What Are You Playing?

IcePuck said:
Oddly enough considering the name, 'Survival' doesn't have any of the survival aspects from New Vegas - It just makes stimpacks and radaway take effect slower. Arguably, the higher difficulties also make the game easier, as a lot more "legendary" enemies will spawn that all drop the stronger "legendary" items.

Such incongruities aside, the difficulty in this game feels more exciting than in the last few Bethesda games. It's not a difficult game by any means, even on Survival, but there are difficult moments. At level 50, I've encountered two 'Legendary Major Gutsies' by now, and they completely ventilated me each time. :ganishka:

That's too bad about the survival being a lot simpler. Then again in New Vegas, all the 'survival' aspects became negligible pretty fast. There were some harder battles on the hardest difficulties in New Vegas, but it was pretty easy as a whole (expansions included).

Fallout 3 could be ridiculous on very hard though. Everything was easy until the expansion enemies started spawning. It's not even that they're hard, they just have insane amounts of health. When you're fighting 5 enemies at once that take a billion shots each, it just gets stupid hah.

I just actually came across a normal Major Gutsy in Fallout 4 and it tore my health to pieces pretty fast. I look forward to said legendary ones hah.

D

DarkFalconKnight

Skyrim has always been THE game for me. I have 3500+ hours and i still enjoy every play-through. Mods have made the game better in every way and I simply can not take my hands away if i have the time.

Skyrim, game of the decade. :carcus:

Was at a gaming tournament few weeks ago to watch a friend compete in MKX and thought it'd be fun to participate in the KOF one they had the next day. I knew I was nowhere close to the level of the competitors there and hadn't played the game enough but wanted to experience it none the less. Lost in the reg bracket, won in the losers bracket and lost again. Most fun was at the friendlies and seeing those guys do infinite combos in matches against me, frustrating being on the receiving end but cool to watch. So I've been playing KOF XIII on and off since, getting used to the game mechanics and speed. I didn't like it when it came out and it's not as enjoyable as the classics like 94, 95, 99 but close. Prefer playing on keyboard over arcade stick. Anyone down to play multi-player?

Aulë

Studying Electrical engineering.
Right now I am playing:

Dark Souls in anticipation of the 3rd
darksoulsimage.jpg

Hearthstone
hearthstone1.jpg

And I just finished Undertale
undertale_logo.png

I recommend Undertale to everyone who likes that kind of RPG

I recently bought a dirt cheap PS vita out of a local add. As i entirely missed this generation of handhelds, i am trying to play some of the best ones. I instantly bought Shovel Knight and i've been having the best time. Really good game.
I also bought Spelunky and i am currently reading up to find a good RPG, i'll probably get "Ys: Memories of Celceta" has anybody played it ?

I started DmC: Devil May Cry recently. I really dig it and I love Combichrist (as absurd as they are), so fuck yes to this. But I've also played way too many action games lately so I somewhat veered away from it.

So, I started a new rogue in WoW due to an annoying itch to play one again. I love leveling slowly in this game and seeing everything, so I'm pretty casual about it.

I'm also modding up Fallout 4 today to give it a go on 'very hard'. I love playing them on the hardest difficulties and I want to see what it's like before the upgraded survival mode comes out. I was really excited for the new survival but a couple aspects of it leave me apprehensive to play it. I'll probably end up doing it though~

KnightZel

Vlways $trive Vnd Prosper
Currently doing another run through of the witcher 3. It's pretty interesting cause i'm seeing just how much i've missed from my first play-through. Especially on the Skellige Isles.

I finished Shovel Knight, man what an amazing game. I couldn't put the vita down. I really enjoyed the Kratos fight, really well done.
Now i don't know if i'll try N+ or start a new game with Plague Knight.

Acumen

God of beauty, ecstasy, evil, and the abyss.
Tabris said:
I started DmC: Devil May Cry recently. I really dig it and I love Combichrist (as absurd as they are), so fuck yes to this.

That game's pretty good. There's a small thing about Dante's character in it that I've wondered whether it was a reference to Berserk or not. Namely:
after first activating Devil Trigger, Dante gains a small shard of white hair.
But maybe the concept comes from something before Berserk.

