Love the cover.

UPDATE:
vujacicabond.jpg

(Thanks Uriel)​

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Love it.

Is he holding a flashlight underneath his head?

Yeah, it seems like a candle is at the bottom. I would say is a drawing from when he is in his cell just sitting there comtemplating.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Uriel said:
Is it just me or does Musashi look like Sasha Vujačić?

No, I've thought the exact same thing during Lakers broadcasts! Also, I stole your big sexy cover image. :slan:

Walter said:
Love it.

Is he holding a flashlight underneath his head?

Haha, he's holding a torch under there, oldskool style, to tell tales of the sword!

"Then I cut him in half... and didn't remember how! I was frozen and drooling as if I was suffering from a cold."

Th3Branded0ne said:
Yeah, it seems like a candle is at the bottom. I would say is a drawing from when he is in his cell just sitting there comtemplating.

Yeah, it does look like the lighting in his cell area and gives that vibe. Very appropriate.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is probably common knowledge, but what chapters are set to be included in this volume?

Griffith

261 - 269.

Anybody getting, or already ordered, this from Japan? Uriel?

Griffith

The contrast between how Vagabond and Berserk are handled is interesting. For instance, no word on Vagabond 30 from Viz, but you can already pre-order up to volume 32 of Berserk on amazon.com (obviously helps that Dark Horse is still a few volumes behind, while Viz has hit the wall), and Dark Horse doesn't even have it on their site yet. Speaking of websites, Dark Horse does an excellent job staying up to date with it's releases, including 3-5 page previews of all of them, while Viz still doesn't even have cover images for volumes 25 and 26. Of course, when it comes to presentation of the actual finished product, Viz's Vagabond has been second to none.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The explanation is probably not as simple as this, but upon first glance at these differences, it looks like Viz and DH just budget their time and money differently. Viz is focused on the presentation of the work, and DH spends more time with the pre-release.

Griffith

I'd say it looks more like Musashi while not being him. But I guess that's the point.

UPDATE: Viz releasing English edition volume 30 on November 17th, 2009.

http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?product_id=9223

Here's the write up and product details:

Vagabond, Vol. 30

With his right leg severely injured, Mushashi is forced to take a step back from the treacherous spiral of life and death battle. Uncertain about his future, he's sure about one thing--he wants to be where he once was, when he could all but see everything interconnected in its entirety. But what will he have to do to get there again?

MSRP: $9.95
Length: 200 pages
ISBN: 1-4215-3438-X
In stores: Nov. 17, 2009

No cover image yet. Happy to finally get this news.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great! How did you stumble on the information, if I may ask. Just a routine check of their website? I've been waiting for this news for far too long.... :mushieyes:

Well I couldn't be more happy to hear about this. Looks like I shall buy this as well, thanks for the news Griffith. :casca:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose this also dispels the rumor me and Griff were discussing a few days ago -- that Viz might be ending their production of individual volumes in favor of exclusively producing VIZBIG editions. Thank god that doesn't appear to be true :mushiooh:

Griffith

Walter said:
Great! How did you stumble on the information, if I may ask. Just a routine check of their website? I've been waiting for this news for far too long.... :mushieyes:

Exactly, just a random check because I was bored of looking for the new episode for 10,000th time this week. If anyone wants to talk about Tori Pan #207 though, we're ready to rock! :mushirolleyes:

slan69 said:
Well I couldn't be more happy to hear about this. Looks like I shall buy this as well, thanks for the news Griffith. :casca:

No problemo. :mushismile:

Walter said:
I suppose this also dispels the rumor me and Griff were discussing a few days ago -- that Viz might be ending their production of individual volumes in favor of exclusively producing VIZBIG editions. Thank god that doesn't appear to be true :mushiooh:

Oh, well I misunderstood the conversation, because I was only talking about the regular volumes being supplanted by the BIGs as far as shelf space at book stores goes. Speaking of which, I ordered the first VagaBIG from amazon as a gift for a friend, a nice big free hit to get him addicted. :mushiwink:

Th3Branded0ne said:
That's great news! I really just like it this way. I suppose they might still sell the big editions if sales are good for it too.

They are indeed continuing the VagaBIGS, with volume 5 and 6 available for pre-order on Amazon. Four more of those, and they're all caught up. :mushiooh:
On that note, what are they going to do if Vagabond ends in say, volume 34 or 37? :mushigrin:

Griffith

Got my copy in the mail the other day, and boy does it clarify some things that weren't clear.

Most shocking of which, Baiken didn't survive after all, and Rindo killed herself by his side. Worst of all, this was only discovered by Sloggo as he returned to finish them off. Now, that may just be Sloggo's interpretation of why Musashi returned, but the facts being what they are, that's still some dark revisionist history. :???:

Griffith

Yeah, it's brutal, check it out...

Episode 265, starting with the appearance of Sloggo:

Sloggo: "..."

"I never should have attended to his wounds." "

It's too late anyway."

"I'll kill them."

"I'll let you watch me hurt that brat...
...and then I'll finish you off, Kohei."

*Next page*

Sloggo: "So you didn't make it after all."

"Where's the brat?"

*Next Page*

Sloggo/Musashi: "That may have been when I realized..."

"The man who lost died a bold death."

"While I, who had supposedly won, had to sneak off and run away."

Despite the panel with the bloody knife, I had faith he had survived and lived happily with Rindo. I don't know, since we only saw Sloggo revisiting the house and not Musashi, it was open to interpretation.
But that translation leaves no doubt. Brutal, indeed.

Griffith

Another thing made more clear are Ueda's intentions.
While Ueda is at first badmouthing Musashi and saying that he's going to die soon, like he's merely taunting/haunting her, the more she keeps ignoring him, the more he keeps nagging her about how he's going to die soon, and doesn't she want to help him? Eventually Otsu asks him if he really has a grudge against Musashi, because it seems almost like he's worried about him. What he, and the swordsman of the dojo Musashi visits, say is interesting, that Musashi can not die a meaningless death, because he now represents the value of the sword. For him to be unceremoniously killed by nobodies would be like a total rejection of the sword.

Top Bottom