Awesome IFC movie whos name goes unknown

Berserker_Paradox

Fate demands we strive for what we'll never get.
Okay so this has been driving me crazy lately:

A while back I stumbled across this really cool Japanese movie (subbed) on IFC about half of the way in. The movie was based around a boy hero, girl princess, big epic battle with anime-like characters (monsters, kappa turtle,etc), you know the drill. I think the boy was sucked into some dreamworld or something, I can't really remember all the details but the movie was way badass! Unfortunately I can't remember the name nor enough details around the plot to search for it and purchase a DVD. Are there any asian cienema fans out there who can suggest a possible movie that the above details fit to? I feel like the movie was fairly recently released, like some over the past 6 years.

Any help is surely appriciated!

-MJ

sorry, MJ, I'm not well-viewed in Japanese cinema (and much less in the more recent films), but this was the first thing that popped in my head:

The Great Yokai War by Takashi Miike.

Have you tried doing a search on IFC? Depending on how far back it was, you might be able to find it on their schedule, and if not, maybe a profile or something to jog your memory??

Oburi

All praise Grail
We should just make this an official IFC channel thread. It's really one of the best channels you can get and im always getting sucked into the weirdest films that I've never heard of. One of my favorites was Buddy Boy, an insane film that I would have never, ever seen if it wasn't for IFC.

And no sorry paradox I'm not sure what which one your talking about, but I think I may have seen it too because it sounds familiar. IFC plays too many weird japanese films. They even played the enitre Zatoichi series every saturday morning a few years back, like 20+ films.

Sounds like Sakuya: yôkaiden (Sakuya: Slayer of Demons).

IFC is great. It has turned me on to so many great films. It's where I first was blown away by Bad Lieutenant and spawned a deep-seeded love for director Abel Ferrara ever since.

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
Sounds like Sakuya: yôkaiden (Sakuya: Slayer of Demons).

IFC is great. It has turned me on to so many great films. It's where I first was blown away by Bad Lieutenant and spawned a deep-seeded love for director Abel Ferrara ever since.
Me too! they just played it again recently.

Top Bottom