I'm all over the place in terms of what I've been playing and recently played, but here's what I can remember:

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition - been playing this a lot lately with my brother. It's awesome. Dual dialogue is great and the game really does a good job at giving you opportunities to roleplay and experiment.

Batman: Arkham Knight - beat this early January. I thought it was a really good installment in the series. Awesome art direction.

Dying Light - beat this late January. One of my favorites from 2015. The story was okay, but everything else was really great. Way better than Dead Island, which I thought was a terrible mess.

Shovel Knight - also beat this late January. Easy, short, light. It was fine for what it was.

Bloodborne - been playing this for over a month now. Fantastic art direction. I'm hoping to wrap it up along with the DLC before Dark Souls III.

Mario Tennis - I returned it after an hour. It was so boring...

Planning on getting: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry: Primal, Dark Souls III, Hitman, Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Backlog: Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Uncharted collection, The Crew, Layers of Fear

Right now I'm playing

Witcher III Wild Hunt (I've finished the main Quest so right now I'm finishing up everything else before doing a NG+)
Witcher III Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone (Right now I'm half way into the quest I think)
Heavy Rain Digital Remaster Edition (I'll get back to the game eventually')

Completed playing

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain
Beyond Two Souls Digital Remaster Edition

Hey guys I've been recently playing "Blade and Soul" an MMO RPG (which I've never been a fan of them)with a decent PvE, and I haven't tried it yet but people are really talking about the PvP arenas. I hope I can finally quit LoL with this BnS thing :ganishka:

Acumen said:
That game's pretty good. There's a small thing about Dante's character in it that I've wondered whether it was a reference to Berserk or not. Namely:
after first activating Devil Trigger, Dante gains a small shard of white hair.
But maybe the concept comes from something before Berserk.

To answer your question, for anyone who's interested, it has to do with the previous installments in the Devil May Cry series, and Dante's original character design. By the end it's back to classic Dante color. (This is my first time doing the quote thing on this website, hopefully it works)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Been playing various virtual reality games on the Oculus Rift for the past few days: Lucky's Tale, EVE: Valkyrie, Farlands... Great stuff. Is anyone here interested in VR? I've been a big fan for a while.

Before that I went through Hyper Light Drifter, that I'd backed on Kickstarter a while back. Nice little game, but unfortunately falls short of those it tries to emulate (Zelda, Metroid...). I also found it too short and easy to breeze through, and the story... Well, I think keeping things mysterious to push people to learn more by finding every little secret is commendable, however when you make it so enigmatic that it's basically incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't clear it 100% in New Game+, you're missing the point. All that criticism aside, it's a great little game, with great gameplay, great pixel art, some very nice music and some pretty good level design, although I found the levels themselves not that memorable. I hope these guys' next game takes it to the next level.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Before that I went through Hyper Light Drifter, that I'd backed on Kickstarter a while back. Nice little game, but unfortunately falls short of those it tries to emulate (Zelda, Metroid...). I also found it too short and easy to breeze through, and the story... Well, I think keeping things mysterious to push people to learn more by finding every little secret is commendable, however when you make it so enigmatic that it's basically incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't clear it 100% in New Game+, you're missing the point. All that criticism aside, it's a great little game, with great gameplay, great pixel art, some very nice music and some pretty good level design, although I found the levels themselves not that memorable. I hope these guys' next game takes it to the next level.

Aaz and I both played through Hyper Light Drifter and finished it at roughly the same time.

I have a similar perspective as Aaz, though I really do think this is a phenomenal game, inherently flawed by falling in the shadow of the inspirations it wears brazenly on its sleeves. Easily my favorite game of 2016 so far. I can't think of a 2D action RPG that's ever handled combat maneuverability and pacing as well. Though death can come quick, once you master your controls and abilities, you feel incredibly powerful. And in that regard, I think reviewers have done this game a disservice by calling it "exceedingly difficult" or "intensely hard." It's not. Just like Dark Souls, there's a bit of a learning curve, and then you begin to understand what the game's rules will and will not allow you to do. Within the space that you are left with, there is no overbearing challenge. If anything, I feel like the game's mostly open-world structure limited the designer's options for scaling up the combat difficulty as the player naturally gets better at it over time.

