News & Not News Megathread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Like the youtube thread, only for news & not news stories you don't really want to start a thread over, like this:

Sick Sea Turtle Swims Right to Hospital Doorstep

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Sick-Sea-Turtle-Pays-Unexpected-Visit-To-The-Doctor.html

A sick sea turtle swims to the doorstep of the only place in the world that is licensed solely to treat turtles

By TODD WRIGHT

A sick sea turtle made a special trip to the doctor, swimming across the keys to find the Turtle Hospital.

Stop reading if you've heard this one.

Why did the sea turtle cross the Florida Keys? To go to the doctor.

A loggerhead sea turtle nearly swam to the door step of the Florida Keys Turtle Hospital, the only licensed veterinary facility in the world that solely treats sea turtles.

The 73-pound reptile was suffering from a bacterial infection and somehow knew exactly where to go for help -- no Yellow Pages needed.

Staff members at the hospital actually waited several hours before treating the turtle because they thought it may have just been lost when it showed up at the dock of the treatment center.

But the turtle stuck around, probably unaware of the Turtle Hospital's "no walk-ins" policy.

Eventually, he was treated with meds and now has a new home in a blue tank until he's all better.

No doubt, the hospital will get plenty of referrals from their new patient when he is back with his friends -- Michelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael.

Oh, Todd.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's a pretty amazing story actually. I wonder how the turtle did it, since it's unlikely it was just a pure coincidence.

ShamWow pitchman Vince Shlomi arrested for punching prostitute

032809shamwow.jpg_20090328_07_09_38_3-282-400.imageContent

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/people/1500466,shamwow-guy-vince-shlomi-arrested-032809.article
He's known for hawking a super-absorbent towels on in commercials, but this pitch man found himself in hot water -- without the aid of a ShamWow -- last month.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if the ShamWow can wash away the evil in his soul with its super absorbent material?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Detroit Metal City Singer Kaji Beat Up, Robbed in Sweden

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-04-05/detroit-metal-city-singer-kaji-beat-up-robbed-in-sweden

Japanese musical artist Hideki Kaji was beat unconscious and robbed of 20,000 kronor (about 250,000 yen or US$2,500) worth of film equipment during the filming of a music video in Sweden on April 4. Kaji has released a dozen albums in Japan, where he is known as "Mr. Sweden" for his longtime interest in the country.

Kaji performed the "Amai Koibito" theme song as the mild-mannered Soichi Negishi lead character for the soundtrack of last year's Detroit Metal City film. Toshio Li's live-action movie adapted Kiminori Wakasugi's rock-n-roll comedy manga of the same name. Kaji released two singles as the Negishi persona, and he also sang and made a voice acting cameo in Studio 4°C's anime video adaptation. (Actor Ken'ichi Matsuyama played the Negishi character onscreen, while Kaji provided his singing voice.)

Kaji was on a road in the southern Swedish city of Malmo with a camera team, but the team had left the filming location on a break to take photographs of their children. Kaji was watching over the filming equipment alone, and he was dressed in a pineapple costume for the video. According to the local police, three male individuals literally beat the stuffing out of Kaji — his pineapple costume had burst open and all of its stuffing was pulled out. Kaji lost consciousness and when he awoke, the film equipment was gone.

The Swedish police are searching for the assailants, but as of the morning of April 5, they have not identified any suspects.

Source: Natalie

Update: The maintainer of the bulletin-board system on Kaji's official website has posted an update on Kaji's condition at 1:33 a.m. JST on Monday. According to the post, the maintainer contacted Kaji, and confirmed that Kaji is doing well now. The maintainer adds that the filming will continue, and Kaji's "voice sounded very upbeat."

English translations of the local press reports have begun to appear online. However, what the Japanese press translated as "stuffing pulled out of his costume," an English translation of the Swedish reports rendered as "lost a [dental] filling."

They must really dislike pineapples in any shape or form in Sweden

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What a ... weird incident. I didn't even know Detroit Metal City was anything but a manga series.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
What a ... weird incident. I didn't even know Detroit Metal City was anything but a manga series.
I have to say that the Anime is pretty god damn funny. Also I need to see the Live Version adaptation.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I have to say that the Anime is pretty god damn funny. Also I need to see the Live Version adaptation.

You should! It's just as funny.

In fact, I noticed something Berserk-related in the movie. I don't know if it's considered a spoiler, so click here if you're curious.
It's volume 30!
:serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
You should! It's just as funny.

