Who will be the first to die among Guts' current companions?

Who will be the first to die among Guts' current companions?

• Total voters
Inspired by Aazealh's Who will be the first to die among Griffith's lieutenants? poll, I think there was a thread like this a few months ago, but I don't think it was put to poll.

To recap some current affairs in the Berserk world - right now, Guts and company are on a lone vessel in the middle of the ocean, heading towards the mysterious (elf island) Skellig. Recently, elves all over the world have been dissapearing - even more recently,  :ganishka: has more or less rent a hole in the fabric of reality directly to 'hell', so tremendously that it's astrally visible to Schierke even at her distance from the event. Guts has recently been dreaming about :chomp: , who has suggested to Guts that he's merely dormant, and on next awakening plans to slaughter everyone - to repeat, in a way, the slaughter of the previous Band of the Falcon during the Eclipse. Griffith himself is accelerating his taking of power in this plane of reality, and has recently commanded the apostles to show their true selves in the fight against Ganishka's... 'spores' I suppose is a good a word for them as any.

So that's just a few of the things going on in their world right now. Sure, everything's... seemingly calm on the boat, at the moment, but when has that ever lasted? And the last good many EPISODES have been pretty light, compared to the good bulk of the Berserk story so far. One might even say that, aside from having to deal with  :chomp: , life for Guts now is overall pretty comfortable - and we know that can't last. Personally, my best total guess idea for the near future of his group, is that the ship will be wrecked, and the surviving members of the crew will wash up on shore, seperated - but that's purely speculation based on nothing more than the 'shipwrecked and scattered party must regroup' storytelling device, which is a great way to put party members together in stressful and relationship-building scenarios.

Got sidetracked there - basic question: Who will be the first to die among Griffith's current companions?

For the purposes of this poll, I'm leaving out recent party members such as Roderick, Magnifico, and Azan, as I personally feel their death would have a less emotional impact on the Guts himself and the story in general, and they're not quite 'part of the main group' just yet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Man, what a morbid topic. Can't we add a "they'll all live" option? Because I don't think that any of the above will necessarily have to be killed. I think Guts will be able to conquer the Beast when it come down to the critical moment. Losing any of them, especially by his own hands, would be absolutely catastrophic for him.

Also, I personally think your scenario of them all being shipwrecked and scattered seems unlikely and a little too painful for the readers to bear, after having been teased about Elfhelm now for 8 years.

Ah, good point, adding a 'No Deaths' option would have been a good idea; unfortunately, it doesn't seem that posted polls can be edited; hm.

Heh, agreed about them being shipwrecked being a bit much - not to mention more than a bit cliche. Still, it might lead to some interesting character interactions; but then again, it /would/ feel rather like filler, given the efforts to get so far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Ah, good point, adding a 'No Deaths' option would have been a good idea; unfortunately, it doesn't seem that posted polls can be edited; hm.
I added it, and voted :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I voted that they'd all survive. I don't find the arguments people use to demonstrate that a death will necessarily occur very pertinent. One or more characters might die before the end of the series, but it's not something that can be predicted based on previous volumes. If I absolutely had to nominate someone though, it'd be Serpico. He just seems a bit lost at this point in the story, not sure of what he should do with his life.

Bekul said:
Recently, elves all over the world have been dissapearing

Recently? I don't think so, unless you're talking from SK's point of view.

If we are talking current companions then can we also add roderick, magnifico and even Azan?

I would like to vote for magnifico

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Bekul said:
For the purposes of this poll, I'm leaving out recent party members such as Roderick, Magnifico, and Azan, as I personally feel their death would have a less emotional impact on the Guts himself and the story in general, and they're not quite 'part of the main group' just yet.
Jaze1618 said:
If we are talking current companions then can we also add roderick, magnifico and even Azan?

I would like to vote for magnifico

That's why we have the poll with choices. Like Bekul said, their demise might not impact Guts, the story or the attachment to characters to the reader.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I voted for Serpico, even though I feel like none of the present group will be lost. I figure if there had to be a choice, Serpico would go first. Just the feeling I get.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
That's why we have the poll with choices. Like Bekul said, their demise might not impact Guts, the story or the attachment to characters to the reader.

Says who? I'd be really sad if Azan died, and Roderick is a rather sympathetic character, one that's greatly helped Guts and the others.

I'm against for someone to die. But if it really going to happen then it will be Serpico. He is gallant and very protective to his sister. Probably will die saving her, when Guts won't be available or unable to.

Well,

Shierke can't die because she's just too cute.
Casca can't die because... come on, that would be seriously fucked up.
Isidro can't die because he's a comic relief character.
Farnese can't die because she's so helpless, it would be kind of lame.
The elves can't die because they're mainly for comic relief also.

So... It has to be Serpico! It kind of fits Serpico's character to tragically sacrifice himself, but I guess only time will tell... :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BLG said:

Those points are quite debatable. These characters have a lot more depth than you're giving them credit for.

Oburi

All praise Grail
BLG said:
Well,

Schierke can't die because she's just too cute.
Casca can't die because... come on, that would be seriously fucked up.

So... It has to be Serpico! It kind of fits Serpico's character to tragically sacrifice himself, but I guess only time will tell... :ganishka:

And Judo can't die because he's such an innocent nice guy who helps.... oh yea...

It's pointless to blurt out stuff like this. In many ways, Berserk is not like conventional literature in the sense that you can predict who will live and who will die based on generalizing typical character types . Seriously man by now you should know Miura won't follow these kind of conventional storytelling rules, and even when he does, somehow he's still being unconventional. I'm not even going to vote because I don't want to see any of them die and if I start to predict which character Miura might kill off I'll reduce the quality of the story for myself. Berserk is just to real and important for me. This isn't Lost, at least not for me.