Music is fantastic, done by the same composer as Fez (Disasterpeace). It has some of the best pixel art I've ever seen, particularly in how things animate. The "story" is about as prevalent as Dark Souls, only minus the item descriptions that give hints and color to the otherwise nonexistent narrative. That's unfortunate, because it will lead all but a small percentage of players to Wikis and YouTube videos to experience the actual story they invested time in playing. That's a failing, in my opinion.
Despite this, I don't think "fully" understanding the story enhances the experience much over just gliding through with your own impressions of what happened.

For those who grew up on SNES action RPGs like Zelda 3 or Secret of Mana, I'd consider Hyper Light Drifter a mandatory experience that complements those games, but comes short of its inspirations. It's just a shame that the developer didn't polish the core concept as much as, say, Nintendo might have.

aquarake

8-bit Wizard
I am replaying Ocarina of Time. The 3DS version this time. Also downloaded Rogue Galaxy on PS4--I really enjoyed that game back in '07.

DasBouf

I'm Noah. I love my waifu and my friends
I've mainly been playing the Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. It's a pretty expansive DLC for Rebirth and I've been having a lot of fun with it. There are a few new items I really hate though.

I found out the other day they're releasing a hard copy version of Resident Evil 4 for the PS4, something I will definitely get. Being one of my favorite PS2 games, I decided to dust off my PS2 (and furiously look for a controller and memory card when I realized I didn't put them with said system) so that I could play the game again. I've finished the game on normal mode, beaten Separate Ways, and now I'm working my way through the Mercenaries mini-game so that I can play professional difficulty with the handcannon.

Playing through the game again has made me realize that it's isn't quite as flawless as I remembered it being. She's still a very beautiful game (one of the best PS2 games of all time?), but some of the things I don't like now are:

- I used to be pretty apathetic towards Leon's one-liners, never really noticing them much less loving them. But playing through the game again I have to say I really didn't like them. I don't have anything against one-liners. After all, I'm a massive Schwarzenegger fan, and he's the king of them. But RE4's use of them is insanely shitty. They're never really used at an appropriate time, and they range from making Leon look like a complete asshole to his coworker for no reason to being completely out of place given the context of the scene. And the worst part is he's dropping them all the time from the very beginning of the game.

- Growing up playing the RE games, Leon was by far my favorite character (outside of Hunk, of course), but I don't think he was the best choice for what Capcom was going for with RE4. I don't have any proof to back it up, but I get the feeling that Capcom was shooting for an 80s-style, Schwarzenegger/Stallone action star feel to Leon. (Hence the Schwarzenegger-style one-liners, for example.) The problem is that's not really who Leon is. Someone like Jack Krauser (with a different personality and non-Plagased) would've worked better if that's what they were going for. Or, preferably, they could've dropped the whole action star thing and kept Leon. I don't know.

- The creators really missed a chance to make RE4 one of the greatest games ever made by dropping the ball when it came to the story itself. I realized this when I had a fairly simple question that I needed answered: The main villain, Osmund Saddler, has an English (possibly German?) name, an Eastern European accent, and is the leader of a cult in Spain that originated in Spain. What the fuck?

After a half-assed google search, I found an interview with Saddler's voice actor where he said he created a "vaguely Eastern European accent" for the character because, essentially, Capcom had given him a blank slate. They had the character model and his role as the main villain. They had his name. But they had nothing else. So the voice actor tried to flesh out the character a little himself.

That opened my eyes to the fact RE4's creators really didn't put much effort into the story and its characters. If they had, and as a result created a more thought out and intricate story/world/characters, I think RE4 would've been in a class of its own.

- The QTEs in this game are the absolute worst, especially the knife fight with Krauser.