In fact, I noticed something Berserk-related in the movie. I don't know if it's considered a spoiler, so click here if you're curious.
It's volume 30!
:serpico:
Well, they're both published in Young Animal, so it's not surprising. But always cool whenBerserk gets more exposure :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I DEMAND MORE AMAZING ANIMAL STORIES.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090406/ts_afp/australiaanimaldogoffbeat_20090406082210
SYDNEY (AFP) – A pet dog that fell overboard in rough seas off Australia has been reunited with its owners after surviving alone on an island for four months, reports said.

Sophie Tucker, apparently named after a late US entertainer, fell overboard as Jan Griffith and her family sailed through choppy waters off the northeast Queensland coast in November.

The dog was believed to have drowned and Griffith said the family was devastated.

But out of sight of the family, Sophie Tucker was swimming doggedly and finally made it to St Bees Island, five nautical miles away, and began the sort of life popularised by the TV reality show "Survivor."

She was returned to her family last week when Griffith contacted rangers who had captured a dog that had been living off feral goats on the largely uninhabited island, in the faint hope it might be their long-lost pet.

When the Griffiths met the rangers' boat bringing the dog to the mainland they found that it was indeed Sophie Tucker on board.

"We called the dog and she started whimpering and banging the cage and they let her out and she just about flattened us," Griffith told the national AAP news agency.

"She wriggled around like a mad thing."

Griffith said that when the dog was first spotted on the island she had been in poor condition.

"And then all of a sudden she started to look good and it was when the rangers had found baby goat carcasses so she'd started eating baby goats," she said.

Sophie Tucker, a member of the Australian cattle dog breed, had been quick to readjust to the comforts of home, complete with airconditioning, Griffiths said.

"She surprised us all. She was a house dog and look what she's done, she's swum over five nautical miles, she's managed to live off the land all on her own," Griffiths said.

"We wish she could talk, we truly do."

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Featherweights: Detroit police halt pillow fight

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090405/ap_on_re_us/odd_pillow_fight_prevented

DETROIT – Police in Detroit have ruffled some feathers after they cracked down on an organized pillow fight at a downtown park.

The Detroit News reports that police at Campus Martius Park prevented the feathery fight Saturday by disarming pillow-toting participants. The bout was part of a worldwide event organized on social networking Web sites.

Michael Davis of Hamtramck says police confiscated the 32-year-old man's pillows but returned their cases. He says he was told that he needed a permit.

Scott Harris of Ferndale told the News that it's "not illegal to own a pillow."

Detroit police spokesman James Tate says cleanup was the issue.

they must have been working undercover to crack this one down.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_en_tv/people_r_lee_ermey

MISSOULA, Mont. – Actor R. Lee Ermey is living up to the Marine Corps' mantra: "A Few Good Men."

The former Marine drill instructor and host of The History Channel's "Mail Call" was in Missoula on Monday to film a segment for his upcoming series, "Locked and Loaded," when he said he found some cash. A lot of cash.

Ermey, best known for playing the drill instructor in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," said he was driving with crew member Harlan Glenn to a museum when he spotted a black object on the road.

Ermey stopped the car and picked up the bag, which contained cash and checks that looked like they were meant for deposit in a Native American fund.

"Just on one deposit slip alone was, like, $3,700, and another one for $2,800," Glenn said. "There was easily $8,000 in cash and the rest in checks."

Ermey told the Missoulian newspaper he thought: "Some poor guy right now is probably getting fired, probably having the worst day of his life. So what we did was we went right down to the Wells Fargo bank and deposited it for him."

Don Luke, a business expert at the Wells Fargo branch, said he was surprised to see "The Gunny" stroll in.

"We weren't sure if it wasn't 'Candid Camera,'" Luke said.

That's pretty damn cool. :serpico:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I DEMAND MORE AMAZING ANIMAL STORIES.

Here's this one for you Bob.

http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/42744732.html

COEUR d'ALENE -- These days, a North Idaho neighborhood lives under the threat of a sneaky midnight burglar notorious for airing neighbors' dirty laundry.
The suspect: Jack, a 1-year-old feline who can't keep his paws off of anything, especially other people's clothes.

When night falls, Jack rises and sets out on the prowl, looking for pants, shirts and even underpants to claim as his own.

"It's his fetish. He collects clothing mainly at night," said Jack's owner, Judy Waring. "He lives life in the fast lane."

Waring said Jack usually heads out for a heist around 4 a.m., and sometimes stays out all night.

