their icons?
only my computer wrong?
I was very happy that I think my level jump up to that level when i first found "R-H" over my icon but it was absolutely just my thought!

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
*grins*

It's a problem with those titles.... sometimes they spill over to the posts afterwards, it's not your computer. Apparantly that problem is still not fixed *grins*

Hmmm *ponders* I think you'll get rid of the newbie title when you reach 50 posts...

gambatte yo!

White_Hawk

It could go both ways, actually... ^^;
But since he's called "Nosferatu", and that word means "undead" (well... it may not _really_ mean "undead", but that's the most widely known "translation", so... ^^; )...

Well, if it's "undead", is it zombie like undead or just plain ol apostle regeneration? It does change things...I mean, he did mesh up plenty of apostles, he is generally BIGGER than most of them...I dunno, I think he is more than your average childreaneatingwifebeatinghumanturnedmonster...

puella

Berserk forever
White Hawk you change icon~
I love that--- real White Hawk~

I wish my Luca had more icons;yeah~ she was just a supporting charater so she wasn't in many panels in the manga.
Luca is my only female character i like. too bad i don't like any female chars except her.
sorry, I am definitely way off topic. ; ::)

Well, if it's "undead", is it zombie like undead or just plain ol apostle regeneration?
Don't forget that Rickert explained that the "Nosferatu" part came from the rumor that Zoddo died several times in battlefields, and yet showed up again a bit later.
It could be a nickname given to him by "mere" humans, with no deep meaning...
Of course, the Skull Knight refers to him in a similar way, so there may be something else... We'll see.

White_Hawk

White Hawk you change icon~
I love that--- real White Hawk~

Whaay thank you!!!!
Round these parts (my country, to be precise), the hawk has a rather patriotic value. I thought to be "reborn" on this board under the new icon, and who would tell, you noticed. That's nice.  ;)

Oh, and about Zodd. My (wiiild) guess is that he is an apostle that is more closely connected to God Hand, probably because of his strenght and love for combat, which helped him emerge through the plethora of aposltes who sought power and wealth along with the indulging of their perverse lust. I see Zodd as a pure aposlte that (un)lives with a certain purpose, to battle, but also he may have a yet unveiled connection to GH...however, time will tell.

Top Bottom