Anyway, with all that said, there are aspects of the game I loved then and still love:

- The Merchant is still a total badass. God I love that guy. I just wish they had included him more in the game, as far as the overall world is concerned. I don't mean he should've taken a more active role, but rather I'd have liked it if they did something like include an extra note/memo that fleshes him out a bit. For example, a letter about him (or his orders?) that essentially states there's an England-based Las Plagas cult/secret society (the stereotypical dark, smoke-filled room filled with the world's movers and shakers type of thing), that the megalomaniac Saddler essentially went rogue to try to take over the world, and they sent the Merchant to indirectly support the assassination of Saddler and the destruction of his cult. That could explain why the Merchant has an English accent and Saddler has an English name (and they're the only two characters to wear purple too! :troll:). I don't know.

- Ada. She's so awesome in RE4, and I loved her canon game, Separate Ways. I haven't played RE5 or 6 so I don't know if they reveal it, but I'm dying to know more about the real organization she works for. Or at least their goals.

- Las Plagas. Las Plagas is still one of the coolest enemies/concepts out there. I'd love to see an RE4-2 type of game that ignores RE5 and returns RE4's Las Plagas as the enemy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
I found out the other day they're releasing a hard copy version of Resident Evil 4 for the PS4, something I will definitely get. Being one of my favorite PS2 games, I decided to dust off my PS2 (and furiously look for a controller and memory card when I realized I didn't put them with said system) so that I could play the game again.

RE4 is a Gamecube game, the PS2 version was just an inferior port. :azan:

Beyond that, your problems with the story were immediately evident to me back when I played the game. That's why despite loving the action, I always felt that it missed its chance to be forever remembered as a legendary title. There's much more that you didn't talk about too. Anyway, basically the RE series went to shit story-wise after the first three games. It wasn't super solid to begin with, but Code Veronica just shat the bed, and RE4 was a Resident Evil game in name only.

aquarake

8-bit Wizard
I didn't realize RE4 was getting a physical copy for PS4. I still have my special edition of the GameCube version but I might pick it up since it's been quite a while since I last played the game.

Aazealh said:
RE4 is a Gamecube game, the PS2 version was just an inferior port. :azan:

I've seen that said over and over on the RE fansites I scoured as I looked up info on the game. :ganishka:

I can't imagine playing RE4 without Separate Ways though.

Aazealh said:
Beyond that, your problems with the story were immediately evident to me back when I played the game. That's why despite loving the action, I always felt that it missed its chance to be forever remembered as a legendary title.

Back in the day we had a conversation about RE4, and playing the game again made me think of it. For example, within the first minute or two of the game Leon's talking to his co-worker and makes his first one-liner, a wise-ass remark that was completely unnecessary and made Leon look like a dick. I was reminded of our discussion and that you said you didn't like said remarks. After a loud groan, I thought," Yeah, Aaz has a point there."

A bit of a side note, but your idea that the Las Plagas should've had a connection with the Nemesis tyrant's parasite is absolutely brilliant. A part of me weeps every time I think about it because it's such a great idea, and RE4's creators completely ignored it for some reason.

The saddest part is that the Nemesis' parasite and the Las Plagas work nearly in the exact same way. So not only could there have easily been a connection but they probably got the idea from RE3 and purposefully chose not to make the connection.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, basically the RE series went to shit story-wise after the first three games. It wasn't super solid to begin with, but Code Veronica just shat the bed, and RE4 was a Resident Evil game in name only.

Besides the fact that what I appreciate in games has changed with time, I think that's a big part of why I loved RE4 so much when I was younger. I loved RE1-3, but CV (and the various non-canon games) really left a bad taste in my mouth when it came to the overall RE mythos involving Wesker and Umbrella. I liked the idea that if you removed Ada/Wesker (who were barely part of the story to begin with) and ignore the fact Leon was in RE2 the game had absolutely no connection to the rest of the series.

Now that pretty much every game series I loved has become, at some point, a smoking crater I've learned to go back and appreciate the earlier games in the series without the latter games tainting the experience. But at the time I couldn't do that.

Paopu Milkshake said:
I didn't realize RE4 was getting a physical copy for PS4. I still have my special edition of the GameCube version but I might pick it up since it's been quite a while since I last played the game.

Yes sir. According to Polygon, we're getting RE4, 5, and 6 (starting with 6 and working backwards).

I never played RE5 and RE6 so a part of me wants to get them too just so I can see how the series ended up. But a much louder part of me really doesn't want to. :ganishka:

Top Bottom