And as the sun rises, Jack falls fast asleep. By day, he's one tired cat, looking as innocent can be, as he catches up on sleep with his legs lazily stretched out on the carpet.

Waring said Jack wasn't born astray; she said he picked up his sneaky habit last October.

Since then, Jack has brought home two towels, a stuffed duck and 27 pairs of gloves - some of which were brand new, just to name a few acquisitions.

"Gap sun hat, these (men's underpants) speak for themselves, designer shorts - lined, which I may decide to keep," Waring said.

Waring said her favorite among the things Jack has brought home is a black dressy glove.

"It's so dressy and nice. I tried it on once, and it looked really wonderful. And I'm hoping Jack brings the other one home," she said.

But as the loot piled up, Waring decided she couldn't keep Jack's habit a secret any longer.

She hung up all the goods on a clothesline in front of her house, hoping neighbors would find something they've been missing. There was so many things on display that when Waring's neighbor saw the setup, she thought she was having a yard sale.

"I wanted to absolve any blame that we might receive," Waring said.

Defusing potential blowups, Waring said, is about all she can do.

"He likes it. It's his thing. And if I decided to make him stop, how would I?" she said. "I don't know, but I know there's a woman who charges $60 an hour to come and talk to your pets. We might have her come and talk to Jack about this."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Found this through Slash Dot, which I check occasionally:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/04/15/inside-the-james-bond-villain-data-center/
In an underground bunker 100 feet beneath Stockholm lies a unique facility operated by the Swedish ISP Bahnhof. It’s become known as the “James Bond Villain Data Center” after it was featured on the Pingdom web site last year. Dean Nelson of Data Center Pulse recently got a tour of the data center from Bahnhof CEO Jon Karlung, who provided a look at the many unusual features of the facility, a former military bunker designed to withstand a hydrogen bomb blast. Karlung has said he drew his inspiration for many of the center’s flourishes from James Bond villains (especially Ernst Blofeld), hence the waterfalls, greenhouse-style NOC, glass-enclosed conference room “floating” above the colocation floor, and blue-lit diesel engines (supposedly used in German submarines). T

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/04/15/inside-the-james-bond-villain-data-center/

Fucking awesome. I wish I owned a place like that. :judo: A secret place from which we would administrate SK.net. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Fucking awesome. I wish I owned a place like that. A secret place from which we would administrate SK.net.
And I'm sure a place like this would have a ... creative way of disposing of banned members   :badbone:

There are some more awesome pics of the place here: http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/11/14/the-worlds-most-super-designed-data-center-fit-for-a-james-bond-villain/

I think I'll check out their hosting prices. :void:

PS: Wow, their website is just awesome. " Hur många megaton tål din server?" translated as: "How many Megatons can your server withstand?"

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:

That's pretty cool. :guts:

I found this, but not as impressive as yours Walter

http://altjapan.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/mushi-mecha.html

Check out this incredible mushi (bug) mecha that was profiled on the Japanese TV show "Nanikore Chin Hakkei" last night. Stills from the segment here (the control box in particular is great) or click here for a link to a blog featuring photos of it being assembled for the shoot (which took several trucks, a crane, and seven hours.)

Designed and built by an Ibaraki man in his garage over the course of eleven years, the "Kabutom MX-03" looks like a prop from a Power Rangers spin-off but is an actual working vehicle. Why build it? Because owning an eleven meter long, fifteen ton robot beetle makes you a mack daddy -- in Japan or anywhere else.

Shaped like a kabuto-mushi (rhinocerous beetle, a favorite design of Japanese toymakers and, uh, candymakers), it can be remote controlled or piloted from the cockpit (visible on the left side), and is capable of carrying passengers inside its shell. Alas it more "shuffles" than walks -- the legs pull it along the ground, while the weight is supported by wheels. But hey -- not bad for something created for the love of it in a garage. Passion like this represents the best part of Japanese otaku culture.
Click here for the video

11 years, he must really like beetle robots.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/28/low.flying.plane/index.html
The YouTube video shows dozens of people standing in a parking lot, watching the plane approach. As it nears, they begin to run. Someone unleashes an expletive. "Run, run!" says one person. "Oh my God," cries another.

Two officials said the White House Military Office was trying to update its file photos of Air Force One.
*WONK WONK* Just grabbin a photo, pay no attention to the looming 747 hurtling toward your city!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/28/specter.party.switch/index.html

The Regressiv...er, Republican Party continues to marginalize itself. Democrats are going to have 60 seat filibuster-proof majority.

Top Bottom