It's like, would you look at the group of friends you hang out with and wonder which one them is going to die first? I don't see any point to a poll like this.

A

avidwriter

I think we can all agree that after Volume 13 everything changed and no one is safe. Except maybe Guts but even then...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
In many ways, Berserk is not like conventional literature in the sense that you can predict who will live and who will die based on generalizing typical character types . Seriously man by now you should know Miura won't follow these kind of conventional storytelling rules, and even when he does, somehow he's still being unconventional.

Sounds to me that when you talk about "conventional literature" you really just mean bad literature.

Oburi said:
I'm not even going to vote because I don't want to see any of them die and if I start to predict which character Miura might kill off I'll reduce the quality of the story for myself.

There's an option for people who think none will die. Please pay attention.

avidwriter said:
I think we can all agree that after Volume 13 everything changed and no one is safe. Except maybe Guts but even then...

No, we're not agreeing.

X

Xem

Man... the first to die? That's tough. :slan:

All are tragic, really.... I voted Casca because I always assume the worst. Let's hope it's not true.

Dani

Smile!
Hasn't Guts been through enough? Poor guy has already lost one family, fuck, technically he lost two. He deserves a break.

Actually, thinking about it, if he lost more people close to him, I think the Beast would have a field day.

Yeah, I guess it's inevitable then.

As much as I'd like to say they'll all survive, I can't help but get a feeling Serpico won't make it. Morbid, I know, but he does strike me as one of those characters that will sacrifice himself to save somebody. The guy's just too likeable though, and I hope I am wrong. :serpico:

Oburi said:
And Judo can't die because he's such an innocent nice guy who helps.... oh yea...

It's pointless to blurt out stuff like this. In many ways, Berserk is not like conventional literature in the sense that you can predict who will live and who will die based on generalizing typical character types . Seriously man by now you should know Miura won't follow these kind of conventional storytelling rules, and even when he does, somehow he's still being unconventional. I'm not even going to vote because I don't want to see any of them die and if I start to predict which character Miura might kill off I'll reduce the quality of the story for myself. Berserk is just to real and important for me. This isn't Lost, at least not for me.

It's like, would you look at the group of friends you hang out with and wonder which one them is going to die first? I don't see any point to a poll like this.

Now come on, don't take this so seriously! I certainly didn't, and that probably shows in my silly reasoning, which was meant to be a bit... funny? Maybe? (Although I still hold that Serpico will be the first one to go if the companions start dying.)

For me it's always fun to speculate...

Oburi

All praise Grail
BLG said:
Now come on, don't take this so seriously! I certainly didn't, and that probably shows in my silly reasoning, which was meant to be a bit... funny? Maybe? (Although I still hold that Serpico will be the first one to go if the companions start dying.)

For me it's always fun to speculate...

Yea i hear ya. Though I don't think it's fun to speculate which one of these characters will go, which is why I didn't want to vote. It's not that I think they will all live necessarily, I know anything is possible, I just don't want any of them to die (like everyone) and it's going to hurt soo bad if and when that happens. I'd rather not speculate on the deaths of the heroes. The death's of Griffith's lieutenants are a little different, those evil bastards will get whats coming to them (hopefully).

I just don't want to hear any "I told you so" or " Ha! I was right, I win!" when Serpico or any other of Guts' companions meet their end. :judo:

X

Xem

It seems logical to me that someone close to Guts will die again. At some point Guts will lose control of the Berserker armor, whether it be because of Griffith or simply because the armor has it's own Od outside of the wearer. The idea of Serpico dying, for example, could totally be at Guts hands... as the story has somewhat alluded to.

Then there's Isidro and his dream to be the greatest swordsman.... kinda sounds like a dream he'd sacrifice for, should that be something available to him at any point. But who's close to him aside from his current companions? Though much more unlikely than what I said above, whose to say it won't happen.

And finally, to readdress my choice of Casca... what better person to die to transform Guts into a completely unstoppable raging berserker than her? Though a tad cliche, and totally sad, it's not that far-fetched. Hell, Guts could, and probably would, kill everyone if something like that happened.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
It seems logical to me that someone close to Guts will die again.

Based on what reasoning?

Deci said:
At some point Guts will lose control of the Berserker armor, whether it be because of Griffith or simply because the armor has it's own Od outside of the wearer. The idea of Serpico dying, for example, could totally be at Guts hands... as the story has somewhat alluded to.

My question is: what would it bring to the story? Guts fails to control the armor, kills one of his companions. Is devastated because he's lost his personal battle against his own dark side. Then what? You think he'd just go on killing more apostles with the armor after that? If so, you're really misunderstanding the character. I doubt he'd ever forgive himself if such a thing happened.

Deci said:
Then there's Isidro and his dream to be the greatest swordsman.... kinda sounds like a dream he'd sacrifice for, should that be something available to him at any point.

Isidro becoming an apostle in order to be a great swordsman? Yeah, that really fits his mindset... Not. :schierke: And being an apostle wouldn't help with that dream anyway (something I'm sure Isidro is well aware of). Who among the monsters is a better swordsman than Guts? He's even beaten Zodd.

Deci said:
And finally, to readdress my choice of Casca... what better person to die to transform Guts into a completely unstoppable raging berserker than her? Though a tad cliche, and totally sad, it's not that far-fetched. Hell, Guts could, and probably would, kill everyone if something like that happened.

And after that, what happens? The "Game Over" screen?

Who knows what he'd do. The only thing we can be sure of is that he'd be completely crushed. And I honestly don't know how the story would go on after that.

Top Bottom